Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Houdini is an 11th Generation Tremere living in Chicago, though he likely met his end in the Garou Nation-Camarilla Conflict of 1992.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

That Old Tree posted:

I was poking around for information on the Lower Depths and just skimmed nWoD: Inferno since that's all there really is beyond at most a paragraph-long blurb in a couple Mage books. Is this, uh, as sorta-crappy as it looks? It seems like it's literally just "yes, wicked demons of wickedness, 666 Satan is a gently caress." Which sure I'm glad anyone who wanted that specifically got their book, but it seems hard to stretch that out to 100+ pages without getting pretty thin. It also seems to have hardly anything to do with what the Lower Depths are suggested to be.

Inferno has far more to do with Werewolf than Mage, being probably the source of the Maeljin and their Wounds. (Shunned by the Moon may step this back a bit, given its refocus of the servants of the Maeljin as acolytes of Anti-Renown.) The Lower Depths are a Mage-specific term and seems to have suffered from dueling writers syndrome, where the notion of Lower Depths as various worlds even further separated from the Supernal than the Fallen World is occasionally clashes with using "Lower Depths" primarily as a term for the Inferno. The former eventually won out over the latter, with the Inferno thrown a bone as what seems to be a particularly robust Lower Depth whose signature lack is probably "virtue" or "selflessness" or something. By spreading vice, they act as a vacuum for virtue.

As for whether World of Darkness: Inferno is sorta crappy...

Mother May I posted:

It is a sickening thing, the succubus, a demon driven by Lust, yes, but often for a very damning purpose: to have a child. By stealing the semen of sleeping men, the succubus could impregnate herself with a child born of true sin. Here, the Possessed with this Vestment gains +3 Social rolls when dealing with children. They find the character very… parental. A dark irony, indeed.

It's not even super good for being born to die world is a gently caress 鬼神 kill em all 1989, because the book vacillates between "Hell is real and there are real no foolin Satans down there" and "demons are just products of our own vice infecting ghosts and spirits and Hell is just the cosmic garbage dump where our worst natures go." Which feels like an attempt at an Unknown Armies style "you did this" but isn't committed to hard enough to do anything but deflate the impact.

Loomer posted:

Houdini is an 11th Generation Tremere living in Chicago, though he likely met his end in the Garou Nation-Camarilla Conflict of 1992.

Loomer, at this point you could say drat near anything about the setting of the oWoD and I would believe it's in a book somewhere.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 13, 2019

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Tremere Houdini should have a character arc revolving around either learning Necromancy, or insisting that all necromantic Disciplines are quackery or apostasy and destroying anyone who possess them or claims to.

Or learning it himself and regretting a whole lot of how he spent his free time.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Tremere Houdini abusing thaumaturgical rituals to literally give himself abs of steel.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

pseudosavior posted:

Tremere Houdini abusing thaumaturgical rituals to literally give himself abs of steel.

Isn't that just Resilience?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Yeah I'm confused what Mulva's point is. That the game is heavy with ridiculous niche powers? That the supernatural abilities tinker with the fundamental assumptions of the world?

That the metaplot is dictated and not arising naturally out of a platonic ideal where everyone has perfect information? That seems kind of obvious, so I wonder what I' missing.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

Did a Garou punch him through the gut, because if not the writer hosed up.

Actually, that's what happened and no one's changing my mind :colbert:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Unfortunately we don't know - his fate is unrecorded as he doesn't appear directly in Under a Blood Red Moon but also doesn't reappear in Chicago by Night's second edition (no comment on the V5 one - I boycotted it so I have none of it) so it's just a presumption he died.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Loomer posted:

na, he escaped

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Houdini is a mortal who keeps injecting himself with Tremere blood in order to perform Feats of Magick when required.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Yeah I'm confused what Mulva's point is. That the game is heavy with ridiculous niche powers? That the supernatural abilities tinker with the fundamental assumptions of the world?

That the metaplot is dictated and not arising naturally out of a platonic ideal where everyone has perfect information? That seems kind of obvious, so I wonder what I' missing.

That a vampire society that focused on teaching people how to deal with their condition rather than be total assholes in a feudal death match with existence would be very, very different indeed. But hey if someone wants to step I'm entirely willing to go three pages of bullshit deep. I earned that red name fair and square.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Soonmot posted:

na, he escaped

Where did he escape to :v

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Vampire Houdini escaped to being free of dumb Vampire politics.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Mulva posted:

That a vampire society that focused on teaching people how to deal with their condition rather than be total assholes in a feudal death match with existence would be very, very different indeed.

Yeah it's called the Ordo Dracul. Imagine how different the real world would be if we weren't assholes in a feudal death match for existence. THAT'S something worth spilling ink on.

In D&D.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Yeah it's called the Ordo Dracul. Imagine how different the real world would be if we weren't assholes in a feudal death match for existence. THAT'S something worth spilling ink on.

In D&D.

My level 5 cleric will keep this party alive!

In actual WoD talk, Deviant looks great and the Horror Recognition Guide is amazing.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

In D&D.

Oh I don't give a poo poo about the point I was just there for the argument.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I’m contemplating putting together a proper PDF of the timeline with appropriate kit and public domain art, layout, and editors notes to put on the Vault alongside a basic version for free. The vault itself actually seems like the most straightforward method of disseminating the project files as a freebie or pay what you like thing, too. Central problem is that it only covers up to revised, but I suppose if there’s enough downloads I could justify V20, though V5 is probably going to stay off the table with the boycott and all.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You worked hard on this, guy. On behalf of yourself and everybody else who puts things on the Vault, you ought to charge a reasonable price for it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is worth money, you deserve it.

Wtf question:. Am I right in reading that woofs cannot eat spirits for essence unless their siskur-dah targets!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Rand Brittain posted:

You worked hard on this, guy. On behalf of yourself and everybody else who puts things on the Vault, you ought to charge a reasonable price for it.

All it is is a compilation of other people’s writings, summarised and cross referenced. The only original work and content is in things like the Noddist exegesis and bloodline charts and editors notes, so I feel a bit awkward even considering putting a more than token price on it, and I did make a commitment to the thread years ago to release it for free. Which I suppose the basic version without the extra effort of layout and such satisfies.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Loomer posted:

All it is is a compilation of other people’s writings, summarised and cross referenced. The only original work and content is in things like the Noddist exegesis and bloodline charts and editors notes, so I feel a bit awkward even considering putting a more than token price on it, and I did make a commitment to the thread years ago to release it for free. Which I suppose the basic version without the extra effort of layout and such satisfies.

That's true of a lot of history! Cross-referencing is work.

All in favor of Loomer making a bit of money off this, say aye!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

That's true of a lot of history! Cross-referencing is work.

All in favor of Loomer making a bit of money off this, say aye!

Aye. Also Loomer,Vault has a toooon of WoD art packs available for free if you wanted to use that for the fancy version.

I'll put :10bux: on nice pdf.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Yeah Loomer I hate to sound all capitalist about this but...if it wasn't work, someone else would've done it. You should get your :10bux:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Loomer don't do all that work for free! Even if you don't feel like charging, every high-effort free product makes it harder for others to get paid for their work, so charge for other writers even if not for yourself!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

As a regular pdf buyer, I am extremely happy to spend money on this project. It is an incredible labor, and not getting anything for it feels extremely unfair.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Loomer posted:

I’m contemplating putting together a proper PDF of the timeline with appropriate kit and public domain art, layout, and editors notes to put on the Vault alongside a basic version for free. The vault itself actually seems like the most straightforward method of disseminating the project files as a freebie or pay what you like thing, too. Central problem is that it only covers up to revised, but I suppose if there’s enough downloads I could justify V20, though V5 is probably going to stay off the table with the boycott and all.

If you're good at something, don't do it for free. Donate the money if you must.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Alright, which one of you is responsible for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKS4nm4Na-s

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Pope Guilty posted:

Even if you don't feel like charging, every high-effort free product makes it harder for others to get paid for their work, so charge for other writers even if not for yourself!

Well, poo poo. Not loving up other people is my weak spot. I guess I'll just have to throw in enough extra content in the appendixes and notes so I don't feel like a total ripoff artist.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Not sure what the core point there is either, but I do think its kind of amusing how oWoD functionally ends up with the same silliness as dnd 3.0/3.5 when you try to mash all the sprawling line together and then try to figure out how it makes sense as a coherent setting. I suspect if nuWW had kept going, it would have devolved there pretty quickly.

Now I want to play a tremere muscle wizard with some sort of potence/thaumaturgy custom power.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Desiden posted:

Now I want to play a tremere muscle wizard with some sort of potence/thaumaturgy custom power.
this is basically how we got gargoyles (the bloodline)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Shrecknet posted:

this is basically how we got gargoyles (the bloodline)

Yeah either play a Gargoyle or take the "Started as a Ghoul" merit, get as many dots in the phys disciplines as you can, then take the paths and rituals that would let you set your fists on fire and do hella Flaming Fire Fist Punches per round.
(IIRC- Flesh Of Fire deals 1 ag any time anyone touches your body defensively, and there's nothing saying you can't cast Burning Blade on a sharpened pair of brass knuckles. Go hog wild buddy, it's a great friggin combo. Do recommend.)

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

So my online V5 game is shaping up and we now have four players.

A Secret Caitiff Toredor, a regular rear end Toredor, a Malkavian and some sort of Tremere (either Carna or Is-something-or-other)

I can't wait to see what kind of trouble they get themselves into.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My fiancé ran her very first session last night!
It was just her and I doing the human to vampire embrace (wink) because she wanted some practice before the whole group was there.

She's a trained actor and has played a few years of WOD games so she seemed very natural as a GM. She knew I wanted to play a Nosferatu but we didn't fully lock that in. I'm a vet so I'm fine with a big curve ball.

The character I'm playing uses humor to deal with uncomfortable situations so when he started getting stalked by a living shadow with glinting eyes, we had a lot of fun. There were parts that genuinely creeped me out as well, including a painted over secret hatch in my apartment that lead a half a mile to a paved over mine.

Not only is this my first Nos but she also made the decision to make me a Lygos. I've never used that bloodline before and am very excited. Eventually I'm hoping to make a Nightmare devotion for shadow control.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Loomer posted:

Well, poo poo. Not loving up other people is my weak spot. I guess I'll just have to throw in enough extra content in the appendixes and notes so I don't feel like a total ripoff artist.
We can do nothing to ease the agony of a lying brain, but perhaps the sweet surcease of a secret goon free download code will silence the Derangements within for a time.

But more seriously yeah I think you have every right to charge for this poo poo. People sold concordances and indexes for Tolkien etc. and while I suppose that might have been cleared with his literary estate... it was legitimate work! They earned the money they got! So have you!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Loomer posted:

Just to push back a little bit here, I think that you're completely justified in either selling your work or releasing it for free. You've obviously put a ton of effort into this and I don't doubt that people would be interested enough to buy it, and you absolutely deserve to reap the rewards if you want to.

But on the other hand, acting like giving something away for free is a betrayal of the creative community is some seriously toxic capitalist bullshit. Your generosity is not to blame for others' failure to value artistic work; the responsibility is squarely on them.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 15, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
you could also release a free cursory guide (iirc you posted some interesting images in past threads) and charge for a more complete reference doc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've started playing Disco Elysium, and now I want to play a Malkavian who talks to his Abilities.

Might be a bit too close to Fishmalk territory though.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
An intriguing possibility has presented itself during a check on something. Disembodiment - the process by which mages risk being unable to return to earth after too long beyond the Gauntlet - can be affected by altering the moon's orbit, as it takes three lunar months.

This, of course, suggests two immediate solutions to the issue: Blow the fucker up or push it so far out that it takes years. Is it wise? No. Is it exactly the kind of thing an Etherite would get up to unsupervised, enabling a frantic scramble by the player cabal to stop them in a Bond-style Evil Lair Infiltration? Yes. And, of course, such an effort would be too much for any one mage - however talented - to achieve, so naturally there's follow-ups to hunt down and dismantle the Sinister Conspiracy To Erase The Moon, with a wide range of batshit insane secret cells hidden in the Traditions, the Technocracy, Pentex, and probably some fae or some poo poo.

If one was so inclined, one could even borrow appropriately from Stross here for maximum Bond - one of his novels features a supervillain who deliberately creates a wide-area geas that renders him vulnerable only to a Bond figure as controlled opposition to his plans. It's not quite how Mage works but if the Mad Etherite has a suitable Horizon realm - perhaps in the form of a Secret Moon Base for ultimate irony, hidden in the polar craters where he's building enormous engines to literally blast the thing out of its proper orbit? - the local Paradigm can do the job.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 17, 2019

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
Loomer you’re the next Grant Morrison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerik
Jun 24, 2019

I don't know what to write here.
Hey, question here for people who know more about the nWoD than I do (which is probably most people here; I have a fair amount of experience with oWoD games, but almost none with the nWoD, but some recent reviews in FATAL & Friends have really piqued my interest):

Does anyone know if and where there's any canonical information on Los Angeles in the nWoD? I know about the oWoD material on Los Angeles, but I don't know what if anything has been established about it in the nWoD.

I ask because my current erratic work schedule prohibits me from currently participating in a regular face-to-face campaign, so I'm thinking of starting a PBP game of Demon: the Descent. (It wouldn't be any time soon, because I want to read through all the relevant books and really familiarize myself with the rules and the lore before starting the game.) I'm leaning toward setting it in Los Angeles just because that's where I live, so I figured I may as well make it easy on myself and use a city I'm very familiar with. But I just wanted to know if there's any canonical information on Los Angeles in the nWoD already. I know nothing requires me to stick with existing canon, but, I don't know, I always like to try to be consistent with canon if possible, even though I realize there's no real reason I have to do that.