Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Azure DevOps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Distributed CVS.

Well it's no worse than the top of page suggestion :11tea:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/random_walker/status/1182635589604171776

Replace Blackboard with Jira and you'll understand something.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well my boss ended up paying for the Bitbucket before letting me finish my research so I guess Bitbucket and Jira it is.

So I think my next question should be what beer should I drink next, right?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Whiskey

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Not opposed to this too, but I'm weak and can't do it straight.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Protocol7 posted:

If you org was switching to a true SaaS DevOps solution, would you prefer GitLab or Bitbucket? I think I'm leaning towards GitLab at the moment.

i have (almost) no complaints about gitlab.

if only they hadn't just put "fail CI if test coverage decreased" in the backlog as "would be cool if one day we have literally nothing else to do".

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Gitlab should bring back the old creepy logo imo

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Progressive JPEG posted:

Gitlab should bring back the old creepy logo imo

It's a combo furry / serial killer! Synergy!

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Github is really good. They've been adding really nice features steadily in the last couple years. Force push diffs in PRs and a nice code review interface, co authorship in commits, nice API, automatic dependency security audits...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

tak posted:

Github is really good. They've been adding really nice features steadily in the last couple years. Force push diffs in PRs and a nice code review interface, co authorship in commits, nice API, automatic dependency security audits...

Yeah I use Github now and I like it a lot. At my previous work we couldn't use it because their security policy didn't allow for remotely hosted storage of source code. There we made the switch from svn to locally-hosted Gitlab.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I definitely do not like interviewing and hiring but I sure prefer it to what happened this year: we just got a bunch of new grads randomly distributed across scrum teams. They are all over the place in terms of skill and being able to work without being micromanaged.

Apparently hiring entry level people is the solution to last years problem that everyone qualified was turning down our job offers because they weren’t competitive. (Mainly because they are hiring for our NYC office but our main tech branch is in a much lower cost city.)

Good times!

smackfu fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 12, 2019

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Protocol7 posted:

Well my boss ended up paying for the Bitbucket before letting me finish my research so I guess Bitbucket and Jira it is.

So I think my next question should be what beer should I drink next, right?
Whichever one gets you to act like an adult and talk to your boss about giving you busy-work and completely ignoring the result

You're drat right

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Absinthe is more appropriate because it's 90%+ about the ceremony rather than the result, it's relatively expensive, and loved by upper middle class white people and people trying to act cool but really aren't.

(I like absinthe though because I'm a weird person and that's how I've rolled forever, not because it was cool or something)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Vulture Culture posted:

Whichever one gets you to act like an adult and talk to your boss about giving you busy-work and completely ignoring the result

I dunno, I think getting paid to basically do gently caress all but browse the web for a few hours is a good deal to me.

Even if it is just reading about some specific websites.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nah, it gets to be soul crushing after a while

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rt4 posted:

It can cripple your prospects for your next real job if you literally do nothing too.

That's why you do side projects or continue to learn on their dime!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I mean most of my days are normal work days, it was just a Friday afternoon errand. I have lived the soul crush work days of nothingness, I don’t miss it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Best days at work are when you have a lot of tasks to do and the requirements for all of them are very clear. 5pm comes outta nowhere.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah but those days are so rare

Sometimes I have to make them for myself by putting poo poo off so I can have one full day a month that actually feels productive

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

prom candy posted:

Best days at work are when you have a lot of tasks to do and the requirements for all of them are very clear. 5pm comes outta nowhere.
Recently migrated a service from Java 11 to Kotlin, many days were like these. What helped is that I helped build it and the experimental Kotlin conversion in Intellij works pretty well.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

rt4 posted:

Yes, when it gets to multiple years I started moonlighting.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 29, 2020

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Distributed CVS.

Well it's no worse than the top of page suggestion :11tea:

:wrong:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Keetron posted:

Recently migrated a service from Java 11 to Kotlin, many days were like these. What helped is that I helped build it and the experimental Kotlin conversion in Intellij works pretty well.
The beginning of the end. I'm a programmer, not a "secretary of automated refactoring tools". Convenient that intellij knows your code but now you don't!

I'm looking forward to your stories of woe.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Converting Java to Kotlin is pretty mechanical anyway. The meaning is the same; it's only the syntax that changes. Once it has been converted, then you can start changing the part that's hard to understand.

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

1999. What appeared to be a harmless meteorite crashing in the Nevada desert has turned out to be Darc Seed, an evil alien creature with horrible powers. By shooting strange magnetic rays, Darc Seed had turned the helpless nation into zombies and had brought the Statue of Liberty to life to do his dirty work. These rays had also given him control over many deadly weapons, but none were more powerful than the legendary samurai sword, Shura. When the great head of the samurai, Namakubi, heard that the sword had fallen into evil hands, he set off immediately for the United States. For only he possessed the strength and knowledge needed to recapture the magical sword and free the U.S. from the evil clutches of Darc Seed.

Bongo Bill posted:

Converting Java to Kotlin is pretty mechanical anyway. The meaning is the same; it's only the syntax that changes. Once it has been converted, then you can start changing the part that's hard to understand.

Sometimes you will find the Java code has been written in a way that the Kotlin compiler views as unsafe, and you will have to refactor. 8 / 10 times the translator handles most of the work but sometimes you have to think.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Of course Kotlin works well in IntelliJ, Kotlin was invented by the IntelliJ devs.

Having said that, the Scala plugin for IntelliJ is without doubt fantastic and I couldn't live without it anymore.

Kotlin isn't quite FP enough for me so I'm glad I get to do Scala.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I'm looking forward to your stories of woe.
Sorry to hear that, this is my last week here. In fact, this java to kotlin conversion is a thinly veiled CV building exercise that paid off big time.
My colleagues were aware but figured they can now put kotlin on their CV as well without even having to spend to much effort.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

Keetron posted:

Sorry to hear that, this is my last week here. In fact, this java to kotlin conversion is a thinly veiled CV building exercise that paid off big time.
My colleagues were aware but figured they can now put kotlin on their CV as well without even having to spend to much effort.

I've been disappointed to see that there's still a dearth of non-Android Kotlin jobs (at least in the states). I would kill to do backend Kotlin dev again.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

ErikTheRed posted:

I've been disappointed to see that there's still a dearth of non-Android Kotlin jobs (at least in the states). I would kill to do backend Kotlin dev again.

Feel free to relocate, the Netherlands cannot drag their developers from all over the globe and there is a ton of Kotlin and not enough developers.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Can confirm, doing a bunch of Kotlin whilst enjoying Dutch life.

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

I have this call to discuss this integration with a 3rd party company in Europe tomorrow and I have no idea why my API endpoint isn't working

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Today I got a review on my code saying that I shouldn’t be creating multiple classes for a particular solution that has several problem domains (and is split up accordingly) and should instead keep all the logic (CSV generation, queries, encryption, uploading, etc.) in one class and file because it’s easier to understand. I specifically split it up like that so that each piece would be easy to understand on its own, and you didn’t have to keep the whole thing in mind when working on it, because it’s a highly business critical thing that touched several parts of what we do and has a particularly heinous handwritten SQL query that I wanted to sequester. :psyduck:

I don’t know how I feel about this, exactly, but I know I don’t feel great about it. :shrug: gently caress it, man, whatever works.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Or, in the running theme of your posts, perhaps talk to the other person and have a friendly conversation about it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We literally did.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pollyanna posted:

Today I got a review on my code saying that I shouldnt be creating multiple classes for a particular solution that has several problem domains (and is split up accordingly) and should instead keep all the logic (CSV generation, queries, encryption, uploading, etc.) in one class and file because its easier to understand. I specifically split it up like that so that each piece would be easy to understand on its own, and you didnt have to keep the whole thing in mind when working on it, because its a highly business critical thing that touched several parts of what we do and has a particularly heinous handwritten SQL query that I wanted to sequester. :psyduck:

I dont know how I feel about this, exactly, but I know I dont feel great about it. :shrug: gently caress it, man, whatever works.

It's a tough decision and this is where the science turns into an art. You don't want one particular class to be too complex, but if you split things up enough it becomes difficult to figure out what's actually going on. Ultimately, the best way to handle this is:

1) If it's your boss and they insist, just do what they ask and grumble here.
2) If there's a particular style in your codebase about this and you aren't ready to push for change, just follow the style in the codebase
3) Use your best judgement.

Make sure you have decent integration tests for all of these parts because the more you split up you make things the easier it is to flub this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The integration tests were basically written first when I put it together so that should be acceptable, I think. That’s why I split it up that way, so I could test stuff without giving a gently caress about S3 and CSVs n poo poo.

The core reason (EDIT: to consolidate into one class) is to reduce mental overhead and make refactoring/migration easier when (if) we ever split the codebase up. It’s also a review from the team lead I’m helping out this sprint. So, #1 and #2.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 16, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's #2 all right, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like the separation of concerns is useful and the lead is clueless, time to quit