Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

kitten smoothie posted:

I forget, how much was a Senate seat

I wasn't sure how much he wanted so I looked up the wikipedia article on it and:

quote:

Blagojevich allegedly sought the following in exchange for an appointment:[26]

* A substantial salary for himself at either a non-profit foundation or an organization affiliated with labor unions.
* Placing his wife on paid corporate boards where he speculated she might garner as much as $150,000 a year.
* Promises of campaign funds—including cash up front.
* A Cabinet post or ambassadorship for himself to Serbia.

https://i.imgur.com/ZgfpAN6.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Data Graham posted:

A guy I know ... I've been having a really hard time talking to him as a friend ever since over a year ago I found out that, years ago, he was a cop briefly.

One of my very good friends used to be a cop. He quit when he realized he couldn't change the system from the inside. Dude's a goddamned paladin.

He would never have voted for Trump regardless of pressure though so I don't know what to tell you there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gamerofthegame posted:

jesus christ dude

being a police officer or some other law enforcement position is explicitly seen in culture as a position to help your community, people aspire to be cops when they grow up to do so less as a free pass to go shoot every minority around

that just tends to come up when lovely people are cops and there are a lot of lovely people, don't go "what the gently caress you had the GALL to be a cop at some point of your life???"

now if he was a lovely cop sure but dude all the vast majority of cops do in this country is hand of a speeding ticket every now and then for some punk rear end flooring it through a schoolzone

unilaterally hate all doctors or anyone even associated with the medical profession for the insurance scam that is healthcare costs too, sure

This is the attitude I normally try to have, yeah. Cops by and large are just doing a job, I get that, a hard one and a dangerous one and one that lots of people respect them for and encourage them into. In normal conversation that's the position I take, with the caveat that instead of being held to way lower standards of conduct than everyone else and being protected against real consequences, their standards need to be way higher and the consequences of malfeasance need to be way, way harsher. Abuse your power as a cop? You don't get a pat on the wrist, you get stuck on a pole at the city limits. ...Metaphorically speaking

But day after day these stories keep coming, and I feel like even being that accommodating is too generous. I know it's not fair to lay all the poo poo at the feet of someone who legit tried his best and probably just left because he couldn't hack it, but god drat it's just hard not to.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Data Graham posted:

This is the attitude I normally try to have, yeah. Cops by and large are just doing a job, I get that, a hard one and a dangerous one and one that lots of people respect them for and encourage them into. In normal conversation that's the position I take, with the caveat that instead of being held to way lower standards of conduct than everyone else and being protected against real consequences, their standards need to be way higher and the consequences of malfeasance need to be way, way harsher. Abuse your power as a cop? You don't get a pat on the wrist, you get stuck on a pole at the city limits. ...Metaphorically speaking

But day after day these stories keep coming, and I feel like even being that accommodating is too generous. I know it's not fair to lay all the poo poo at the feet of someone who legit tried his best and probably just left because he couldn't hack it, but god drat it's just hard not to.

For what its worth, the cops that we've called to do wellness checks have shown a lot of restraint. Sometimes we've ended up having to call the cops again, same day, because the person has grown increasingly unstable since their last chat with them.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Data Graham posted:

A guy I know ... I've been having a really hard time talking to him as a friend ever since over a year ago I found out that, years ago, he was a cop briefly.

He has no idea why I suddenly became so standoffish and chilly toward him. He's emotionally fragile and I feel terrible about it, but... I don't know what I can do about it. As far as I'm concerned at this point, cops in this country are no better than terrorists.

Like maybe he was "one of the good ones" and I should commend him for getting out? Like I should commend him for regretting the Trump vote he cast after being bullied into it by his overbearing Mormon parents? I don't even know. He's the kind of guy it's unfair to heap any kind of judgment on, he completely means well and any damage he does is because he's someone else's collateral damage, but ... after this many news stories I don't have it in me to be that grown-up about this

Two things.

First, he stopped being a cop. ACAB as I've heard it explained is that all cops are bastards and when I hear that, I think of the profession itself. It's not good for people, healthy for people or society in general. On a long enough timeline, the good cops quit. It's not that all people who are cops are magically evil. It's that the people who stay when it's such a magnet for lovely people have to turn their heads when abuse happens or join in. If they "snitch" and go to internal affairs or are even suspected of such, they'll be targeted. It really is a gang in that respect.

As for casting a Trump vote? If you truly believe that he was bullied into it by his parents and he's as fragile as you say, give him a pass. A lot of parents are lovely and raise emotionally damaged kids. Do your best to lift him up, not put him down. You'll probably be able to identify him as a chud though because most people out themselves pretty quick.

Just tell him to say he voted for Trump next time and do the opposite. Or leave it blank. Polling used to be skewed from household to household because the wives would vote differently but say that they were voting for their husband's candidate in order to preserve social stability. So just tell him to do that next time. Tell him that if his parents are poo poo tier people and they're pressuring him to vote in a certain way, he should just lie and do whatever the gently caress he wants if he can't take confronting them.

If he's some maga chud loving sever, but if he's just some depressed, alienated dude then being a friend can bring him out of that unhealthy mental space. If you want to talk politics with him, talk about the root causes of alienation caused by capitalism and neoliberalism and that may very well catch his attention.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 13, 2019

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Kinda hard to hold someone accountable for the systemic issues regarding Police in America when their response to them was to get out of that system.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Kinda hard to hold someone accountable for the systemic issues regarding Police in America when their response to them was to get out of that system.

Yeah that sounds like someone who bought into the incredibly pervasive societal idea of what cops should be and quit when they saw what it was like.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The Lousiana elections were bad but I believe mostly in line with polls and expectations. Edwards got 47% but he needed a majority to avoid a runoff. Republicans gained supermajorities in both chambers of their legislature so even if Edwards wins, they'll be able to override his line veto.

Continuing the trend of increasing polarization/inelasticity in rural and urban areas.

https://twitter.com/CascadianSolo/status/1183204899456045056

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ice Phisherman posted:

If he's some maga chud loving sever, but if he's just some depressed, alienated dude then being a friend can bring him out of that unhealthy mental space. If you want to talk politics with him, talk about the root causes of alienation caused by capitalism and neoliberalism and that may very well catch his attention.

It's this, and I try, and he's thirsty to hear some voice other than his parents funneling Fox News and Q theories to him, but lord I am not equipped to tutor someone from scratch on all this stuff. I'm barely proficient myself. Guess I'll have to try it sooner or later though.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183232552464719873

It's still cool to rent out the military to Saudi Arabia which is in the...... middle east

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Data Graham posted:

It's this, and I try, and he's thirsty to hear some voice other than his parents funneling Fox News and Q theories to him, but lord I am not equipped to tutor someone from scratch on all this stuff. I'm barely proficient myself. Guess I'll have to try it sooner or later though.

I'd suggest starting him on Breadtube style youtube sites. Breadtube being the term for leftist youtubers. A lot of the work would be done for you and he would be exposed to some pretty wild poo poo if he came straight from super right winger stuff.

For republicans, many of their ideals roughly map onto anarchism except for problems like not being able to leave the authoritarian system. If they can get over the fact that leaving some authoritarian systems is possible, all would be nice and that violence is actually terrible, not cool, like how their family is lovely and can't stop talking about dumb boomer poo poo because their brains are broken, I'd suggest Thought Slime who is an anarchist youtuber. Sit down, watch some stuff and hell, maybe take a look yourself. He's a good and cool leftist youtuber.

Here's something on the cops. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk5xnEL8mYg

He makes the distinction between the profession of being a cop, which is bad but not individually that all cops are bad. Some leave and your friend left too. He probably has a reason.

Or maybe go look at his more popular stuff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCrr7y8rEXb7_RiVniwvzk9w

If he's legitimately thirsty for alternative ways of explaining his life because he feels alienated and filled with anxiety, you can turn him on to answers told by internet personalities who are reading from people who have probably been dead for a long time. A ton of the work has been done for you already. Just find some leftist breadtube youtubers and hit play on what calls to you.

Afterwards, talk to him, reflect or maybe don't talk about politics if he doesn't want to. Go get a beer and chill with your buddy. Healthy communities are far more resistant to fascism and offering him friendship helps build that.

There's also a general breadtube thread somewhere on the forums but my connection is awful. Anyone mind providing that so I don't have to click for ten minutes?

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 13, 2019

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
As annoying and degrading and difficult as it may be, you gotta always talk to Republicans and try to change their minds. It works just like commercials work: statistically over long periods of consistent pestering.

I hate being like “we are right and Republicans are wrong” but all of their empirically provably wrong ideals supported by made up stories and sheer projection are just so clearly wrong and bad, and we don’t do that because we’d get called out by our own.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183248760303960064

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183232552464719873

It's still cool to rent out the military to Saudi Arabia which is in the...... middle east

Blood of the Kurds on this piece of poo poo's hands. Burn in hell.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

gently caress this massive piece of poo poo.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

As annoying and degrading and difficult as it may be, you gotta always talk to Republicans and try to change their minds. It works just like commercials work: statistically over long periods of consistent pestering.

I hate being like “we are right and Republicans are wrong” but all of their empirically provably wrong ideals supported by made up stories and sheer projection are just so clearly wrong and bad, and we don’t do that because we’d get called out by our own.

gently caress that dude you could use that energy on educating and activating people who already do or easily will agree with you. Cut them out of your life to the extent that you can and avoid interacting at all costs.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

PhazonLink posted:

lol remember when a cop also was called in by one of those life alert services and also shot the old person.

(99.99999% the person was also nonwhite)

He was.

Disarm the loving cops. I know it's not even close to solving every problem with US police departments, but it is far and away the best option for immediate harm reduction. Disarmament will have the added benefit of driving out a large number of the absolute loving cowards terrified of their statistically high safe profession.

I know lots of people are going to say "oh, but we can't do that, that's impossible" and they're probably right, but it's the only actual solution. This problem won't go away until your average cop is not carrying a gun around. Absolutely nothing else will fix this.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

How are u posted:

Blood of the Kurds on this piece of poo poo's hands. Burn in hell.

And don’t forget the genocidal war Yemen he’s so insistent on helping!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Stereotype posted:

I dunno about this. I've got a couple of conservative friends I've been hassling for over a decade and while they occasionally shift positions, they'll never vote liberal. At least they voted libertarian in the Trump election cycle.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Failboattootoot posted:

I dunno about this. I've got a couple of conservative friends I've been hassling for over a decade and while they occasionally shift positions, they'll never vote liberal. At least they voted libertarian in the Trump election cycle.

Same. Over the last 10 years I know a few moderate liberals who have gotten more progressive but my Republican shitstain coworkers, acquaintances, family, etc. are all still GOP or die. I know exactly one former Republican who now just doesn't vote, but no one I know has gone from Romney voter to Democrat.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Failboattootoot posted:

I used to do a lot of door to door stuff. I've stopped really involving myself with the local Democratic party at all, but I still do a ton of volunteer work for a couple of local environmental organizations as well as some pro bono/low-cost professional work for those same groups.

I'm not saying this is universally true, but my experience is that your likelihood of bringing someone over to your side has more to do with how entrenched they are and how many times you've already tried. Just hitting someone with the same arguments over and over does nothing, and might even make things worse since you're just getting them to constantly reconsider and reinforce their own beliefs to refute you.

For what it's worth, I don't think this is purely a conservative phenomenon. I've run into the same thing with people who are 90% of the way there, but that last 10% is just too goddamn hard for them. This has come up a lot for me in some of the fundraising/"lobbying" work that I've helped with over the last couple of years. A lot of times you'll run into someone who just isn't going to loving budge and the only thing you can do is ignore them or actively start working with their opponents.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Paradoxish posted:

I used to do a lot of door to door stuff. I've stopped really involving myself with the local Democratic party at all, but I still do a ton of volunteer work for a couple of local environmental organizations as well as some pro bono/low-cost professional work for those same groups.

I'm not saying this is universally true, but my experience is that your likelihood of bringing someone over to your side has more to do with how entrenched they are and how many times you've already tried. Just hitting someone with the same arguments over and over does nothing, and might even make things worse since you're just getting them to constantly reconsider and reinforce their own beliefs to refute you.

For what it's worth, I don't think this is purely a conservative phenomenon. I've run into the same thing with people who are 90% of the way there, but that last 10% is just too goddamn hard for them. This has come up a lot for me in some of the fundraising/"lobbying" work that I've helped with over the last couple of years. A lot of times you'll run into someone who just isn't going to loving budge and the only thing you can do is ignore them or actively start working with their opponents.

Yeah, agree. The cultural deprogramming you have to do is pretty difficult which is commensurate with just how much conservative media that they consume. Converting your conservative friends is more a matter of right time right place. Or if they're young conservatives and suddenly hit the world and find out it's geared to gently caress them over, they're more likely to change their minds in their say, teens or twenties.

I suggested he talk to him and share stuff with him because he's his friend and that's all. If this were just some random conservative dude I'd tell him not to waste his time and talk to apolitical individuals, but I'm taking the existing relationship into account. Also, Nazis prey on alienated young men and turn them into violent, alienated, nihilistic shitbags, so there is a purpose in talking to conservatives even if it is to keep them from becoming a Nazi.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

PhazonLink posted:

lol remember when a cop also was called in by one of those life alert services and also shot the old person.

(99.99999% the person was also nonwhite)

Was also heard on tape saying something like "come out, friend of the family" when the guy was wisely refusing to let them enter his home. His son posted a bunch of stuff from the subsequent trial on Facebook. Cop found not guilty, obviously.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Ice Phisherman posted:

I suggested he talk to him and share stuff with him because he's his friend and that's all. If this were just some random conservative dude I'd tell him not to waste his time and talk to apolitical individuals, but I'm taking the existing relationship into account. Also, Nazis prey on alienated young men and turn them into violent, alienated, nihilistic shitbags, so there is a purpose in talking to conservatives even if it is to keep them from becoming a Nazi.

I completely agree with this. A lot of the alt-right recruiting propaganda I've experienced mostly focused on hammering away at how alienated, isolated, frightened, etc. the reader felt. At the very least, it's possible to keep somebody swayed by virtue of being in a vulnerable situation from becoming or remaining an alt-right supporter/nazi. I'm not saying that I know of a silver bullet solution, or even that I think one exists. But I know it is possible for them to back away from that edge.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

saintonan posted:

This. The thought of a black man calling an overwhelmingly white police force to make a wellness check on a black woman just boggles the mind.

Why?

I (cis-het white dude in the military, so obv. my opinion is worthless) lived in a 90% black/Puerto Rican community for 4 years in Connecticut, near the end I was chilling, when I heard loud noises, two homeless dudes had broken into my car, I called the cops, and proceeded downstairs to confront these men. As soon as I got outside and started yelling, they left down the street, it was a nice fall evening so most of the families on the street were out on the front porch grilling, they saw the dudes and their wanton acts of vandalism and followed us down the street after these two dudes, they also dialed 911 without compunction. 15 minutes later the police arrived, they arrested the white dude (who was screaming death threats at me non-stop) and put the black homeless dude in an ambulance for treatment at a psychiatric facility, since he seemed to be unbalanced, and upset about his brother being killed by gang warfare. These dudes were pretty obviously looking to get thrown in jail, since the local homeless shelter refused them 'cause they were hosed up on some poo poo.
The predominantly White police force treated both dudes well, and took statements from myself, and all the black families who lived across the street with equal gravity and respect.

No guns or tasers were drawn on anybody during this event.

Why would those families fear cops? They recieve the same treatment as white folk.

It's the loving weird outliers who just decide to start shooting at empty windows who should've been bounced outta the force long ago that are the problem.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

The libertarian I keep friended as a window into that side posted the other day that it's insane that other countries see us as silly for allowing our citizens to own semi autos. He also believes in home schooling to counter that gosh darn librul indoctrination. This is someone who will never be reached.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't watch these Trump rally clips for longer than 5 seconds. It's like the AUG thread when someone posts a nerdlinger youtube clip or something. I can't stand to listen to or look at Trump at all.

He's in that realm of "people I can't stand to even hear speak" that's occupied by people like Sean Hannity, Nancy Grace, Ben Shapiro and Pat Robertson. Even reading transcripts from Trump rallies hurts my brain and lately I've just been scrolling his twitter posts in this thread.

I've been teetering on the edge of this for a good while but "my unmatched wisdom" was the tipping point. And to think, the State of the Union speech is approaching. My god.

A big part of it is that his voice (and the things he says) is the verbal equivalent of a sneer. It's loving obnoxious, his sing songy mocking sneering voice, no one wants to hear that aside from unregenerate assholes.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Elviscat posted:

It's the loving weird outliers who just decide to start shooting at empty windows who should've been bounced outta the force long ago that are the problem.

But they weren't bounced outta the force, and next time you call they might be the ones that show up.

That's one hosed up game of Russian roulette to play.

MAMIL
Sep 2, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elviscat posted:

Why?

I (cis-het white dude in the military, so obv. my opinion is worthless) lived in a 90% black/Puerto Rican community for 4 years in Connecticut, near the end I was chilling, when I heard loud noises, two homeless dudes had broken into my car, I called the cops, and proceeded downstairs to confront these men. As soon as I got outside and started yelling, they left down the street, it was a nice fall evening so most of the families on the street were out on the front porch grilling, they saw the dudes and their wanton acts of vandalism and followed us down the street after these two dudes, they also dialed 911 without compunction. 15 minutes later the police arrived, they arrested the white dude (who was screaming death threats at me non-stop) and put the black homeless dude in an ambulance for treatment at a psychiatric facility, since he seemed to be unbalanced, and upset about his brother being killed by gang warfare. These dudes were pretty obviously looking to get thrown in jail, since the local homeless shelter refused them 'cause they were hosed up on some poo poo.
The predominantly White police force treated both dudes well, and took statements from myself, and all the black families who lived across the street with equal gravity and respect.

Why would those families fear cops? They recieve the same treatment as white folk.

Good thing that when you call the cops they are nice enough to tell you if they plan to send a racist murderer out on the call so you can calmly request a different officer. Nice to not have to fear for your life because you don’t know if the luck of the draw means you or your loved one is going to die.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Elviscat posted:

Why?

Do we have a, “WELL ACTUALLY” emoticon?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

well actually, all cops are insanely bad.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BiggerBoat posted:

The Trump Presidential Library is going to be a bunch of cell phones encased in glass displaying random tweets, one or two hand autographed bibles, several U.S. flags, maybe a gun, a yellow ribbon somewhere tied to something and probably a hologram of Donald with 30 pounds removed delivering a speech to 250,000 people on the DC mall.

TV's will be running FOX news on the walls and books by Hannity and O'Reilly will be for sale in an adjacent gift shop along with MAGA hats, mugs and some of those weird presidential coins. It'll basically look like a Florida reptile farm only with fewer books.

Don't forget Trumpy Bears

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Not being afraid of cops is a privilege for well off white people. Everyone should be afraid of cops because they are a state sanctioned gang and they perpetrate violence for the benefit of the powerful. They gun down people in the street and they break into peoples homes and murder them there, and they are almost always completely protected in doing so. It's not a matter of a few bad apples, it's a rotten loving system and the solutions are all systemic solutions which face up to the fact that policing as an institution is insanely broken.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Do we have a, “WELL ACTUALLY” emoticon?

whats your advice in that situation, manhandle guys out of the neighborhood yourself?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elviscat posted:

Why?

gently caress those cops too they can eat my rear end, "these cops didn't do a racism in front of me that particular day when there were, from my own storytelling, a gently caress ton of people watching, so clearly it's just bad apples. " Those cops probably did ten racisms the moment they were around the corner. They probably had a sack of racism in the glove box to huff the second they got in the car

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Someone posted this verse from Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds in this thread. It was stuck in my head and causing me to laugh in meetings for the last few days, so I decided to complete it.

Picture yourself in an oval-shaped office
With tangerine skin and marshmallow thighs
You pick up the phone, someone answers quite swiftly
And brings you some burgers and fries

Golden rain showers from platinum-blonde teens
Outpouring over your bed
Think of the girl with Ivan in her name
And you come

Donnie in Moscow with crimes
Ah

Follow him down to a golf course in Florida
Where GOP nazis fellate Russian spies
Everyone smiles at your grift superpowers
That ensure a Kurdish demise

New York Times op-eds appear and are sure
You became POTUS today
Read from the notes without making GBS threads your pants
And they fawn

Ah

Picture yourself in a Fox TV station
Where wonder bread boomers tweet Markov chain lies
Suddenly someone is there dropping freestyles
The mayor with another surprise

Rudy in Moscow with crimes

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

empty whippet box posted:

gently caress those cops too they can eat my rear end, "these cops didn't do a racism in front of me that particular day when there were, from my own storytelling, a gently caress ton of people watching, so clearly it's just bad apples. " Those cops probably did ten racisms the moment they were around the corner. They probably had a sack of racism in the glove box to huff the second they got in the car

cops are necessary to the functioning of society. Any society, every society, develops enforcers. There's a lot of problems with american cops but 'gently caress all cops' is meaningless.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Paradoxish posted:

He was.

Disarm the loving cops. I know it's not even close to solving every problem with US police departments, but it is far and away the best option for immediate harm reduction. Disarmament will have the added benefit of driving out a large number of the absolute loving cowards terrified of their statistically high safe profession.

I know lots of people are going to say "oh, but we can't do that, that's impossible" and they're probably right, but it's the only actual solution. This problem won't go away until your average cop is not carrying a gun around. Absolutely nothing else will fix this.

All it's going to do is reduce gun death by cop while other means rise. Bad cops aren't there because they're cowards, they're there because they crave power and being able to pull over some black guy and beat the piss out of him with a group of his cronies around him. It'll likely make them more aggressive as their main tool of power missing means they need to assert themselves more. That's why you don't see cops use pepper spray or a tazer or a beating but some combination of two or three of those things. You want to fix the problem? Get the system to stop protecting them when they do bad.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
to echo what everyone else is saying: when it comes to strangers my only hope is they have a strong bond who has a chance to pull them out. or that they'll form a weird parasocial relationship with a leftist personality who knows what their doing and "talks them down" out of their position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
tbh you could solve a huge amount of problems with cops by just giving them basic training in a ton of non-shooting people skills. People who have not-bad experiences with police are almost universally from places where cops get some actual training in recognizing mental health crisis, de-escalation, sensitivity, etc.