Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
iirc I feel like I read something about early opposition among Soviet leadership to certain scientific fields because they viewed them as unimportant or as somehow tainted by western propaganda, but that memory is very hazy so I may not be relating that idea correctly.

I feel like this conversation can’t really occur without acknowledging that we beat the Soviets to the moon because the CIA assassinated Soviet scientists lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the CIA didn't put korolev in the gulags or make chelomey a gigantic rear end in a top hat

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the CIA didn't put korolev in the gulags or make chernko a gigantic rear end in a top hat

ok, fair

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

as far as the state department ploy, not every protester or every protest with U.S. meddling is entirely product of the U.S. intelligence apparatus but it's not hard to find the records, with protest leaders having built up a resume via work for U.S. funded think tanks and CIA cutouts and have a direct line in with the media most americans consume on a daily basis and which shapes their view of the situation. the fortunate thing is that this will likely not escalate to the level of a ukraine or georgia color revolution, but will just remain focused on stirring up instability in the context of the trade war, with support declining over time as the protests fade out. then there will be editorials in D.C. magazines like The National Interest and in the NYT editorial section wondering why the U.S. "abandoned" hong kong while not correcting all the articles being published now denying U.S. involvement at all

I've proven incapable of understanding what the hell is going on in China because I honestly have my interests in mind here at home, in the United States, and there's simply too many things to worry about (transgender rights, right-to-work tied to Medicaid, at-will employment) that affect my friends that I honestly can't put the good effort into it.

that being said, looking out for the traps and pratfalls the powers that be will put in the way of folks who are into Bernie and his message into cowing, dropping out, or exiting entirely do need to be looked for and excised. the last thing I want is for everything to go back the way of academia

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
every sacrifice was worth it because they created the ekranoplan, the coolest airplane to ever exist.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Finicums Wake posted:

it sucks that one of the posters who could've suggested stuff to read was run out of the forums by some guys who think making a funny post about a fart that smells like poop, playing video games, and watching anime makes them better at discerning genocides than the UN lol. i thought most of homex's takes were bad, in the sense that they were too tankie, but i liked that he could post them + would try to back them up. it'd be cool if he comes back and posts again just w/o the admin/mod stuff. if not, someone invite me to the rhizzone so they can tell me about soviet technological developemnt thanks

it wasnt the fyad guys (correctly, it has to be said) saying he shouldn't be lovely when hes an admin and cant get probed for it. homex has been real sick of dealing with the liberal crocodile tears brigade for a while so I think it was just a straw breaking the camel's back kind of deal

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

it wasnt the fyad guys (correctly, it has to be said) saying he shouldn't be lovely when hes an admin and cant get probed for it. homex has been real sick of dealing with the liberal crocodile tears brigade for a while so I think it was just a straw breaking the camel's back kind of deal

fair enough. i have literally no opinions on his being an admin, just thought he was a good poster to have around

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
critical support for r. guyovich

shoulda perma'd pick and/or hamprince on yr way out tho

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Karl Barks posted:

The space race was the public marketing side of the ICBM race, and Russia made way more nuclear weapons than the US did. Consumer goods didn't receive the same level, except maybe in the Kruschev era. PCs are basically consumer goods

just grabbed this off wikipedia, but it matches my memory that the USSR was far behind the US in nuclear weapons production and ICBMs until at least the Johnson Administration. At the time of the moon landing in 1969, it seems like the USA still outgunned the USSR by number of warheads, launchers, and total megatonnage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_arms_race

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

3 posted:

critical support for r. guyovich

shoulda perma'd pick and/or hamprince on yr way out tho

i think hamprince got out of a perma before, some turds just won't flush

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Bryter posted:

i think hamprince got out of a perma before, some turds just won't flush

iirc people on cspam raised money so he could get a long rear end probe

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

it was every dollar was a day of probation, so I did what needed to happen and gave $50 to some liberal charity

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Posters kowtowing to liberal institutions to probe hamprince: mission accomplished

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hes so loving bad and the majority of the sub forum at least in threads I read are like Increasingly Disillusioned Liberals and people like Plutonis and he comes here to post about how Thing Are Alright Actually. We have a whole forum for the libs and they just wont stfu.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Homeless Friend posted:

Posters kowtowing to liberal institutions to probe hamprince: mission accomplished

Iirc it was a charity of hamprince's choice too

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
where do people go for leftist perspectives on geopolitics/random countries and whats going on there. like if i wanted to know whats up in for eg, armenia, whats my options. jacobin?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

cspam

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

if you see something, post something - cspam creedo

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1183206640369242112?s=20

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mila kunis posted:

where do people go for leftist perspectives on geopolitics/random countries and whats going on there. like if i wanted to know whats up in for eg, armenia, whats my options. jacobin?

Revleft

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

mila kunis posted:

i just googled jacobin armenia and got this

quote:

In a speech he delivered to the parliament shortly before he was elected prime minister Pashinyan stated that he was “beyond ideology.” In reality, the pledges of his government have shown the new regime to be firmly within the tradition of European liberalism: promising free, fair, and transparent elections, alongside the dismantling of corrupt state structures and economic monopolies and their replacement with meritocratic institutions and market mechanisms.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

find the subreddit for whatever nation you are curious about, and take the opposite view of whatever the prevailing sentiment is

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Larry Parrish posted:

Hes so loving bad and the majority of the sub forum at least in threads I read are like Increasingly Disillusioned Liberals and people like Plutonis and he comes here to post about how Thing Are Alright Actually. We have a whole forum for the libs and they just wont stfu.
can't stand the idea of people disagreeing with them so they raid other forums but huddle in their own safe space where they have pet mods to probe dissent.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

jarofpiss posted:

if godzilla was a communist that would own

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The People's Kaiju

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wish godzilla would melt the rich with his nuclear breath tbh. maybe i could get an apartment then

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it's never too late to get into godzilla

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1183391528238104579

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

john can we talk about that Belize citizen you murdered while on bath salts

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Larry Parrish posted:

wish godzilla would melt the rich with his nuclear breath tbh. maybe i could get an apartment then

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bells_(Game_of_Thrones) :smug:

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I bought Harvey's companion to Capital to read alongside, was that a bad idea. Is there someone else who has a more orthodox interpretation I can read along with.

really i think Capital stands quite well without companion reading on the whole. which is not to say that you won't want to discuss it with people and see what others have thought and written about it, and that's a very good thing and should be encouraged. i just mean that you shouldn't look at any of these companion elements as necessary to succeed. just start on Capital on its own, and you may be surprised to find you don't hit any stumbling blocks

more broadly, if you can get through the first three chapters, you'll find the rest to be fairly breezy. working class folks in the late 19th and early 20th century were able to pick it up and roll. i tend to believe that charges of obscurantism and inconsistency were more the result of people reading complications into it that really don't belong to the text itself

that said, if you do need some assistance with that early matter in vol 1, harry cleaver's Reading Capital Politically (available on libcom) is a good close reading of the first chapter

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 14, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Hell yeah

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

can't wait to learn about chinese imperialism in the KIDS' ZONE

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The KIDS' ZONE is CIA slang for Little St. James

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

buh but commies have no food

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Atrocious Joe posted:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
losing guyovich right when all this NBA vs Hong Kong drama unfolds is a crime against posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

losing guyovich right when all this NBA vs Hong Kong drama unfolds is a crime against posting

guyovich bagged and executed mere days before it went down, nothing to see here folks