Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nibbles sounds more like the crisps and twiglets and whatever in bowls you'd have before Christmas dinner.

Cheese plate or ham plate would come after dinner.

e: 118 is the first three digits of all directory enquiries numbers in the UK.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Are you lot really discussing nibbles and port? Is this the Tory thread?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Meet halfway at "nibbly bits."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Port is nice and I usually end up with a bottle of it for christmas every other year or so, and given the speed I drink that usually lasts me more than long enough.

I actually have a decanter full of it cos the cork dissolved in my last bottle :v:

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

https://twitter.com/Orwell_Fan/status/1183353954673070081?s=19

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

marktheando posted:

Are you lot really discussing nibbles and port? Is this the Tory thread?

This ain't the posh nibbles you know

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nibbles are canapés.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I wonder if they'd voted for independence if they'd be in the eu by now, the Brexit process is hardly fast either

Just think, if the Scottish people had done the right thing in 2014, Cameron would be too cowardly to call the EU referendum AND Jo Swinson wouldn't be eligible for Westminster.

Klepsie
Aug 9, 2019

What if there were no rhetorical questions?
Those with long or obsessive memories may recall me sounding off about the NHS therapist who called me a liar to my face and then tried to gaslight me about it. I promised to keep you updated. Mea culpa.

In the last episode, our hero had been given an "urgent referral" to a different MH team and been told I should hear from them within a day or two.

A few weeks ago I got a letter telling me I would need to carry out an assessment via telephone and I would receive a call at 10.15am the day before I received the letter. I also got a letter the same day telling me that as I had failed to attend the assessment, I needed to telephone them immediately or I would be discharged.

Now, see, one of the issues I have (and it must be on my records) is that my anxiety makes me struggle desperately to use the telephone. So instead of calling them I emailed them to point this out. There was no email on the letter, of course, only the phone number, so I used the contact email shown on their webpage.

It bounced. Email box no longer operative.

I resorted to emailing the gaslighting therapist and asked what the correct email was. She gave me it. I used it.

No response until this week, when I got another letter saying that as they hadn't heard from me I had been discharged.

Emailed the therapist again. Her response: "Just telephone them."

I wonder what the hell they do when someone deaf presents with a mental health issue. Presumably they leave them to kill themself in the gutter.

I wish I could say that I was surprised, I wish I could say that it's the Tories' fault for taking all the NHS's money away, but I've been in the MH system for more than 45 of my 50 years and sadly I know well enough that this is entirely standard.

I don't have the spoons to fight them any more, so I'm pressing on solo yet again. The situation has become like Brexit -- you know it's massively, unfairly wrong, but you're so tired of fighting your corner that you just throw up your hands and say fine, you win, have it your way.

Sorry there's no happy ending to report.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be honest now I think about it Cameron would probably lose in 2015 for being the dumbfuck who lost the union.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

That sausage looks realllly good.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Klepsie posted:

Jesus, I'm sorry to hear this mate.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Gonna try pairing port with flaming hot monster munch on election night :yum:
Your ongoing stalinist purge of monster munch diversity will not be tolerated much further.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

That looks pretty posh to me, or at least extremely middle class.

It’s like when you see a neighbourhood has a deli van instead of a burger van.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Klepsie posted:

The NHS really is poo poo at MH stuff, yeah. I'm just sorry you're on the lovely end of it.

If ever you want to gripe then we're all happy to gripe with you. That's like half of what the thread is for, really.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lmao

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Caught out by the wallet inspector

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Klepsie posted:

Those with long or obsessive memories may recall me sounding off about the NHS therapist who called me a liar to my face and then tried to gaslight me about it. I promised to keep you updated. Mea culpa.

In the last episode, our hero had been given an "urgent referral" to a different MH team and been told I should hear from them within a day or two.

A few weeks ago I got a letter telling me I would need to carry out an assessment via telephone and I would receive a call at 10.15am the day before I received the letter. I also got a letter the same day telling me that as I had failed to attend the assessment, I needed to telephone them immediately or I would be discharged.

Now, see, one of the issues I have (and it must be on my records) is that my anxiety makes me struggle desperately to use the telephone. So instead of calling them I emailed them to point this out. There was no email on the letter, of course, only the phone number, so I used the contact email shown on their webpage.

It bounced. Email box no longer operative.

I resorted to emailing the gaslighting therapist and asked what the correct email was. She gave me it. I used it.

No response until this week, when I got another letter saying that as they hadn't heard from me I had been discharged.

Emailed the therapist again. Her response: "Just telephone them."

I wonder what the hell they do when someone deaf presents with a mental health issue. Presumably they leave them to kill themself in the gutter.

I wish I could say that I was surprised, I wish I could say that it's the Tories' fault for taking all the NHS's money away, but I've been in the MH system for more than 45 of my 50 years and sadly I know well enough that this is entirely standard.

I don't have the spoons to fight them any more, so I'm pressing on solo yet again. The situation has become like Brexit -- you know it's massively, unfairly wrong, but you're so tired of fighting your corner that you just throw up your hands and say fine, you win, have it your way.

poo poo sucks friend.

Speaking of hard-of-hearing people and telephones, textphone might be a functional option, but it's non-trivial to implement. From the perspective of my own experience, what my wife does is turn the volume up super loud and/or use some sort of hearing loop addition, as do many hard of hearing people but for people with complete hearing loss that obviously doesn't work.

ENtirely too much of society works via telephone only, especially healthcare services. There's not a terribly useful solution for people for whom that is unworkable unfortunately.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Frances Weetman Has Logged On

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Faster than I was expecting honestly.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
For the love of god please just ignore her

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

marktheando posted:

Maybe here in the UK but in Argentina it's pretty much the opposite of posh, as I said it's very rooted in the working class culture. That's like the cheapest cheese and salamín you can get and even in times of bad poverty we could afford to have it like once or twice a week in my family no problem, and you can stretch the salamín and cheese quite a bit if you only eat a bit every day

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

Maybe here in the UK but in Argentina it's pretty much the opposite of posh, as I said it's very rooted in the working class culture. That's like the cheapest cheese and salamín you can get and even in times of bad poverty we could afford to have it like once or twice a week in my family no problem, and you can stretch the salamín and cheese quite a bit if you only eat a bit every day

I’m sorry any tasty looking food is posh here.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Really need an Irish nationalist smiley, crying pint of Guinness or whatever

We have a perfectly good mascot to use:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it really deleting your twitter account if you just did it while you were asleep/afk? Do we all delete our twitter accounts every night in that instance? Are our previous tweets really ours, or do we just have a malformed echo of them in the post history of our new selves, reborn anew with each interruption of the constant stream of consciousness that is our posting session?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ah, sure it's himself!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

Is it really deleting your twitter account if you just did it while you were asleep/afk? Do we all delete our twitter accounts every night in that instance? Are our previous tweets really ours, or do we just have a malformed echo of them in the post history of our new selves, reborn anew with each interruption of the constant stream of consciousness that is our posting session?

The teleportation problem doesn't apply here because centrists don't have a consciousness

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

p-tory zombie.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

Anything that you don't microwave or order from a takeaway is positioned as middle class Jamie Oliver snobbery in the UK by some types, even if it's literally peasant staples.

OwlFancier posted:

Are our previous tweets really ours, or do we just have a malformed echo of them in the post history of our new selves, reborn anew with each interruption of the constant stream of consciousness that is our posting session?
It does make me wonder how having a permanent public record of our every trivial thought will affect society in the long run.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Jedit posted:

I know a few people with PhDs and frankly I don't think there's much difference between doing a PhD and jerking off.

Late but big confirm.

ThomasPaine posted:

I am *shocked* at this turn of events. Who had 18 hours in the sweepstakes?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

OwlFancier posted:

p-tory zombie.

Bold to assume that tories might actually be sentient and aren't just malevolent forces of elemental evil

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

marktheando posted:

...cheese and sausage and bread is "extremely middle class" now? :rolleyes:

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 13, 2019

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That Italian Guy posted:

We have a perfectly good mascot to use:

:perfect:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Gonna try pairing port with flaming hot monster munch on election night :yum:

You fool, you'll doom us all!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

If it's being served on a plank or old cutting board separated like that, yes probably, if it's something you make yourself or buy pre assembled out of a packet, no :v:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

OwlFancier posted:

Does weetman dream of electric tweets?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm middle class too. It's just pretty funny when this thread becomes a self parody and starts talking about cheese and wine nights or burning £50 notes in front of homeless people or whatever it is you people get up to in your free time.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

marktheando posted:

It's chopped up food. If anything it's baby class.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
A circular inch thick wooden chopping board is definitely middle class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

cheese and pineapple cubes on sticks, cocktail sausages, and those neon iced party ring biscuits are the food of the petit bourgeoisie I'll have you know