Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had never even heard of it! Is that something that is in a typical supermarket baking aisle or do I need to nab it online? I'd want to try it.

I've never seen it in a supermarket, more's the pity. I first found it on the King Arthur website that I linked, and I see that Amazon also has it now (although the price seems to be much higher on Amazon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I'm not much of a baker but I've also used tapioca to great effect.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TofuDiva posted:

I've never seen it in a supermarket, more's the pity. I first found it on the King Arthur website that I linked, and I see that Amazon also has it now (although the price seems to be much higher on Amazon).

Any Latino market will carry it. It’s a fairly common ingredient.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

TofuDiva posted:

Any food stuff that is annoying to find in a store that is carried on Amazon is probably going to be at least double the price. Really, really annoying.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

dino. posted:

Any Latino market will carry it. It’s a fairly common ingredient.

That is welcome news! Shopping trip coming up.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
13 years ago, in the infancy of this subforum, I posted a cake I made for a friend. But it wasn't just any cake, it was a cake of stature. Of heft.

3 tiers of lovely meatloaf encased in hilariously colored and terribly piped (ziplock bag with a hole in the corner) instant mashed potatoes with a ketchup glaze in between the layers. Proof: https://imgur.com/a/zJoYo

So here we are 13 years later, and that same friend is turning 36, and Meatcake v2.0 is becoming a reality. However, this one has to not suck, so I need your help!

This time I'm going to make the meatloaf MUCH better. Leaning towards Kenji's meatloaf recipe unless anyone has a better one: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/the-food-lab-all-american-meatloaf-excerpt-recipe.html

For the 'icing', I'm using real mashed potatoes. I did a test batch yesterday because I've never properly piped anything before and I needed the practice. I think I've gotten my mash close to where it needs to be. I used butter and milk to make them creamy, but they seem to want to collapse onto themselves a little bit when I pipe rosettes (and you bet your rear end I'm putting rosettes on this cake). I think skipping the milk and going with cream may help, and I might whip in some cream cheese to help with definition as well. Any ideas here?

This was from the test yesterday:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The rosettes are pretty good. Are you asking about structure and longevity? Adding flour is a typical way to get more structure out of mashed potatoes, but I don't know about longevity. Corn starch should definitely work so long as you don't get it too hot.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

angor posted:

13 years ago, in the infancy of this subforum, I posted a cake I made for a friend. But it wasn't just any cake, it was a cake of stature. Of heft.

3 tiers of lovely meatloaf encased in hilariously colored and terribly piped (ziplock bag with a hole in the corner) instant mashed potatoes with a ketchup glaze in between the layers. Proof: https://imgur.com/a/zJoYo

So here we are 13 years later, and that same friend is turning 36, and Meatcake v2.0 is becoming a reality. However, this one has to not suck, so I need your help!

This time I'm going to make the meatloaf MUCH better. Leaning towards Kenji's meatloaf recipe unless anyone has a better one: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/the-food-lab-all-american-meatloaf-excerpt-recipe.html

For the 'icing', I'm using real mashed potatoes. I did a test batch yesterday because I've never properly piped anything before and I needed the practice. I think I've gotten my mash close to where it needs to be. I used butter and milk to make them creamy, but they seem to want to collapse onto themselves a little bit when I pipe rosettes (and you bet your rear end I'm putting rosettes on this cake). I think skipping the milk and going with cream may help, and I might whip in some cream cheese to help with definition as well. Any ideas here?

Wow! This should be spectacular :allears:

Back in the day, we'd beat egg yolks into the hot mash to help with definition and hold while adding richness - something like two yolks to three cups of mash.

By today's safety standards you'd maybe want to use pasteurized eggs, although I haven't made them that way and don't know if pasteurized yolks would affect the results.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Awesome, I'll add a bit of cornstarch in addition to pulling back on the moisture a bit.

Another thing I haven't decided on is the final design. I had originally planned on doing something like this but I don't think I'm ever getting the definition to pull that off. So now I'm leaning towards a drip cake. Iced really cleanly all over, drip (need suggestions a sauce that's going to be nice and glossy), then the rosettes on top. Maybe something similar to this?

Edit: Egg yolks may work, too!

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

angor posted:

Awesome, I'll add a bit of cornstarch in addition to pulling back on the moisture a bit.

Another thing I haven't decided on is the final design. I had originally planned on doing something like this but I don't think I'm ever getting the definition to pull that off. So now I'm leaning towards a drip cake. Iced really cleanly all over, drip (need suggestions a sauce that's going to be nice and glossy), then the rosettes on top. Maybe something similar to this?

Edit: Egg yolks may work, too!

The drip cake look is lovely- maybe the traditional ketchup/bbq sauce glaze, hit with leaf gelatin to stay glossy and smooth when you drip it?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

angor posted:

I remember original meatcake! That rules. I think I saw it linked somewhere else though. So cool. Have you thought about maybe different proteins for different tiers?
I suspect a sold-at-roomtemp fat would help the potatoes. Cream cheese sounds like the right direction, but maybe even American Cheese? The sodium citrate will emulsify stuff nicely.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 12, 2019

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Suspect Bucket posted:

I remember original meatcake! That rules. I think I saw it linked somewhere else though. So cool. Have you thought about maybe different proteins for different tiers?
I suspect a sold-at-roomtemp fat would help the potatoes. Cream cheese sounds like the right direction, but maybe even American Cheese? The sodium citrate will emulsify stuff nicely.

Holy poo poo, different proteins is something I had never thought of. Could do 2 standard meatloafs for the top and bottom and do something totally different in the middle. Suggestions? Turkey?

Also, I'm looking back at that Food Lab meatloaf and it's WAY too involved (and I don't have a food processor anymore). So if anyone has a good meatloaf recipe, I'm all ears.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

angor posted:

Holy poo poo, different proteins is something I had never thought of. Could do 2 standard meatloafs for the top and bottom and do something totally different in the middle. Suggestions? Turkey?

Also, I'm looking back at that Food Lab meatloaf and it's WAY too involved (and I don't have a food processor anymore). So if anyone has a good meatloaf recipe, I'm all ears.

Turkey is good, but maybe even like, ground turkey sausage. Something flavorful enough to be different and that can stand up to the other meatloaf flavors. Maybe like a turkey, sage and cranberry loaf? Or I also saw buffalo wing loaf. Ooooh. Or maybe, if you can ask the butcher, grind some nice bacon and pork together and make a bacon loaf. Crisp it up on both sides under the broiler before making the cake.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You could make bacon (or other charcuterie) roses.
https://ourbestbites.com/how-to-make-a-bacon-bouquet/

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I don't have any advice, but as many years ago I also made a birthday meatcake, and compared to mine, yours looks like it belongs in a magazine! It was a fun surprise and tasted fantastic though; I've been lamenting the fact that I lost the recipe ever since. Thanks for reminding me of the memory, looking forward to your final result :yum:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Yo this air fryer is tite as hell

The lighting for food photraphy in my house is the opposite of tite though

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bluedeanie posted:

Yo this air fryer is tite as hell

The lighting for food photraphy in my house is the opposite of tite though
The lighting looks like it unevenly burned your frozen fries.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
So I decided to do the Kenji meatloaf in the end. I spread the mixture between two 8" cake pans but there was much less filling than I had anticipated, so they're pretty drat flat which is pretty disheartening. Thankfully, I did decide to do a third layer (mostly turkey with a bit of pork and Indian spices). That one has filled up the pan much more nicely and is in the oven now, so I should at least have SOME height.

Thumposaurus posted:

You could make bacon (or other charcuterie) roses.
https://ourbestbites.com/how-to-make-a-bacon-bouquet/

Those are awesome, but they look decidedly like bacon. I'm attempting to make this look 100% like a regular cake until it's cut into for the reveal.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

SubG posted:

The lighting looks like it unevenly burned your frozen fries.

That definitely happened but I also have a basket style air fryer which means the fries were done in the oven, so they were gonna suck no matter what. The wings turned out crispy and delicious with only maybe a teaspoon of oil.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I made some cranberry sauce last night and it didn't thicken at all. Can I put it back on the stovetop to reduce and add pectin, or do I have to start from scratch?

It usually doesn't turn out well when I make it, so if someone has a recipe that they've had success with, I'd love to see it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ego-bot posted:

I made some cranberry sauce last night and it didn't thicken at all. Can I put it back on the stovetop to reduce and add pectin, or do I have to start from scratch?

It usually doesn't turn out well when I make it, so if someone has a recipe that they've had success with, I'd love to see it.

Should be fine to put it back on the stove and reduce it further. Mine is based on the one that I think is up on GWS wiki (does anyone use that thing anymore?), that is basically boiling/popping cranberries in a lambic.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Ego-bot posted:

1 bag of cranberries
1 cup of orange juice
.5 to 1 cup of sugar depending on your desired sour factor
.25 teaspoon salt
1 tsp powdered ginger (optional/to taste)

Put everything but the cranberries in a 4qt pot on the stove over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved, then add the cranberries. Stir the cranberries and watch for the mixture to start boiling; you want it boiling it not terrible so. Stir the mixture until nearly all the cranberries are popped. Decant into something pretty and serve or chill.

It is delicious warm and gooey, but will thicken up to be more of a spread in the fridge. It'll never reach canned log consistency without extra gelatin or pectin, but I do not suggest you go for that.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
It's done. Info to come, but here's a pic for now:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

angor posted:

It's done. Info to come, but here's a pic for now:

You're a monster.

I assume it had to be chilled up until service to avoid letting the ketchup smell ruin the surprise?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I done hosed up and burned a good chunk of chili to the bottom of my dutch oven. The usual soak overnight and boil water & scrape routines are not getting the job done. Anyone have any tips?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Springfield Fatts posted:

I done hosed up and burned a good chunk of chili to the bottom of my dutch oven. The usual soak overnight and boil water & scrape routines are not getting the job done. Anyone have any tips?
Those coarse stainless steel steel wool/scrubby things and a scotchbrite pad and barkeeper’s friend can work miracles. Also get it really smoking hot and then dump in some boiling water. And soak for more than overnight. Water will eventually soften that stuff up. Is it enameled or just raw iron?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's enameled, and I've heard steel wool is bad for that so I've avoided it. I boiled some vinegar & baking soda which helped, I'll try the longer soak and give it another go.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Baking soda works wonders. Just a little bit of water (very little) to make a paste. It'll remove the last of what's left after you get the real thick stuff off.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I used tapioca for thickening this weekend and very much get the right thickness. I still have some Clear Gel coming to see if I get that crazy, frozen syrup effect.

If you'd like to see something very nerdy about this kind of thing, watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvT4G-p9DmQ

They're boiling up different types of starches and showing how they behave at room temperature and then after refrigeration.

It's enameled, and I've heard steel wool is bad for that so I've avoided it. I boiled some vinegar & baking soda which helped, I'll try the longer soak and give it another go.
If it's enameled cast iron, then you might be able to use those chainmail scrubbers.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Simmer a good amount of baking soda in water in the pot. I once burned the everloving poo poo out of some lemons and water (ironically, I was trying to get rid of a smell), and all the scorched matter came up like magic

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Fiending to make an elotes mac and cheese, and I'm sure that's something that's been done before. Anyone have some good pointers or even some recipes to look at?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Okay last batch of tepache was fermented pineapple juice with cinnamon, brown sugar, habanero and ginger. It was great!

This current batch used brown sugar, cubeb peppers, long peppercorns, and grains of paradise. It tastes interestingly complex but it has a very distinct fart nose. I tasted the spices beforehand but didn’t notice fart in them. If you were to guess which of the spices contributed fart notes, which would you pin the blame on?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Okay last batch of tepache was fermented pineapple juice with cinnamon, brown sugar, habanero and ginger. It was great!

This current batch used brown sugar, cubeb peppers, long peppercorns, and grains of paradise. It tastes interestingly complex but it has a very distinct fart nose. I tasted the spices beforehand but didn’t notice fart in them. If you were to guess which of the spices contributed fart notes, which would you pin the blame on?

Might be a spice, but fart smell is usually a yeast thing.

1) what kind of yeast did you use to ferment?
2) how long has it been?

A lot of yeasts have a secondary fermentation phase where they smell really yeasty/farty, and only time gets rid of that. Judging from the foam still in the bottle, I’d bet if you let that stuff rest for a week and rack it off into another bottle, it’ll lose that quality.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, it was the fastest fermentation I’ve done, 12 hours of first and 12 hours of second. All my previous batches were 2-3 days

Putting in spent pulp from previous batches really boosts the fermentation, the jar was hissing in 8 hours but maybe I rode that a little too fast

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

AnonSpore posted:

Fiending to make an elotes mac and cheese, and I'm sure that's something that's been done before. Anyone have some good pointers or even some recipes to look at?

This is a great idea. Use queso Oaxaca, Monterey Jack, garnish with queso fresco and Parmesan. Grilled corn (duh), cilantro, lime juice, chili powder. Probably gonna be pretty rich but I'd eat it. Might make some myself this week.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

prayer group posted:

This is a great idea. Use queso Oaxaca, Monterey Jack, garnish with queso fresco and Parmesan. Grilled corn (duh), cilantro, lime juice, chili powder. Probably gonna be pretty rich but I'd eat it. Might make some myself this week.

Queso fresco and not cotija? Man...

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, it was the fastest fermentation I’ve done, 12 hours of first and 12 hours of second. All my previous batches were 2-3 days

Putting in spent pulp from previous batches really boosts the fermentation, the jar was hissing in 8 hours but maybe I rode that a little too fast

Yeah, give it a few days to settle down. Your pulp from previous batches might have gotten some wild funk in it as well. So it goes.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

(s)he who smelt it, dealt it

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
How is it that frozen dinners can have 50% of the RDI for sodium and still have basically no taste?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Queso fresco and not cotija? Man...

I meant to say cotija. I have forgotten the face of my father.