Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was actually a good episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Using Greco-Roman tactics is actually good against zombies.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The fire scene was really well done, lots of PTSD, Neagan is still a delight, somehow they have managed to stop the girl playing judith to stop growing for the continuity. Blew most of the seasons budget on effects. Solid 9/10

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Wow, a new season and 3 new posts! This thread used to fill dozens of pages during a new episode.

Anyway, this was a very enjoyable episode! So good to see them using classical warfare tactics, I"m hoping the show will pivot away from cars/guns and just becomes like that all the time.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

opening scene would've been cooler if it wasn't for like, 20 zombies that michonne and drrl could've just taken out themselves.

alpha popping up at the end was the dumbest fuckin poo poo though. i will admit that was probably the best episode in like 3 seasons?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
How does a single CGI deer feed 200 people?

Did I hear that right?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I took note of that as well, she said 200 people. Didn't seem to be a large deer even.

But it's ok, the episode had a Soviet satellite crash too for some reason.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 7, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

It took note of that well, she said 200 people. Didn't seem to be a large deer even.

Oh they did a Red Comet episode in this show too?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Gortarius posted:

Did I hear that right?

i totally forgot about that line, haha

John F Bennett posted:

I took note of that as well, she said 200 people. Didn't seem to be a large deer even.

i like how all Eugene had to do was look up into the sky to suddenly know "this is going to cause a brush fire too close to us"

wish i could calculate satellite trajectories like he can, on the fly :science:

like, what a contrived happening. why not just have it be something reasonable, like a lightning strike? NOPE. gotta go for that USSR era satellite

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh they did a Red Comet episode in this show too?

Kinda, I guess. Specifically an old satellite crashed inside Whisperer territory and caused a forest fire and the the protagonists went in to put it out.

And I'm sure Alpha will be forever grateful that they risked their lives to solve a problem she couldn't solve and not use it as a pretense for war.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I mean it's not completely far-fetched

There was some story of a physicist that prevented skylab from falling down on the camp talent show by rolling a dungeon nerd's dice a lot

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I also like where Eugene insisted on salvaging the "valuable" burned up 40 year old Soviet technology from the satellite.

Dude, a DVD player probably has better tech in it you could use, and there's a pallet of them in your local Walmart...

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Did Michonne say the Whisperers have a nuclear weapon? What was that about, do the Whisperers have an Atom Bomb.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

No, the Whisperers don't have access to nuclear weapons, they were referencing the giant horde of zombies that they showed after the fair last season.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Johnny Truant posted:

i totally forgot about that line, haha

i like how all Eugene had to do was look up into the sky to suddenly know "this is going to cause a brush fire too close to us"

wish i could calculate satellite trajectories like he can, on the fly :science:

like, what a contrived happening. why not just have it be something reasonable, like a lightning strike? NOPE. gotta go for that USSR era satellite

all that Yar's Revenge practice finally being put to use

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

John F Bennett posted:

Did Michonne say the Whisperers have a nuclear weapon? What was that about, do the Whisperers have an Atom Bomb.

Yes, in the last season they revealed that their main camp was at an old abandoned military base, and they had some silos with rockets in them. I don't think they would be able to use them though but whatever, it's walking dead.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Are we supposed to know who the bro doctor is?

I'm guessing he's gonna be a whisperer or something?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

moist turtleneck posted:

Are we supposed to know who the bro doctor is?

I'm guessing he's gonna be a whisperer or something?

Yeah, what the hell was up with him? And his "Nice one Man, or should I say God!" or whatever the line was.

Rest of episode was good though, after FTWD almost anything would be, but I actually started caring what was going on.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
He had the same energy as the construction worker neighbor from Office Space

and no it wasn't him I just checked :negative:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Grinning Goblin posted:

No, the Whisperers don't have access to nuclear weapons, they were referencing the giant horde of zombies that they showed after the fair last season.

With this line, the appearance of the satellite and the new dude who's name I can't even remember asking "what about the radiation" - I'm pretty sure they're going to pull an RTG or something out of the satellite and it will be a THING.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Someone, preferably not AMC, should give Dana DeLorenzo a zombie show. AvED is over and I need the hole filled.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It was a good episode, looks like they're no longer relying on comic stories so they'll make their own way. Or they did a good first episode to reel us in and the rest will be awful and slow...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Marmaduke! posted:

It was a good episode, looks like they're no longer relying on comic stories so they'll make their own way. Or they did a good first episode to reel us in and the rest will be awful and slow...

Episode 2 is drat good, Might be my fav for the last couple of seasons.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They should have showed us Beta's messed up face.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I really hate the narrative structure of these episodes. Stop flashing between groups and just...move the story forward please.

The scene between the doctor and Bro-Doctor whoever he was felt like something from Eastenders, the acting was so stilted and weird. And yea the line about a nuclear weapon confused us loads, what? Now I'm not sure if it's metaphorical or literal after reading the posts above.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Episode one was great, episode two was boring as hell imo. I kind of like the whisperers as an enemy but I couldn't care less about the boring drama inside their group. I also hate the dumb over the top unrealistic dialogue they all use.

Anyway I assume and hope all the crap in this episode will be relevent to the future plot in a way that kind of makes it worth it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Ep 2 was boring but kinda interesting but I'm starting to feel like we're gonna get another view of "where were you when the ussr macguffin fell" for the next ep too

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I guess we know what is going to be Lydias ultimate fate now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

moist turtleneck posted:

Ep 2 was boring but kinda interesting but I'm starting to feel like we're gonna get another view of "where were you when the ussr macguffin fell" for the next ep too

God drat, I hope not. What a waste of an episode if they do.
I really don't even understand what the point of the satellite falling is.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The great fire in the sky will be used as a symbol to usher in a new era of peace and understanding of course.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think i watched season 9 and may even missed part of 8 but is this show still getting worse with every episode? Sounds like people didnt mind the most recent one.

Gortarius posted:

Did I hear that right?

Ctrl+C Ctrl+V

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

moist turtleneck posted:

rick grimes saw it

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Beginning of the episode had the best gore in the series

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gortarius posted:

Did I hear that right?

Might feed 200 people once

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Rocksicles posted:

Might feed 200 people once

Yeah a healthy deer leaves about 60-80 pounds of edible meat, then you triple that number because a standard serving of meat is 4 ounces, give or take some choice cuts for Carol and Daryl because they caught the deer, then mix in the local harvest for sides and spices and you come close to giving 200 people a nice dinner.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah a healthy deer leaves about 60-80 pounds of edible meat, then you triple that number because a standard serving of meat is 4 ounces, give or take some choice cuts for Carol and Daryl because they caught the deer, then mix in the local harvest for sides and spices and you come close to giving 200 people a nice dinner.

If you stewed it with mirepoix and some taters, pinch of kosher salt. that'd feed 200 people with seconds. That's good eatin.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Good thing we have some deer hunters in this thread! I honestly did not know how many people could be fed with a single deer. Consider me schooled.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The trick in the original question is, a CGI deer feeds exactly zero people.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

Episode 2 is drat good, Might be my fav for the last couple of seasons.

Yes, most interesting episode in several seasons, and it was great to get the backstory of Alpha and Beta. Samantha Morton's really good in this role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I fell asleep in ep 2 twice

I expected alpha and beta to murderbang after her "I like killin with you" line