Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Chainclaw posted:

I played a game with the wrong rules for the Ad-Mech Dunerider. I didn't know I needed to keep the assembly instructions, they were the only source for the official rules for the unit. Battlescribe had the wrong rules for the unit.

edit: I've been slowly working on a rules helper app for 40k and Kill Team. My fiance needed some wireframes for her portfolio, and wants to build some smart watch apps. We're starting with Kill Team because the rules are similar, and Kill Team is a bit easier. So far she's built a wireframe for the movement phase. I figured I would share if anyone has any feedback, and because I'm excited about what she's designed so far.

Never had a smartwatch, but it seems like a pretty small screen for the amount of info in the once-slimmed-down 8th edition rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

goose willis posted:

Do you honestly need anything outside of 1d4chan tactics pages and Battlescribe

Yes. BattleScribe is horrible when it comes to describing specific rules/relics, and doesn’t go into stratagems.

The latter I suppose can be fixed with datacards, however to be honest I always try to use them but end up just having the book list of stratagems for reference.

Having a physical book is also helpful because I can make FAQ scribbles and adjustments, I have never checked enhanced versions of digital copies however I don’t think those are always updated.

I do use BattleScribe for list building, however not for actually figuring out how I want to flavor it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Chainclaw posted:

I played a game with the wrong rules for the Ad-Mech Dunerider. I didn't know I needed to keep the assembly instructions, they were the only source for the official rules for the unit. Battlescribe had the wrong rules for the unit.

edit: I've been slowly working on a rules helper app for 40k and Kill Team. My fiance needed some wireframes for her portfolio, and wants to build some smart watch apps. We're starting with Kill Team because the rules are similar, and Kill Team is a bit easier. So far she's built a wireframe for the movement phase. I figured I would share if anyone has any feedback, and because I'm excited about what she's designed so far.

I have usability concerns about this but it's a neat idea

goose willis posted:

Do you honestly need anything outside of 1d4chan tactics pages and Battlescribe

Yes I too love my tactics to be poorly written and interspersed with rape jokes by people with no idea what they're talking about screaming disagreements with each other

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

TheBigAristotle posted:

Never had a smartwatch, but it seems like a pretty small screen for the amount of info in the once-slimmed-down 8th edition rules

I could see it working on a tablet or something but yeah, I think a smartwatch screen is far too small for something like that to be practical.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
There was a guy on reddit doing Warcry-style cards for Kill Team with the aim of doing simple visual representations. Could be interesting to look at for what you're trying to do.
https://www.reddit.com/r/killteam/comments/dc3m5m/update_3_final_designs_of_my_custom_kill_cards/

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
To the goon hammer crew, seriously well bloody done. Great site, great content, please keep it up.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Foul Ole Ron posted:

To the goon hammer crew, seriously well bloody done. Great site, great content, please keep it up.

:yeah:

I'd also love to see more articles like: "Explain basic probability, and how it impacts [commonly questioned topic]"

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
After months of procrastination I've got myself a squad of colourful catachans painted up. :toot:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Free rules compiled in one massive file with proper hyper links and have your awesome models sell the game.

Or whatever the current bullshit is I don’t have shares so whatever.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
the goonhammer article about terrain setup helped immensely today.

to bad it was ruined by my deciding to try out the iron hands rules on a lark and somehow won before I even took my second turn.

I didn't even use any of the crazy stuff just lots of vehicles with lieutenants.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groetgaffel posted:

After months of procrastination I've got myself a squad of colourful catachans painted up. :toot:

Oh, nice. What are they made from?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Am I getting Berensta/ein Bears or was this new Eldar Psychic Awakening supplement originally supposed to be an expansion for every army?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

moths posted:

Am I getting Berensta/ein Bears or was this new Eldar Psychic Awakening supplement originally supposed to be an expansion for every army?

No, there are multiple supplements over the campaign.

If the rumours (which have been pretty accurate thus far) are to be believed, we will get various imperial versus various xenos boxes to accompany new supplements much like this one.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

There's a bunch more books coming. Each will likely only focus on a couple factions at a time so we just have to be patient. I think the next one is rumored to involve the Black Templars and some kind of enemy (chaos marines?), but we'll probably find out for sure soon enough.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Safety Factor posted:

There's a bunch more books coming. Each will likely only focus on a couple factions at a time so we just have to be patient. I think the next one is rumored to involve the Black Templars and some kind of enemy (chaos marines?), but we'll probably find out for sure soon enough.

Yeah. Templars v Chaos. BA v nids. Wolves v Orks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok cool. I wonder if they're going to just put out web supplements for some of the other armies, because otherwise this is going to be something like an eight book series.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

moths posted:

Ok cool. I wonder if they're going to just put out web supplements for some of the other armies, because otherwise this is going to be something like an eight book series.

It is probably going to be something like an eight book series.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Stephenls posted:

It is probably going to be something like an eight book series.

I don't mind this that much. I'm already carting around space marines and a supplement. It's not all that bad (as long as your club keeps FAQ and errata stuff).

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'd also love to see more articles like: "Explain basic probability, and how it impacts [commonly questioned topic]"

You're in luck: I already wrote that - https://www.goonhammer.com/getting-better-at-warhammer-40000-understanding-probability/

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

The Necromunda Escher box.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

TheChirurgeon started that, and then I turned it into a weekly column.

If you have any ideas for a topic please let me know.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Exactly boys, that’s the good stuff.

Especially the easily digestible “so what” stuff. Like the graphic you made of the space marines charging the tau and showing the different %s.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Dawgstar posted:

Seconding this, what did you make those baller Carachan conversions out of? Escher Gang + 1 catachan lasgun arm?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Has anyone considered forking the 1d4chan tactics section and as a collaborative effort, remove all the rape jokes and keep the useful portions while rewriting the more ambiguous or bad parts? I mean you basically have an entire strategy guide written right there, and not ALL of it is terrible, it's a good core for something with some teamwork.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's mostly terrible or wrong or not up to date thanks to FAQs and points costs.

Just wait for Goonhammer to do an actually good article.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
isnt that all goonhammer is?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

goose willis posted:

Has anyone considered forking the 1d4chan tactics section and as a collaborative effort, remove all the rape jokes and keep the useful portions while rewriting the more ambiguous or bad parts? I mean you basically have an entire strategy guide written right there, and not ALL of it is terrible, it's a good core for something with some teamwork.

Plagiarism is still plagiarism and while we're making our own version in the start competing articles there's going to be a preference for working from scratch for the authors. It also suffers from multiple authors squabbling rather than there being a single cohesive vision.

If you personally find usefulness in 1d4chan tactics articles thats great but there's no moral imperative for the community to sanitize them as the one true way.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Does anyone know if Black Templar Contrast works as a close enough replacement for Nuln Oil? I'm running low on the latter and will be getting Black Templar anyway in order to try out Contrast. Around 80% of the time I'm using Nuln Oil over Leadbelcher.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

xtothez posted:

Does anyone know if Black Templar Contrast works as a close enough replacement for Nuln Oil? I'm running low on the latter and will be getting Black Templar anyway in order to try out Contrast. Around 80% of the time I'm using Nuln Oil over Leadbelcher.

Try it on a random piece of sprue?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Seconding this, what did you make those baller Carachan conversions out of? Escher Gang + 1 catachan lasgun arm?
Oh no, it's all straight from the Escher box. Or well, Escher boxes. You get six lasguns in a box IIRC.

I raided my bitz box and built me some officers from the spare bodies.

Company commanders. Chainsword from the cadian sprue, the extra bling shoulder pads are from the baneblade commander.

Not pictured because they're not painted yet, two platoon commanders with the regular swords you get in the Escher box and the less fancy shoulder pads with just the skull that you get with any other tank commander. Chimera, Leman Russ, Hellhound, you name it.

Gunnery sergeant Harker, bits from all over the place.

Colonel Straken. All Escher box except for the robot arm, that's the stubber pistol arm from a magos dominus with the barrel chopped of and replaced with a shotgun barrel.

E: oh and the vitally important random skull hanging from the belt is from the skull box.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 13, 2019

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

Try it on a random piece of sprue?

Haven't bought it yet. I'm asking if it's worth buying more nuln oil when I place the order or just saving the money.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

xtothez posted:

Haven't bought it yet. I'm asking if it's worth buying more nuln oil when I place the order or just saving the money.

It's too dark and doesn't shade down that well unleess you're using it on the entire bit, just get more nuln oil for shading.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

xtothez posted:

It is too situational. Black Templar would be equivalent to 2-3 coats of Nuln. I wouldn’t advise getting one to do the function of both.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

goose willis posted:

I edited a bunch of that stuff out in the 30k articles and nobody put it back almost a whole year later for what it's worth.

It's a wiki, just edit it.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I just won a Shadowspear box at a LGS tournament and officially have no excuse not to get my Primaris army rolling. What is the current opinion of Incursors versus Infiltrators? The ignore cover and optional mine at a cheaper cost seems like the better buy but I’d like to know how they’ve worked for people.

Also Ultramarines are absolutely ruinous against GSC and I’m not sure there’s much they can do about it. Packing so many shots and being able to back out and fire just completely wrecks a T3 melee army. Their tricks did great against Astra Militarum and Harlequins but oof SM are rough.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PierreTheMime posted:

I just won a Shadowspear box at a LGS tournament and officially have no excuse not to get my Primaris army rolling. What is the current opinion of Incursors versus Infiltrators? The ignore cover and optional mine at a cheaper cost seems like the better buy but I’d like to know how they’ve worked for people.

Also Ultramarines are absolutely ruinous against GSC and I’m not sure there’s much they can do about it. Packing so many shots and being able to back out and fire just completely wrecks a T3 melee army. Their tricks did great against Astra Militarum and Harlequins but oof SM are rough.

Infiltrators are pretty expensive but useful blockers. I haven't seen Incursors used much, but they seem pretty flexible for assault or shooting. In general it seems like folks prefer scouts for cheap battalion fillers or Intercessors for the flexibility.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

lmfao

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/13/coming-soon-salamanders-imperial-fists-and-more/

Next two marine supplements are up next, along with the characters, Impulsor and new troop units.

OhDearGodNo posted:

It is too situational. Black Templar would be equivalent to 2-3 coats of Nuln. I wouldn’t advise getting one to do the function of both.

JBP posted:

It's too dark and doesn't shade down that well unleess you're using it on the entire bit, just get more nuln oil for shading.

Thanks, good to know. Didn't realise it would be that different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Is that thunder hammer small, or are Primaris just big?