Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Literally Elvis posted:

I hate to say it, because I loving hate this trog, but I don’t think he completely hosed this up the way I would have expected.

I’m obviously open to the idea that I’m wrong, tho.

The average HK resident, especially student, has an idealized view of what the US is. A US congressman coming to HK probably is giving them unrealistic hopes that the US will intervene. The protesters have been basically asking the US to save them somehow. I have a very bleak view of this whole HK protest thing -- the Chinese are not going to back down, and nobody is going to be willing to interfere with internal Chinese politics. Sadly most of these protesters lost what they're fighting for before they were even born, in 1996.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

VH4Ever posted:

Right, that's clearly a bullshit abuse of the system. I just tend to avoid sweeping statement generally so nothing personal. I agree with you, top to bottom how we treat mental health is hosed and when you add our broken police departments it becomes hosed squared.

Nah this is bullshit. Someone said something mean about cops so you had to swoop in and do a "well actually" that didn't really add anything. Be honest and ask yourself why that is.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1183378645756215296

quote:

Patriot Prayer leader Joey Gibson is using an untraceable church to raise money for his legal bills and political activity after multiple crowdfunding sites and payment processors severed ties with accounts linked directly to him and his right-wing group. Gibson began promoting the “Church of Faith and Freedom” across his social media platforms last month, telling supporters that he now prefers that they send him donations through the organization’s website.

In recent solicitations, the conservative activist claims his political opponents have “done everything they can to shut down ways for Christians to fund raise, accept donations, or make any money at all.” “Thankfully,” Gibson’s pitch continues, “’The Church of Faith and Freedom’ is helping us Christians by accepting donations on our behalf in order to legally fight back against this discrimination.”

According to the above-linked report, no such church or non-profit exists. Gibson is a facing felony riot charges and a $1 million civil lawsuit stemming from a violent brawl with Antifa activists.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SchrodingersCat posted:

Is this surprising? Welcome to American Capitalism, the next best thing to hereditary nobility

I work with a guy who's wife is decently high up in a fortune 500 company. Pretty much everyone making over 100,000 is either a family friend of the top executives, family of the top executives, or talent scouted out of schools like Yale or Harvard, where you also have to be either rich or family to attend. Truly smart people from the "lower class" are hired in and ground into the dirt until they quit, and are replaced with new grads No matter how hard they try, or how good they are, they are never allowed beyond a certain level. The rich live off the sweat and toil of the lower class.

The rich control everything, and don't want anyone who isn't already rich to enter their atmosphere.

The American Dream is dead and has been for about 40 years.

It isn't surprising to people paying even a tiny bit of attention but measuring it is important.

It is also an indication that the rich know poo poo is getting worse. They used to be somewhat ok with their kids possibly slipping down the wealth ladder a bit since the kid would almost always catch themselves a few rungs down where they would still live a comfortable life. But the rich have systematically ripped out those rungs to the point that going down a few of the remaining ones is what they see as a catastrophic reduction in quality of life, so mommy and daddy are pulling out all the stops to keep their little morons secure.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

i am harry posted:

Woke up to find these colors run like a bitch.

Google Butt posted:

I can barely read about what's happening to the kurds man, this is just unconscionable.

https://twitter.com/BenjaminHallFNC/status/1183401965247778816

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Right, the idea that the rich would want MORE people to be rich, and would be welcoming to the “temporarily poor millionaires” once they’ve sorted things out is also insanity. Especially because with the rise in wealth comes a rise in feelings of self superiority to the point where they view poorer people as less human.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shifty Pony posted:

Also since we're on the subject of nepotism, this is a good read:

https://twitter.com/WaywardWinifred/status/1183383971935277059

The rich are more than ever making sure that their failsons cannot actually fail, resulting in a whole bunch of potential opportunities being wasted on people who have absolutely no legitimate reason to get them.

This is a good article but it still suffers from the implicit framing that smart and talented people deserve to be more successful and privileged than others -- which leads to the contraposition that if you're not smart or talented then you deserve to wallow in misery with the rest of the idiot failures. The outrage here is that undeserving people are reaping the benefits of being in America's upper class, not that there's a lower class where people can barely scrape out a living and an upper class where people are treated like kings.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

The average HK resident, especially student, has an idealized view of what the US is. A US congressman coming to HK probably is giving them unrealistic hopes that the US will intervene. The protesters have been basically asking the US to save them somehow. I have a very bleak view of this whole HK protest thing -- the Chinese are not going to back down, and nobody is going to be willing to interfere with internal Chinese politics. Sadly most of these protesters lost what they're fighting for before they were even born, in 1996.

I guess my bar is just so low for that guy, that I didn’t expect him to call out police brutality at all, but I knew better than to elevate my sentiments about him.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Haberman always with her "isolated and alone" takes

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/WithinSyriaBlog/status/1183403640872144897?s=20

:chaostrump:

there's a video floating of the aftermath of a convoy being airstriked by turkey; there were french and brazilian reporters in that convoy

also, shocking, a lot of video/pictures of summary executions of SDF/YPG forces

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 13, 2019

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

Police pretty routinely abuse their ability to put people on holds for mental health emergencies too. Cops are trained that they can put people on a 72-hour hold if that person is a danger to themselves or others. Here's the California law, as an example, and it's pretty goddamn vague.

So to solve the problem of "caller complained this person was loud or scary" it's trivially easy for police to articulate how someone is a danger to themselves or someone else. Half the posts in this thread could be stretched into armchair psychology justification to put someone on this hold.

Then the police take you to the hospital for some bullshit, the emergency psych people are regularly dealing with people who don't need to be there, and so they're wasting a ton of time screening someone that really just got picked up for contempt of cop. Which is prevalent enough it has it's own Wikipedia page Jesus Christ America. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt_of_cop

There is no way for this person to make any reasonable claim that their civil rights were violated, and no consequences for police who abuse this. This happens every shift in every police department in every city in the U.S.

Just being rude to a cop can be construed this way. Because "normal" people are of course respectful and properly deferential to the police, so if you're not you clearly are ready to fight the police, and if you're ready to fight the police you're ready to fight anyone.

This is first-hand poo poo from my turn being the C in ACAB.

Then your car probably got impounded too, you're going to be late for work, the hospital cuts you lose but you're miles from home and maybe without money/phone/pants.

There are some police departments trying to make this better, by embedding social workers in with cops, since this thread is depressing as gently caress normally, so there's some sunshine I guess: https://q13fox.com/2018/02/09/social-workers-paired-up-with-police-officers-in-the-fight-against-homelessness-and-addiction/

tl,dr: Don't call the police, especially for mental health stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/WithinSyriaBlog/status/1183403640872144897?s=20

:chaostrump:

there's a video floating of the aftermath of a convoy being airstriked by turkey; there were french and brazilian reporters in that convoy

as in defending the kurds or killing them?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

empty whippet box posted:

gently caress that dude you could use that energy on educating and activating people who already do or easily will agree with you. Cut them out of your life to the extent that you can and avoid interacting at all costs.

No. The right wins when the left walks away. Yes, some people are unreachable, but if they don't hear left ideas they will never adopt left ideas. Cutting them off is abandoning them to the other side.

I'm not saying to engage every chud you meet, but the ones that you have a personal relationship with, they can be affected. It never happens instantly, but I've seen it happen over time.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

"We come in peace!"

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is a good article but it still suffers from the implicit framing that smart and talented people deserve to be more successful and privileged than others -
Yes?

quote:

- which leads to the contraposition that if you're not smart or talented then you deserve to wallow in misery with the rest of the idiot failures.
Not really.

quote:

The outrage here is that undeserving people are reaping the benefits of being in America's upper class, not that there's a lower class where people can barely scrape out a living and an upper class where people are treated like kings.

I don't disagree, but your statement makes very little sense.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Matt Taibbi can go gently caress himself
https://twitter.com/mirkel/status/1183203687319121921

quote:

Trump’s campaign antagonism toward the military and intelligence world was at best a millimeter thick. Like almost everything else he said as a candidate, it was a gimmick, designed to get votes. That he was insincere and full of it and irresponsible, at first at least, when he attacked the “deep state” and the “fake news media,” doesn’t change the reality of what’s happened since. Even paranoiacs have enemies, and even Donald “Deep State” Trump is a legitimately elected president whose ouster is being actively sought by the intelligence community.
I don’t believe most Americans have thought through what a successful campaign to oust Donald Trump would look like. Most casual news consumers can only think of it in terms of Mike Pence becoming president. The real problem would be the precedent of a de facto intelligence community veto over elections, using the lunatic spookworld brand of politics that has dominated the last three years of anti-Trump agitation.

CIA/FBI-backed impeachment could also be a self-fulfilling prophecy. If Donald Trump thinks he’s going to be jailed upon leaving office, he’ll sooner or later figure out that his only real move is to start acting like the “dictator” MSNBC and CNN keep insisting he is. Why give up the White House and wait to be arrested, when he still has theoretical authority to send Special Forces troops rappelling through the windows of every last Russiagate/Ukrainegate leaker? That would be the endgame in a third world country, and it’s where we’re headed, unless someone calls off this craziness. Welcome to the Permanent Power Struggle.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1183211646573072384

"Sid" J. Gautreaux III (REP) 70.56% 92,897
John Bel Edwards (DEM) 61.40% 82,559

Sheriff Murderjail :bravo:

https://twitter.com/AngieMaxwell1/status/1183219951416594433

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/jeremymbarr/status/1183233179580358656?s=19

Is Shepard Smith leading some sort of mass exodus?
Carl Cameron joined Fox News in 1995 and left in August 2017. He's been working for the past two years for Front Page Live, which claims to provide "daily news and progressive analysis", though I've never heard of it. The front page at least seems non-chuddy at any rate.

Cameron's in the news not because he's leaving alongside Smith, but because he gave an interview about Smith leaving.

quote:

The reality is that without Shep’s show, Fox News’ 24 hour news wheel is down to the Bret Baier show. Most of the rest is predominantly talk.. and the American people need to hear that so they can make good judgments. Otherwise it’s just propaganda, and that’s the stuff of third-world nations, not the one that prides itself as leader of all nations.
So they're attacking him as a good for nothing nobody they employed for twenty-two years out of the kindness of their hearts, I guess?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"Welcome to permanent power struggle. Please do not resist Glorious Leader and force him to do Things We Will All Regret."

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 13, 2019

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Why is he lauding theoretical authority held by the president and diminishing actual authority held by the people? I cannot praise him for trying to justify his fears.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

bird cooch posted:

Yes?

Not really.

I don't disagree, but your statement makes very little sense.

His statement makes complete sense.

He's saying that the meritocratic framing of the article is problematic in and of itself. You can disagree without the weird "I just can't possibly understand what you mean!" thing that you're doing here.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

follow that camel!! posted:

tl,dr: Don't call the police, especially for mental health stuff.

Who are we supposed to call then?

Like, CORE teams are great and all for the homeless but they arent equipped for the kind of situations in which we'd need to call the cops for.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

No one, you're hosed, get used to it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

while i sorta agree that i could see trump trying to go "well i am king now" on twitter or whatever. he doesn't have the military/intelligence/federal LEO support to pull it off, espcially after betraying the kurds.

also "the solution to a crime president is to bow down to his will" is a hell of a take.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Like, CORE teams are great and all for the homeless but they arent equipped for the kind of situations in which we'd need to call the cops for.

I hear the fire department has helped in those situations without axe murdering people

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also "the solution to a crime president is to bow down to his will" is a hell of a take.

I agree. The correct response to learning that a corrupt authority figure could unilaterally and unjustly seek the actual destruction of their opponents is to stop said figure at all costs, not cower before them and enshrine them as some sort of wrathful stone age deity.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Fallom posted:

I hear the fire department has helped in those situations without axe murdering people

Problem is that most emergency services are unified dispatch. So unless you straight up lie to dispatch and say someone is having a heart attack or their house is on fire you are probably gonna always get the cops first.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fallom posted:

There are situations in which the person is or is very likely to be combative, though. I'd think the fire department would still end up calling the cops, no?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I really reallllllyyy respect his post-2008 financial crises reporting, OWS, and the financial sector in general.

But his whole “gosh guys the Democrats loving suck can’t they see how Trump is playing beautiful 16th dimensional chess against us?” Shtick is getting loving irritating. Fast. Also now impeachment is bad because...it benefits the intel community...somehow?

When did Taibbi’s brain break so bad? Was it when he returned to rolling stone after his short freelance stint?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

while i sorta agree that i could see trump trying to go "well i am king now" on twitter or whatever. he doesn't have the military/intelligence/federal LEO support to pull it off, espcially after betraying the kurds.

yea this wasn't the 'Taibbi says he loves Trump's crimes, actually' take some are making it out but going from 'the president has functionally declared he's above the law, and there's little to do about it other than either roll over and agree or make our highest priority removing him from office and cleaning up the executive branch as a whole' to 'so we should maybe do the first one' is a hell of a whiplash.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
If you're lucky enough to have adult protective services in your area. Call them. They're overworked and poo poo all over and they still might confine someone to 72 hours of hell, but at least they wont get shot or sent to jail over it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He’s unfortunately written some bad articles about Trump lately which is sad since he’s a legit good reporter

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dammerung posted:

I agree. The correct response to learning that a corrupt authority figure could unilaterally and unjustly seek the actual destruction of their opponents is to stop said figure at all costs, not cower before them and enshrine them as some sort of wrathful stone age deity.

i am not even sure why he wants too. the military/ic isn't going to prop him up.

sexpig by night posted:

yea this wasn't the 'Taibbi says he loves Trump's crimes, actually' take some are making it out but going from 'the president has functionally declared he's above the law, and there's little to do about it other than either roll over and agree or make our highest priority removing him from office and cleaning up the executive branch as a whole' to 'so we should maybe do the first one' is a hell of a whiplash.

yeah, i don't think he is defending trump. but i don't get what groveling toward trump would accomplish. i get that some of these guys have some acceleration leanings but lol. like its not a coup to try to remove the president by legal means. and if he legit tries to go dictator, he will probably get put down fast.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 13, 2019

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1183393005186760709
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1183393008437399552
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1183393010282848256

gently caress YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I really reallllllyyy respect his post-2008 financial crises reporting, OWS, and the financial sector in general.

But his whole “gosh guys the Democrats loving suck can’t they see how Trump is playing beautiful 16th dimensional chess against us?” Shtick is getting loving irritating. Fast. Also now impeachment is bad because...it benefits the intel community...somehow?

When did Taibbi’s brain break so bad? Was it when he returned to rolling stone after his short freelance stint?

I mean to be fair I also super don't love that this route is basically 'the intel community is being held up as heroes'. Like, there are reasons to, say, support a probe of the FISA court and abolish the whole system, and just because Trump also wants that because he's angry he got caught doesn't make that not true, but thanks to how this is going we kinda can't have that talk.

The trump impeachment, I think, is going to have some serious cultural damage beyond the obvious. I think the narrative that benefits both sides most in power is exalting the brave and heroic FBI/CIA soldiers who served as our last line of defense against the foul president Trump and that functionally creates a system where the intel world becomes the fourth, unchecked, branch of power. That's, uh, as the kids say, 'bad poo poo' and I understand the fear a lot of people have of that.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

Trump’s tinpot Twitter threats and cancellation of White House privileges for dolts like Jim Acosta also don’t begin to compare to the danger posed by Facebook, Google, and Twitter – under pressure from the Senate – organizing with groups like the Atlantic Council to fight “fake news” in the name of preventing the “foment of discord.”

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1179787801866493958

fuckin yeah sure

sexpig by night posted:

I mean to be fair I also super don't love that this route is basically 'the intel community is being held up as heroes'. Like, there are reasons to, say, support a probe of the FISA court and abolish the whole system, and just because Trump also wants that because he's angry he got caught doesn't make that not true, but thanks to how this is going we kinda can't have that talk.

The trump impeachment, I think, is going to have some serious cultural damage beyond the obvious. I think the narrative that benefits both sides most in power is exalting the brave and heroic FBI/CIA soldiers who served as our last line of defense against the foul president Trump and that functionally creates a system where the intel world becomes the fourth, unchecked, branch of power. That's, uh, as the kids say, 'bad poo poo' and I understand the fear a lot of people have of that.

Taibbi posted:

He’s guilty, but the issue is how guilty, in comparison to his accusers.

The only reason we can't also have a conversation about how bad and overreaching our intelligence community is, is because of horeshit like Taibbi's putting out here. It's the usual intensely stupid combination of "we can only care about one thing at a time" and arguing about which bad thing is the baddest thing, so that nothing actually gets done.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 13, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

that is very understandible. a modern praetorian guard would be bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

um, you get that's his point, right? Facebook has outsourced their 'fake news' fighting to groups like The Daily Caller and what a shock those guys have said 'well whomst are we to decide a lie (when the republicans do it at least)' and have functionally created a right wing panel of 'truth experts' in their very politically pushed effort to make 'real news' the only source you can have on their site.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

I think the problem a lot of us are facing is that the Republican party has apparently dumped any pretense of respecting the constitution in order to hold on to power. If the Republicans had any respect for anything other than money, Trump would already be out of office.

I think the Democrats are slow playing this because they know the only solution is to win the Senate and WH in 2020. We all want them to rush to impeachment but Mitch McConnell will just kill it in the Senate. The Democrats need this to stretch to at least next fall. The average American had a goldfish brain so unless this is still ongoing next fall, it's all for naught.

If the Republican party had any values they would name a different candidate at the RNC, but they won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Taibbi and Glenn Greenwald are the same guy.