Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mlmp08 posted:

So let’s suppose for the sake of argument that Brown was killed purely because of drug trade.

Then the reasonable statement at this time is that there is zero evidence of his death being related to the trial. Not a declarative that it was not related to the trial with added “watch yourself” tones.

This is the more important part of the tweet in my opinion. I think the "thinly veiled threat" as it's been called here is just a poor command of the English language. But a declarative statement about innocence/guilt or whether third party comments are factual or not is not only incredibly premature, it's a clear conflict of interest. There is no way for the Chief of DPD to know with absolute certainty whether or not his department was involved - the investigation/judicial process around a murder generally takes weeks at a minimum, more often months unless they have a signed confession.

To me this reads more like "Move along citizen, nothing to see here" than it does a threat. And when the victim in this case was a key witness in a murder trial that already had a corrupted investigation process by the same department that just doesn't fly - DPD needs to be more forthcoming, not obfuscating further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
And don't forget he was going to be involved in the civil suit, as well

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

And don't forget he was going to be involved in the civil suit, as well
What does he add to the civil suit?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

McNally posted:

"We encourage those leaders to be mindful because their words may jeapordize (sic) the integrity of the city of Dallas and DPD" reads like being told "be careful what you say, for your own safety" accompanied by a hard stare.

Yeah, it's not a particularly veiled statement. It's "dad sitting on the porch cleaning a shotgun" veiled, except far more credible.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

joat mon posted:

What does he add to the civil suit?

The x - factor :ninja:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The afterparty, allegedly.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Ok lets give the guy the benefit of the doubt for a second and assume he legit didn't mean it to sound like a threat. One of your cops just got convicted for murder followed shortly by one of the star witnesses getting murdered before they could testify in a civil suit that is still pending. If you can't figure out that your statement needs to be 100% not a threat then you are an idiot and useless as a police chief because no sane member of the public you serve should ever trust you.

Its like the bit from Its Always Sunny. We gotta definitely write a song about how we don't murder people. Do not murder people its no good murdering people.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
So basically our options are "too incompetent to not voice a threat publicly" or "too incompetent to wordsmith a statement that doesn't sound like a threat."

I'm seeing a pattern here.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

God drat install police protection devices on your home if you live in the Dallas-FW area.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/woman...gTIL0hwffu2K6Qw

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Grem posted:

God drat install police protection devices on your home if you live in the Dallas-FW area.

Article posted:

While responding officers were searching the area, an officer looked inside the home through a window, and saw a person standing inside.

According to police, the officer pulled out his service weapon after “perceiving a threat.”

On body camera video released by Fort Worth PD, the officer can be heard saying, “Put your hands up. Show me your hands,” before shooting through the window at the person inside.
Officers then went into the home, and found a woman who had been shot by the officer, along with a handgun. Police have not said whether the gun was found near the woman, or found in another part of the home.

Getting on my favorite hobby horse, the difference I perceive between police doctrine and military doctrine is the police put their safety above all else while the military puts mission accomplishment above all else. The police's mission should be to ensure public safety and to enforce the law, not to ensure the officer safety.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Calling the handgun a plant and you can't convince me otherwise. The track record is there.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Seeing how they cant remember to turn off the camera half the time theyre planting drugs anything found by police at a scene shouldbt pass "beyond a reasonable doubt" in court

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

EBB posted:

Calling the handgun a plant and you can't convince me otherwise. The track record is there.

Or they found it in the bedside table in the bedroom far far away from the person.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

bird cooch posted:

Or they found it in the bedside table in the bedroom far far away from the person.

This was my assumption too

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

this seems like a great example of gunpower: that someone had a gun is ventured as a justification for a cop killing them with a gun. this is offensive from an abstract perspective of a right to bear arms, but makes perfect sense if you feel the purpose of that right, and of guns themselves, is to enforce our society's current hierarchy. in that light, it is natural for police (and men and white folks in general) to order, threaten, and kill people within their socially recognized area of control (a "beat," an ethnically privilehed neighborhood, a house, etc).

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 12, 2019

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Doc Hawkins posted:

this seems like a great example of gunpower: that someone had a gun is ventured as a justification for a cop killing them with a gun. this is offensive from an abstract perspective of a right to bear arms, but makes perfect sense if you feel the purpose of that right, and of guns themselves, is to enforce our society's current hierarchy. in that light, it is natural for police (and men and white folks in general) to order, threaten, and kill people within their socially recognized area of control (a "beat," an ethnically privilehed neighborhood, a house, etc).

Your writing style is very evocative of a crazy uncle who ever says things that are correct by accident.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
wow another isolated incident!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

McNally posted:

Your writing style is very evocative of a crazy uncle who ever says things that are correct by accident.

I accept the criticism, and I think I understand it. I've found the idea of "gunpower" very convincing, but it can sound like a Metal Gear Solid monologue.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Proud Christian Mom posted:

wow another isolated incident!

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
In case you didn't think LEOs had a high enough opinion of themselves, there are now Airborne qualified SWAT teams.

https://www.recoilweb.com/airborne-with-the-countrys-first-parachute-qualified-swat-team-148068.html

article posted:

Fast-forward to 2017. A similar situation struck the island of Puerto Rico which, at time of writing, is still a long way off from anything resembling a full recovery. What’s the difference? In a foreign nation, such as Haiti, it’s perfectly acceptable for military units to conduct humanitarian aid, policing actions, and operations to restore and maintain civil order. But both of the latter missions usually require some application of force, up to and including the lethal kind.

Units from the National Guard are often seen rendering medical aid or distributing supplies, but they cannot use force against U.S. citizens. With most experts agreeing that a complete breakdown of law and order can occur within 72 hours or less of a major disaster, being able to rapidly deliver peace officers to a large-scale crisis zone becomes a very high priority very quickly.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Grem posted:

Sadly she failed her duty to lock.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is the more important part of the tweet in my opinion. I think the "thinly veiled threat" as it's been called here is just a poor command of the English language. But a declarative statement about innocence/guilt or whether third party comments are factual or not is not only incredibly premature, it's a clear conflict of interest. There is no way for the Chief of DPD to know with absolute certainty whether or not his department was involved - the investigation/judicial process around a murder generally takes weeks at a minimum, more often months unless they have a signed confession.

To me this reads more like "Move along citizen, nothing to see here" than it does a threat. And when the victim in this case was a key witness in a murder trial that already had a corrupted investigation process by the same department that just doesn't fly - DPD needs to be more forthcoming, not obfuscating further.

"Move along citizen, nothing to see here" is also an implicit threat.

Edit: Remember also this is Texas. Even if the lady was armed to the teeth and carrying an AK at high ready, she'd be perfectly within her legal rights.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 13, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Liquid Communism posted:

"Move along citizen, nothing to see here" is also an implicit threat.

Edit: Remember also this is Texas. Even if the lady was armed to the teeth and carrying an AK at high ready, she'd be perfectly within her legal rights.

I was referencing a tweet about an entirely different incident, the Joshua Brown murder after the Guyger trial. The Fort Worth shooting is 100% bad as described (I haven't seen the video), there is no defense, that dude needs to spend time behind bars.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

https://amp.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article236067328.html?__twitter_impression=true

quote:

In the video, he does not identify himself as an officer.

Is it slowly becoming SOP to be secret squirrel SEAL Team like now for welfare checks

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

EBB posted:

I'm not differentiating any more since the "good guy in a bad department" theory isn't panning out at all. You're either in uniform being part of the problem via silent acceptance or active participation in lovely activities, or not. The sweeping changes needed to policing in the US need to come from an external governing body but pigs will fly before that happens in the current atmosphere.. I'll take it to detainment if we want to discuss further.

I want to see the problems in the system fixed, but I do not understand the objective of your statement. The intended outcomes are not immediately apparent, and I ask that you help me understand what the intended outcomes are.

I interpret the above statement as implying there is no value in separating an 'ethical cop' from a cop that has failed to meet ethical standards (I will refer to as an 'unethical cop'), and that all cops are 'unethical cops'. Is this interpretation accurate?

This suggests that the only way to maintain an ethical position is to not be a member of the police force. The implicit encouragement seems to be 'don't fix it'. If you're a cop, you're clearly an unethical cop, because there are no other options. So if you're an unethical cop that aspires to be an ethical person, you must leave the force. If a person stays to try and change the culture of the police or more responsibly enforce internal administration their actions are doomed to failure and likely to alter that person's ethical aspirations. If seen to its conclusion then, no persons ethical or aspiring to be ethical should remain or join the police force. Does my interpretation follow your intent?

If my interpretation matches your intent and we're in agreement on the expectations that follow, is the intended outcome of this sentiment:
1) that enough cops leave that the system fails,
2) that cops are so clearly unethical that the governed take action,
3) no outcome, no interest in second order effects, or
4) some other outcome?

If 1, is the next less proximate intended outcome of this sentiment:
a) state or federal governments are forced to step in to maintain order, (i.e. DOD forces utilized temporarily until new standards and force are created),
b) system and private entities fill the void, (NGO groups, for profit security, etc),
c) system fails and we realize that we don't need police forces, or
d) some other outcome?

If 2, is the next less proximate intended outcome of this sentiment:
a) state or federal governments establish new regulations,
b) state or federal governments establish a new force (i.e. gendarme) to consolidate the disparate police forces with a series set of policies more effective at matching the country's ethics, or
c) some other outcome?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

You could have the most pure and amazing point in the universe, but I stopped reading, because your writing style is unforgivable.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

mlmp08 posted:

You could have the most pure and amazing point in the universe, but I stopped reading, because your writing style is unforgivable.

My only point is someone please explain to me the next step after "cops suck, gently caress all cops." I don't get it, but a lot of people seem to behave as if it's obvious and the only thing that needs to happen is for cops to gently caress off and everything will be solved.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Well, we could do away with carceral capitalism and better invest in healthcare and education, or we can maintain our empire with more defense and law enforcement spending and cheap labor in prisons

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Communities that policed themselves last got labeled as ghettos and gangs.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nobody is kidding themselves that violent, armed revolution is immediately around the corner. In the meantime I feel relatively powerless to do anything about the uniform culture. Police unions and the thin blue line will always protect their own, so change isn't going to come from within. The judicial and legislative bodies that should have oversight over policing bodies are also complicit in advancing this culture instead of stomping it out, as is their duty. As a civilian I cannot change internal police culture and don't feel that I can elect persons who care to or are able to change police culture. I have no desire to run for office. The best effort I can give is activism, and warning others that the people in uniforms are not there for the safety of the public any more.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

piL posted:

My only point is someone please explain to me the next step after "cops suck, gently caress all cops." I don't get it, but a lot of people seem to behave as if it's obvious and the only thing that needs to happen is for cops to gently caress off and everything will be solved.

I vote for people who should be the ones solving this issue, because I don’t know how. Until they do, gently caress all cops.

Hope this helps.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Well, we could do away with carceral capitalism and better invest in healthcare and education, or we can maintain our empire with more defense and law enforcement spending and cheap labor in prisons

This is a position I understand. It doesn't demand getting rid of all cops, unless I'm misinterpreting it. Moreover, I don't believe encouraging cops whose ethics match that sentiment to leave the force will have any kind of positive effect on the likelihood of its outcome.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EBB posted:

Nobody is kidding themselves that violent, armed revolution is immediately around the corner. In the meantime I feel relatively powerless to do anything about the uniform culture. Police unions and the thin blue line will always protect their own, so change isn't going to come from within. The judicial and legislative bodies that should have oversight over policing bodies are also complicit in advancing this culture instead of stomping it out, as is their duty. As a civilian I cannot change internal police culture and don't feel that I can elect persons who care to or are able to change police culture. I have no desire to run for office. The best effort I can give is activism, and warning others that the people in uniforms are not there for the safety of the public any more.

Learn who your judges and sheriffs were before you vote for them.

Vote for minorites and those that fight for the Rights of minorites.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Learn who your judges and sheriffs were before you vote for them.

Vote for minorities and those that fight for the Rights of minorites.

Just posting to remind people that just because the candidate is of a minority, don't mean they fight for the rights of minorities

Do your homework folks.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

EBB posted:

This makes sense, cynicism taking over because of perceived powerlessness. Thank you for taking the time to explain it because I hadn't thought about it from a focus on communicating sentiment over policy.

What worries me is that without a nuanced discussion that considers objectives and means of obtaining those objectives, it's impossible for an actionable consensuses to emerge and drive public policy. Without objective and policy goals, you cannot hold your elected officials responsible for not voting towards those goals. The best we can hope for then would be for the noise to become large enough that politicians develop policies and offer them to the public to encourage their own elections and I don't see that happening by 2020.

Edit:

colachute posted:

I vote for people who should be the ones solving this issue, because I don’t know how. Until they do, gently caress all cops.

Hope this helps.

It does, thank you. Unfortunately, until there's a discussion on how to fix it (that doesn't necessarily have to come from you), I don't think any of the people you vote for will be able to do anything about it or be held accountable for not doing anything about it.

piL fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 13, 2019

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
We should disarm all police and repeal the 2nd amendment

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
1) No more DoD freebies for police departments

2) Vets get in line with everyone else trying to apply (because I know banning vets from being cops will not happen)

3) BA in some kind of relevant field required

4) National standards/policies for all departments
4a) Federal oversight for all PDs (no idea what this looks like)

5) Bring back residency requirements

6) No individual department may have a SWAT team (to reserve then for real SWAT situations)

7) Make all policing community policing. Get out of the cars and learn people's names

8-999) Other things I haven't thought of

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

#3 is particularly worthless, but overall I like em.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

stealie72 posted:

1) No more DoD freebies for police departments

2) Vets get in line with everyone else trying to apply (because I know banning vets from being cops will not happen)

3) BA in some kind of relevant field required

4) National standards/policies for all departments
4a) Federal oversight for all PDs (no idea what this looks like)

5) Bring back residency requirements

6) No individual department may have a SWAT team (to reserve then for real SWAT situations)

7) Make all policing community policing. Get out of the cars and learn people's names

8-999) Other things I haven't thought of

Cops will never change themselves if they do not get rid of white nationalists.

"You will not replace us," literally their statement that implies they are not going anywhere and are embedded everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Godholio posted:

#3 is particularly worthless, but overall I like em.
I couldn't find a way to politely say "dont give a badge and gun to people who cant write two sentences" so I dont entirely disagree with you.

Wasabi the J posted:

Cops will never change themselves if they do not get rid of white nationalists.

"You will not replace us," literally their statement that implies they are not going anywhere and are embedded everywhere.
#8 for sure.