Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Just delete the Facebook app or turn off notifications and you'll be much happier.

ummel fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1183430456437555201

The Regime and presumably Russia are now on board

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I mostly lurk but just chiming in to say this poo poo is hosed up. Hoping I can find some opportunities to protest here in Houston

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rabble posted:

I want off Trump’s wild ride.

Welcome to Trump World.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rabble posted:

He is the one riding us

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RenaAmerican/status/1183022047829614593?s=20

https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/1183278678270251008?s=20

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SocketWrench posted:

God, I know you're up there, would you give this fucker his heart attack already?

It's no use, He already gave him a cerebral infarction but it went unnoticed

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1183430456437555201

The Regime and presumably Russia are now on board

Well, poo poo. Here we go.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I honestly had no idea Turkey was this evil.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
A couple pages back, but anyone hostile to Taibbis coup point may want to listen to the most recent ep of useful idiots, his podcast with Katie Halper. He talked about a recent article he wrote and drew a distinction between whistleblowers like Snowden or Manning and "whistleblowers" like the current crop that will not be going to jail.

His point was that they have institutional support and legitimacy and are not dangerous or disruptive to power the way Snowden was. In that light, intelligence community "whistleblowers" being the best hope against Trump does seem deeply uncomfortable. Not a. Oup, but definitely not how it should be working

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Isn't it a little early for Trump to pardon a Turkey?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Turkey can't even admit to a genocide from a hundred years ago by a previous regime so they're just making sure generations from now their populace has to deal with the same fun on what remains of the international scene

edit: :laffo:
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1183436502208045056?s=20

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 13, 2019

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
So if Turkey, who the US is apparently going to ??sanction??, but NATO ally, and Russia/the regime get into a conflict, what happens?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

terrorist ambulance posted:

A couple pages back, but anyone hostile to Taibbis coup point may want to listen to the most recent ep of useful idiots, his podcast with Katie Halper. He talked about a recent article he wrote and drew a distinction between whistleblowers like Snowden or Manning and "whistleblowers" like the current crop that will not be going to jail.

His point was that they have institutional support and legitimacy and are not dangerous or disruptive to power the way Snowden was. In that light, intelligence community "whistleblowers" being the best hope against Trump does seem deeply uncomfortable. Not a. Oup, but definitely not how it should be working

Who cares if they don't have the same street cred as Snowden or Manning, they're calling attention to important poo poo.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
So Trump's position is:

1) USA shouldn't be involved in ENDLESS WARS so we're going home
2) We don't owe the Kurds anything, I don't care do u?
3) Turkey is justified in going to war with PKK Terrorists
4) We will destroy the Turkish economy with sanctions for their justified conflict with PKK terrorists

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
5). Her emails

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Also lol if you think any hair salon is charging AOC full price

Why wouldn’t they?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
gently caress yea.

https://twitter.com/hongkongfp/status/1183286608805580800?s=21

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I forget where I read it but I saw an article that said that not having any social media presence actually decreased your ability to land a job. Not sure why though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Apologies if this is primary chat bc Hunter Biden isn't a candidate.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1183379189619146753?s=19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Turkey routinely carries out state sanctioned assassinations on Kurdish politicians within Turkey itself!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

BiggerBoat posted:

I forget where I read it but I saw an article that said that not having any social media presence actually decreased your ability to land a job. Not sure why though.

Probably because people are nosy fuckers and they assume you have something to hide if you have no presence.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Apologies if this is primary chat bc Hunter Biden isn't a candidate.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1183379189619146753?s=19

This will do nothing to stop Trump and company from continuing to harp on it.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BiggerBoat posted:

There is a frighteningly large percentage of people and organizations that don't consider you a real person if you don't have a SMP, even if you're standing right in front of them.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
If you don't have a social media presence the HR person looking over your resume can't dig through your personal life for incriminating/disqualifying material. I had people at my old intern site tell me HR worker friends at other companies I applied to asked them about me under the table since my Facebook was set to private.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I deleted my fb after heavy use for like 10 years, it was actually way easier than I thought. I highly suggest it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I know the pain well, I deleted all my social media a year ago and it's true your friends are pretty worthless and happily forget you exist without it.

Doing the right thing isn't easy at all.

You can organize and talk to friends outside Facebook. At the very least use something like Signal so companies aren't profiting and mining your conversations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The Super-Id posted:

This will do nothing to stop Trump and company from continuing to harp on it.

“He wouldn’t be stepping down if he did nothing wrong!”

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mod sassinator posted:

I know the pain well, I deleted all my social media a year ago and it's true your friends are pretty worthless and happily forget you exist without it.

Doing the right thing isn't easy at all.

You can organize and talk to friends outside Facebook. At the very least use something like Signal so companies aren't profiting and mining your conversations.

Kind of hard when they moved across the country ages ago and will only use WhatsApp.

Just accept they're gone and you probably won't be making new friends to replace them, it's easier in the long run.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You have like five dozen ways to contact people who live long distance at any time. Put a little effort in if it's important to you, even just texting or whatever. Don't just go "WELL I GUESS I LOSE EVERYTHING." I don't use FB/Twitter but I can still keep in contact with my friends (most of who are long distance) via the countless other ways you get in contact. We still play games together or watch stuff together or whatever because the internet makes that utterly trivial these days.

If people don't care enough to respond to you then uh, it probably wasn't a very strong friendship to begin with.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Make sure you run several passes with the social book manager too. I had to re run it several times over the course of a couple hours and it still doesn't catch everything. You will have to manually burn tons of it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1183258867037286400

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Bullfrog posted:

I deleted my fb after heavy use for like 10 years, it was actually way easier than I thought. I highly suggest it.

Ugggh I've been meaning to do this for a long time and I think I'm finally about to pull the trigger

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Was this posted itt? Why is bill barr giving a sermon?

https://twitter.com/libyaliberty/status/1183396030315933696?s=21

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Ugggh I've been meaning to do this for a long time and I think I'm finally about to pull the trigger

deleting facebook is fairly useless if you still use instagram or messenger, and to a (currently lesser, but soon to be equal) extent, whatsapp.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 13, 2019

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Republicans posted:

Who cares if they don't have the same street cred as Snowden or Manning, they're calling attention to important poo poo.

Because in the Taibbi/Greenwald universe, the US Intelligence services are the supreme evil. The only good whistleblowers are the ones who are drawing attention to their abuses. You can see it in how quickly "It's good that the intelligence services are blowing the whistle on Trump's crimes and corruption" gets tankiephoned into "Oh, so you think the intelligence services are good now?!"

CIA/FBI/NSA and their apologists can all go get hosed, and so can anyone parroting the GOP's "not a real whistleblower" nonsense from the left.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I didn't delete my Facebook profile, but a year and a half ago I deleted the app from my phone, closed the always open tab, and stopped using it except only on the occasion it was needed for organizing something. It has been hugely beneficial to mental health and I don't miss anything about it.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Rabble posted:

Same. Sometimes I think about wilfully sticking my head in the sand and following my peers into meaningless consumer debt instead of financial solvency and anxiety.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

Lifelong government employees risking their careers to report wrongdoing through the proper channels is exactly how it should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

No one is mentioning Discord as an alternative to Facebook/Instagram/etc. to keep on touch with people or am I missing something?