Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Noita: Please Be Careful Of Projectile Modifiers

https://i.imgur.com/V5up1AB.mp4

gently caress you, Dropper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
New sport: bowling for hiisi

https://i.imgur.com/RKeMvNM.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/zaWH3uI.mp4

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Replay doesn't show the inventory menu, I guess, but this is the difference between putting one more chainsaw in that empty slot. go figure.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 13, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I found my first nuke

I'm really tempted to shoot it as is, but I know that's a real bad idea. I don't know what nuke does, but I've heard people talk about it in the thread a bunch, and the description is...scary. Is fire immunity enough, or should I wait for explosion immunity?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

I found my first nuke

I'm really tempted to shoot it as is, but I know that's a real bad idea. I don't know what nuke does, but I've heard people talk about it in the thread a bunch, and the description is...scary. Is fire immunity enough, or should I wait for explosion immunity?

For best results you should get Glass Cannon

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fire immunity only protects you from fire, the question is can you survive... at least 250 actual explosion damage I think

the radius is really really big

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the bigger issue is that that wand has a 20% chance of shooting nukes above and below you at the same time, which seems less than ideal

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Personally Assured Destruction doctrine

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Venuz Patrol posted:

the bigger issue is that that wand has a 20% chance of shooting nukes above and below you at the same time, which seems less than ideal

Unfortunately a worm dug down and pissed off the gods, so after rushing through the next two areas, i decided to try using the nuke against god. It was going pretty well, and i managed to avoid blowing myself up for the first few nukes. The ceiling of the upgrade area collapsed, which I'd never seen before, and I thought I was fine. Then,

https://i.imgur.com/ISW3L09.mp4

In retrospect, while I was panicking and removed the tri shot I shoulda put the shield on the nuke wand, but oh well.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I installed the mods for random starter wands, more variety in level 1 wands and restoring health from eating corpses and the game is like 80 percent more fun now, for me. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is getting tired of slogging through the mines with the base wands/throwing the tablet at everything.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i always take freeze field and it is always a mistake

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Won my first straight-dive run, but I think I'll put the game down until substantive changes or some of the mod ideas get cored.

-Perk Lotto plus a little luck into just about every immunity is great, especially if you get:

-Lightening Immunity + 4 Cast -> 4 Lightning Bolt Spell wand. Melted just about anything and the stun was a very good effect vs stuff it needed more shots against. Backed up by a 4-stacked auto-cast green-bolt (whatever it's called) wand I didn't need anything else.

-gently caress worms wrecking the temple. Had to deal with two liches on the way down due to no fault of my own. It's complete bullshit to have a potentially run-ending enemy spawn in like that when you had no hand in it. Luckily I already had my wands set-up by that point but I've seen worms in the mines as well. Not a fan of the mechanic, wouldn't mind them simply never being able to harm the temple at all.

-Final boss was, funnily enough, far less stressful than the two liches.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 14, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

GulagDolls posted:

i always take freeze field and it is always a mistake

Yeah, they should really make small (1-3 pixel) blobs of frozen liquid fall to the floor instead of hanging in space and tripping you up

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Me whenever I come within a screen of anything flammable

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Nothing worse than seeing a perk selection of low gravity, electricity, and freeze field.

I still take electricity anyway and die touching a freeze canister in the base every time.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

electricity and oil trail is not a good combo...not good...at all....

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Exploring the coal mines and I see a gigantic loving explosion and chunks of holy temple falling down just ahead of me. Fly down to the bottom and find this:

I just took glass cannon as my perk.

edit: Yeah I just fired it and died. Totally worth it. Wish I'd enabled deathgifs.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So it turns out if you get the sinewave spell modifier that makes your spell shoot 2x faster and put it on a lightning bolt the lightning bolt will get 2x the range, but it doesn't fly sine wave properly so it just fires about 30 degrees lower than where your mouse cursor is, which is just the right angle to vaporize your legs if you forget to compensate and aim your shot normally.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

What's the deal with the dark place? At the left of the first level. Anything there aside from the orb and stupid drowning deaths?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

lofi posted:

What's the deal with the dark place? At the left of the first level. Anything there aside from the orb and stupid drowning deaths?

2 guaranteed max health ups, 1 guaranteed health refill, and on the other side is a continuation of the mines area filled with pools of random alchemical liquids

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lofi posted:

You'll be able to see the tunnels in the dark if you're tripping on worm blood

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Sorta related to that, how long does the effect from worm blood last?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Greader posted:

Sorta related to that, how long does the effect from worm blood last?

Seems like a couple minutes. if you want to put some in a bottle you can gently toss the bottle into the pool by holding the cursor really close to your character and clicking and it'll drain into the flask

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Water you pour into worm blood will sink into it, then you can scoop the blood off the top.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

You'll be able to see the tunnels in the dark if you're tripping on worm blood

A torch will light up a spot too.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Shyrka posted:

Nothing worse than seeing a perk selection of low gravity, electricity, and freeze field.
But low gravity is good?

Literally infinite jetpack since it recharges faster than you drop

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i would say low gravity is good in the aggregate but it makes dodging hiisi snipers a real pain in the rear end

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ive learned to love worm attraction

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Venuz Patrol posted:

i would say low gravity is good in the aggregate but it makes dodging hiisi snipers a real pain in the rear end

Definitely true by default but if you have a rapid-fire weapon with a little knockback (or the concentrated spells perk) you can have more air control with low-grav than without . I feel like right now that's only really valuable in the ice caves (because it's unique with the wide-open spaces and enemies with fast, tracking projectile attacks) but that's probably also the area where I die the most for those exact reasons, so it's a priority pick for me if I see it early. Not so much after zone 3.

edit: also now that I'm more consistently progressing past zone 4 I'm even more convinced that the game up to that point needs some balance passes. Once you get to the Jungle it's almost impossible not to have fun -- you're finding batshit crazy wands, enemies are destructive and powerful but so are you, you probably have a few cool perks, and you just get to really engage with and enjoy all the aspects of the game. But zone 4 especially is a big difficulty spike and sometimes it feels like an RNG crapshoot as to whether or not your power has scaled well enough to keep up with the difficulty.

I think less enemy density there would help a lot; you don't get to take advantage of in-fighting when you're facing down all Hisii and while it's fun to face off with the big horned jetpack guys it's way less fun when they have like 5 little jetpack guys accompanying them. Generally the tough enemy spawns in the game pose a satisfying challenge; I love trying to lure the fire elemental guys in the Mines into a divot so I can pour water into it, but in Hisii Base I often just find myself feeling hosed and overwhelmed and not really in a good way

goferchan fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 14, 2019

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So I just realised that the standard bomb wand is a good early game last resort option if the rng screwed you a bit. Yeah the mana recharges slowly and only has a single slot but if you put a basic spark bolt or bounce ball in there it turns into a pretty drat amazing machine gun that makes the coal mines easier to manage. Impressive early game dps.

I'm tempted to get into modding but for now I'm trying to get through with vanilla gameplay and I've yet to reliably get into the ice level.

Also the one time I created a decent safe shotgun wand I then ran into a spell I never found before and immediately killed myself with it. The "heavy" in "heavy explosive fire bolt" isn't just hint regarding its strength!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
made it to the vault for the first time, is the jump in difficulty there always so big or did i get hosed by rng? first room is 5 guys , half of them with shields, who can tank multiple large firebolts or lightning bolts

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I would go as far as to say that vault might be the hardest floor.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

If you ever get the opportunity I highly recommend throwing Homing, Fireball Thrower, and Black Hole in a wand. Completely negates the only problem with Homing.

Add some multicast mods for extra joy.

Disclaimer: I already had explosion and fire immunity when I discovered this combination. The worms weren't happy about it, but they do not have explosion immunity.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Brasseye posted:

I installed the mods for random starter wands, more variety in level 1 wands and restoring health from eating corpses and the game is like 80 percent more fun now, for me. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is getting tired of slogging through the mines with the base wands/throwing the tablet at everything.

Where can I find this?

Edit:
Found it. It was on a Github page:
https://github.com/nuke-makes-games/noita_mods

Afriscipio fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 14, 2019

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

nightwisher posted:

And most importantly:
- Boobs. For your noita.
Glad to see the mod scene is off to its usual promising start

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I got dunked into polymorph juice, turned into a uncontrollable dragon worm thing and burrowed down until i met God.
He was Angry

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

I got dunked into polymorph juice, turned into a uncontrollable dragon worm thing and burrowed down until i met God.
He was Angry

For future reference, instead of jumping around, the controls correspond to steering and acceleration.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Can someone give me a rundown of how setting up the effects on wands, uhhhhhhhh, works? I thought I was starting to get it, but then I go and configure a wand with a few things and it 100% doesn't do what I expect, and I'm kinda baffled. Like I've got a spell that triggers another spell after a timer, and then another of that, and then a splitter that casts two spells, and a couple more of the timers, and in some configurations it makes sense, but in others, it seems like it just stops after the first spell?

Sincerely,
Confounded Under Mines

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

FFT posted:

For future reference, instead of jumping around, the controls correspond to steering and acceleration.

Also you can't "accelerate" your worm if you're not *in* terrain. So if you're trying to go up with your worm, it'll only dig/accelerate upwards when you're burrowing through terrain. If you hit some open space, gravity takes over and your worm falls down again. I tried climbing my way back up once as a worm but a big ole pit of nothingness between the height levels meant I couldn't jump my worm up far enough before the polymorph expired :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

Can someone give me a rundown of how setting up the effects on wands, uhhhhhhhh, works? I thought I was starting to get it, but then I go and configure a wand with a few things and it 100% doesn't do what I expect, and I'm kinda baffled. Like I've got a spell that triggers another spell after a timer, and then another of that, and then a splitter that casts two spells, and a couple more of the timers, and in some configurations it makes sense, but in others, it seems like it just stops after the first spell?

Sincerely,
Confounded Under Mines

it would be great if eventually the UI gets updated to reflect what the output of a wand will actually be, rather than forcing us to mess around with ordering modifiers and effects and spells and then casting it and hoping it works like we think it does.

they could probably do this cleverly with some kind of highlighting or shading scheme to show which spells which effects apply to or something along those lines