Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
https://twitter.com/GilbertDeltrez/status/1183197771823833088?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So was he on the phone with Ethan?

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"
spending time with your family is for soy boy beta cucks!!!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

some families are easier to spend time with than others, but that first picture i mean come on

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

So was he on the phone with Ethan?

Probably more like he was watching EVS' YouTube.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Probably more like he was watching EVS' YouTube.

I understood that. I was just trying to be silly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Phoning in grandma’s 80th to own the libs

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

For whatever reason Dan Slott's newest flame war/trolling attempt flooded my twitter, and made me realize how truly stupid that man is. Was his work for Marvel that popular? Because it doesn't seem that wit and charm were what secured his position in the Marvel offices...

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
His work on She Hulk, especially his first run, was amazing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Putrid Grin posted:

For whatever reason Dan Slott's newest flame war/trolling attempt flooded my twitter, and made me realize how truly stupid that man is. Was his work for Marvel that popular? Because it doesn't seem that wit and charm were what secured his position in the Marvel offices...

Everyone more competent than him quit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what dumb thing did dan say this time

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

what dumb thing did dan say this time

Skimming his Twitter very briefly it looks like he didn't like Joker?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Soonmot posted:

His work on She Hulk, especially his first run, was amazing.

:hai: It might be the only thing I've read of his that I really liked, but drat is it good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I understood that. I was just trying to be silly.

And that's more than fair, I was just vaguely horrified at the notion of 'naw I won't hang out with Mee Maw on possibly her last birthday ever instead what does Ethan have to say about Brie Larson, I hope that she's bad.'

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, which is all fun and good. Haven't seen the movie myself, but it seems to be polarizing. Just the way he goes about fanning the flames has no internal logic to it.
Instead of saying he didnt like the movie, he declares that the movie is bad, following up with the good old nugget of "all opinions are valid so you cant criticize me for it", which then leads to "a lot of people are responding to my tweets therefore my opinions are worthwhile", so "my opinion is more valid than other peoples opinions".
Dude is obviously trolling but he does it in such an inelegant way it upset me. And I am pretty dumb about being upset about it and then posting about it on the internets.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Putrid Grin posted:

Dan Slott is an undeniably talented comedy writer who got in well over his head on his Spider-Man work. Even then, though, BSS seems to be more down on him than a lot of other online comics hangouts are.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wanderer posted:

Dan Slott is an undeniably talented comedy writer who got in well over his head on his Spider-Man work. Even then, though, BSS seems to be more down on him than a lot of other online comics hangouts are.

The guy wrote She-Hulk, a Human Torch/Spider-man crossover in 2003, a kinda funny Squirrel Girl one-shot, and a pretty good Batman villain miniseries. Then he hosed raw sewage onto the page for over a decade.

I don't think he went in over his head, I think he's just run out of his few good ideas entirely and has been running on fumes and ego since.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

howe_sam posted:

Well, I didn't like Joker. It's a strong movie with a fantastic central performance, but I don't like it and honestly I'd be a little worried about anyone who did. It's to be appreciated, not liked.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think a lot of people overlook -- especially with 'comedy' in comics -- the importance of artists for conveying stuff. Not to say that Slott hasn't worked with a ton of talented artists on his endless Spider-Man run: he did, and I hope they got paid well to draw all those dumb stories.

But that Spider-Man/Human Torch thing was drawn by Ty Templeton (who has both drawn and written a lot of funny comics over the decades) and the lion's share of the 'good' She-Hulk issues were by Bobillo and Pelletier, two other expressive artists who are good at comedy). I think that helps a lot. Superior Foes of Spider-Man is another good example, where I feel like the majority of the good feelings about that book are less because Nick Spencer is hilarious and more that Steve Lieber is a very talented artist with good comedic chops.

I know writing-and-art combine to form a reading experience isn't a new thing, but anyone who has watched a supremely talented comedian/sitcom actor in an aggressively mediocre scripted show or film knows that jokes will land better if Ted Danson or Julia Louis Dreyfuss or John Goodman or Amy Poehler or Terry Crews are delivering it vs. a replacement level pilot season actor.

There are obviously limits to how much a great performer can improve a mediocre script, but to use an empirical example, I don't think it's a coincidence that despite the art teams being all over the place for the full run of Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League _______, 90% of the funniest/most memorable/most cited sequences are in issues drawn by Kevin Maguire or Adam Hughes. Both artists are great at body language, facial expressions, 'timing', etc. They make solid jokes incredible, and elevate mediocre jokes to very good. Not many other people in the parade of JL* artists could do the same.

Anyway, my point is more that Dan Slott is a mediocre-to-good sitcom writer and a very bad Epic Serious Adventure writer, but the latter is where the money is so he's adapted accordingly.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Putrid Grin posted:

Yeah, which is all fun and good. Haven't seen the movie myself, but it seems to be polarizing. Just the way he goes about fanning the flames has no internal logic to it.
Instead of saying he didnt like the movie, he declares that the movie is bad, following up with the good old nugget of "all opinions are valid so you cant criticize me for it", which then leads to "a lot of people are responding to my tweets therefore my opinions are worthwhile", so "my opinion is more valid than other peoples opinions".
Dude is obviously trolling but he does it in such an inelegant way it upset me. And I am pretty dumb about being upset about it and then posting about it on the internets.
"Slott is disliking Joker in the wrong way therefore lets talk about how he's a bad" does not belong in this thread

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fangz posted:

"Slott is disliking Joker in the wrong way therefore lets talk about how he's a bad" does not belong in this thread

Yeah he's done plenty of actually lovely things we could talk about instead, like all the weird rape poo poo in his Spider-Man run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah and consent went out the window when Ock was in Peter's body.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I just don't want this thread to turn into another lovely mock thread.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Fangz posted:

Yeah sorry. As soon as I started posting I realized that this might not be the best place for my infantile venting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

People can be sympathetic towards one subject, but not others. It's not really uncommon. Mental health and disability are still big blind spots for a lot of people, even particularly thoughtful ones.

It's also not the Seijic book, it's Kami Garcia

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Comicsgaters aren't the brightest, are they?

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1183814497137516549?s=19

Edit: oh god TUG wasn't joking about trying to trademark Renfamous' nickname.

https://twitter.com/Qlippot/status/1183921341302542336?s=19

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 15, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
More TUG related BS.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1184896314317905920?s=19

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hahaha

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

"I never thought the Leopard would claw my face off" :hotpickle:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tug complaining about other gators being lovely is some major pot calling the kettle black

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1185225997219717121?s=21

Please, please let this lead into TUG hiring Ty Beard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TheHan posted:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1185225997219717121?s=21

Please, please let this lead into TUG hiring Ty Beard.

Remember how he bitched and moaned about getting doxxed (even though he wasn't, he accidentally doxxed himself). His real name and address are part of the trademark application.

Fake edit: there's a phone number listed, and no attorney of record.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I’m willing to bet he didn’t know trademark registrations were publicly available information.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Its gonna be really funny if he actually tries to enforce his trademark.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He actually shelled out some money for this.

https://twitter.com/RulesLawStudent/status/1185225396717064192?s=19

Because when he tried to buy Renfamous.com he set up a crowd fund, Renfamous found out and bought it out from under him.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

TheHan posted:

I’m willing to bet he didn’t know trademark registrations were publicly available information.

He's probably going to claim doxxing for anyone that links the publicly available application.

TBF this is probably a huge nothing-burger though. "Hey I have priority of use see" and then the USPTO is like "I mean fine gtfo."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sadly perjury doesn't get enforced too much, but it is enjoyable to watch a moron waste money.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Skwirl posted:

He actually shelled out some money for this.

https://twitter.com/RulesLawStudent/status/1185225396717064192?s=19

Because when he tried to buy Renfamous.com he set up a crowd fund, Renfamous found out and bought it out from under him.

But see it was all part of his grand design:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1185256702326792193?s=21

It could cost almost 20 dollars to buy a promoted tweet, but spending $300 to annoy a handful of people is FREE

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I wish i had 300 bucks laying around to own the libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

I wish i had 300 bucks laying around to own the libs

Perhaps and IndieGoGo saying you need money to own the libs.

Wait, that might work.