Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I think the mentally ill abusive mother thing was true. When he’s washing her in the bath she says nonchalantly, “I thought you had to be funny to be a comedian,” which is a devastating burn and not something a loving mother would say to her mentally ill son.

I thought overall the film was okay. Very depressing and I hated the score. Set design, grading etc was really nice and Phoenix player a fantastic part. Not really sure why it’s seemingly either getting 5 or 1 stars a lot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

It's possible the mom was gaslighted on the past and acquired mental illness later, at least partially as a result of that trauma. Nothing's really in stone about her. Even your example could be more out of parental callous bluntness in a vacuum.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
if she was just legit crazy I think she’d be telling this story to anyone who’d listen, not keeping it a secret forever. Plus I found it odd that she claimed she had to “sign some papers,” that’s a weird thing to just come up with on your own.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
I do like how the movie keeps both options open, in a way - in Joker fashion. Arthur could be Wayne's son, he could be adopted normally, or she might have adopted him as a substitute after having to have an abortion. I think it's leaning towards him being Wayne's son. But for those saying that it's unlikely that a single woman could adopt, that's true, but she might not have been single at the time she adopted.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Vir posted:

I do like how the movie keeps both options open, in a way - in Joker fashion. Arthur could be Wayne's son, he could be adopted normally, or she might have adopted him as a substitute after having to have an abortion. I think it's leaning towards him being Wayne's son. But for those saying that it's unlikely that a single woman could adopt, that's true, but she might not have been single at the time she adopted.

I just think it’s weird that social services do not take her adopted son away from her the moment he is abused. Don’t adoption agencies keep track of the kids to see how they are settling?

Finding him beaten up from a partner of hers would be a giant red flag for me (I guess you could reply that this is more evidence for Gotham being a shithole).

Eararaldor fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 14, 2019

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

like he thinks himself some sort of warrior poet speaking unpleasant truths to power and society for the type of dumbass lowest common demoniator comedy where you show a fat guy in a speedo and somebody quips "OK, that's just wrong".

In your rant about Todd Philips being bad and unfunny, you stole this line, almost word by word, from this review of the movie ("Todd Phillips’s comedic repertoire is a bunch of guys seeing a fat man in a speedo and exclaiming, “Okay, that’s just wrong!”"). You added words to make it less funny and more obvious. Good job, pimp.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 13, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Vir posted:

I was thinking the same as Eararaldor (who might have posted a spoiler so I don't wanna quote), how was possible that she, a woman who was considered mentally ill, with a probable history of allowing her partner to abuse her son, and a huge media poo poo storm around her case, was allowed to keep her adopted son?

I dunno if poo poo was different in the 80's, but even in my country the kid would be taken away and put in an orphanage until someone adopts -I think we don't have foster homes- I'm gonna stick to the theory that Thomas was an absolute rich rear end and was going puppet master over everything just to hide their relationship.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Desperado Bones posted:

I was thinking the same as Eararaldor (who might have posted a spoiler so I don't wanna quote), how was possible that she, a woman who was considered mentally ill, with a probable history of allowing her partner to abuse her son, and a huge media poo poo storm around her case, was allowed to keep her adopted son?

I dunno if poo poo was different in the 80's, but even in my country the kid would be taken away and put in an orphanage until someone adopts -I think we don't have foster homes- I'm gonna stick to the theory that Thomas was an absolute rich rear end and was going puppet master over everything just to hide their relationship.

The movie takes place in the 80s (Excalibur is on the theater marquee in one shot and that was released in 81) and Arthur is said to be in his 30s so he would’ve been a child during the 60s/70s.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Pedro De Heredia posted:

In your rant about Todd Philips being bad and unfunny, you stole this line, almost word by word, from this review of the movie ("Todd Phillips’s comedic repertoire is a bunch of guys seeing a fat man in a speedo and exclaiming, “Okay, that’s just wrong!”"). You added words to make it less funny and more obvious. Good job, pimp.

Lmfao get his loving rear end dude. Kill him, seriously

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Lmfao get his loving rear end dude. Kill him, seriously

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of plagiarists, Shia LaBeouf would make a pretty good Joker.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I feel that Joker's mom was just crazy. I understand guy could have gaslit her, but surely she has family and friends who would tell her, "no your son is not adopted." I was with you in the hospital.I'd be far more willing to believe it if he said "We never had sex, you just had a one night stand with some random guy."

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I also want to note that if his relationship with Sophie was imagined that means he imagined her expressing happiness at the death of the Wayne employees, which may betray his claims later that he’s apolitical.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
This was a better than average student film

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

ruddiger posted:

The movie takes place in the 80s (Excalibur is on the theater marquee in one shot and that was released in 81) and Arthur is said to be in his 30s so he would’ve been a child during the 60s/70s.

:lol: oops! My bad! Anyway, I still stand for my big question of how did that happened.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It owns that the last movie Thomas Wayne ever saw was Zorro, the Gay Blade

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Terror Sweat posted:

I hope that they still left the theater not because of the riots but because Bruce was scared

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
movie bad, having some parts may or may boy be. T real prevents tight movie from saying anything which this movie does not

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

I feel that Joker's mom was just crazy. I understand guy could have gaslit her, but surely she has family and friends who would tell her, "no your son is not adopted." I was with you in the hospital.I'd be far more willing to believe it if he said "We never had sex, you just had a one night stand with some random guy."

I don’t think it’s a stretch to imagine that Joker’s mom was a remarkably isolated person.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Terror Sweat posted:

:same:

I almost started laughing when I saw that. To be fair to "Zorro, the Gay Blade," though, it's probably the best Zorro movie not starring Tyrone Power and Basil Rathbone.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Farg posted:

movie bad, having some parts may or may boy be. T real prevents tight movie from saying anything which this movie does not

huh

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

:same:

I almost started laughing when I saw that. To be fair to "Zorro, the Gay Blade," though, it's probably the best Zorro movie not starring Tyrone Power and Basil Rathbone.

You didn’t like the Banderas ones?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

ruddiger posted:

You didn’t like the Banderas ones?

Nope.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

beanieson posted:

if she was just legit crazy I think she’d be telling this story to anyone who’d listen, not keeping it a secret forever. Plus I found it odd that she claimed she had to “sign some papers,” that’s a weird thing to just come up with on your own.

She was obsessed with not rocking the boat with Wayne.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It’s canonical the movie the Waynes saw was zorro, but the choices get pretty thin now that Batman isn’t set in the 30s

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s canonical the movie the Waynes saw was zorro, but the choices get pretty thin now that Batman isn’t set in the 30s

Raiders of the lost Ark, Evil Dead, Escape from NY, Thief & Stripes all came out in 1981 🤷🏻‍♂️

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

JBP posted:

She was obsessed with not rocking the boat with Wayne.

Because he rocked her boat?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
If the new Batman, Robert Pattinson, was born in the late 80s then it’s entirely possible the movie he saw with his parents the night they died was the Mask of Zorro

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

beanieson posted:

Raiders of the lost Ark, Evil Dead, Escape from NY, Thief & Stripes all came out in 1981 🤷🏻‍♂️

he meant the choices get thin for Zorro movies. Not like, all movies

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

he meant the choices get thin for Zorro movies. Not like, all movies

so in the comics they were killed after seeing Zorro?

My bad lol

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

beanieson posted:

so in the comics they were killed after seeing Zorro?

My bad lol

Basically for the last 40 years or so, yeah. In comics and other media they’re typically portrayed as going to see a Zorro movie the night they’re murdered. The idea being that consciously or subconsciously Batman is inspired by another guy who dresses in all black and wears a mask.

Hence why they’re seeing Zorro, The Gay Blade in Joker as that would have been the newest Zorro movie at the time the movie is set

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Lmao the screenwriting for this movie was such a loving Trainwreck. They "both sides" on capitalism bad vs revolting against capitalism that's killing you. But the cinematography clearly pointed to the latter.

It also makes no sense for a prequel to a Batman story. After the end of the movie, Gotham won't be a poo poo hole filled with crime and the Wayne's assets wouldn't be Bruce's anymore. if people were willing to murder police, they'd guillotine the more of the rich than Thomas

It's a shame that such good acting and solid cinematography were attached to this cluster gently caress.

Edit: and don't get me started on the typical Hollywood depiction of "the mentally ill are bad"

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Lmao the screenwriting for this movie was such a loving Trainwreck. They "both sides" on capitalism bad vs revolting against capitalism that's killing you. But the cinematography clearly pointed to the latter.

It also makes no sense for a prequel to a Batman story. After the end of the movie, Gotham won't be a poo poo hole filled with crime and the Wayne's assets wouldn't be Bruce's anymore. if people were willing to murder police, they'd guillotine the more of the rich than Thomas

It's a shame that such good acting and solid cinematography were attached to this cluster gently caress.

Edit: and don't get me started on the typical Hollywood depiction of "the mentally ill are bad"

The degree of distance by which you've missed the point is exhausting to even fathom let alone address in any way at all. Hopefully later in life you will be less confused.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

The degree of distance by which you've missed the point is exhausting to even fathom let alone address in any way at all. Hopefully later in life you will be less confused.

Yesss. This is the nonsense, nonthinking dismissal I come to CD to see. Please tell me more about how I missed the point of a horribly put together screenplay.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Nasgate posted:

Yesss. This is the nonsense, nonthinking dismissal I come to CD to see. Please tell me more about how I missed the point of a horribly put together screenplay.

I personally come for the posters who drop a hot opinion into a thread and then insult the entire sub when someone says it stinks.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The movie is pretty consistent about the wealthy constantly taking a massive poo poo on the poor. You have Thomas Wayne running for mayor because he's a successful "job creator" who will teach the poor clowns who are doing nothing with their lives how to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. The wealthy are completely insulated from the shittiness of Gotham, and in Wayne's fundraiser they are in an opulent hall laughing at a movie about a poor person. Hell, Murray Franklin (a successful comic with a TV show) decides to grab a video of a struggling comic so he can laugh at him on TV.

It doesn't matter if Arthur himself is apolitical, or if he killed the bankers in self-defense. The event is an example of how people will take an event and project a narrative on it. In Thomas Wayne's case, it's just another example of how ungrateful Gotham's poor are. For the people struggling in Gotham, it's an example of someone fighting back against a failing system. All Arthur cares about is that he finally feels like he exists.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Finally saw that movie everyone kept saying this was based on, and I gotta say y'all are right about the similarities. It was almost a remake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nasgate posted:

They "both sides" on capitalism bad vs revolting against capitalism that's killing you.

How?

Nasgate posted:

Do... Do you think all riots automatically mean permanent societal change? Either:

a) The riots would've peaked and burned themselves out. Everyone goes home and gives each other a pat on the back for a job well done. Maybe whoever's elected mayor makes some noises about listening to the concerns of the rioters and things get just better enough (ie the piles of waste and super rats are shovelled away) to prevent anything further from happening.

or

b) The military rolls in and the instigators (including Mr J) would've been made an example of. The city would've been in lockdown for a while and the Wayne assets would've been well guarded.

stev fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 14, 2019