Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No, it was just an attempt to infuse some nonsensical Internet humor into their marketing campaign, only it backfired spectacularly.

I won't stop eating Bicky burgers though, just had one last Thursday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Beachcomber posted:

Helith posted:

You do not, under any circumstances, gotta “hand* it to the Belgians”.

*Editor's Note: Hand here is a cheeky humour noir reference to the Congo Free State, better known as the Belgian Congo (hence the reference to Belgium whose appearence in the forum discussion most likely prompted this bon mot.) The Belgian Congo was notorious for beong a personal fiefdom and source of mining riches for the Belgian King and using harsh punishment to ensure the locals kept up their mining quotas. The most severe and infamous of which was the cutting off of hands by the colonial overseer as punishment for not being a productive enough worker. The "joke" therefore lies in the drawing of a punny connection between the history of Belgian atrocities and the phrase "You gotta hand it to them" meaning the begrudging recognition of worth or achievement despite personal biases.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Phlegmish posted:

No, it was just an attempt to infuse some nonsensical Internet humor into their marketing campaign, only it backfired spectacularly.

I won't stop eating Bicky burgers though, just had one last Thursday

gently caress I just got your name. Always assumed it was a play on phlegm, the mucus, not the mucusy people.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

It's like a sketch comedy idea that got mixed up in a marketing pitch and no one knew the difference.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
[/quote]

ah i get it now

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

pentyne posted:

It's like a sketch comedy idea that got mixed up in a marketing pitch and no one knew the difference.

They could have gone the Roy Lichenstein route and featured a close-up of a crying girl with the text “Why didn’t I give him... a real Bicky...?”:qq: No violence needed.

Hire me, PR bureaus.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
[/quote]

:downs:

More people need to know about Belgium, though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Beachcomber posted:

More people need to know about Belgium, though.

I read King Leopold's Ghost recently and OH BOY that didn't lead to happy dreams.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with a failed marketing campaign, but yeah, that gently caress still has statues in Belgium. Fortunately, they regularly get doused in red paint or lose a hand.

Belgium itself should pay more attention to this chapter of its history, but one of the reasons it remains underhighlighted (other than the obvious one of minimizing responsibility) is that they generally don't glorify or identify with their colonial past at all, the way many Brits do. Many Belgians barely identify with modern-day Belgium, and if they ever think about it at all they're usually outright negatively disposed towards what it was in the 19th century, namely an archetypical bourgeois state that brutally oppressed the working class and anything that stood in the way of French-speaking supremacism. Not making excuses, it doesn't mean we have the right to disassociate ourselves from those crimes and we need to get rid of those statues and monuments yesterday, but that's one of the psychological/sociological mechanisms involved.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with a failed marketing campaign, but yeah, that gently caress still has statues in Belgium. Fortunately, they regularly get doused in red paint or lose a hand.

Belgium itself should pay more attention to this chapter of its history, but one of the reasons it remains underhighlighted (other than the obvious one of minimizing responsibility) is that they generally don't glorify or identify with their colonial past at all, the way many Brits do. Many Belgians barely identify with modern-day Belgium, and if they ever think about it at all they're usually outright negatively disposed towards what it was in the 19th century, namely an archetypical bourgeois state that brutally oppressed the working class and anything that stood in the way of French-speaking supremacism. Not making excuses, it doesn't mean we have the right to disassociate ourselves from those crimes and we need to get rid of those statues and monuments yesterday, but that's one of the psychological/sociological mechanisms involved.

That makes a lot of sense. Frankly our colonial past is underhighlighted too. Hardly anyone here knows about the various atrocities committed by the British imperial state and it's hosed up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

HopperUK posted:

That makes a lot of sense. Frankly our colonial past is underhighlighted too. Hardly anyone here knows about the various atrocities committed by the British imperial state and it's hosed up.

You guys can’t really move past as long as Churchill is still treated as a hero.

We Americans got through it by just never stopping our imperialism.

Big brain move

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mierenneuker posted:

They could have gone the Roy Lichenstein route and featured a close-up of a crying girl with the text “Why didn’t I give him... a real Bicky...?”:qq: No violence needed.

Hire me, PR bureaus.

Sorry, PR has taken the Roy Lichtenstein route and taken your work, made minor alterations, gave you dick all credit, then made tons of money off it while you languish in poverty.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

GrandpaPants posted:

Sorry, PR has taken the Roy Lichtenstein route and taken your work, made minor alterations, gave you dick all credit, then made tons of money off it while you languish in poverty.

Awfully rude that they didn’t even pay me in exposure.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

They should have used the meme pic of Batman slapping Robin instead.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

CharlestheHammer posted:

You guys can’t really move past as long as Churchill is still treated as a hero.

We Americans got through it by just never stopping our imperialism.

Big brain move

I hope I live to see people in my country stop worshipping Churchill and recognize what a truly evil gently caress he was and I'm an American.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He wasn't that bad for the time compared to other world leaders

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

please don't grade world leaders on a curve

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdamHSays/status/1182638528016113665

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

please don't grade world leaders on a curve

If we don't, we end up with everyone scoring 0's or worse

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s about where they should be. Though even for his time Winston was pretty bad

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

King of Foolians posted:

They should have used the meme pic of Batman slapping Robin instead.

I thought it might have been based on that but the poses are different.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HopperUK posted:

That's because in the 1950s-1970s, the British realized that they'd been incredibly evil in the past, and put together a plan known as Operation Legacy. Fully backed by the British government, they made reparations destroyed all the evidence they could get their hands on.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tunicate posted:

That's because in the 1950s-1970s, the British realized that they'd been incredibly evil in the past, and put together a plan known as Operation Legacy. Fully backed by the British government, they made reparations destroyed all the evidence they could get their hands on.

I had to look this up, because I thought you were loving with us.

...Nope. Understated, if anything.

:eng99:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

Holy moly, I'd missed this, wooph :psyduck:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
gently caress, you read about some things and go "that sounds like an episode of The X-Files or something". Like Operation Paperclip, which I literally learned about from The X-Files.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I didn't even know about that so good job OperationLegacy I guess :mad:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I watched Churchill the Hollywood years and he seemed an alright sort of fella?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Can we include the entire NBA in this thread?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

I watched Churchill the Hollywood years and he seemed an alright sort of fella?

He intentionally made the Indian famines worse because he hated Indians. He would tell anyone who would listen.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Phanatic posted:

Can we include the entire NBA in this thread?

You;d think that people whose sole skill was the ability to put a ball in a basket would be self-aware enough to stick to endorsing sneakers.

But no, ever since Rodman became the US ambassador to N.Korea, they want to dabble in international politics.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Yes, how dare they have and share an opinion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

None of the players are actually giving opinions. It was an exec and now the players are basically being hounded until they give an opinion. So that makes no sense

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I assumed he was making the offer to fleece chuds out of their money and was in favor of him

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CharlestheHammer posted:

None of the players are actually giving opinions. It was an exec and now the players are basically being hounded until they give an opinion. So that makes no sense

Once you’ve decided to enter the political arena, people are going to expect you to stay there. It’s not unreasonable for people who have taken a position of advancing social justice in the USA to be expected to take a position on playing ball in another country that throws Muslims into prison camps.

Also, it’s one thing to say “I’m just a basketball player, I don’t have an opinion.” It’s an entirely different thing to say that the guy who spoke out to defend the protesters in Hong Kong was simply uneducated on the issue, and should have given more thought to the financial impact of his words. The former’s at least arguably a position of neutrality, the latter’s just licking boot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Once you’ve decided to enter the political arena, people are going to expect you to stay there. It’s not unreasonable for people who have taken a position of advancing social justice in the USA to be expected to take a position on playing ball in another country that throws Muslims into prison camps.

Also, it’s one thing to say “I’m just a basketball player, I don’t have an opinion.” It’s an entirely different thing to say that the guy who spoke out to defend the protesters in Hong Kong was simply uneducated on the issue, and should have given more thought to the financial impact of his words. The former’s at least arguably a position of neutrality, the latter’s just licking boot.

This is a good explanation of why LeBron's statement was disappointing, but the "oh Mr. Sportsball man thinks he can talk politics" framing was really bad

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If I agree with an athlete I’m “glad someone is finally saying what needs to be said”

If I disagree with an athlete I “think they should stick to playing the game”

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That’s not true, you are not expected to have an opinion on every political thing that’s insane.

It’s just racism and bad faith right wingers with some hand wringing libs thrown in for flavor

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

oldpainless posted:

If I agree with an athlete I’m “glad someone is finally saying what needs to be said”

If I disagree with an athlete I “think they should stick to playing the game”

It's perfectly fine to do that when you are talking about tipping or the current president or the fairness of carpool lanes.

It's much harder when the athlete's statement is 'I think the violent repression of a population and a supression of their basic human rights is a Bad Thing'.

You only have the choice of saying nothing at all or agreeing with them. There's not really the option to say that there are many factors to consider or that it is a complex question.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I mean, you are kind of a garbage person if you think the answer to “stop repressing basic human rights” is “well, it’s complicated.” Like, what are the complexities that are preventing you from agreeing with the former statement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If your telling someone to stick to sports when you don’t have much of an idea what your talking about isn’t that a bit hypocritical