Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA For Not Promoting Solely Based On Performance?

I'm a sales manager at a tech company and we have 2 young sales reps at our company who got hired at the same time about 1 year ago. One's a guy and ones a girl, they are both like 22/23 and great at their jobs. Since its been one year at the company from them both and they both have excellent performance (the girl does edge him out every quarter though) we were looking to promote one of them into a closing sales role that would be a large bump in their compensation and life at work.

I decided to promote the guy because he does have an amazing sales record in his year here (although the girl has slightly better numbers), he has more confidence, more business acumen and is a great presenter. When I told my wife about who I promoted and why she called me a huge rear end in a top hat/douche/sexist for not promoting solely based on numbers but I think a lot of variables are at play and the guy was the stronger choice.

AITA?

This guy has more qualities I associate with successful sales people yet is still selling less then a ~female~ so clearly he's the best choice to become her boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for seeing a movie with my friend that offended her on my birthday?

Weird title I know.

Here's what happened: It was my birthday a few days ago and with my friends (lets call Sue and Jane, real creative) asked what I wanted to do to celebrate. My plans were pretty simple; dinner + movie + video games. Both were alright with this. I picked a movie to see in theaters, believing both would like/be alright with it. Now here's the thing, Jane is one of those people who love getting her way. If she doesn't, it's not always pretty. I'm very patient with her because she came from a family who never told her no, so I don't blame her behavior entirely on her and she has improved over the time I've known her, but I can also say it can be difficult. Especially in this situation.

She criticized the movie I wanted to see and persistently suggested other movies to go see. She even mistold us the time so we would miss it. Keep in mind she's 28. So I asked her why she didn't want to see it in hope of compromising, and she only said it was going to be offensive, too dark (she watches a lot of dark things, so I didn't think she would mind) and glorifies crime. Apparently there were so many better movies we should see. Sue kept pressing, reminding Jane it's my birthday, until finally she angrily accepted.

Well we see the movie, I love it, Sue likes it and Jane began to cry. We console her, but she quickly pushes us away and say we were thoughtless jerks. After she calmed down she told us she didn't want to see the movie because how it portrayed cops (her father's one and she is a guard at a prison) looking like the bad guys (I disagree, but didn't tell her that) and how it glorified crime and made criminal behavior alright. In my opinion, I don't think that was the movie's intent, it was far more about mental illness, but Jane was relentless in berating the film and calling us out on taking her.

I apologized and told her she could have told me that, I would have happily found something else to do. She called me selfish and left. So I ended up getting drunk on birthday feeling guilty as hell. Was I the rear end in a top hat?

of course this guy wanted to go see the joker with two women and just insisted on doing that and then playing vidya afterwards
christ

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for seeing a movie with my friend that offended her on my birthday?

I haven't seen it, but it was totally Joker, wasn't it?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

yeah

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Sjs00 posted:

of course this guy wanted to go see the joker with two women and just insisted on doing that and then playing vidya afterwards
christ

Every once in awhile GBS still produces posts that give me this nostalgic feeling, like it's 2007 again and the forum is still wall to wall college age male nerds.
This is such a post.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Grape posted:

Every once in awhile GBS still produces posts that give me this nostalgic feeling, like it's 2007 again and the forum is still wall to wall college age male nerds.
This is such a post.

we've established in the PYF Memes thread that grape isn't actually a flavour; but rather an artificial additive separate from the actual fruit you eat or make wine with.
So you are essentially living an internet lie, forums user grape

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Grape posted:

He promoted someone with worse sales results to a job involved in higher level sales, over someone with better sales results.

He also said he's a great presenter, so I assume better than her, and that might be a factor in the new position as a closing sales rep. I think considering qualities other than pure sales figures is valuable if the new position requires other ones. It's impossible to actually know if what he did was the right or wrong thing based on that paragraph. All I can tell is that he's a terrible manager for not being able to pull the trigger without soul searching on the internet afterwards.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sjs00 posted:

christ

drat these people who want to celebrate their birthday in a manner of their choosing! :argh:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Sjs00 posted:

we've established in the PYF Memes thread that grape isn't actually a flavour; but rather an artificial additive separate from the actual fruit you eat or make wine with.
So you are essentially living an internet lie, forums user grape

I just find it funny that apropos of nothing you assumed the OP was male, presumably because circa 2007 when the post was produced the idea of girls watching movies like this and playing video games was strange and foreign still.

Also oddly ignoring the friend whining because of perceived slander against cops.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Sunswipe posted:

drat these people who want to celebrate their birthday in a manner of their choosing! :argh:

But forcing two other people to partake and enjoy the disgusting degenerate habits of a gamer in the name of 'birthday' is seriously dense minded poo poo. These women could have been doing something better with their time, I mean I assume

Grape posted:

I just find it funny that apropos of nothing you assumed the OP was male, presumably because circa 2007 when the post was produced the idea of girls watching movies like this and playing video games was strange and foreign still.

Also oddly ignoring the friend whining because of perceived slander against cops.

I guess I did assume that. But how hard is it to find a movie that they could all agree on? Gemini man just came out and I guarantee its way better than Joker

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nurge posted:

He also said he's a great presenter, so I assume better than her, and that might be a factor in the new position as a closing sales rep. I think considering qualities other than pure sales figures is valuable if the new position requires other ones. It's impossible to actually know if what he did was the right or wrong thing based on that paragraph. All I can tell is that he's a terrible manager for not being able to pull the trigger without soul searching on the internet afterwards.

This sounds reasonable and all but ~for some reason~ intangible factors always wind up being to the detriment of minority candidates and mandatory metric-based guidelines generally wind up increasing both minority representation and overall performance

but no I'm sure this guy is 100% objective in his evaluation of completely subjective qualities

EDIT: like yeah it is within the realm of physical possibility he did in fact make the right call but his inability to quantify what makes the dude a better presenter is pretty telling

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 13, 2019

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA: For telling the parents of a crying baby in church to take their child outside.

quote:

I posted this over on r/Christianity and got absolutely slaughtered over there. You can check it out. I'm not asking for validation or for people to take my side, I just want to see what neutrals think. I've basically been made out by them as though I'm a disgusting human being, an awful piece of poo poo and a terrible Christian. So I'll leave you to be the jury.

So I was in church this Sunday morning as usual. A family comes in late and sits a little way opposite me. During the section of the service where a passage from the Bible is read, the baby starts crying. Loudly. I can't hear what the reader is saying. I can see people turning their heads as they are obviously being disturbed and I'm finding it hugely distracting. The parents are making little effort to quieten their baby; they're actually seated directly infront of a children's area full of toys and books but they make no effort to use them. I go over and whisper, "Sorry, but could you take him outside because it's inappropriate for when it's supposed to be silent." It's important to note that this was the point in the service when we're supposed to quietly reflect on the reading. I go back to my seat. They talk amongst themselves for a bit, I can't make it out. Then they walk out and don't come back. I never meant for them to leave; all I wanted is for them to shut their baby up so that the congregation wasn't disturbed or distracted by the loud crying.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nurge posted:

He also said he's a great presenter, so I assume better than her, and that might be a factor in the new position as a closing sales rep. I think considering qualities other than pure sales figures is valuable if the new position requires other ones.

:ssh: psst. All the gut-feeling truthiness qualities he ascribed to the dude can easily be a case of "is a guy" :ssh:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Sexism in business?

No it just intangibles

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA: For telling the parents of a crying baby in church to take their child outside.

Didn't Jesus Himself say "And lo, if thou cannot shutteth up that screaming brat, getteth the gently caress out"?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Sjs00 posted:

But forcing two other people to partake and enjoy the disgusting degenerate habits of a gamer in the name of 'birthday' is seriously dense minded poo poo. These women could have been doing something better with their time, I mean I assume

drat, why am I hearing Souljah Boy all of a sudden... hey anyone seen Juno yet?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sjs00 posted:

Sorry, I missed the part where he was holding them at gunpoint.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

This sounds reasonable and all but ~for some reason~ intangible factors always wind up being to the detriment of minority candidates and mandatory metric-based guidelines generally wind up increasing both minority representation and overall performance

but no I'm sure this guy is 100% objective in his evaluation of completely subjective qualities

EDIT: like yeah it is within the realm of physical possibility he did in fact make the right call but his inability to quantify what makes the dude a better presenter is pretty telling

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sexism in business?

No it just intangibles

He followed up the 2 people were the front line sales reps, doing all the cold calling and trying to score meetings where the pro sales teams go in to close the deals. It's not a promotion so much as a re-assignment to a different facing role.

It still makes the presumption that the "intangibles" he sees in the male candidate are better then the female's. Also, like someone said in the comments, when women have that level of confidence they come off as bitchy and arrogant instead of strong and commanding.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
lmao guys I'm shitposting while at work so I can pretend to be busy around these customers; sick burns though

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lmao imagine wanting to spend your birthday doing what you want with your friends, what an absolute maroon

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Sjs00 posted:

lmao guys I'm shitposting while at work so I can pretend to be busy around these customers; sick burns though

funny to see you still posting when i get back from the sunday "customers watching me work" shift :smuggo:

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Straight White Shark posted:

the fact that she had better numbers than him in sales, where generally there’s a huge proportion of customer base who are more skeptical of buying the exact same thing from a woman vs a man, and she still has better stats than the guy, is likely indicative that she is better than him far beyond what the raw numbers show imo

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Grape posted:

funny to see you still posting when i get back from the sunday "customers watching me work" shift :smuggo:

I'm not gonna not post guy. unless I get probated I guess

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sjs00 posted:

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Sjs00 posted:

Lol, only pretending to be stupid

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Anyway, OP of the "friend offended by movie choice" post claims to be a woman in a previous post. But she also claims to be a vet tech a month ago, and a caregiver for autism clients yesterday. Maybe she's lying, maybe today's economy sucks and she needs both jobs/got fired recently. Who knows?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
nice meltdowns (?)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

He followed up the 2 people were the front line sales reps, doing all the cold calling and trying to score meetings where the pro sales teams go in to close the deals. It's not a promotion so much as a re-assignment to a different facing role.

...that happens to pay 50% more. It's absolutely a promotion.

He's also bending over backwards to try to minimize her current front line position as not being "real" sales but that's 100% bullshit, it's absolutely a heavy lifting role.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (35/f) brother (27/m) asked me for sex.

I wish this was a fake post, this is such a hard to believe situation.

A few days ago now, my [technically half] brother asked if he could confess something embarrassing, and then told me that he was sexually attracted to me and figured that there wasn't really anything in the way of us having sex if I wanted to????

We're both currently living with our dad (technically my stepdad, but my biological father has never been in the picture) who is single and gone most of the time, so it's usually just us here. We mostly stay in our own rooms but we used to be really close as kids and I've been trying to rekindle that by smoking weed with him, sharing food, trying to strike up conversation, things like that.

Well, according to him he took it as me coming into him.

We both had really hard childhoods with lots of abuse and exposure to things that I've had years and years of therapy trying to get past. I'm a really liberal person, very sex positive, extremely open minded, and I try very hard to be compassionate. I'm sure that in his perception, he was putting a lot of trust in me, so I was gentle about it and just told him no, that's really inappropriate and I'm not interested and I definitely wasn't trying to hit on him.

Even since I told him no, however, I've felt like he's continued to try to subtly push for it, but idk if it's in my head. Maybe he's just trying to be nice, but now I'm suspicious of everything.

I've been through a series of emotions over this, and then I went and spent Friday night with a fwb to get out of the house and get my mind off it and then kinda just stayed out of the house all sat. I'm back home now and I just feel SO UNCOMFORTABLE around my brother now. I hear him come out of his room and feel tense, I dread running into him in the hall, I feel guilty for avoiding him but gross about being in his view knowing he sees me that way.

I'm saving up to move out, but this is such an easy and convenient living arrangement that I've been lazy about putting serious plans into motion. We live in an expensive US city and I'll have to move somewhere cheaper. It'll be another few months before I can afford to move if I begin saving aggressively.

How unusual is this?? Any advice on how to navigate this?

Tl;dr: Half brother wants to bone 🤢. Real life incest is way too far, even for someone as sex positive and impulsively promiscuous as me. Now things are really weird with him, obviously. Wtf?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Epic FOIPPA Violation, Medical Negligence, and Clinical Incompetency ..

quote:

Canada

Couple weeks ago I received a letter from my estranged spouse’s Psychiatrist. In a nutshell (pun not intended) , I think this is really, really bad.

1) I have never spoken with, met, or communicated via electronic means with this Dr. 2) Dr. did not address the letter to anyone in particular, but used ‘To Whom it May Comcern’. 3) In her letter she states that she is providing this opinion on patient’s functional state and mental health status at the request of the pt. 4) Dr. refers to my by my given name several times throughout the letter. 5) Dr. did not verify information from her pt. 6)Pt and I go weeks, sometimes months without seeing each other in person or speaking, all communication is via email and sparse at best. 7) Extensive third party documentation disproving her pt claims is available.

Loosely Paraphrased :

Dear Anyone Who Reads this Letter,

My patient’s mental health status / functional status continue to deteriorate. It is impossible for this pt to have a relationship with the child without having to interact with the child’s custodial parent on a regular basis. This is very stressful for my pt. If my patient’s stress is not drastically reduced he will become suicidal.

It is my recommendation that my pt not have any communication with the custodial parent . It is also my recommendation that my pt not have further contact with their son until my pt is recovered.

Dictated, Read, Edited But not signed (to avoid delay)

**** PLOT TWIST**** Parenting time/visitation is facilitated and supervised exclusively by trained support staff in a closed setting. Staff pick our child up from my residence, transport to the Centre, stay with my child and my former spouse (line of sight) for the visit, then return our child to my residence. I am not involved in their time together in any way, before, during, or after.

So, on a scale of 1-10, how much of a gently caress up is this ?

:thunk:

quote:

a doctor wouldn't send you a letter saying their patient can no longer see you. a doctor wouldn't even be able to tell you that your spouse is their patient in most circumstances. a doctor is also not gonna send you a professional letter from themselves and not sign it. your spouse was ok with impersonating a doctor in writing, but not forging a doctor's signature

:stonklol:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
If they are both smashing their number then it should be easy to get budget to fund two of the more senior role - sales jobs are the easiest to fund in as established business because they come with their own revenue target.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Service workers Sisters are supposed to be nice to you. Just because a service worker sister smiles at you that doesn't mean she wants to gently caress you.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
How much should I tip my sister when she makes dinner?

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

cumshitter posted:

Service workers Sisters are supposed to be nice to you. Just because a service worker sister smiles at you that doesn't mean she wants to gently caress you.

Why would porn lie to me?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Pinecone Sample posted:

Epic FOIPPA Violation, Medical Negligence, and Clinical Incompetency ..

:thunk:

:stonklol:
I don't see why this couldn't be real, aside from lack of signature (which might be because it's a CC and the signed letter is going to someone else). Supposedly the patient agreed to this, so there's no confidentiality violation, and a doctor is opining on their patient's mental state, it's not up to them to verify any claims. It sounds like a letter that the estranged spouse asked for to present at a court hearing to not have to deal with visitation.

Also the fact that visitation is done with supervision at "a centre" suggests this is not a normal circumstance.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it's weird, but the only forms of media that don't affect your thinking are the ones that you, yes you, the person reading this, personally enjoy (video games and pornography). the media properties that do affect people's thinking are only the things your stupid dad likes (fox news, reading his own Patriots jersey out loud ("patriots!"))

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I wish this was a fake post, this is such a hard to believe situation.

A few days ago now, my [technically half] brother asked if he could confess something embarrassing, and then told me that he was sexually attracted to me and figured that there wasn't really anything in the way of us having sex if I wanted to????

We're both currently living with our dad (technically my stepdad, but my biological father has never been in the picture) who is single and gone most of the time, so it's usually just us here. We mostly stay in our own rooms but we used to be really close as kids and I've been trying to rekindle that by smoking weed with him, sharing food, trying to strike up conversation, things like that.

Well, according to him he took it as me coming into him.

We both had really hard childhoods with lots of abuse and exposure to things that I've had years and years of therapy trying to get past. I'm a really liberal person, very sex positive, extremely open minded, and I try very hard to be compassionate. I'm sure that in his perception, he was putting a lot of trust in me, so I was gentle about it and just told him no, that's really inappropriate and I'm not interested and I definitely wasn't trying to hit on him.

Even since I told him no, however, I've felt like he's continued to try to subtly push for it, but idk if it's in my head. Maybe he's just trying to be nice, but now I'm suspicious of everything.

I've been through a series of emotions over this, and then I went and spent Friday night with a fwb to get out of the house and get my mind off it and then kinda just stayed out of the house all sat. I'm back home now and I just feel SO UNCOMFORTABLE around my brother now. I hear him come out of his room and feel tense, I dread running into him in the hall, I feel guilty for avoiding him but gross about being in his view knowing he sees me that way.

I'm saving up to move out, but this is such an easy and convenient living arrangement that I've been lazy about putting serious plans into motion. We live in an expensive US city and I'll have to move somewhere cheaper. It'll be another few months before I can afford to move if I begin saving aggressively.

How unusual is this?? Any advice on how to navigate this?

Tl;dr: Half brother wants to bone 🤢. Real life incest is way too far, even for someone as sex positive and impulsively promiscuous as me. Now things are really weird with him, obviously. Wtf?

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > /r/relationships: Real life incest is way too far, even for someone as sex positive and impulsively promiscuous as me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the actual really sad thing is she's basically saying "i was molested, but even i wasn't this molested"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't porn make it pretty clear these are STEPsiblings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
You risk running afoul of obscenity laws if you don't. It's a wink/nudge type of compromise.