Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Aardark posted:

Fat Todd was pretty funny I guess. I thought his first scene was going to be his only appearance, so that you can't really see him through the bars in Jesse's prison hole.

hah that was my thought too, it felt like they were intentionally trying to hide him at first.

thought this was pretty good - didn't really feel like a movie as much as a couple episodes of BB (since half the movie is told in flashback, there's not really a whole lot that actually happens). I do like that they kept the trope of Jesse as a guy who makes some pretty obvious mistakes (as a contrast to the supergenius types like Walt, Gus, Hank, Mike, etc.) - not recognizing the guy who built his cage seems like a pretty big oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Apparently Vince stated that you could enjoy this without having seen Breaking Bad? No way would anyone care about what's happening in it otherwise.

He said it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBJ9JTUoPwg&t=56s

I remember seeing that weeks ago and being worried about the movie being generic. But I think he was just doing some marketing to get more viewers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i keep singing el camino as the gran torino song.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_sSNY48feo

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

JAMOOOL posted:

I do like that they kept the trope of Jesse as a guy who makes some pretty obvious mistakes (as a contrast to the supergenius types like Walt, Gus, Hank, Mike, etc.) - not recognizing the guy who built his cage seems like a pretty big oops

Nah that made sense to me. When you finally see him in the flashback he looks different enough and I can certainly believe that Jesse is in a distracted enough headspace in that moment to not commit his face to memory. Not being able to tell that they weren’t really cops until they’d already gotten him over a barrel was worse imo

Karmine fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 13, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

even if i hadn't been kept as a slave i probably wouldn't have recognized them as the same guy.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
There are goons in this thread who didn't even recognize him as the same dude while watching the movie.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Last Chance posted:

Saul tells Walt that the cleaner's deluxe package for "high risk targets" is 125k, which is what I believe he charged Jesse in El Camino

I'm way behind but he does charge Jesse 125k x2 (250k) because he bailed once, what the other poster is probably thinking of is that Walt needed money for three people the first time.

Edit: I wish there was a scene establishing that Jesse didn't get the pizza and beer and that's why he finally went through with killing skinny Todd.

On yet another note, someone earlier in the thread thought it was weird that Jesse was allowed to just drive off while Walt was stuck in a cabin. Jimmy/Saul/Gene is moved to loving Omaha and is a guy who had his face on billboards just a state or two away for years. Yet he's allowed to have a job in a busy mall. Yes it's falling apart clearly by the Gene flash forwards but it seems to me Walt being stuck in a cabin was more for the story, it isn't treated consistently in the show. If Saul needs to disappear he's the hottest of the hot and the dude put him right in front of thousands of people.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 13, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I'm way behind but he does charge Jesse 125k x2 (250k) because he bailed once, what the other poster is probably thinking of is that Walt needed money for three people the first time.

Yes, I know he charged Jesse twice. That drove the final half of the plot, thanks for letting me know though!

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

On yet another note, someone earlier in the thread thought it was weird that Jesse was allowed to just drive off while Walt was stuck in a cabin. Jimmy/Saul/Gene is moved to loving Omaha and is a guy who had his face on billboards just a state or two away for years. Yet he's allowed to have a job in a busy mall. Yes it's falling apart clearly by the Gene flash forwards but it seems to me Walt being stuck in a cabin was more for the story, it isn't treated consistently in the show. If Saul needs to disappear he's the hottest of the hot and the dude put him right in front of thousands of people.

Walt was likely suspected of murdering two DEA agents at that point since nobody knew about Jack and crew. Jesse wasn’t even officially in the system of that point and probably didn’t come up until Marie had calmed down enough to tell what she knew.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Action Serious posted:

Walt was likely suspected of murdering two DEA agents at that point since nobody knew about Jack and crew. Jesse wasn’t even officially in the system of that point and probably didn’t come up until Marie had calmed down enough to tell what she knew.

The DEA and Albuquerque PD knew that Jesse was involved in the Heisenberg stuff, so once Heisenberg’s identity is public knowledge, and especially after Heisenberg is found dead in a meth lab, Jesse is the only person they can nail for the enormous wave of criminal activity over the past two years. Plus he’s most likely a chief suspect (and definitely a person of interest) in Walt’s death.

That said, I do think that 1. The disappearer is good enough at what he does and 2. Haines, Alaska is remote enough that Jesse should be fine as long as he doesn’t do anything stupid.

e: I can’t remember, do the cops know that Jesse was being held by the Nazis or do they just want him because they know he knows stuff about Walt?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Action Serious posted:

Point stands that Saul absolutely should not have a job in a loving mall, he's the hottest of them all. He's had his face on commercials and billboards for years not that far away! A moustache doesn't erase that.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Last Chance posted:

Yes, I know he charged Jesse twice. That drove the final half of the plot, thanks for letting me know though!

Maybe don't say he charged him 125k then, because he didn't? He didn't even take the previously owed money, explicitly. He charged him 250k in one transaction.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

Point stands that Saul absolutely should not have a job in a loving mall, he's the hottest of them all. He's had his face on commercials and billboards for years not that far away! A moustache doesn't erase that.

You’re absolutely right but Jimmy getting busted (or at least giving himself debilitating anxiety) because he was just really attached to his Cinnabon idea sounds exactly like the risktaking character we’ve come to know over the course of BCS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nail Rat posted:

Maybe don't say he charged him 125k then, because he didn't? He didn't even take the previously owed money, explicitly. He charged him 250k in one transaction.

What? He makes it pretty clear. He charges $125k for the first time when Jesse didn't get in the van, and $125k for the second time. When Jesse doesn't have the money for the second $125k, Ed decides to just forget the whole thing, give him all his money and send him on his way. Then Jesse goes back to his car and calls Ed back and asks if the deal is still on. Ed says it is. So Jesse gets the rest of the money he needs for the original deal. $125k for the time he bailed, and $125k for the new deal.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Karmine posted:

You’re absolutely right but Jimmy getting busted (or at least giving himself debilitating anxiety) because he was just really attached to his Cinnabon idea sounds exactly like the risktaking character we’ve come to know over the course of BCS.

You know, you're exactly right. I guess Ed isn't big on the whole constructive criticism thing.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

He said he didn't intend to collect what was previously owed while Jesse was in the store (aka take the $125k and then reject the rest and reject helping him) and was gonna let him off the hook for that first failed pickup. He collected on previously owed $125k when Jesse confirmed the deal was still on. Basically this exact post:

Cojawfee posted:

What? He makes it pretty clear. He charges $125k for the first time when Jesse didn't get in the van, and $125k for the second time. When Jesse doesn't have the money for the second $125k, Ed decides to just forget the whole thing, give him all his money and send him on his way. Then Jesse goes back to his car and calls Ed back and asks if the deal is still on. Ed says it is. So Jesse gets the rest of the money he needs for the original deal. $125k for the time he bailed, and $125k for the new deal.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

You know, you're exactly right. I guess Ed isn't big on the whole constructive criticism thing.

I can absolutely picture a scene (that now we’ll never get :() where Ed is telling Saul that it’s a bad idea and Saul persisting and Ed quickly giving up by way of “all right I’ve already got your money do whatever you want you dumbass.”

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Karmine posted:

The DEA and Albuquerque PD knew that Jesse was involved in the Heisenberg stuff, so once Heisenberg’s identity is public knowledge, and especially after Heisenberg is found dead in a meth lab, Jesse is the only person they can nail for the enormous wave of criminal activity over the past two years. Plus he’s most likely a chief suspect (and definitely a person of interest) in Walt’s death.

can’t remember, do the cops know that Jesse was being held by the Nazis or do they just want him because they know he knows stuff about Walt?

The cops know nothing about Jack.

Also it stands to reason that with the rest of his family believing that Walter killed Hank and Steve and since the bodies weren’t found (likely until 6+ months later), Jesse, who Marie can confirm was with them, was killed as well.

All anybody knows is that Hank and Steve has Walter in custody, only Marie knew they were working with Jesse because they intentionally kept it out of the system to keep Walt from getting him.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Action Serious posted:

The cops know nothing about Jack.

Not when Walt is first outed as Heisenberg, true, but I’m taking about afterward when Jack is just one dead nazi in a pile of dead nazis and the cops are raiding their meth lab/nazi compound. Did they know that Jesse was the one cooking and living in the hole or would they have assumed it was Walt or some third party?

It doesn’t really matter too much in terms of the overall narrative but one of the things I enjoyed most about Breaking Bad was watching Hank and his people try to figure out what was going on when the audience already knew the answers to all of his questions. I could have used some more DEA/APD/FBI stuff in El Camino, but obviously the whole point of the story is that the main character is trying to avoid those people so it makes sense not to have it.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I liked it. I would have loved it if they had left out the flashbacks and the Jane ghost at the end. I would have preferred Jesse's road to freedom be filled with more puzzles and nonsense instead of filling in gaps that didn't need to be filled.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
More puzzles? Like a Sphynx on the road?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I would've much preferred Jesse in Alaska wood working, allude to the plot point of Todd's money (or hell, even tell that story) and things coming back to haunt him in his new life because there is no escape from what he was involved in. 🤷‍♂️

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

There is one really subtle thing I noticed, a day after watching, involving the welders posing as cops.

When the red-haired guy called out to his partner, I originally thought that the partner drew his gun just because it was prudent because of the state of the apartment. I realized later, that the red-haired guy called out to his partner as "lieutenant" to intentionally alert him because there was no need to keep up the disguise if they were alone.

That's the kind of poo poo I loved about BB. The antagonists are just as smart as the protagonists.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 14, 2019

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Karmine posted:

Not when Walt is first outed as Heisenberg, true, but I’m taking about afterward when Jack is just one dead nazi in a pile of dead nazis and the cops are raiding their meth lab/nazi compound. Did they know that Jesse was the one cooking and living in the hole or would they have assumed it was Walt or some third party?

It doesn’t really matter too much in terms of the overall narrative but one of the things I enjoyed most about Breaking Bad was watching Hank and his people try to figure out what was going on when the audience already knew the answers to all of his questions. I could have used some more DEA/APD/FBI stuff in El Camino, but obviously the whole point of the story is that the main character is trying to avoid those people so it makes sense not to have it.

Wouldn't they have found Jesse's confession DVD that the Nazis held regular airings of and figured the rest out from there? They probably filmed themselves doing all sorts of depraved poo poo to him too. I don't think it would have been too hard to figure out that Walt came in to mass murder them and save Jesse (yes he probably initially intended to murder Jesse as well but that didn't end up mattering).

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Oh man, my Hoover broke again, but Ed is making another drive to some distant reach of North America again. Maybe he had to mail something.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Chadzok posted:

Wouldn't they have found Jesse's confession DVD that the Nazis held regular airings of and figured the rest out from there? They probably filmed themselves doing all sorts of depraved poo poo to him too. I don't think it would have been too hard to figure out that Walt came in to mass murder them and save Jesse (yes he probably initially intended to murder Jesse as well but that didn't end up mattering).

I doubt they would keep the tape around if they went to the trouble of breaking into a DEA agent’s house to get it. They didn’t show regular airings of it, they just showed It to Jack after they retrieved it. They were dumb but also career criminals so it’s probably gone.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

pospysyl posted:

There were a lot of good moments, but ultimately it casts one of Pinkman's defining qualities - his reluctance to kill - and casts it as a weakness. His final conversation with Kate lays out the core message: seize control over your own destiny, don't let anyone determine it for you. El Camino is the story of how Pinkman wasn't willing to murder Todd to free himself, he wasn't able to break his bonds during the bet, but after his journey he's able to kill those welders and claim his own destiny. That this is the same guy who stepped away from millions of dollars over a single dead kid and was deeply traumatized and ashamed by his murder of Gail is ridiculous.

This is right on. It really muddles something about Jesse, who, from mid-series on, was in many ways the moral center of BB (disregarding Hank, perhaps). Jesse's growing maturity and humanity is a big part of the show, and this movie doesn't really do much on that, other than perhaps showing that Jesse has become more desensitized to committing violence, which is actually a step back.

But, it was fun seeing all these characters again, even though I'm not sure what the purpose of some of the scenes were (What were we suppose to get out of the Walt cameo?).

I gotta get onto watching Better Call Saul I guess.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mike N Eich posted:

But, it was fun seeing all these characters again, even though I'm not sure what the purpose of some of the scenes were (What were we suppose to get out of the Walt cameo?).

It's so reviewers can write headlines about "THAT Cameo", and get people to watch the movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think to some extent the Walt flashback is meant to 1)Hammer in just how far Jesse has come since the early days of Breaking Bad (Someone earlier pointed out how this is the only scene featuring Jesse's iconic "Bitch!!!!!!!!!" catchphrase, which is a nice detail.) but also 2) Parallel the Mike flashback at the beginning.

Like it is kind of interesting that both the Walt and Mike scenes feature discussions about where Jesse should take his future, though it seems like Jesse ultimately gets more out of Mike's advice over Walt's talk about getting a business degree or whatever.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I think the flashbacks were to establish Jesse as an interesting character because he was interacting with interesting characters. This movie was a chance for Jesse's character to be defined in a world where he wasn't just a dude interacting with more interesting characters, but instead it continually brought in more interesting characters instead of building on Jesse. As a result, Jesse is still boring.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It feels weird how focused on showing Jesse ptsd this was and how unimportant it was. Like he can’t even take a shower without reliving horrors, but it didn’t matter much.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It feels weird how focused on showing Jesse ptsd this was and how unimportant it was. Like he can’t even take a shower without reliving horrors, but it didn’t matter much.

seconding this. i liked El Camino, was happy to have watched it and seen the closure, but kind of thought 'that wasn't really needed' when it was over. i almost wish Jesse went to Alaska early on in the movie and the story was as much conflict as it was him dealing with the PTSD he's gone through. show the actions of Walt and Breaking Bad and how they've deeply affected someone in a traumatic way. Walt embraces hubris, violence and ego and Jesse in this story should have rejected it through the humanity, empathy and growth that was central to Jesse's character. have him show growth by no longer being a victim to others, taking control of his own life, and dealing with his own PTSD and recovering from that in the process. could have made the story a lot more poignant. there was elements of it in there, but definitely for me seems like a missed opportunity to not have explored that psychology a lot more.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It seems in movies you get paralyzed by PTSD until you need to blow something up.

It seems that everyone knew about the cage they kept Jesse in. Multiple characters were marked on it who could’ve only heard from the Nazis who didn’t tell anyone, Jesse who they are just meeting, or the news which starts with a police press conference.

Still, the police would love to hit him for all the offenses that happened before he got captured, which include murder, so Jesse is wise to avoid them.

I love the shot of the truck passing by, because it means they rented a giant vehicle, someone to drive it, and a driving rig just so they could do a joke about someone being stupid.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Human Crouton posted:

There is one really subtle thing I noticed, a day after watching, involving the welders posing as cops.

When the red-haired guy called out to his partner, I originally thought that the partner drew his gun just because it was prudent because of the state of the apartment. I realized later, that the red-haired guy called out to his partner as "lieutenant" to intentionally alert him because there was no need to keep up the disguise if they were alone.

That's the kind of poo poo I loved about BB. The antagonists are just as smart as the protagonists.

I'm with you 100% and that's absolutely the proper read on this, but initially, when I was watching it and didn't know the FBI guys were bullshit, I picked up on the lieutenant line, thinking it was code to alert the other officer that poo poo is hosed. I had thought that maybe neither of them were that rank and using that was their code for 'I'm acting natural, but calling for genuine help at the same time'.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's what I assumed at first as well.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

It seems that everyone knew about the cage they kept Jesse in. Multiple characters were marked on it who could’ve only heard from the Nazis who didn’t tell anyone, Jesse who they are just meeting, or the news which starts with a police press conference.

We only see the beginning of the news conference, but the questions the press ask imply that they somehow know a bit more that Ramey doesn’t want to acknowledge because the investigation is ongoing. There could be a leak or some other way the info got out to the press... because that does happen.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Last Chance posted:

We only see the beginning of the news conference, but the questions the press ask imply that they somehow know a bit more that Ramey doesn’t want to acknowledge because the investigation is ongoing. There could be a leak or some other way the info got out to the press... because that does happen.

I agree. It’s very hard for the police to leak information they don’t know, and all the witnesses to the shoot out are dead or Jesse.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah but I mean... the police saw jesse’s cage, his poo poo bucket, the welded thing he was attached to, his prints on the equipment, etc, Brock and Andrea’s photo hanging in the lab.

And they’re looking for a person of interest who isn’t at the scene anymore, they know Walt was there and rigged up the M60 because of prints and things. It’s not a huge leap for someone to put together that Jesse was in captivity and Walt may have tried to spring him (even if we know better and knew that wasn’t is exact intentions initially) and leak that info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Golden Bee posted:

It seems in movies you get paralyzed by PTSD until you need to blow something up.

Still, the police would love to hit him for all the offenses that happened before he got captured, which include murder, so Jesse is wise to avoid them.

I love the shot of the truck passing by, because it means they rented a giant vehicle, someone to drive it, and a driving rig just so they could do a joke about someone being stupid.

The truck also passed in a no-passing zone.