Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

holocaust bloopers posted:

OK it was between Port Angeles and Forks. We both found a nice cabin in Forks to stay in, which puts up pretty central to most everything in the park.

Watch out for sparkly vampires and vacant-eyed teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

A Bad Poster posted:

Watch out for sparkly vampires and vacant-eyed teens.

Yes my girlfriend already made that joke.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The North Rim of Grand Canyon is, as it turns out, a very cool place.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Those first 3 or so look like theyre out of Yellowstone

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

North rim is great, way less crowds than south rim.

Wanna get back there and get a sunrise or sunset shot of Cape Royal someday.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Those first 3 or so look like theyre out of Yellowstone

Kaibab Plateau

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yosemite and Olympic are a go for next year. Might fit in Great Smoky Mountains in March.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Rat posted:

North rim is great, way less crowds than south rim.

Wanna get back there and get a sunrise or sunset shot of Cape Royal someday.

It's funny, this is my second year working at the canyon but it's the first time I've had the chance to get up there. Really an incredible place and such a different environment from the South Rim, especially with all the trails they have up there. I really need to spend the time to get out to Cape Final and Point Sublime next time I'm up there.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Cape Final is a nice hike. I took this one somewhere out there once with the self timer on my camera. The lens flare is completely accidental.

Ciiiiiircle of liiiiiiifeeeee

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yes my girlfriend already made that joke.

Ohhh bloops you gonna be near me but crab season is over!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I was out for a night bike ride in just about the darkest spot I've seen in this area and happened to have my Rokinon 12mm f2.0 (basically /the/ astrophotography lens for APS-C e-mount) and a Manfrotto pocket tripod so I gave it a go. Nothing spectacular (although almost none of these stars were visible to the naked eye) but better than I thought since this was taken in a county of 1 million people and only 10 miles from downtown:

That's as good as I could get the sky to come out in post processing but I'm sure someone who knows more of what they're doing could do significantly better. Anyone gently caress around with astrophotography here?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I don’t really do astrophotography (I do the exact opposite, by going underwater :v: ), but I’m playing with your pic in PS Express (Adobe’s free mobile post-processing app) and getting some fun results. It’s not full-on photoshop, there’s no adding/subtracting things that weren’t there/shouldn’t be there, but you can clean up a pic really well and work the various settings until you get something you like.

This was a few minutes worth of playing with lighting. I can’t bring out the stars without highlighting the light pollution as well, but thats just the nature of it.

Things I did:
Lowered exposure slightly
Upped contrast slightly
Dropped highlights to 0
raised shadows
raised white levels
Decreased black level to 0

That’s just the lighting options, there are other menus I didn’t play with.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, the out of camera JPEG was significantly more exposed, the one posted here was me playing with the RAW file for a few minutes before I went to bed.

I’ll load the RAW into Affinity and see what it can do vs. the
stock Apple photos app on MacOS.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If any of the rest of you are into underwater photography, Dive+ is a great app for post-processing. I don’t know what they do under the hood, but it comes out fairly well. They’ll leave a watermark somewhere along the bottom, though, so leave room to crop that out before you finish off the pic :v:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Small waterfall in RMNP Wild Basin area. Still kinda digging the effect that hi-res mode shots has on flowing water like this.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nice dude. I’m up in Banff all of next week. Hot new content coming soon.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve been in Bonaire since last Friday diving my brains out, when I get back to a better connection I’ll have plenty of pics to share :)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Some old poo poo from about a year ago.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

First pic: young green sea turtle, gliding through the water without a single gently caress given.

More to follow when I get back to my place.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

More pics from Bonaire!

Potentially my best selfie so far:

Turtle-friend, from before:

Another green sea turtle-friend:

I think this is a speckled (or spotted?) moray:

Maze coral:

An inverted filefish, scraping coral for food:

The next 3 are a set. They're all from inside/near a shipwreck called the Hilma Hooker, on the south end of the island. The ship itself is rolled over hard on its port side. It was a drug boat that was impounded by the local government, then it rusted to the point of being too much to restore, then they sank it as an artificial reef (so the story goes).

The corridor I'm in right here, the right hand side was the deck when this ship was upright.

This is looking up (now) but this hallway used to connect the hallway in the previous pic to the hallway next to it. I think this was the ship's bridge, or at least that area?

Looking at the prop/rudder.

I think this is some kind of glassy sponge, but I'm mostly clueless when it comes to invertebrate life underwater.

A french angelfish, giving some mean side-eye:

A deer A foureye butterflyfish acting like a deer caught in the headlights:

This coral enchanted me for some reason. I saw a ton of it, which made me happy too :) M. aliciae, which makes sense because the first dive site I noticed at is called "Alice in Wonderland" :v:

A porcupinefish (puffer relative). Probably between 1-1.5ft long.

This one is a honeycomb trunkfish. They always look so grumpy :3:

A smooth trunkfish. Apparently these guys are toxic to touch? Idk, I don't touch marine life if I can help it.

A stoplight parrotfish. Their intermediate phase is red with random white scales, then they turn into this:

This is a carribbean reef squid. I got inked at by one of these guys, then it decided it was curious and wanted to have a closer look at all these weird bubble breathers.

When you're out on a dive and something green bites your thigh...THAT'S A MORAY :suicide:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Some old poo poo from about a year ago.

That’s a really beautiful shot.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh man are those eels friendly/curious in the sea? I was at an aquarium the other day and one wanted to be bros.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

They can’t see for anything, and when they open/shut their mouths constantly that’s just them breathing. They open up to draw in new water, then closing their mouth forces that water back over their gills. That being said, they are the inspiration for the double-jaw of the Xenomorphs from Aliens, so if one gets ahold of you it won’t be too pretty :v:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That’s a really beautiful shot.

Thanks

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So Canmore, AB is nice

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Dang that's nice. Is that a long exposure or is the lake already starting to ice over?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

Dang that's nice. Is that a long exposure or is the lake already starting to ice over?

Thanks dude. Long exposure with a 6-stop ND. About 15 seconds.

edit: I'm using circular filters. They're loving annoying. Might swing by The Camera Store in Calgary for a proper screw-on filter holder kit.

bloops fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 15, 2019

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I made an enormous pano and this is a 24 megapixel crop from it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Worth getting out for this scene.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Jesus you caught some great light there.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

Jesus you caught some great light there.

Dude it was pretty excellent timing. Just above the tree line before the sun rays scattered. I’ve got another to share a little higher up. It was a helluva scene.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nice, looking forward to seeing the rest of your pics. Banff always looked gorgeous, but with my uh, photographic constraints, I don't know if I'll ever go. Luckily there's Glacier and North Cascades that provide some similar terrain here.

My next trip probably isn't until Thanksgiving timeframe, probably down into the Southwest again. Still ironing out the details.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Rat is Christian Grey but instead of gently spanking a woman while wearing his special sex jeans he’s just got a room full of gear racks and canvas prints of Waldo pictures.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

Nice, looking forward to seeing the rest of your pics. Banff always looked gorgeous, but with my uh, photographic constraints, I don't know if I'll ever go. Luckily there's Glacier and North Cascades that provide some similar terrain here.

My next trip probably isn't until Thanksgiving timeframe, probably down into the Southwest again. Still ironing out the details.

You ought to check out Nick Carver on YouTube. He is all about the Southwest. Leans way more into fine art rather than hiking. Regardless his poo poo is dope.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The Rat posted:

spraypaint a rubber duck?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

The Rat is Christian Grey but instead of gently spanking a woman while wearing his special sex jeans he’s just got a room full of gear racks and canvas prints of Waldo pictures.

Someday. I just found a place that will do giant rear end canvas panorama prints, so I'm hoping to get my humongous shot from the Rawahs last month printed up like that.

You ought to check out Nick Carver on YouTube. He is all about the Southwest. Leans way more into fine art rather than hiking. Regardless his poo poo is dope.

I just looked him up and started watching some of his videos about making prints. Dude is definitely way above my level. Although I have to say, seeing his process for making prints going from medium format negatives, scanning them and editing in Lightroom before making the print, I'm like.... :shepface: why didn't you just use a digital camera to begin with :shepface: I dunno I guess I just don't get the film thing.

Flying_Crab posted:

spraypaint a rubber duck?

I dunno man it just wouldn't be the same :v:

A couple shots of places I hope to revisit on this next trip.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Film has its upsides. Great for learning how to shoot with intent, metering the right element of the scene properly, and simply getting light captured that digital can't measure up to in regards to how highlights react. Having 36 frames (and sometimes much, much less shooting medium format) is a creative restraint.

That being said, the costs add up, it's not immediately gratifying, and digital is essentially close enough. Fun side hobby, though.

As a benefit for me personally, I've gotten much more patient as a result. I take far fewer photographs and enjoy a slightly higher rate of photos I'm happy with.

SWEET SWEET CONTENT

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
In the past week I've uncovered two rolls of undeveloped film. I'm sure they're fine. Only...10-20 years old I guess.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Having to use the tripod for my camera's hi-res mode has had a similar effect for me in terms of slowing things down and making me think about composition, which has been nice. I just don't like the idea of being restricted to just a few shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Rat posted:

Someday. I just found a place that will do giant rear end canvas panorama prints, so I'm hoping to get my humongous shot from the Rawahs last month printed up like that.

I keep meaning to get certified on the giant printers at the local makerspace so I can print out dumb pictures and stuff on the (relatively) cheap. I’m pretty sure they’ve got a canvas printer too but I’m not sure.