Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

China being able to become a global naval power would take a Hell of a lot more than projecting power into the south China Sea. In fact, they wouldn't even need the South China Sea to begin with. It's all about getting leases for naval bases.

The SCS stuff is largely to give them control over that particular region and the mineral wealth that lies under it. They've been building small bases to help force project over that region and also maybe speed up projection into the Indian Ocean (soon to be known as the Southern China Ocean)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You'd think the fact that there is a Disneyland in Shanghai would clue them in to the fact that Winnie the Pooh isn't actually banned in China but whatever.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

The SCS stuff is largely to give them control over that particular region and the mineral wealth that lies under it. They've been building small bases to help force project over that region and also maybe speed up projection into the Indian Ocean (soon to be known as the Southern China Ocean)

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/plan-doctrine-offshore.htm

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lmfao

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Atrocious Joe posted:

this cia op is the lamest

tbf it would be really funny if china banned disney after they spent millions building a park there

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

tbf it would be really funny if china banned disney after they spent millions building a park there

Telling Disney to gently caress off is Praxis

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Yea, lol.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

logging on to the gamer net to receive my latest instructions from my CIA handler about which brands I should make "based" by saying that xi jinping sucks the mascot's cock

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

When you think about China's historical claim to Tibet, don't all its neighbors owe obeisance to the Dragon Throne? Maybe the Japanese are off the hook, based on historical precedent, but not the Koreans or Mongolians or Vietnamese.

That Vietnam, or so-called "South Korea," or so-called "North Korea," have engaged in independent foreign policies, is frankly outrageous.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Reports on China ‘organ harvesting’ derive from front groups of far-right cult Falun Gong

this will get dismissed by the usual suspects but surprise surprise that "independent" tribunal was stacked with epoch times people

clearly you missed the post earlier in the thread clarifying that the epoch times is actually one of the most trustworthy publications currently reporting on china

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think I read recently that Croatia’s been in a recession since 2012? Can’t imagine things are going great right now.

we'll be having presidential elections (mostly a ceremonial position) soon and the three big candidates are - the right wing incumbent, the left wing (but actually neolib and poo poo) ex prime minister, a very conservative singer who wants to give power to the president to do various poo poo which would be a loving nightmare in his hands
one of the smaller candidates is a director who made a critical film about the owner of our biggest company (which was aired only after he fell in the poo poo and his grip on the poltiical flora and fauna slipped) and has now changed his name to the name of the corrupt mayor of our capital city for comedic purposes so he can say things like "<mayor's name> is running in the name of corruption!"
it's going swimmingly
I'll be voting for the worker's front candidate in the first round I suppose, wasting my vote but the idea of voting for any one of these others (except the director) is making me suicidal
I'll skip the 2nd round

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 02:16 on Oct 14, 2019

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
looking at my notes here and whoa, buddy, marx has expressed a very strong preference for those institutions you are suicidal over

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Darkman Fanpage posted:

for as much backwards garbage folk beliefs the cpc got rid of you can only do so much especially with something that has been ingrained in society for thousands of years. traditional medicine is something that occurs around the world and for many is seen as a connection to one's culture.

The Party is actively promoting it though and you don't have "traditional medicine" as an alternative to actual healthcare in real countries. Traditional stuff as a connection to culture is just fine, except in this case it's actually killing people.

Also, why does every answer just keep repeating the same tired "US has this, US has that" mantra? This is the China thread where we're talking about China. Does really every single thing in the world have its origin in the US and the CIA?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Darkest Auer posted:

Does really every single thing in the world have its origin in the US and the CIA?

yes. That's what a hegemony is hth

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Acting really concerned about tcm is usually cover when people feel they cant openly say things like "these nongs are dumb and doing things wrong" hth2

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
The thing about organ harvesting is that it's not really in doubt.
Taking organs from prisoners has been in Chinese law since the 80s.
The government does not hide the fact that it takes organs from prisoners and admits it's where most of the organs for transplantation in China come from.
Chinese domestic media has even discussed it plenty.

I'm not surprised that Tankie News Today's illustrious reporters can't read Chinese and haven't even glanced at official Chinese government policy. The only thing in question here is if the government does in fact specifically target any group for imprisonment and subsequent organ harvesting. And if people are actually killed or allowed to die so that their organs can be harvested. But the idea that people die in Chinese prisons and have their organs taken away is not at all in question.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Ya but everything falun gong says should be taken into question

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

In the rush to harvest body parts, death investigations have been upended

quote:

The case is one of dozens of death investigations across the country, including more than two dozen in Los Angeles and San Diego counties, that The Times found were complicated or upended when transplantable body parts were taken before a coroner’s autopsy was performed.

In multiple cases, coroners have had to guess at the cause of death. Wrongful-death and medical malpractice lawsuits have been thwarted by early tissue harvesting. A death after a fight with police remains unsettled. The procurement process caused changes to bodies that medical examiners mistook as injuries or abuse. In at least one case, a murder charge was dropped.
To raise those numbers, California and other states over the last decade passed laws requiring coroners and medical examiners to “cooperate” with the companies to “maximize” the number of organs and tissues taken for transplant. Procurement companies’ lobbyists helped to write the legislation and push it into law.

In a handful of states the laws go even further, giving the companies the power to force coroners to delay autopsies until they have harvested the body parts.

Although the companies have emphasized organ transplants, in far more cases nationwide they harvested skin, bone, fat, ligaments and other tissues that are generally not used for life-threatening conditions. Those body parts fuel a booming industrial biotech market in which a half-teaspoon of ground-up human skin is priced at $434. That product is one of those used in cosmetic surgery to plump lips and posteriors, fill cellulite dimples and enhance penises. A single body can supply raw materials for products that sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
The county’s contract with OneLegacy does contain restrictions. Procurements from victims of suspected child abuse and officer-involved homicides must be approved by a senior morgue official.

Another notable contract exception: Donation is “generally unsuitable” in cases of media interest, including celebrity deaths.
In 2007, the year the laws passed in California and many other states, the procurement companies obtained just 2% of donors of bone, skin or other tissues through referrals by coroners and medical examiners, according to a survey by the American Assn. of Tissue Banks. Now, some companies report that a majority of their donors come from those being wheeled into the county morgue.

Mone, the CEO of OneLegacy, which operates in seven Southern California counties, said about 63% of organ donors and 51% of tissue donors came from the company’s partnerships with morgues in 2017.

“The law,” he said, “has been very beneficial.”
To increase the supply of harvested body parts, the companies have embedded procurement teams inside government morgues across the country.

Morgue officials at times give the corporate employees key cards so they can enter at any hour. The companies rent rooms inside the morgues, including suites where surgical teams harvest donors’ tissues.

In a growing number of counties nationwide, the companies can log into government computer files on the newly deceased, allowing them to swiftly find potential candidates for procurement.

In Michigan, a company called Gift of Life said donations of bone and other tissues soared after its foundation gave some coroner offices iPads loaded with special software to record details of a death at the scene, which are transmitted instantly to the company.

For several decades, federal rules have required hospitals to alert procurement companies when anyone dies inside their walls. With the new connections to government morgue computers, the companies also know immediately about deaths outside hospitals — and have contacted families when the body of a loved one is still at the scene, according to written complaints made to supervisors by morgue staff in Los Angeles and Tacoma, Wash.

“I was inside the residence performing my investigation and the family was standing by outside,” Kim Pavek, an L.A. County coroner investigator, wrote in an internal complaint about OneLegacy after a suicide in 2008. “The decedent’s mother asked me why someone from my office would call her cellphone during such a distraught time.... She explained to me that someone from OneLegacy said they were a representative from the coroner’s office inquiring about ‘donating parts.’ ”
Despite the limited review, The Times found more than two dozen cases in which the procurements made it harder to determine the cause of death. In many of those cases, coroners were unable to conclude either why or how the person died.

The cases included possible homicides, highway accidents, deaths after surgeries, a drug overdose, a suspected suicide and a death that followed a fight with a police officer. The deceased ranged from homeless people to members of wealthy families, although more were poor than rich. Most were middle-age or younger. One was a child.

In at least five cases, the documents show that companies harvested body parts without reporting what appeared to be a death from a crime, an accident or suicide to coroner officials. California law requires any person in charge of a body who has knowledge that the death may have been from unnatural causes to immediately alert the coroner.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Tom Smykowski posted:

Acting really concerned about tcm is usually cover when people feel they cant openly say things like "these nongs are dumb and doing things wrong" hth2

You can't really blame those nongs since it's the CCP denying them access to better care and information

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Darkest Auer posted:

You can't really blame those nongs since it's the CCP denying them access to better care and information
Theres regular hospitals and doctors all over the place though :confused:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Don't worry, all of humanity is dumb as poo poo

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I think the issue is treating the fake medical care issue as a uniquely chinese problem. I don't doubt that China probably has some issues regarding TCM, but governments all over seem to be having similar issues with varying levels of state support. Really, I guess it depends on why someone brings up the TCM topic in the first place.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Darkest Auer posted:

Also, why does every answer just keep repeating the same tired "US has this, US has that" mantra? This is the China thread where we're talking about China. Does really every single thing in the world have its origin in the US and the CIA?

Because the things you're pointing out as egregious aren't that weird, or egregious, and you've lived in similar your whole life and you're so used to the stink of living in poo poo--or didn't know how your countrymen live--you can't (or do not want to) notice it anymore. The US has a massive quack medicine industry and only doesn't promote it because the government hasn't actively promoted anything on purpose since the Great Society except cutting taxes on the rich, slashing benefits to the poor and giving handouts to corporations while invading 3rd world countries. There is no limit of issues or nations to bitch about, On Line, but you have a fuckin' wacky sense of focus.

gradenko_2000 posted:

yes. That's what a hegemony is hth

also this.

BrokenGameboy posted:

I think the issue is treating the fake medical care issue as a uniquely chinese problem. I don't doubt that China probably has some issues regarding TCM, but governments all over seem to be having similar issues with varying levels of state support. Really, I guess it depends on why someone brings up the TCM topic in the first place.

Yes.

Raptor1033 posted:

Yes.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Raptor1033 posted:

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm super smart and handsome.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
And don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You Adonis, you.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darkest Auer posted:

Does really every single thing in the world have its origin in the US and the CIA?

Everything after circa 1900 yeah. Have you been paying attention at all?

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BrokenGameboy posted:

And don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You Adonis, you.

:blush:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

looking at my notes here and whoa, buddy, marx has expressed a very strong preference for those institutions you are suicidal over

I said I was suicidal over the lovely choices, not the institution of voting, numbskull

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Darkest Auer posted:

we live in a society

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

clearly you missed the post earlier in the thread clarifying that the epoch times is actually one of the most trustworthy publications currently reporting on china
i have been informed by a goon in another venue of a reputable source of news on china
https://www.bellingcat.com/tag/china/

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
cupping therapy!?!? what is this witch-doctory-doo!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om6ifBwWLbE

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is that the weird thing michael phelps insists has let him maintain his high standard of athleticism

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Sophiemcneill/status/1183456461235486721
it's my understanding this is more like an idiom, and a better translation might be "attempts to split china will happen in a disastrous manner" or "will completely fail"

i've been reading the memoirs of peng dehuai, who led chinese forces in korea and was later purged by mao. wrote his memoirs in obscurity but was rehabilitated after his death by deng. he will sometimes use what i think are idioms when arguing on the pages with other senior communists who had attacked him, like "so-and-so better not make up lies... or he will fall down stairs and break his teeth!" it's somewhat amusing to read literally but i usually interpret it as saying like "sticks and stones may break my bones"

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 04:52 on Oct 14, 2019

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

im the dnd posters clutching their pearls when a head of state warns against sedition and balkanization

truly the inscrutable mind of the orient

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

https://twitter.com/Sophiemcneill/status/1183456461235486721
it's my understanding this is more like an idiom, and a better translation might be "attempts to split china will happen in a disastrous manner" or "will completely fail"

i've been reading the memoirs of peng dehuai, who led chinese forces in korea and was later purged by mao. wrote his memoirs in obscurity but was rehabilitated after his death by deng. he will sometimes use what i think are idioms when arguing on the pages with other senior communists who had attacked him, like "so-and-so better not make up lies... or he will fall down stairs and break his teeth!" it's somewhat amusing to read literally but i usually interpret it as saying like "sticks and stones may break my bones"

"If anyone", i.e. anyone who speaks Chinese lmao

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
how dare a state try to keep itself together!!!

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

lmao jfc these people are pathetic "waaaah our specialness!!!"

Not-So-Special Administrative Region

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
This thread (and I guess the DND thread moreso) is basically 80%ofwhitepeoplehavenononwhitefriends.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

CPC: "triggered much, snowflakes???"