Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
We're a growing region, okay.

Of people that can't afford to live near baltimore or dc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsathoggua
Apr 6, 2005
I am not eat breakfast food.
Holy poo poo. It was my last day today.

A month ago, I told the owner that the kitchen needed raises or a higher tipout (2% of food was wildly low). He agreed, then wanted to talk exact numbers. He's stalled or ghosted every single time we've set up a meeting, prompting me to give notice.

Yesterday, he decided to wear his underwear on his head and dance around for a table (who were quite upset).

Today, he reached into the line and grabbed "breakfast", involving a bunch of raw meat, ready-to-serve veggies, and cheeses, all bare-handed, chucking them all into a togo box. I had to ditch 6 deep 1/6th pans, right before brunch service.

Mid-service, he hands me two paycheques and told me he's buying me out of the last two weeks of my month-long notice, and that I shouldn't show up next week.

That place is going to crash and burn, and I'm drat glad it isn't my problem anymore.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I just have one question about that:

What?

Tsathoggua
Apr 6, 2005
They were tighty-whities.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

those checks are gonna bounce

Tsathoggua
Apr 6, 2005
Banking on that, yeah.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tsathoggua posted:

Holy poo poo. It was my last day today.

A month ago, I told the owner that the kitchen needed raises or a higher tipout (2% of food was wildly low). He agreed, then wanted to talk exact numbers. He's stalled or ghosted every single time we've set up a meeting, prompting me to give notice.

Yesterday, he decided to wear his underwear on his head and dance around for a table (who were quite upset).

Today, he reached into the line and grabbed "breakfast", involving a bunch of raw meat, ready-to-serve veggies, and cheeses, all bare-handed, chucking them all into a togo box. I had to ditch 6 deep 1/6th pans, right before brunch service.

Mid-service, he hands me two paycheques and told me he's buying me out of the last two weeks of my month-long notice, and that I shouldn't show up next week.

That place is going to crash and burn, and I'm drat glad it isn't my problem anymore.

So many questions. Main one: cocaine/alcohol?

Tsathoggua
Apr 6, 2005
Senility, I think. I was warned when I took the job that we was "an odd one", but there's too many warning signs for me to just shrug it off. He's north of 70, not sure how much older though. He's been in the industry for ~40 years, afaik.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, cash those checks immediately. Also had you put in a month's notice or was that his way of firing you? If it's the former and the checks don't bounce congrats on the paid vacation

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I really can't wait for this place to get their brewery license. I hate working behind the bar and want to get back to brewing. I suck at it and the panic attacks are zero fun.

My advice for getting into it is networking. Having a microbiology/biochem/food science background can really help get you in, especially in a larger production brewery. Also you can check job listings on ProBrewer.com

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Tsathoggua posted:

They were tighty-whities.

Absolutely horrifying, hopefully those checks don't bounce

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

If it were me, I'd probably go to his bank first thing in the morning and cash the check. There will likely be a small fee but gently caress it, $5 or whatever per check is better than nothing.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

At first I thought you were saying something like pants on head crazy. Then I realized that you meant it literally.

Tsathoggua
Apr 6, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, cash those checks immediately. Also had you put in a month's notice or was that his way of firing you? If it's the former and the checks don't bounce congrats on the paid vacation

Post-dated for regular paydays, so I can drop the first at midnight tonight, other one on the 29th.

I gave a month's notice, I wanted to be sure that my cooks had a stable changeover. After the past couple of weeks, I don't think that would be possible with a month anyways.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Tsathoggua posted:

Post-dated for regular paydays, so I can drop the first at midnight tonight, other one on the 29th.

I gave a month's notice, I wanted to be sure that my cooks had a stable changeover. After the past couple of weeks, I don't think that would be possible with a month anyways.

LOL
Let us know how that works out

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Just deposit at an ATM dude

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsathoggua posted:

Banking on that, yeah.

Did you go cash the checks then? Take the slight hit on the money and get cash in hand. So you already answered. But the sentiment stands.

My workplace, "to keep up with the market" of other hospitals in the area. Is going to $15/hr starting soon, for everyone. Facilities (maintenance), housekeeping, nurses, our servers and call center/order takers.

That'll be a dollar-ish raise for me. Still better money than I'd make any other restaurant in the area, especially for the general ease of the work 90% of the time. I just hope they're smart about it and do a proportionate raise for folk who've been working there longer. I'm not expecting it, but still hoping they won't be dumb about it.

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Tsathoggua posted:

I'd stop by his bank and try cashing them both anyway if you're worried about his cashflow for the next couple weeks. It varies by bank and state but typically postdating checks doesn't actually prevent them from being cashed before that date, especially if you didn't agree to honor the date. Unless he's given his bank advance notice not to honor postdated checks most banks will likely go ahead and process them immediately.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Why is FOH tipping the kitchen at all?

Also, 2% on a sales category is pretty hefty.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Why is FOH tipping the kitchen at all?

Also, 2% on a sales category is pretty hefty.

The kitchen makes the food, the same way servers tip out bartenders for making their drinks.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Yeah but its generally illegal

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What

It's illegal to FORCE servers to tip out, but encouraging isn't

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
That's different state to state I believe

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What

It's illegal to FORCE servers to tip out, but encouraging isn't

Per the FLSA you can only include non-customer-facing employees in a tip pool if you don't take the tipped wage credit for any employees. A few states that don't have a tipped minimum wage mean this is the default there.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs15.htm

https://www.dol.gov/whd/FieldBulletins/fab2018_3.htm

quote:

Amendment to FLSA Section 3(m) Included in Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018

This Field Assistance Bulletin (FAB) provides guidance concerning the Wage and Hour Division’s (WHD) enforcement of tip credit rules under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) after Congress amended the FLSA in the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018 (Act), Pub. L. No. 115-141, Div. S., Tit. XII, § 1201. The Act prohibits employers from keeping tips received by their employees, regardless whether the employer takes a tip credit under 29 U.S.C. § 203(m). The Act also provides that portions of WHD’s regulations codified at 29 C.F.R. §§ 531.52, 531.54, and 531.59 that barred tip pooling when employers pay tipped employees at least the full FLSA minimum wage and do not claim a tip credit shall have no further force or effect (until any future action by the WHD Administrator).1 WHD expects to proceed with rulemaking in the near future to fully address the impact of the 2018 amendments.2

In the meantime, given these developments, employers who pay the full FLSA minimum wage are no longer prohibited from allowing employees who are not customarily and regularly tipped—such as cooks and dishwashers—to participate in tip pools. The Act prohibits managers and supervisors from participating in tip pools, however, as the Act equates such participation with the employer’s keeping the tips.3 As an enforcement policy, WHD will use the duties test at 29 C.F.R. § 541.100(a)(2)-(4) to determine whether an employee is a manager or supervisor for purposes of section 3(m).

The Act also provides enforcement authority in FLSA sections 16(b) and 16(c) to, among other things, recover all tips unlawfully kept by the employer, in addition to an equal amount in liquidated damages. The Act further provides WHD with discretion to impose civil money penalties (CMPs) not to exceed $1,100 when employers unlawfully keep employee tips. In assessing CMPs, WHD will follow its normal procedures, including by determining whether the violation is repeated or willful.

Finally, given the above developments, WHD’s July 20, 2017 non-enforcement policy concerning retention of tips by tipped employees paid the full FLSA minimum wage will not apply to new investigations beginning on or after March 23, 2018. When an investigation covers periods before and after March 23, 2018, and the employee was paid at least the full FLSA minimum wage, violations of section 3(m) may only be cited if they occurred after March 23, 2018.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 15, 2019

Tsathoggua
Apr 6, 2005
Canada, Ontario, specifically.

https://www.ontario.ca/document/your-guide-employment-standards-act-0/tips-and-other-gratuities

quote:

Pooling of tips and other gratuities
An employer may withhold, or make a deduction from an employee’s tips or other gratuities, or require an employee to give them to the employer if the amount collected will be redistributed among some, or all, of the employer’s employees. This practice is commonly known as tip pooling.

A tip pool is a collection of employees’ tips that is redistributed by the employer among some or all employees. Tip outs are payments from one employee to another employee, generally by way of contributions to a tip pool and usually according to a formula established by the employer. Examples would be an employer requiring a server to "tip out" a busser or kitchen staff, one per cent of tips the server received or requiring a server to contribute the equivalent of two per cent of sales to a tip pool. That money is then distributed among several staff members.

Commonplace here to the point of asking how much the tipout for the kitchen is during a job interview, or even posted in the ad for the job.

Generally, the places with reasonable tipouts also have BoH do mild barback duties, make bar syrups, etc etc.

Note that locally, minumum wage is 14CAD, and minimum tipped server wage "liquor servers minumum wage" is 12.20CAD.

E: for clarity

Tsathoggua fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 15, 2019

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, industry standard tipout in southern Ontario is generally about 5% (3% BOH, 1% bar, 1% support is pretty common) of total sales, so 2% just on food sales is pretty low. The government also smartened up a few years back and made the laws so that only people actually doing the same work as staff that are in the tip pool can receive any tip money, so no more owners taking a cut, or management taking 2% off the top while they spent all day in the office (though they can take a share if they spent their shift also serving tables/working expo/etc). My last couple places the BOH (everyone from cooks to dishwashers) had their tipout end up by being about an additional $1.50-$2/hour, until my last place had the entire service staff vote to double their BOH tipout so it ended up by being more like $3.50/hour.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Resting Lich Face posted:

At airport getting a bite to eat before my flight. Guy being massive cock to the waiter because he apparently missed his flight and thinks it gives him the right to act that way.

:argh:

Didn't get to finish this story because crap cell signal and busy travel weekend. I figured you guys would enjoy hearing how the story ended. Anyway the waiter is an old hand and gave dickhead terrible service. He arrived right when I did and I was settling my check by the time he got his food. I hope it was cold, or ruined by the heat lamp at expo. Or both.

And no the place wasn't busy so it was certainly intentional.

Be nice to your waiter or your lunch will be cold and your beer foamy.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 15, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Naelyan posted:

Yeah, industry standard tipout in southern Ontario is generally about 5% (3% BOH, 1% bar, 1% support is pretty common) of total sales, so 2% just on food sales is pretty low. The government also smartened up a few years back and made the laws so that only people actually doing the same work as staff that are in the tip pool can receive any tip money, so no more owners taking a cut, or management taking 2% off the top while they spent all day in the office (though they can take a share if they spent their shift also serving tables/working expo/etc). My last couple places the BOH (everyone from cooks to dishwashers) had their tipout end up by being about an additional $1.50-$2/hour, until my last place had the entire service staff vote to double their BOH tipout so it ended up by being more like $3.50/hour.

Even if owners or managers are waiting tables they absolutely shouldn't get a cut of the tip pool. BOH tip outs are fine and good

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I just dealt with 5 catering orders in one day, while also having the restaurant open to walk in and phone orders. Both of our new hires didn't show up and we're hosed. I stopped at my neighborhood bar to get a gin and tonic and one of my old academic advisors made me cry about how I haven't been able to find work HAHAHAHAHA I'm a bitch and I wish I was loving dead.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tonight was fun at the hospital.

Our computers went down about 5:15, when dinner orders start at 4, and pick up about 5. So our call center had to take orders by hand and bring them out for us. The system came back about 6:40 or so, and dinner service officially ends at 7. We managed, and thankfully the count was low (our capacity is like, 240 beds or so, the count was 155, average is 180.) So, that was all kinds of Fun. We managed, and I got out only about 20 minutes late, even with taking orders late.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Oh god there's nothing worse to hear when working foodservice than "the computer is down". Giving me flashbacks. Euuugh. Treat yourself with some better than usual after work booze.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Resting Lich Face posted:

Oh god there's nothing worse to hear when working foodservice than "the computer is down". Giving me flashbacks. Euuugh. Treat yourself with some better than usual after work booze.

I haven't worked in kitchen with printers in eight years, and I still wake up in a cold sweat sometimes because I think I hear them.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7TmDCK-B4Q

The sound of hatred and evil.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

JFC that feeling when you know it’s going to be a huge order and it just won’t stop printing.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

HAha yeah.

The first second doesn't even register

Second second: must be someone picky

Third second: wow big order

Fourth second: ...

Fifth second: :suicide:

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWPz0XQrpjU

Click to be transported to hell

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

I deserve this for posting the first one.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Even if owners or managers are waiting tables they absolutely shouldn't get a cut of the tip pool. BOH tip outs are fine and good

Eh, it depends on the circumstances. I'm generally pretty ok with a manager who's scheduled on a serving shift and doing nothing but actually serving getting their tips/their split (if it's shared tips). But I was mostly just stating how the law is written where I (and Tsathoggua, who started the conversation) work.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Thanks for the anxiety attack, I'm going to send this to all my work friends so that I will no longer have work friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Naelyan posted:

Eh, it depends on the circumstances. I'm generally pretty ok with a manager who's scheduled on a serving shift and doing nothing but actually serving getting their tips/their split (if it's shared tips). But I was mostly just stating how the law is written where I (and Tsathoggua, who started the conversation) work.

Owners, no. They make money off the operation of the establishment. If they want to save on labor by taking shifts, sure. If it's a restaurant and they take a section, then they keep their own tips and contribute their tipouts like any server, but they don't take part in any pool.

Management - it's a very hard maybe, and it really comes down to how they're compensated (salary or hourly) and what their primary responsibility is. A GM who's paid salary to oversee operations, and is compensated based on keeping costs (including product and labor) down? No, that's double dipping. A bar manager who's hourly, but has additional responsibility outside of service hours for inventory, interviewing candidates, ordering, etc? Sure. But when they're serving/bartending, that is their job.