Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
You need to insulate the oil tank, atleast 2 insulated tiles thick from where it's gaining heat. Mouse over the tiles until you find the high temp tiles. It's probably going to keep gaining temperature unless you do.

I tried to get rid of a Sporechild plant by drowning it and I ended up with a bunch of zombie spore infected water. I then decided to get rid of the water by dropping the water into magma.

That created zombie spore infected steam and to get rid of the steam I created a geothermal plant. I've used the geothermal plant to process almost an entire glacier into water so far.

Still haven't got arround to trying to build a petrol boiler and it's crazy how fast you can cool down magma.

axelord fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Demon_Corsair posted:

Trying out ranching hatches for food instead of farming at the start of the game, and drat this is stressful. On the edge of starvation all the time. I should have more then enough hatches, but I am in constant food shortage.

One thing that is probably good right now but I need to fix is that any time there is a new egg it goes straight to the egg cracker instead of topping up the incubator to keep replenishing my population. Incubator is priority 8 and egg cracker is priority 6, so I'm not sure what else I can do other then maybe add another rancher so they can get to the eggs before a supply dupe does?

What kind of task is moving a wrangled critter? I'm trying to move a hatch and my rancher comes and wrangles it immediately, then it just sits long enough that it comes unwrangled.

What I usually do is have a 32x3 ranch with a critter drop off set at maximum 7 critters. Two feeders; one with sand for regular hatches and one with igneous for stone ones. It's at 7 so the hatches will lay eggs. I keep an eye on it and sweep the eggs into a storage container outside of the ranch. That size room limits to...9, I want to say, and it counts as "full" if the count is critters and eggs. If you get rid of them they no longer count. If you leave the eggs in the storage container they'll eventually break into eggs you can make omelettes out of. It's kind of tedious at first but manually sweep the eggs into a sweep only storage container then disable and reenable critter eggs. That dumps the eggs out and they lay there. Then you let them hatch. If you keep anything they'll eat away they'll eventually starve to death. Otherwise just attack them. That or put the storage container in a drowning pool and dump the eggs into water that way. There's a bunch of different ways to do it. If 7 hatches aren't enough I'll make another room to get it to 14.

Later on I'll make smaller rooms that fit two hatches each and use autosweepers to haul the eggs away.

Griz
May 21, 2001

My Spirit Otter posted:

And how do I get food poisoning out of my terlets?

if your toilets/sinks are on a separate loop, it doesn't matter if their water is germy.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Thanks.

And having somehow just discovered you can grow red fibre, I've started a new game for maximum efficiency.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The bottle emptier menu is weird - it has all these checkboxes for every liquid, and your dupes can tell by sight whether water is "polluted" or but, but the first thing you run into where you probably want to differentiate bottled fluids is germy vs not germy (polluted) water, and the bottle emptier is useless there.

I get germs out of liquids with a chlorine room. You might call it an exploit but germs in a liquid reservoir are considered to be touching the surrounding environment. I filled a room with 8 connected reservoirs with chlorine, make pipes leading in and out, then seal it, and generally anything I pump in there will be germs free by the time it gets out. (I added a shutoff so I could toggle it into two independent groups of 4 in case I needed concurrency.) I haven't automated it for my toilets, I way overbuilt my toilet tank such that it's only a third full after 1000 cycles, but it's nice for when I accidentally get food poisoning somewhere it's not supposed to be, or for zombie spore crude.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
If you meter the outflow so the input tank never empties, you can perfectly sterilize polluted or clean water with 3 reservoirs in series in a chlorine room.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You can also use automation

insta
Jan 28, 2009

CainFortea posted:

You can also use automation

Actually this might solve the current problem I have, which is to use an auto-refilling pipe loop to keep water circulating around but allowing for up to 10kg/s outflow.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

insta posted:

Actually this might solve the current problem I have, which is to use an auto-refilling pipe loop to keep water circulating around but allowing for up to 10kg/s outflow.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811449&userid=66338&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post497721034

This is the post and picture explaining my setup.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I have a plan for my current base. So far I'm 60ish cycles in and my main base consists of bedrooms, 20 planters, kitchen, bathroom, research centre and large clean and polluted reservoirs. It has one entrance and is currently being surrounded by 2 layers of insulated tile, a 2 tile air gap and then 2 more rows of insulated tile.

Anything else will be built in the hellmix and will require suits.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Hit 666 hours in this game today.

Me addicted? Unpossible!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Assuming you keep your restroom time confined to the same general time periods per assigned shift, you can distill the automation loop for purifying water down to a single liquid reservoir in chlorine, a powered airlock built under it, and a clock sensor. Set the clock sensor to open the door from like 95% to 60% of the cycle, and close the door for the remainder. While the door is open the liquid cannot leave the reservoir, and gets cleaned by the chlorine. Chlorine murders germs fast enough that you can wipe out ~500k germs in 15-30 seconds. Once the clock hits the closed part, the water should be clean, as it flows out to the pipes to your bathrooms or even a water cooler, espresso machine or nearby storage tank.

You can see the 600kg of clean water in the tank at less than halfway through the "open" cycle here:

The water during the "closed" cycle:

And the clock setup here:

The second reservoir doesn't actually serve any purpose now that I'm sure the water is clean, I just dump the excess into the holding tank directly below to feed my oxyferns.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 10, 2019

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
If packets come infrequently another easy way is to use a germ sensor and a buffer gate. Whenever you sense germs, activate the buffer gate. The buffer gate should open the door under the reservoir long enough to ensure disinfection. This lets you get away with 1 reservoir.

I never do this, I typically use a 3 or 4 reservoir setup as the extra material cost is insignificant. 3 reservoirs can handle just under 10kg/s of disinfection, to properly handle a full 10kg/s you typically need a 4th with the designs I'm familiar. Many of the 3 reservoir designs I've seen are actually faulty mind you - due to not factoring the time it takes for doors to open and close if a packet arrives at the wrong time a germy packet will get through. The automation does get a little more complicated, but nothing close to the real world problems I deal with.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 10, 2019

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

How do I create mods for this game? The Professional Attire Mod looks super adorable but I'm assuming because the creator made them all have different stats and stuff that it no longer works with the current version and the creator has apparently vanished off of steam.

I just want more outfits for my dupes :(

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Turns out molten iron waterfalls 200 tiles high can heat up a lot of oxygen really fast.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 10, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Thread's dead so I figured I'd add some of the new rooms; hopefully we'll get another patch or DLC news soon to liven this thread up.

Starting ranching my shine bugs in a proper area, I figured with the tooltip rework solar panels actually required space but nope, still works:

They only produce a tiny amount of power (like 5-10w per bug) but it's still a nice addition for what's essentially zero effort, also they can power multiple panels at the same time if they fly in the right areas. They have to stay happy to shine so it's not tremendously useful unless you somehow multiply wild ones up into the hundreds.

--

New little ethanol production area, basically trying to make a closed curcuit system by incorporating pips and pokeshells to make dirt/sand. Eventually when I get around to getting some slicksters the bottom was going to turn the CO2 into petroleum but for now I'm just destroying it via skimmers, might just pump it into the holding tank instead to save some power. I used ice tempshift it get the temperature primed which is where all the cold clean water came from. Worked well.

4 AETNs in a room full of hot oil is an interesting mix, they get really cold but it's like a perpetual game of tug-of-war along those tempshift.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 14, 2019

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I'm still around. I play this loving game about three hours a day on average.

I have two colonies in progress right now. One at 1600 cycles on Volcanea, one at 600 cycles on Badlands. Both reasonably sustained, neither in space.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I spend 3 hours every day repeatedly reconstructing my automation wires melted by my stupid rocket ship, personally

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

insta posted:

I'm still around. I play this loving game about three hours a day on average.

I have two colonies in progress right now. One at 1600 cycles on Volcanea, one at 600 cycles on Badlands. Both reasonably sustained, neither in space.

1400 here, still not in space either. Something about it doesn’t really interest me but I expect to go up there anyway once I strip mine the entire asteroid.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I launched some steam rockets. Petrol rocket research is done but I'm kind of aghast at all my haphazard wiring and piping. I get frustrated with every new line but it's so hard to fix it live. Really not looking forward to digging out a column to hide heaviwatt in going all the way to the surface. Also I gotta build the generator to do something with all this ethanol, but ugg the co2 production. Maybe I'll just space it and treat distillers as a power negative dirt producer. I guess I also gotta set up sustainable petroleum, which will mean shipping water from all the way up at the surface all the way to the oil biome.

I really want my bunker doors to be powered by solar panels but it's just too many batteries.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I always end up getting frustrated and quitting around 200-300 cycles in. Usually because I didn't handle the heat on my crops, or too much gas pressure and I can't produce petroleum so then my generators starve, and my base dies.

Yet I have over 400 hours played.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

As a curiosity, anyone manage to make a 3-electrolyzer system that only uses 6 pumps? I copied Mazz and managed to adapt it to do 2 electrolyzers, 5 pumps, but I couldn't manage to get 3 of them to work with just one hydrogen pump.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

As a curiosity, anyone manage to make a 3-electrolyzer system that only uses 6 pumps? I copied Mazz and managed to adapt it to do 2 electrolyzers, 5 pumps, but I couldn't manage to get 3 of them to work with just one hydrogen pump.

Technically you need 6 oxygen pumps anyway since you're at 2640 g/s of O2 from 3 electrolyzers but yeah you start to run into space/volume problems with 3 electrolyzers on one hydrogen pump unless you do some kind of pyramid intake which will probably still break via gas movement. Basically any freedom you give the gas to move is likely to bite you in the rear end eventually if you're shooting for max efficiency, so finding a perfect solution will be tough.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I'm okay with running slightly less than 100% uptime, I already have excess oxygen, but it'd be cool to make it work. Just a thought.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I'm okay with running slightly less than 100% uptime, I already have excess oxygen, but it'd be cool to make it work. Just a thought.

One possible solution is build the 3 pump setup as I have it, but wire each of the hydrogen pumps up to AND gates that require the standard atmo sensor and a clock sensor so they run 33/66/99 of each cycle. This should reduce your power load to the equivalent of 1 running pump at given point but should still handle roughly the same volume of hydrogen and not waste any via tile traps. The only question is if the downtime on the pumps is enough to throw off the hydrogen pressure balance. 2 pumps at 50/50 might be preferable here.

You could theoretically do this for the oxygen pumps too but I doubt you could solve the pressure problems from this nearly as easily.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 14, 2019

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mazz posted:

Starting ranching my shine bugs in a proper area, I figured with the tooltip rework solar panels actually required space but nope, still works:

They only produce a tiny amount of power (like 5-10w per bug) but it's still a nice addition for what's essentially zero effort, also they can power multiple panels at the same time if they fly in the right areas. They have to stay happy to shine so it's not tremendously useful unless you somehow multiply wild ones up into the hundreds.

Ahhahahah ahahahahaa

Have you seen this infinisun post on the official forums? Scale that poo poo up a bit.

Like so:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Ambaire posted:

Ahhahahah ahahahahaa

Have you seen this infinisun post on the official forums? Scale that poo poo up a bit.

Does it still work? I was under the impression that kind of egg production involves tamed shine bugs and since the eggs are tamed they don’t emit light when glum. That chain is from July so I don’t remember if that pre or post ranch fix or if that matters. I might be overthinking that though, a critical mass of bugs and it works regardless if they stay happy long enough to matter.

Either way I wasn’t really going for some crazy power emitting setup, just actual 96 tile ranches for each type of bug that produced power as a side note. You can see the 6 incubators with the different egg types in the shot there, including abyss which don’t make any light.

If it still works by dumping excess ranch eggs in there that is indeed pretty cool. I’ll play around with that today since I produce a comical amount of shine bug eggs now.

Side note, when I used to look at the reddit/forums for stuff that Lifegrow guy was an arthmoor level douche at times so I don't give him a lot of credit, that math guy has some crazy good ideas though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 14, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Looks like it's using salt water to isolate the bugs so has to be kinda recent.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I'm still playing every day! It's cycle ~370 and I've got 2 of 3 monument sections built, there's a very basic transit tube network, and I've built a room with a hole into space (which I use to vent chlorine). This is by far my longest and most successful run. Feels nice, but oh God there's still so much left to do.

The glass and steel requirements mean I've got to build a reliable coolant-delivery system, which is a project I've been putting off for a while but I think it's time to finally tackle head-on. After that my power infrastructure could use a revamp, and after that maybe start working with conveyor belts.

And I can't believe I still have the whole rocket game ahead of me.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Sent my first rocket to space yesterday. Yay. I guess.

Gotta research last bits of of space stuff. How big of a ball ache is making liquid hydrogen and oxygen going to be?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I’m making liquid oxygen for the first time right now. It’s kind of annoying but not that bad. You need to use gas coolers to do it, because the AETN can’t go cold enough. Just pipe a bunch of cool hydrogen through your cooling room, then send it through a bunch of thermo regulators in a cooled environment (I’m using an AETN but you could probably make the regulators out of steel and cool it with a steam turbine).

It’s probably easier with space materials, but oxylite is annoying to deal with so I want to do it early.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
On my last colony, I shuttled back and forth from my first two asteroids which had fullerene, and started with a bit of super coolant through an aquatuner.

I built a metal tile box in space, tempshift plates, and radiant pipes through the plates and primed the room with a bit of oxygen, then just let the room cool down to negative whatever. Building the chamber in space really really helps keeping the temperature stable. (Or in a vacuum)

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Well so much for my first base. It was going well at the end, but I was having trouble with an automation so I thought I’d pop in to a new game and test it out in sandbox mode.... aaaand now I’m at cycle 35 in a new base on volcanea.

I really like how it has pockets of space biome down in the middle of the asteroid. In the early game where I don’t have steam turbines yet, it’s nice being able to dump all my hot liquid and gas in the hole.

I did have a shove vole get in the base since there was no abyssalite layer, but it wasn’t too bad.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Hamelekim posted:

I always end up getting frustrated and quitting around 200-300 cycles in. Usually because I didn't handle the heat on my crops, or too much gas pressure and I can't produce petroleum so then my generators starve, and my base dies.

Yet I have over 400 hours played.

This is pretty much me in a nutshell. I love this game and I no joke play it for about an hour or so every night but I have never touched the space stuff.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I feel like my life is split in two now, into Before and After I learned about ranching's capabilities.

Who needs a cooling system when you can just feed rocks to a critter and bypass higher tier manufacturing?

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

I'm almost 300 cycles into my third try. I have a manufactured cooling loop, SPOM, and a captured cool steam vent that feeds the SPOM. But my play style is that I quickly make prototypes for new projects without necessarily cleaning up what I have. So I have eg. pockets of chlorine/hydrogen everywhere. Been focusing on stabilizing a small space solar array. Building in space takes. so. much. time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I do make a point of having the dupe tube travel system set up to get anything done in space. The travel time is killer and that helps a lot.

Also, deconstruct stuff in the space office building. The windows alone are 400kg of free steel each.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Yeah, I should really get off my rear end and manufacture some plastics, but that generates a lot of heat. Guess I gotta extend my cooling loop.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Glossy Dreckos are superior in every way for plastic production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I dunno, glossy dreckos are kind of a pain in the rear end in their own way. More labor-intensive too.

I think they're still good but they don't make a plastic press pointless or anything like that.

In other news, my attempt at making a magma-powered steam turbine sucks rear end. I'm literally running three aquatuners full tilt in order to keep my four turbines cool, which is... not a net positive for power. (I'm using a petroleum loop.) I'm deleting a lot of heat though, you're mine magma biome!! I think I need to just stop being cheap and use insulated ceramic tiles to separate the steam chamber from the turbines; I'm using insulated igneous rock right now because I don't actually have much ceramic, but the tiles are 104C and climbing, so it's not exactly a wild success.

Game is hard.