Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Surely there's some extenuating circumstances, you don't just cover 43 points in a wave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183524771734183936

eat poo poo fucker. you let this happen. now loving lay it.

Turkey is recruiting them you fat orange fucker

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Surely there's some extenuating circumstances, you don't just cover 43 points in a wave

Especially since we lost a lot of ground in other ways.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

theflyingorc posted:

The extenuating circumstance is that there wasn’t a Republican running.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/12/us/elections/results-louisiana-primary-elections.html

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Heh, serial killers get jailed the second they're found. God this man pisses me off so much. One of the few people in existance that can enrage me to the point I want to pin him to the floor and tickle the poo poo out of him

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

SocketWrench posted:

I like this one better, it's not so blatantly "tug on imaginary bootstraps"
https://www.businessinsider.com/how...ZqmzC5iXUzY-p6A

I don't know if I'm getting wooshed, but this is the one where her mother gets her a job as a manager then gives her a free condo, and they decide to rent out the condo and live with their grandparents rent-free instead so she can buy more rental properties.

"Horton has a simple message: 'I just want them to feel empowered that they can pay if off. If I can do it, anybody can.'"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Amazing that all these tales of paying down debt involve 5+ steps, four and a half of which are totally unattainable, rather than what everyone assumed would be the step when they were looking at colleges: work and pay it off.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Phenotype posted:

I don't know if I'm getting wooshed, but this is the one where her mother gets her a job as a manager then gives her a free condo, and they decide to rent out the condo and live with their grandparents rent-free instead so she can buy more rental properties.

"Horton has a simple message: 'I just want them to feel empowered that they can pay if off. If I can do it, anybody can.'"

Well, see, if you're just given everything you can totally pay your debts off. I don't understand why everyone doesn't do this.

If anything that story proves just because you went to college you can still be a moron

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I feel like it is notable that a Republican wasn't running in a district that Trump won by 43 points.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

thewalk posted:

I earn several million a year.

You should get banned every single day in order to proportionally support the forums.

You don't even have an avatar or platinum

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Phenotype posted:

Horton didn't pay off poo poo, his grandparents did.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183500215241859073

curious to know what he was watching on FOX when he rage tweeted this

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1183460695578415106

ruining your harvest to own the libs

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

It’s a Straussian comment on the electoral college. Support and enthusiasm is not related to people but to an unpopulated swath of land drowning in chemicals.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Stereotype posted:

You should get banned every single day in order to proportionally support the forums.

You don't even have an avatar or platinum

People still responding to the obvious troll? His first post on his account was from March 2018 on the diet and exercise megathread, where he stated he "cant afford healthcare to see a doctor or therapist".

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483424&pagenumber=1487&perpage=40#post482236115

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

LegendaryFrog posted:

People still responding to the obvious troll? His first post on his account was from March 2018 on the diet and exercise megathread, where he stated he "cant afford healthcare to see a doctor or therapist".

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483424&pagenumber=1487&perpage=40#post482236115

OP just pulled themselves up by the bootstraps and became a billionaire

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

RandomBlue posted:

9% of Obama voters are misogynists, 5% of Romney voters aren't insane/racist/misogynist/dumb enough to vote for Trump. It's really not that hard.

Whenever people talk about Obama>Trump voters, they usually leave off how the polling showed they were mostly lifelong Republicans who swung to Obama since Bush had hosed up so badly, Obama was incredibly charming and ran on a really centrist/bipartisan platform, and at the time right-wing media hadn't really spun up the proper smears against him yet since Fox and such been geared toward campaigning against Clinton until late in the primary. A lot of them were probably also misogynists, but even that aside absolutely every reason they voted for Obama was gone in 2016.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
LOL

https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/1183581152235401216

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Killer robot posted:

Whenever people talk about Obama>Trump voters, they usually leave off how the polling showed they were mostly lifelong Republicans who swung to Obama since Bush had hosed up so badly, Obama was incredibly charming and ran on a really centrist/bipartisan platform, and at the time right-wing media hadn't really spun up the proper smears against him yet since Fox and such been geared toward campaigning against Clinton until late in the primary. A lot of them were probably also misogynists, but even that aside absolutely every reason they voted for Obama was gone in 2016.

If they were willing to change their votes because of Bush's fuckups, why wouldn't they change for Trump's?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Charlz Guybon posted:

If they were willing to change their votes because of Bush's fuckups, why wouldn't they change for Trump's?

Ask again in 2021. In 2016 he had never been President.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The economy lighting on fire in 2008 was orders of magnitude harder to ignore, in terms of actually impacting your life, than anything Trump has done so far though.

“You” is of course a relatively low information white voter here.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Kill Bristol posted:

The economy lighting on fire in 2008 was orders of magnitude harder to ignore, in terms of actually impacting your life, than anything Trump has done so far though.

I don't know if you've been watching economic indicators, but the only thing stopping the economy from lighting on fire right now is the fact that it hasn't realized it's on fire yet.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Kill Bristol posted:

Totally off topic, but as someone who lived in Bristol, UK, your username could not not be more wrong. Long live Bristol! (It’s a very cool city and worth visiting if you end up in the UK)

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

SocketWrench posted:

I like this one better, it's not so blatantly "tug on imaginary bootstraps"
https://www.businessinsider.com/how...ZqmzC5iXUzY-p6A

I like that one, very subtly slipped in "got a free condo".

There should be a database of these articles

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

bird cooch posted:

I don't know if you've been watching economic indicators, but the only thing stopping the economy from lighting on fire right now is the fact that it hasn't realized it's on fire yet.

Everyone has realized it but This Is Fine.jpg

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

trey gowdy looks like a cenobite from hellraiser.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

thewalk posted:

The american dream isnt dead. Many people break through into the upper levels at a much higher % than else where in the world

Heard this a lot from successful 1st gen and even 2nd gen immigrants to America, UK, etc.

The issue is that while a lot of immigrants do work crazy hard, most still don't succeed. Like everything else, it's a risk thing: you might up your odds of success by going full on with business ventures but you also up your odds of cataclysmic failure and poverty.

That said, the "nothing to lose" mentality is powerful, but not necessarily praiseworthy. It seems kind of messed up that we live in a world where rags to riches stories are principally a function of exposing yourself to ruinous levels of financial risk.

Nobody ever talks about the people who take the huge risks and fail, but statistically that is 90% of entrepeneurs.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Helith posted:

Totally off topic, but as someone who lived in Bristol, UK, your username could not not be more wrong. Long live Bristol! (It’s a very cool city and worth visiting if you end up in the UK)

Why would you name a city after a stool chart? :smugmrgw:

It’s not like they can sell any of their crops anyways since Trump’s tariffs have hosed farmers over raw and they’re all permanent“welfare queens” at this point.

May as well carve out the 2019 equivalent of a giant swastika in your yard to let the Black and Hispanic people flying over that they’re not welcome in your lifeless rural hellhole, I guess. It’s not like it’s helping the Nazi anyways.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

So much for that "empty land can't vote" talking point for electoral college abolition

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Purple Prince posted:

Heard this a lot from successful 1st gen and even 2nd gen immigrants to America, UK, etc.

The issue is that while a lot of immigrants do work crazy hard, most still don't succeed. Like everything else, it's a risk thing: you might up your odds of success by going full on with business ventures but you also up your odds of cataclysmic failure and poverty.

That said, the "nothing to lose" mentality is powerful, but not necessarily praiseworthy. It seems kind of messed up that we live in a world where rags to riches stories are principally a function of exposing yourself to ruinous levels of financial risk.

Nobody ever talks about the people who take the huge risks and fail, but statistically that is 90% of entrepeneurs.

The whole purpose of this story is to blame the poor for not trying hard enough. If anyone can make it to the top then you only have yourself to blame if you don't!

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

You know, I've been thinking - forget any call where cheeto benito makes a quid pro quo or whatever as being the most damning. Imagine if audio of the call where he gets rolled by Erdogan comes out and he is not shown to be master dealmaker...

wait no chuds would find a way to blame Rachel Maddow

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

The whole purpose of this story is to blame the poor for not trying hard enough. If anyone can make it to the top then you only have yourself to blame if you don't!

Yeah but I've been in startups long enough that I know how risk, connections, and privilege tie into this narrative.

Most serious business founders work hard and are smart (or at least have some savvy). Nonetheless only 10% of businesses survive their 2nd year, and fewer still manage to make their founders the kind of money to really go from rags to riches.

The narrative isn't just "not left wing enough", it requires business and financial illiteracy to buy into.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183702529403695104

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

RandomBlue posted:

The last major conflict I recall that wasn't US vs someone else was Bosnia in the 90's. The last 20 years it's been us vs. Afghanistan & Iraq.

The 2014-15 period of the Donbass conflict in Ukraine featured Russian armored units engaging Ukrainian ones.

In fact that phase of the conflict is a good read into what a modern 21st century combat against peer opponents where neither side has air superiority looks like.
In particular, artillery is more accurate and deadly than ever

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelenopillya_rocket_attack

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

god i hate religious reactionaries. brutish loving animals. all they know how to do is break and hurt. too bad trump is cool with them since they support him and vote for him and than he helps the ones in other countries hurt more people.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

thewalk posted:

The american dream isnt dead. Many people break through into the upper levels at a much higher % than else where in the world

This is wildly untrue. Despite the mythology of the american dream, the US is consistently one of the western countries in the world with the lowest economic and social mobility (inter-generational) and has been for quite a while. Good on you for making it to the top though, bad on you for wanting pulling the ladder up behind you, via pretending it's people's own fault when practically all cross country comparisons clearly demonstrates that it's a structural problem.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

This is all over the place to the point where it's got to be genuine Donny brand tweet, but holy poo poo the Kurds deliberately releasing ISIS prisoners to get the US involved?

This is some next-level evil poo poo. Go defend the border against active attack or guard this prisoner.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Purple Prince posted:

Most serious business founders work hard and are smart (or at least have some savvy). Nonetheless only 10% of businesses survive their 2nd year, and fewer still manage to make their founders the kind of money to really go from rags to riches.

And sometimes those businesses succeed in spite of the founders being anything but hard working and smart. Dumb luck plays a pretty big part in that success as well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183709210602823680

keep digging that grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Revelation 2-13 posted:

This is wildly untrue. Despite the mythology of the american dream, the US is consistently one of the western countries in the world with the lowest economic and social mobility (inter-generational) and has been for quite a while. Good on you for making it to the top though, bad on you for wanting pulling the ladder up behind you, via pretending it's people's own fault when practically all cross country comparisons clearly demonstrates that it's a structural problem.

thewalk is a rereg of a banned troll who should not be taken seriously. They are undoubtedly full of poo poo.