Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jedit posted:

Why was the SNP women's rights meeting not advertised?

Pretty sure it’s because it’s actually the transphobe meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

Extreme angry bald man energy

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Part of the outrage about say, sentencing for rape or sexual assault isn't that it isn't rehabilitating the abusers - it's that it's letting of abusers "too lightly". That even if it's best for the perpetrators better functioning in society in the future for a light sentence to be given for sexual assault, it is wrong to do so - that it is unjust to the victim. If we only imprisoned people to rehabilitate them, they'd be some violent criminals we release imminently since the risk of reoffending is so low.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I really hate that at some point in the last 5 years I went from just assuming a "women's rights" meeting was obviously a good thing to now where I instantly assume it's anti-trans bigots.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

forkboy84 posted:

I really hate that at some point in the last 5 years I went from just assuming a "women's rights" meeting was obviously a good thing to now where I instantly assume it's anti-trans bigots.

Equality!

Men's Rights has been trash forever so it's great that women are on the same level now :)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I love that I'm supposed to read this and think it's a bad thing, I'd love it if Big John was leader.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Part of the outrage about say, sentencing for rape or sexual assault isn't that it isn't rehabilitating the abusers - it's that it's letting of abusers "too lightly". That even if it's best for the perpetrators better functioning in society in the future for a light sentence to be given for sexual assault, it is wrong to do so - that it is unjust to the victim. If we only imprisoned people to rehabilitate them, they'd be some violent criminals we release imminently since the risk of reoffending is so low.
The other part of the outrage is that it assumes that the offender is this atomized individual who does nothing but offend, their presence in society has been reduced to the thing that they did.

Which places particular strain on marginalized families when the offender is someone within the family, because it puts them in the double bind where if they report the person, they lose someone who is also providing for the family, but if they don't, it encourages the person to believe that they have immunity to continue.

That's why restorative justice is taking off in some quarters for dealing with these types of issues, it doesn't involve court cases and lawyers and mass public disclosure, it doesn't mean prison, but it also means making reparation and making clear that it was unacceptable conduct.

It's also better at resolving issues with the abysmal conviction rate, but people who like dividing the world into "those that done it and want hanging" and "good lads who meant well" hate it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ronya posted:

Sentencing is not, in fact, just about harm reduction; some amount of vengeance and dignity for victims, and removal of criminals from streets, are both established and generally legitimate parts of the process (these would be the "retribution" and "incapacitation" parts of the system)

But long sentences are a bad method of incapacitation too. You're spending tons of money to just sideline the issue for a while without actually doing anything about the problem, and then sentence is up and you throw an institutionalised and probably socially-nonfunctional person back onto the streets with no support. It's almost designed to maximise recidivism.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

But long sentences are a bad method of incapacitation too. You're spending tons of money to just sideline the issue for a while without actually doing anything about the problem, and then sentence is up and you throw an institutionalised and probably socially-nonfunctional person back onto the streets with no support. It's almost designed to maximise recidivism.

Yeah, but it polls well so actually that's all that matters.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The Lone Badger posted:

It's not almost designed to maximise recidivism, it IS designed to maximise recidivism, because for profit prisons are a thing that, horrifyingly, exists, and this kind of doctrine comes from them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Did anyone else get made to watch the state opening of parliament in school? Have memories of being a restless 10 year old having to sit through this interminable old fashioned ceremony to show us how great our democracy is. Clearly it worked.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

I love that I'm supposed to read this and think it's a bad thing, I'd love it if Big John was leader.

It's also hilarious that it's acting like Big John and Jezza have different circles to any significant extent.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Good moooorning

quote:

It was a gathering to mark Extinction Rebellion’s week of disruption. The group is asking people... to ‘take two weeks off work’ and join the revolt against the ‘climate and ecological crisis’. You can tell who they’re trying to appeal to. Working-class people and the poor of New Delhi, Mumbai and Cape Town – some of the cities in which Extinction Rebellion will be causing disruption – of course cannot afford to take two weeks off work. But then, these protests aren’t for those people. In fact, they’re against those people...

people of a leftist persuasion... will cheer this eco-death cult when it demands a virtual halt to economic growth with not a single thought for the devastating, immiserating and outright lethal impact such a course of action would have on the working and struggling peoples of the world.

quote:

Think about it: they want us to halt a vast array of human activity that produces carbon. All that Australian digging for coal; all those Chinese factories employing millions of people and producing billions of things used by people around the world; all those jobs in the UK in the fossil-fuel industries; all those coal-fired power stations; all that flying; all that driving… cut it all back, rein it in, stop it. And the people who rely on these things for their work and their food and their warmth? Screw them. They’re only humans. Horrible, destructive, stupid humans.

quote:

They complained, hysterically, about modernity. One of them bemoaned all the electricity that is used in a city like London. So the very lighting up and warming of cities, the electricity that powers homes and workplaces and transport systems and life-support machines, is offensive to these hair-shirted, self-flagellating loathers of arrogant humankind. ‘Switch it all off’, is their alarmingly immoral cry.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

Did anyone else get made to watch the state opening of parliament in school? Have memories of being a restless 10 year old having to sit through this interminable old fashioned ceremony to show us how great our democracy is. Clearly it worked.

Things I was forced to watch on tv as a kid (under 10) but not at school:

Winston Churchill's funeral. I was not quite 5 years old. So so bored.
Apollo (11?) moon landing. Boring.
Ditto splash down. Boring.
A state opening of parliament but I can't recall which one. Boring.

I was also 'forced' to watch Charles and Di wedding in 1981 because my extremely-fond-of-the-royals nan had a tea-party that day and we all had to watch it.

At school we got to watch Merry Go Round programmes for schools once a week.

Lots of Eds:
Oh and I forgot, at secondary school in the 70s we all had to watch a preparing for nuclear war film I think it was The War Game. No maybe it was Protect and Survive that makes more sense. No it doesn't, that was released after I left the school I was at at the time. Who knows. I remember thinking at the time: how come the police (in great coats and tall helmets) weren't affected while everyone else was screaming and wailing in agony.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 14, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CGI Stardust posted:

Good moooorning
New podcast game of Spiked or Spectator off to a good start.

forkboy84 posted:

We had an MP come to our school and do bouncy ball tricks.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Haven't almost all state opening of parliament in the modern era been in the summer?

Pretty sure I woulda been on school holiday for them, not that my school would have had us watch them anyway.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

CGI Stardust posted:

Good moooorning

Asking your boss for a holiday is now industrial action, how radical

Guavanaut posted:

We had an MP come to our school and do bouncy ball tricks.

It wasn’t a Tory, was it? :ohdear:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he's such a loving ghoul and didn't even change his name for halloween to reflect it

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1183296949157597184?s=20
https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1183661105366867968?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This sounds like one of those people who spell out of the age of consent not to clarify, but to bemoan.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanitary Naptime posted:

It wasn’t a Tory, was it? :ohdear:
I looked up who it was likely to be, I only remember that it was a white guy and it was Labour and it was Leicester West in the 80s, and holy gently caress :aaaaa: holy gently caress :vomarine:

We most likely had a notorious pedophile come to our school and do bouncy ball tricks.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Steve2911 posted:

Maybe we should just ban tweets.

A plan with no downsides

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cerv posted:

A plan with no downsides

-Dommy Cummy, for the eighth time

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://news.sky.com/story/corbyn-allies-fear-under-the-radar-power-grab-as-labour-leaders-office-undergoes-major-shake-up-11835507

quote:

But WhatsApp messages between members of Mr Corbyn's core team, also seen by Sky News, show they fear the review goes well beyond election preparation.

One member of the inner group claimed Sir Bob's review may be broadened to allow him to take evidence from shadow cabinet ministers, such as Sir Keir Starmer and John Healey, on what changes they thought might be needed.

"We can't have random members of the shadow cabinet involved in this," one member of the group wrote.

"It is absolutely insane allowing politicians who are barely linked to our office or who have a massive political agenda, to influence restructuring," they added.

I hear much skwawking in the distance

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Guavanaut posted:

I looked up who it was likely to be, I only remember that it was a white guy and it was Labour and it was Leicester West in the 80s, and holy gently caress :aaaaa: holy gently caress :vomarine:

We most likely had a notorious pedophile come to our school and do bouncy ball tricks.

Lmao, I loving hate being right

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The big boy has his big lube dispenser out and his sleeves up for a quick wank:

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Whole lot of 'Labour in crisis!!1!' stories over the last few days. Almost like the media has to get their smears in before campaigning starts.

On that note, looking forward to the queen's speech being voted down and the government falling today.

In the meantime, have some existential dread about 'AI' (i.e lovely decision trees) starving people with no recourse to an actual human.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/oct/14/automating-poverty-algorithms-punish-poor

Computer says no dole.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ronya posted:

same underlying unease that makes LAB's Diane Abbott, noted fan of the police, promise to put ten thousand more police on the streets by reversing Tory cuts to police forces that are bringing KNIFE CRIMES to a street near you.
I know thread policy is ACAB and therefore less police obviously seems better, but I don't think it's fair to compare Labour's 'reverse cuts to policing' to the Tory line of 'recruit some officers and string up the criminals we do catch.'

I've said before that my wife works in the civilian side of the police, so I can't give out stats, but things are not good. They're struggling to keep up with not only the background radiation of crimes that present a danger to the public like murder, cuckooing, intimidation and chinese gold thefts (which can be loving vicious); they're also having to deal with a huge increase in poverty-driven and racially motivated crime.

They are struggling to keep up because Tory cuts to funding didn't just pluck a number of officers off the street. With less funding, recruitment haven't been able to keep up a rolling intake to cover old officers retiring, injured officers recuperating or new intakes leaving from the increased stress or failing to pass the physical. Tories want to recruit 20k nationwide, which will barely cover the amount of officers lost thanks to the cuts. Plus, not all of them will pass training, many drop out from stress once recruited, and new officers need to be partnered with experienced officers as probationers. Just adding more new officers doesn't help.

The cuts have also impacted on resilience in the contact centre, who organise where officers are deployed and prioritise which jobs are immediate / urgent / require incident management. They've impacted a potential pathway for officers to go into investigative-only roles and solve a long standing issue of the police primarily attracting boot boys with right wing authoritarian views who just want to swing a truncheon around and feel powerful. They've impacted on the civilian investigator role, on custody, on cooperation with the CPS.

I know people like to pretend that the police exist only to kettle black people, but while we still live under the effects of global inequality-led capitalism, there is still going to need to be a police service.

Tory policy is to reintroduce a number of officers that is less than there were before the cuts, without increasing funding to the behind-the-scenes services like civilian investigators and contact hubs. They also want to have more officers 'on the beat' which is childlike in its pandering to old people who don't know how modern policing works - with the exception of Friday & Saturday nights in city centres, an officer patrolling on foot is a resource that is ridiculously less mobile and therefore far less useful without adequate support from the contact centre.

Abbott's Labour policy reverses the cuts and enables the service to do it's job again, reinstitute the investigative role, manage and deploy officers better and increase civilian roles. It allows the service to improve under a progressive government rather than providing palliative care under an authoritarian one. But it also comes alongside a social programme designed to cut out the inequality that motivates desperate people toward crime, a brexit policy designed to knock the legs out from under Farage etc and return them to crazy minority status (and negate the need to constantly dealing with mass marches), and an environmental policy that gets XR off the streets and back browsing canapees in Waitrose.

Yet again it's a better policy, it's just more nuanced than the Tories and not a straightforward answer that appeals to idiots. So obviously:

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, but it polls well so actually that's all that matters.
Yeah. Also:

kingturnip posted:

The public are thick; that's all you had to say

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

StarkingBarfish posted:

The big boy has his big lube dispenser out and his sleeves up for a quick wank:

The tassels on his very curtain tie backs look like the arse head Steve Bell paints him as :aaa:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Who he?

Friend is a probation officer and the service is in meltdown thanks to the cuts.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RockyB posted:

Whole lot of 'Labour in crisis!!1!' stories over the last few days. Almost like the media has to get their smears in before campaigning starts.

On that note, looking forward to the queen's speech being voted down and the government falling today.

Comically enough, according to the Graun, the FTPA has once again hosed that up too:

quote:

Before the Fixed-terms Parliaments Act was passed in 2011, the Queen’s speech vote counted as a confidence matter and a government that lost was expected to resign. That is what happened in 1886, 1892 and 1924. Those votes all took place after general elections, and on each occasion a new administration took power without another election being called.

The last election was more than two years ago and, if the FTPA was not on the statute book, you would expect Boris Johnson to respond to a defeat on the Queen’s speech by calling an election.

But, of course, that is not an option for him. Under the FTPA a government motion for an early election would need the support of two thirds of MPs in the Commons for it to have force, and Johnson has failed twice to get a motion passed meeting that threshold.

If Johnson does lose the vote next week, he might try again to force an early election. He could table a confidence motion in his own government (although it is hard to see what this would achieve), or he could table a no confidence motion and ask his MPs to abstain (because if a no confidence motion gets passed, and no other administration takes over within 14 days, an election has to happen under the FTPA). As well as being risky, this would be seen as an abuse of process and, although theoretically possible, it is possible that it could be disallowed by the Speaker.

But Johnson could also just ignore a vote against the Queen’s speech. A defeat like that would not stop him governing; it would not be like a vote against the budget, which would stop the government raising taxes. At the end of the Queen’s speech all MPs are actually voting on is a motion saying they should send a humble address to the Queen thanking her for attending parliament. If Johnson loses the vote, all that technically happens is that the Queen does not get the note. One less thing to read. She probably wouldn’t mind ...

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I know thread policy is ACAB and therefore less police obviously seems better, but I don't think it's fair to compare Labour's 'reverse cuts to policing' to the Tory line of 'recruit some officers and string up the criminals we do catch.'

I've said before that my wife works in the civilian side of the police, so I can't give out stats, but things are not good. They're struggling to keep up with not only the background radiation of crimes that present a danger to the public like murder, cuckooing, intimidation and chinese gold thefts (which can be loving vicious); they're also having to deal with a huge increase in poverty-driven and racially motivated crime.

They are struggling to keep up because Tory cuts to funding didn't just pluck a number of officers off the street. With less funding, recruitment haven't been able to keep up a rolling intake to cover old officers retiring, injured officers recuperating or new intakes leaving from the increased stress or failing to pass the physical. Tories want to recruit 20k nationwide, which will barely cover the amount of officers lost thanks to the cuts. Plus, not all of them will pass training, many drop out from stress once recruited, and new officers need to be partnered with experienced officers as probationers. Just adding more new officers doesn't help.

The cuts have also impacted on resilience in the contact centre, who organise where officers are deployed and prioritise which jobs are immediate / urgent / require incident management. They've impacted a potential pathway for officers to go into investigative-only roles and solve a long standing issue of the police primarily attracting boot boys with right wing authoritarian views who just want to swing a truncheon around and feel powerful. They've impacted on the civilian investigator role, on custody, on cooperation with the CPS.

I know people like to pretend that the police exist only to kettle black people, but while we still live under the effects of global inequality-led capitalism, there is still going to need to be a police service.

Tory policy is to reintroduce a number of officers that is less than there were before the cuts, without increasing funding to the behind-the-scenes services like civilian investigators and contact hubs. They also want to have more officers 'on the beat' which is childlike in its pandering to old people who don't know how modern policing works - with the exception of Friday & Saturday nights in city centres, an officer patrolling on foot is a resource that is ridiculously less mobile and therefore far less useful without adequate support from the contact centre.

Abbott's Labour policy reverses the cuts and enables the service to do it's job again, reinstitute the investigative role, manage and deploy officers better and increase civilian roles. It allows the service to improve under a progressive government rather than providing palliative care under an authoritarian one. But it also comes alongside a social programme designed to cut out the inequality that motivates desperate people toward crime, a brexit policy designed to knock the legs out from under Farage etc and return them to crazy minority status (and negate the need to constantly dealing with mass marches), and an environmental policy that gets XR off the streets and back browsing canapees in Waitrose.

the 10,000 refers to the number of officers Abbott wants to add to community beats, fwiw

"bobbies on the beat" polls well and LAB is not run by idiots

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ronya posted:

LAB is not run by idiots

who are you and what have you done with ronya?

please keep doing it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cuckooing is when you use debt or intimidation to coerce a vulnerable person to let you use their house or flat (often social housing) to do your crimes in.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

chinese gold thefts
otoh I'm less sure about this. Thefts of Chinese gold? Thefts of gold by Chinese people?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tesseraction posted:

Comically enough, according to the Graun, the FTPA has once again hosed that up too:

Yeah, losing the QS will just be another in a string of humiliations leading up to his corpse being found in a ditch on thursday.

Odds on some protesters turning up outside downing street with some bags of farmyard manure to make him a nice, warm ditch outside No. 10?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1183687057757147136?s=20

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I was surprised to find out it was a thing as well - criminals just move into the flats / houses of other people (generally with learning difficulties, addiction and/or mental illness) through false friendships or flat out intimidation. Once in there they abuse the occupant and then move on once they've exhausted the victim's credit and resources, or just use the place to do crime / deal drugs.

It's awful because you have very vulnerable adults who are not in a position to say no, then once the cuckoo is in their house, they're afraid to call the police. By the time a neighbour or friend reports it and you have a likely enough profile (and the report back from a social worker) the police can go in, separate the victim from the cuckoos and ask if everything is OK.

Then a ton of resources are needed to protect the victim from repercussions (either from the cuckoos mates or the cuckoos themselves when CPS inevitably lets them go) until they can be moved.

Guavanaut posted:

otoh I'm less sure about this. Thefts of Chinese gold? Thefts of gold by Chinese people?
Gangs breaking into the houses of Chinese families to steal the gold which culturally, they tend to keep their wealth in. Unlike normal burglaries which tend to be opportunists who avoid violence, gold gangs tend to go in when the family is there and beat the crap out of them until they tell them where it is.

Fun fact! They frequently target Japanese and Polynesian families, who do not generally keep gold in the house, and just beat the everloving poo poo out of them then trash their houses anyway.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 14, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Things I was forced to watch on tv as a kid (under 10) but not at school:

Winston Churchill's funeral. I was not quite 5 years old. So so bored.
Apollo (11?) moon landing. Boring.
Ditto splash down. Boring.
A state opening of parliament but I can't recall which one. Boring.

I was also 'forced' to watch Charles and Di wedding in 1981 because my extremely-fond-of-the-royals nan had a tea-party that day and we all had to watch it.

I remember being shown the raising of the Mary Rose live on TV at school. I lived in Fareham at the time so it was literally happening about a mile away. 5 year old nerd me was quite excited :shobon: Can recommend going to see it btw.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Gangs breaking into the houses of Chinese families to steal the gold which culturally, they tend to keep their wealth in. Unlike normal burglaries which tend to be opportunists who avoid violence, gold gangs tend to go in when the family is there and beat the crap out of them until they tell them where it is.

Fun fact! They frequently target Japanese and Polynesian families, who do not generally keep gold in the house, and just beat the everloving poo poo out of them then trash their houses anyway.
I always associated keeping wealth in gold with older Ugandan Indians (for good reason, Amin froze all their assets and gave them 90 days to leave, so they don't tend to trust the government or banks).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ronya posted:

the 10,000 refers to the number of officers Abbott wants to add to community beats, fwiw

"bobbies on the beat" polls well and LAB is not run by idiots

I think this is your shortest ever post. Keep it up! :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

[in Chinese] "revenge for Nanking"