Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Adelaide wasn't a prison colony

should've been, because it's terrible (and weirdly full of serial killers?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Skwirl posted:

There's a reason Australia was where England sent it criminals, and it wasn't because of their humanitarianism.

It's because they could no longer send them to the US.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's because they could no longer send them to the US.

We're not THAT cruel.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I dunno maybe its cultural but where I live it seems most people under 30 claim they can't cook and if I mention I fried some loving eggs for breakfast people go "wow wish I could do that"

I've also met people who are like 35 (men and women) and only eat off disposable plates and poo poo cuz they're scared of doing dishes so i think some people are just hopeless.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

See that’s the Gold Coast for me. I always assumed Adelaide was at least a little bit normal bc they grow grapes there. Let’s just say the entire coastline is the hot sweaty rear end

Most of Australia's population is on the coast. So, yes.

I think the difference is that the Gold Coast is tropical, so you get a really humid kind of heat there even if it isn't actually hotter. But Adelaide's in a pretty perpetual drought state, so inevitably a heat you get there is a very dry heat.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Magna Kaser posted:

I dunno maybe its cultural but where I live it seems most people under 30 claim they can't cook and if I mention I fried some loving eggs for breakfast people go "wow wish I could do that"

I've also met people who are like 35 (men and women) and only eat off disposable plates and poo poo cuz they're scared of doing dishes so i think some people are just hopeless.

I haven't had a dishwasher where I've lived since 2005 (except for a 1.5 year stretch) and, well, :effort:. I'll still do dishes when necessary, but spending an average of like a dollar a month on paper plates works out okay for me besides the vague guilt about the waste.

Incidentally I didn't properly take the minute it took to figure out frying rather than scrambling eggs until I was 30.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Does FFT stand for "loving food travesty"?

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

FFT posted:

I haven't had a dishwasher where I've lived since 2005 (except for a 1.5 year stretch) and, well, :effort:. I'll still do dishes when necessary, but spending an average of like a dollar a month on paper plates works out okay for me besides the vague guilt about the waste.

Incidentally I didn't properly take the minute it took to figure out frying rather than scrambling eggs until I was 30.

It is pretty hard to figure out "put egg in frying pan"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Let me clarify: it took until I was 30 to figure out aesthetically pleasing fried eggs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Khizan posted:

I cut some slack on laundry, at least as far as washing other people's clothes goes. You should definitely be able to wash all of your own clothes, but keeping track of what pieces of other people's clothing goes into the dryer and what has to hang dry and what's a delicate? Meh. Make them do their own laundry.

This is why I don't have to do laundry anymore. I put one too many shirts that looked indistinguishable from any other poo poo in the dryer.

The trade off is my other half never has to clean a litter box in exchange for me never having to do laundry

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

cohsae posted:

It is pretty hard to figure out "put egg in frying pan"

There's always the story of eternal manchild Dan Ryckert trying to make his own eggs for the first time

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cleretic posted:

Most of Australia's population is on the coast. So, yes.

50% of the population of Australia lives in the marked areas.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dan Ryckert is the BEST at making eggs. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9I3kf5rsq8

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Different manchild who works in video game journalism and does podcasts, even worse cooking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F-DYqLOXms&t=686s

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

FFT posted:

I haven't had a dishwasher that was used to wash dishes my entire life so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. As a kid I had one but my mother had us use it as a dish rack and told me and my siblings it was busted which we only found out as adults was a weird lie she told so we wouldn't use it.

No one still got a good answer why she hates dishwashers but to this day she won't use one.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Vandar posted:

Dan Ryckert is the BEST at making eggs. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9I3kf5rsq8

I love Dan Ryckert. H'e's just such an honest dork who doesn't understand the world. No Youtube persona or anything.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Home dishwashers are a hell of a lot more efficient now than they used to be so I wouldn't be surprised if it was just the same sort of penny-pinching mindset as the dad stereotypes re: lights.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

We had a dishwasher but my parents made my siblings and I hand wash all the dishes before they were put in the dishwasher. No clue. Perfectly clean handwashed dishes then put through the dishwasher for...quality assurance? Still confused by that. I should call my mom and ask her what the gently caress.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
My parents built the house I grew up in hoping to rent it out, so they included a dishwasher that they never intended to use. One time guests stayed with us and helped out by loading it up after a meal. We discovered the moldy dishes there months later when we thought to open it up.

My mother now uses the dishwasher to store her recycling bins as if it's extra under-sink cabinet space.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

How many of them had two parents that both worked?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I may be lazy but at least I'm not "Can't wash my own plate" lazy.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

DamnitGannet posted:

I was on the fence before but now I'm voting t-man 2020

I'm not! No online supervision for children? I have bad news about who else is on the internet and exactly what they're looking for.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Cooking at its basic level is just basic arithmetic and reading.

If you can’t do that then I guess please die off.

(Please note: I love cooking and know there is a LOT more to understanding how to cook WELL, or make really tasty food, etc. but anyone who can read and knows Arabic numerals and addition can loving cook SOMETHING)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My mother considers conveniences such as dishwashers and laundry machines God's gifts to humanity. The thought of her never using them or never letting us use them is really alien to me :psyduck:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

One of the weird things about the Instant Pot craze, was I really think it just tricked people into cooking.

Like I finially got one on black Friday 2 years into it being popular and looked up some recipies and like 98% of them dont need a pressure cooker and 75% of them they pressure cooker does not save any time.

If you let the pressure lower naturally you are not saving time. 2. Coming up to pressure takes way longer than I though, you got 15 minutes on each drat side! Simmer for 30 minutes is a lot.

Recipies are like.
1. Make a sauce remove
2. Sautee vegies remove
3. Pressure cook meat
4. Add stuff back.

Like yeah you can do it with this but why am I not using 3 pans on a stove like an adult?
I really think it tricked people into cooking for themselves, but here's the catch. That's a GOOD THING. I'm annoyed when I hear people bought a second smaller instantpot to cook 2 things together when they own a freaking pot. But whematever, they are cooking!

The absolute best thing it does is hydrate dry beans. Its outstanding from chic peas to pintos. That IS annoying manually and like 1-2 hours in a insta.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Thank rush Limbaugh et al white people waring on drugs, on drugs, you conservative idiot.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Bombadilillo posted:

One of the weird things about the Instant Pot craze, was I really think it just tricked people into cooking.

It's nice as a slow cooker replacement, but yeah, it's not really saving time from the stove.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m trying to read one of his books at the moment based on goons saying he’s really funny, and he just seems so incredibly up himself. I hope it becomes more tolerable as it goes on (the ‘dumbest kid’ one).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In your face, indigenous genocided peoples of the Americas

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Participation trophies" intersecting with "people subject to genocide"' has got to be in contention for peak sunglasses-and-goatee-in-truck-selfie boomer

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That's the kind of guy nobody would miss if he got hit by a train today.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Picnic Princess posted:

That's the kind of guy nobody would miss if he got hit by a train today.
Of course not, because the train won.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Incredibly shocked that this guy who thinks might makes right and violence is to be celebrated if it "wins" is wearing a MAGA hat, probably a coincidence though and won't read into it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zoux posted:

In your face, indigenous genocided peoples of the Americas

Oh baby gonna cry because we murdered you? You need a blanket, Linus, you piece of dead poo poo? If you had such a problem getting forced out of ancestral lands and slaughtered en masse, you should've done something about it, loser! U S A U S A

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Incredibly shocked that this guy who thinks might makes right and violence is to be celebrated if it "wins" is wearing a MAGA hat, probably a coincidence though and won't read into it.

Incredibly shocked that this guy is a Yankees fan

Columbus Day is by far the worst episode of the Sopranos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBD61skoMk8

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Brawnfire posted:

Oh baby gonna cry because we murdered you? You need a blanket, Linus, you piece of dead poo poo? If you had such a problem getting forced out of ancestral lands and slaughtered en masse, you should've done something about it, loser! U S A U S A

They got blankets. I think that was part of the problem.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I think communal refractories are the best way to handle people who can't cook. I can do basic stuff like roasted veggies and scrambled eggs, but I'd much rather have someone actually good/interested in cooking do the work, I'll wash dishes or whatever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1183777829907042306

Here's the article

Of course today we all recognize how brilliantly Thatcherian economic policies worked out

zoux has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Oct 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

T-man posted:

I think communal refractories are the best way to handle people who can't cook. I can do basic stuff like roasted veggies and scrambled eggs, but I'd much rather have someone actually good/interested in cooking do the work, I'll wash dishes or whatever.

also incredibly much more efficient in every measure than expecting every individual household to do their own cooking with their own ingredient sourcing and heating etc