Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

IdealFlaws posted:

So Price had Eliot killed but changed his mind in the last episode? Or did he make a show of it for Whiterose and come in after he recorded his fake death to revive him? Also are the mom and kid Eliot actually existing in this reality? I wonder what corporate building they were at

Price changes his mind after Elliot dropped the Cyprus Bank name and showed Price that he might actually have a shot at taking down White Rose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The ending reveal is basically there is another( Oh it got it, Elliot is whiterose). He has gotten even crazier. Also if this illuminati group is so powerful and can start wars and gain more powers from them, how can they not ship some mystery mcguffin project to the Congo?

Looking forward to the first Han Solo episode.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 14, 2019

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
:lol: if ya'll haven't figured out this show at this point. It's so obvious what is going on and what will happen

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on but these first two episodes have been great

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Hoping personality 3 is Leon.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
At least 5 personalities.

One will be REDACTED

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Maybe we've got this backwards and Elliot's brain is like a Voltron.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

All Eliot needs to do is prevent Whiterose from merging with the Helios AI and then he's free to decide whether to merge with it himself, destroy it, or to hand it over to the Illuminati.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tiggum posted:

All Eliot needs to do is prevent Whiterose from merging with the Helios AI and then he's free to decide whether to merge with it himself, destroy it, or to hand it over to the Illuminati.

Thank you for doing the obvious joke. I would have done it otherwise!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So what did happen in 1884

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

So people have been pointing out that there's been clues of a third personality hinted at for some time.

At the start of S2E12, when Elliot is talking to Tyrell outside the SUV, he is speaking in a much slower paced and serene voice than either Mr. Robot or Elliot ever uses. He says "You're only seeing what's in front of you. You're not seeing what's above you", which is a line that confuses Mr. Robot when Tyrell brings it up again in S3E3.

Then, in this episode, Elliot is talking to Price in the same self-assured, slow-paced and serene voice when they are in the Allsafe office. I just compared the two scenes and it seems pretty dead on.

No idea what any of it means of course.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
All that "cosmic" stuff Vera spews is going to relate to whiterose's ultimate plan in some way.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
We all know in our hearts that the new personality is Alf

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
That opening exposition about Whiterose being the villan mastermind behind the neoliberal world order made me roll my eyes. Liked the rest of the episode though I wonder how it's going to come together at the end.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm really not that excited about there being a third personality. There's 2 options, its either someone we know, or it's just a random new person we don't. After 3 seasons of everyone interacting with each other I don't see how it could be anyone we know, there's no way any established character could have been Elliot the whole time without it seeming absurd.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's more like two Elliots and a Mr. Robot

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
i wish i had rewatched this show before season 4. i completely forgot about fsociety killing that lady. i feel like i'm gonna miss important moments, or implications, because so much has happened and i can't remember any of it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was gonna rewatch the last season but I didn't get around to it, so I just watched the last episode of season 3, and that wasn't nearly enough to bring up me to speed. Thank god my boy Leon had me covered!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Gravastars posted:

So people have been pointing out that there's been clues of a third personality hinted at for some time.

At the start of S2E12, when Elliot is talking to Tyrell outside the SUV, he is speaking in a much slower paced and serene voice than either Mr. Robot or Elliot ever uses. He says "You're only seeing what's in front of you. You're not seeing what's above you", which is a line that confuses Mr. Robot when Tyrell brings it up again in S3E3.

Then, in this episode, Elliot is talking to Price in the same self-assured, slow-paced and serene voice when they are in the Allsafe office. I just compared the two scenes and it seems pretty dead on.

No idea what any of it means of course.

That would imply that Tyrell is not the 3rd personality, and is probably not a character that we have met so far. It's possible they won't assign a separate actor to the 3rd personality, instead just letting him be the shady operative behind some of the major events that are beyond the understanding of Elliot and Mr. Robot. This might be the same personality that took over when Elliot's father died in the movie theater.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Martian Manfucker posted:

i wish i had rewatched this show before season 4. i completely forgot about fsociety killing that lady. i feel like i'm gonna miss important moments, or implications, because so much has happened and i can't remember any of it.

I tried to recap as much as possible but I never thought that she would be an important character because she was so throw away in S2 and never mentioned in S3

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's definitely Alf.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I didn't know what Sam Esmail looked like so when he was in the show I just thought he was some random ecorp/dark army goon. Knowing it''s the creator makes it a way different moment. For a while I was thinking the third personality would be us, the viewer, but maybe he's going Stephen King with it and wrote himself into his own dark tower.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So where does the viewer fit in?

We're not a personality, just an imaginary friend?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't know about you but I've been screaming at him to do certain things through all the seasons. I was telling him not to undo the hack, tellin' him to do or not do this or that all the time. Delete debt, kill rich people, if that isn't what Sam is wanting us to feel while watching this then I guess it's just my bloodthirsty classicism. Then again he never listens to me so if we are a personality we don't have too much sway.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 14, 2019

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
Have we ever seen Angela's mom?

She's apparently a major enough figure in his younger life that he recorded that tape for her. She dies due to E-Corp like his Dad and he hallucinates him all over the place.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 14, 2019

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

im depressed lol posted:

Have we ever seen Angela's mom?

She's apparently a major enough figure in his younger life that he recorded that tape for her. She dies due to E-Corp like his Dad and he hallucinates him all over the place.

Yeah, she's in a flashback

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
ah ok, season 3 episode 6

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
was the music in the opening from The Matrix?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Riptor posted:

was the music in the opening from The Matrix?

It sounded like something Philip Glass did. I'm not sure.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a2K4pcAFIM

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Yes! Figured it was from Koyaanisqatsi.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Man NYC really is pretty at Christmastime. And before you start in on "well after the first snow, it rapidly turns to grey slush" that's pretty much my favorite type of weather anyway. Lolling at the guy knocking the tree over

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Ugh... how do I even begin to unpack this episode for ya'll.

Okay, let's get the rear end in a top hat part of my post out of the way first and just go chronologically. This episode mostly suffered from "let's put everyone off the center camera frame because that's what Mr. Robot is recognizable for" syndrome. It was rarely-if-ever used to convey anything meaningful other than the usual sense of unease the show tries to impart on a constant basis anyways. It wasn't noticeable last episode, if it even was a problem, but this episode it was just everywhere. It's such a problem.

That song at the beginning as Price rants about how easy it is to set up an Illuminati while they showed alternate-universe Forrest Gump footage? That's Philip Glass - Pruit Igoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq_SpRBXRmE
You may recognize it from the movie already linked in this thread, Koyaanisqatsi, but you may also recognize it from the original trailer for GTA:IV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlF6fbIFiCM
Or you might recognize it from one of the best scenes in the Watchmen movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNXohNU3tWo
But what you saw instead was Sam Esmail thinking that it's perfectly fine to be wholly unoriginal and throw at his audience something that he hopes will be seen as thoughtful, emotional, and impactful. To me, it rang empty. If I put aside my own personal objection to its overuse, I would instead have to object to the fact it was used in the beginning of the episode. A masterstroke explanation like that one certainly warrants the song, I won't disagree, but it's the kind of thing that would fit better as the climax of an episode or a season, not up front in your scanlined CRT television. I heard the song begin, I understood what Price was explaining, and all I could do was sigh. The season premiere was a fluke after all and here we are, up Sam Esmail's rear end again.

Now... I was going to complain about the direction of Elliot in that first scene. The way he's all cold and insular while talking to Price was great (he was just brought back from the dead, obviously he had some drug-induced side-effects) but the fact he immediately cured himself just to give Price a stern talking to seemed way off. But now that there's apparently a third Elliot personality that is being rumored to have shown itself in other parts of the show, eh. Fine. That's Elliot 3. But I'll still take a jab at this scene and suggest the "You can get us in." "Excuse me?" dialog is older than dirt. Price may be off his rocker now that Angela's dead but there's no reason for him to be dumb enough not to foresee the suggestion that he be the in towards hacking the Deus Group.

Oh yeah I'm totally on board with the "AI Safe" logo being a hint that Whiterose's project is just a massive data-center into which he will upload people's brains. Everyone will become AI, that's why Angela thought "we could all be re-united" because they'll put her in a Matrix where she'll be with mom again. Either that or the Singularity. Anyway, between AI Safe, Mom having a missing safe deposit box, and the lawyer's e-coin bank account, I think "Safes" might be a theme of some sort? Eh, might be reaching there.

Anyway, dead mom's room scene was fine. Something's probably up with the dumb broken clock? Who knows:

Gonna assume that 4th hand is supposed to be an alarm? Never seen a wall clock with an alarm setting, let alone an analog alarm setting hand that was as long as a seconds hand. WTF is with that clock?

Some super obvious imagery going on with Dom's interview:

Which probably means something but it's so easy to come up with poo poo that there's no way to know the actual meaning being imparted. "Whiterose is behind Dom but nobody is behind the man" I dunno. Also her head is covering up the FBI logo that shows on that monitor.

Gonna be honest I was straight up thrown off by this:
https://i.imgur.com/S4bYdSg.mp4
Why was this poor transition used when the previous episode did the same thing, twice, going in and out of a taxi completely seamlessly? I don't get it. It's like day and night how much effort was put into these first two episodes. I wish I could get official credits because nobody is listed as cinematographer. There are two assistant directors but they're the same names. I kinda have to blame Esmail on this one.

Hey! Who is this guy?

He looks familiar. I like him.

The snowman costume was good poo poo. I was waiting for the payoff and I'm glad it was a simple "condolences." Thoughts and prayers, ya'll.

This was a good center vanishing point shot. I liked it.

Again you could probably make up some meaning here. E-Corp bank is big and Elliot and Darlene are little people. Whatever.

There was a decent subtle long shot between Elliot and Darlene while she's holding the urn, good on them for sticking with the subtlety. Another obvious symbolic shot was here between the bleeding red exit sign and the cross on the wall.

Again, insert whatever you wanna make of this. Elliot having a Christ complex? Darlene being a way out? Once they come to terms and are "cool" with each other the symbology goes away as they stand next to each other in an even framing.

Okay have you rolled your eyes yet at my post? This poo poo's more a therapy for me than anything else. I just watched Barry's best episode (Ronny Lily) and it's a drat shame when Bill Hader's direction outshines Sam Esmail's. But hey, good for Hader! Anyway, last thing.

The kid was told "that's not your seat." There are 3 other seats at the table. So then we have Autistic Elliot, Mr. Robot, Kid Elliot, and Mystery (Let's call him "Confident") Elliot as the 4 personalities? I was kinda hoping we were done with twists but here we are. Looking forward to a flashback episode where Confident Elliot murders the gently caress out of Vera and his gang. That's why he isn't a problem!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, anyone else notice this in the background?

Changing the Allsafe sign so it looks like it says "AI." It was pretty prominently featured both in this week's episode and last week with it in frame quite a bit during dialog scenes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a red herring. Al is the third/fourth Elliot

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Yeah, I noticed that too.

Khanstant posted:

...that's... the opposite of a red herring?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I was hoping we were gonna get 60+ min episodes every week, was bummed to see this one was back to the standard 44 or whatever.

DaveKap posted:

Ugh... how do I even begin to unpack this episode for ya'll.

Your posts are such a strange blend of really good and interesting and hate-watching snarky elitist. Do you not like much on TV at all or are you holding this show up to higher standard because of Esmail's unearned reputation and penchant for making things look more flashy and brilliant than they actually are?

muscles like this! posted:

So, anyone else notice this in the background?

Considering it's been on-screen front and centre for about 10 minutes over the last couple of weeks, yeah we've noticed.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

I was hoping we were gonna get 60+ min episodes every week, was bummed to see this one was back to the standard 44 or whatever.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed when there was a commercial break at all.

Looten Plunder posted:

Your posts are such a strange blend of really good and interesting and hate-watching snarky elitist. Do you not like much on TV at all or are you holding this show up to higher standard because of Esmail's unearned reputation and penchant for making things look more flashy and brilliant than they actually are?

Trust me, if this is how Dave's posts are going to be for the indefinite future, I'll take it. For some reason, he was completely hung up on Angela being recruited into the Dark Army at the end of season 2 on being a plot hole, and was seriously convinced that her personality shift was completely unexplained, despite her plan to undo E Corp from within proving to be completely fruitless on every level and then being kidnapped by a hacker mafia and interrogated with a series of strange questions from both a child and White Rose.

Personally though, I'm seriously wondering how they managed to splice videos of Putin and other real world figures with White Rose. However they did it, it's as impressive as when they used someone to dub over videos of Obama talking about Tyrell Wellick back in season 2.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

He's going to dramatically spraypaint a red f in the blank space

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

He will reach through the screen and spraypaint the viewer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Shitenshi posted:

Trust me, if this is how Dave's posts are going to be for the indefinite future, I'll take it. For some reason, he was completely hung up on Angela being recruited into the Dark Army at the end of season 2 on being a plot hole, and was seriously convinced that her personality shift was completely unexplained, despite her plan to undo E Corp from within proving to be completely fruitless on every level and then being kidnapped by a hacker mafia and interrogated with a series of strange questions from both a child and White Rose.

His posts are fine, he's admitted he was a bit crazy before. It's not like he's criticizing the entire show when he's only seen one episode mid-season or something.