Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Battlefield 1’s flamethrower was pretty cool. If you fired it into an enclosed area like a bunker or trench or something the flames would actually flare up throughout the whole area, which is the whole point of flamethrowers in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

any flamethrowing unit from company of heroes

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Ratchet & Clank 2 had a lava gun that worked like a flamethrower and was tons of fun to sling around. Unfortunately, it "upgraded" to a gun that shot miniature meteors (effectively just a machinegun). In the sequel they brought some guns back from 2, and the lava gun's upgrade became instead firing cryogenic fluid, so it still killed things by sticking burning liquid on them, just a different kind of burning.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ratchet & Clank 2 had a lava gun that worked like a flamethrower and was tons of fun to sling around. Unfortunately, it "upgraded" to a gun that shot miniature meteors (effectively just a machinegun). In the sequel they brought some guns back from 2, and the lava gun's upgrade became instead firing cryogenic fluid, so it still killed things by sticking burning liquid on them, just a different kind of burning.

As a young gameplayer I was extraordinarily disappointed by the meteor gun - not only was it significantly less cool and interesting than the lava gun, it replaced it, so you couldn't even use the good version anymore. The liquid nitrogen gun, on the other hand, was awesome and had a cool (ha) freezing effect when you killed enemies with it that was very satisfying. It was one of my favorite weapons from Up Your Arsenal, which is saying something.

I have no idea how my mother allowed me to play a game titled "Up Your Arsenal", as she was very strict about such things, but I'm glad she did.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

How long does EGSclusivity go, again? I really want to buy Control soon, but I'd have to download a whole new launcher and I really don't know how much I want to, or how much I personally trust Epic.

One year, it'll be on Steam in august. I really dont like the epic store but I bought Control from the Humble Store with my discount for being a Humble Monthly subscriber and loved it.
Helps that I really like Remedy, who made my favorite game of all time (Max Payne 2).

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Lost planet 2 had a flamerthrower that was fairly strong, even against mechs it worked well if you torched the knees. Of course, it was also as likely to light yourself on fire as your foes, so that always stuck in my mind. Honestly a lot of the guns and grenades in lost planet 2 were real fun, guns with some weird butterfly knife on the front, plasma snipers, anti armor pistols that shot burrowing charges, confetti gun , the gun that shot space bees, buster grenades that had the biggest explosion, acid balloons, shurikens, and of course, the secret weapons you could get with a special key combo that needed the rest of the team to coop to do stuff like shoot a death ray, drop a sun, or slice a laser blade across the map.

I really want a successor and the closest i got was edf, which felt like more quantity but nothing nearly like the quality when it came to cool mecha and guns being both silly and feeling really good to shoot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dash Rendar posted:

so few good flamethrows in video games... so much so that it's always nice when one doesn't suck. i can only think of a few:

The very underappreciated Inversion had a kickarse flamethrower which was actually a lava gun.

Wet sticky fire, much like a real world flamethrower instead of the 'long stream of compressed flammable gas' which most games use.

EDIT: From Your Evil Twin's let's play of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P1OBTAt7MM&t=1701s

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Oct 14, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This made me very angry as a kid, and I was super happy when they fixed it in the third game. R&C 2 and 3, as well as Crack in Time, are all great games.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

This made me very angry as a kid, and I was super happy when they fixed it in the third game. R&C 2 and 3, as well as Crack in Time, are all great games.

The reboot game based on the movie was great too - at least when the characters weren't saying things. I didn't see the movie but based on the reboot's cutscenes they literally could've just stiched together all the cutscenes from the original Ratchet and ended up with a signficantly more enjoyable experience. There's something like three separate jokes about taking food from the employee fridge, and I don't think it's supposed to be a running gag.

As a positive little thing - in the reboot, there's a part where you directly fight Captain Quark. In the other games, Quark is treated as self-absorbed and washed-up, and it's never really clear how he managed to become a famous hero in the first place (though it's implied that he was, at least at one point, competent enough). In the boss fight against him in the reboot, he uses many of the same weapons Ratchet does and in very similar ways, which implies how he actually became a hero - he did it the same way Ratchet did. It's a cool way to subtlety characterize Quark as someone who's fallen from grace, rather than someone who was a fraudulent coward from the start.

(Even if shoving his entire character arc from the original trilogy into one game felt weird and rushed as heck, but again, the story and writing in that game was mostly terrible)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Battlefield 1’s flamethrower was pretty cool. If you fired it into an enclosed area like a bunker or trench or something the flames would actually flare up throughout the whole area, which is the whole point of flamethrowers in the first place.

That thing was deadly if you stayed indoors and had a medic healing you.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Zoig posted:

the gun that shot space bees

Zoig posted:

Zoig posted:

Zoig posted:

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Resident Evil 7 has a pisspoor flamethrower.
Considering how much you have to use it in the insect chapter, you chew through ammo and the hives cannot be completely destroyed, as far as I can tell.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dash Rendar posted:

so few good flamethrows in video games... so much so that it's always nice when one doesn't suck. i can only think of a few:

Turok 2
Killzone 2
Army Men 1 and 2

in Turok 2 and Killzone 2, it arcs out like liquid fire. while it's just kind of neat in Turok 2, the arc is super useful in Killzone because you can use it to flush enemies out of cover.

for the first two Army Men games it was basically an instakill. also soldiers melted in puddles of plastic which was hilarious. but Sarge wasnt immune to it so any enemy flamethrowers were particularly deadly.

PYF little things in games: flamethrowers that are as effective as they are supposed to be terrifying.

Wasn't the flamethrower in Far Cry 3 good? I assumed it was, but I didn't play that game so I dunno.

Anyway, the 2016 Ratchet and Clank's one was good. I'm sure there were more in earlier games but that's the only one I've played so that's my only example.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Wasn't the flamethrower in Far Cry 3 good? I assumed it was, but I didn't play that game so I dunno.

Anyway, the 2016 Ratchet and Clank's one was good. I'm sure there were more in earlier games but that's the only one I've played so that's my only example.

Far Cry 2 had a great flamethrower, and FC3 basically copied it and had a mission where you hotbox yourself using said flamethrower to burn down someone's weed farm.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

RCarr posted:

That thing was deadly if you stayed indoors and had a medic healing you.

That worked right up until someone forcibly introduced you to six inches of tempered steel.

Bayonet charges were an amazing part of Battlefield 1 and few things beat retreating around a corner only to turn around and charge on the person chasing you.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Far Cry 2 had a great flamethrower, and FC3 basically copied it and had a mission where you hotbox yourself using said flamethrower to burn down someone's weed farm.

I laughed out loud once the Skrillex(?) song started playing when you were getting right hosed up.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
I remember a lot of hype around Return to Castle Wolfenstein's flamethrower. I always enjoyed it but I always enjoyed that everything about that game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

yeah I loved that in half life and it sucks the sequel didn't have it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In Dead Space 3 you can make your own flamethrower and put the stasis module attachment on it, which makes it shoot burning cryogenic beams instead that char enemies to bits while also slowing them to a crawl so they can't even retaliate. It was awesome.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Samuringa posted:

I like that the one weapon in Dead Space that is actually a gun, the pulse rifle, is also the worst weapon of the game. It feels almost like a newbie trap compared to the jury-rigged digging tools.

It's a lot better in Dead Space 2, because that game has a lot of critters and rapid fire is a good way to deal with those. As godly as the Plasma Cutter is, there is one section in that game where it doesn't cut it :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mierenneuker posted:

It's a lot better in Dead Space 2, because that game has a lot of critters and rapid fire is a good way to deal with those. As godly as the Plasma Cutter is, there is one section in that game where it doesn't cut it :v:

It also has a secondary fire that isn't completely useless in Dead Space 2.

CJacobs posted:

In Dead Space 3 you can make your own flamethrower and put the stasis module attachment on it, which makes it shoot burning cryogenic beams instead that char enemies to bits while also slowing them to a crawl so they can't even retaliate. It was awesome.

People who complained about Universal Ammo in Dead Space 3 didn't seem to realize it's what made the custom weapons actually good. Being able to chop and change guns any way you wanted and still be able to use them meant you weren't stuck merely building around whatever ammo types you had.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well, I finally beat Control, and I absolutely recommend it despite my problems. It's one of those games that seems made almost entirely of those little touches that make you love it, and I think it'll stick with me for a long time. The biggest issues are also probably a lot more ignorable if you're not in the lowest skill percentiles so you're not lost or dying every five seconds at the tough parts.
I guess one of the biggest compliment is that I'm loving it enough to immediately start on the unfinished quests after finishing up the main game, something I rarely do.

The ending was a bit of a "Huh...thats it?" moment because i was expecting it to be giant fight against your brother. On the other hand i'm pretty happy that it wasn't a big boss battle because combat isn't really the strong suit of that game, especially against stronger enemies.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It also has a secondary fire that isn't completely useless in Dead Space 2.

People who complained about Universal Ammo in Dead Space 3 didn't seem to realize it's what made the custom weapons actually good. Being able to chop and change guns any way you wanted and still be able to use them meant you weren't stuck merely building around whatever ammo types you had.

Dead Space 3 was a great game until it became Lost Planet. Flying around space and solving engineering issues on various ships was rad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The flamethrower is also really funny in Dead Space 2 because fired normally it's just your average flamethrower, but the alt-fire launches the entire ammo canister with a loud THOOMP like it's a flaming grenade launcher or something, except it's still just a little handheld torch like the first game.

edit: Also has a pretty ballin "idgaf" reload a la RE4

https://i.imgur.com/BrGZfeZ.gifv

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:05 on Oct 14, 2019

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Warframe has the Ignis Wraith which, if modded correctly, can melt through dozens of enemies in half a second. I find it hard to justify using anything else.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Even better, if you go full energy weapon specialization it can shoot for nearly forever.

Also I remembered something else I liked about Hades, if you reach the end of the current available content, Zagreus and Hades just straight up start breaking the fourth wall slightly saying its basically not done past this point yet. Also Zagreus can hear the narrator, who is doing his damnedest to pretend he can't, and this is presented well enough that its entertaining instead of groan worthy.

Edit: Oh god Zeus just showed up in the middle of my conversation with Poseidon because he was talking poo poo about him.

Zoig has a new favorite as of 11:38 on Oct 14, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bony tony posted:

Dead Space 3 was a great game until it became Lost Planet. Flying around space and solving engineering issues on various ships was rad.

I liked it on the whole, but the first half on the derelict ships was definitely waaay better than the latter.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I liked it on the whole, but the first half on the derelict ships was definitely waaay better than the latter.

The saddest thing is that part four was likely going to star Ellie and be mostly aboard space derelicts.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Warframe has the Ignis Wraith which, if modded correctly, can melt through dozens of enemies in half a second. I find it hard to justify using anything else.

also the Atomos, the fart gun

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zoig posted:

Also I remembered something else I liked about Hades, if you reach the end of the current available content, Zagreus and Hades just straight up start breaking the fourth wall slightly saying its basically not done past this point yet.

This reminds me of Catacomb Kids, a roguelite that's been in development for like five years now. At one point I remember beating a particularly hard boss, and in the transition to the next level, text to the effect of "that was supposed to kill you, have fun exploring incomplete content I guess" popped up.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Dash Rendar posted:

Turok 2
Killzone 2
Army Men 1 and 2

in Turok 2 and Killzone 2, it arcs out like liquid fire. while it's just kind of neat in Turok 2, the arc is super useful in Killzone because you can use it to flush enemies out of cover.

for the first two Army Men games it was basically an instakill. also soldiers melted in puddles of plastic which was hilarious. but Sarge wasnt immune to it so any enemy flamethrowers were particularly deadly.

PYF little things in games: flamethrowers that are as effective as they are supposed to be terrifying.

Vice city’s flamethrower was fun,let down only by not being able to sprint or move while firing.
It was also a reliable way to explode tanks.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

The ending was a bit of a "Huh...thats it?" moment because i was expecting it to be giant fight against your brother. On the other hand i'm pretty happy that it wasn't a big boss battle because combat isn't really the strong suit of that game, especially against stronger enemies.
the fight with esseJ was a lot of fun tbh and it could have been similar to that

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
GeoMod in the Red Faction series was always such a nice touch that I wish every game engine could incorporate.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the fight with esseJ was a lot of fun tbh and it could have been similar to that

It gave you the best costume in the game at least

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Flamethrowers are my favorite weapons in games. Red Faction 2 didn't have a full on flamethrower but it did have incendiary rounds for the shotgun, which was satisfying to use because it made the enemies do an extremely goofy "running around on fire" animation.

Black Ops also had flamethrowers and Dragon's Breath for the SPAS12. Running around with an m16/flamethrower was amazing because you could bait people into trying to close in on you, and then hose them down when they rounded the corner.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flamethrowers combined with Bloody Mess in Fallout 3 + New Vegas made people just fall apart

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Flamethrowers combined with Bloody Mess in Fallout 3 + New Vegas made people just fall apart

That satisfying *POP, BLORP, SPLASH* lets you know they are done. Slides right off the bone! Try it for Thanksgiving, a real treat for the whole family. As always, we'll see you next time on Cook-Cook's Cannibal Cuisine!

New Vegas Public Access TV is what FO 4's The Silver Shroud quest wanted to be.

The PS2/PSP era GTAs have a little thing about fire and aiming thrown weapons: it sucks. It sucks right up until you realize that completing the fire-truck side missions is rewarded with fire immunity. Awful grind though. Sticking to beaches and rural areas in Vice and San Andreas respectively lets you cheese it. It's hilarious how much it breaks the game; imagine the Casino Heist mission in SA but casually chucking molotovs everywhere while wearing a Groucho mask. Any combat without a killable ally around very quickly goes your way.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I enjoyed the nano-rifle in red faction guerrilla. It made a satisfying *pewt* noise and disintegrated any small part of a building it hit. With practice you could hit the all structural integrity points and bring a building down rapidly. Once you upgraded the clip you could precisely dismantle a building the moment you could see it.

It also did horrible things to people.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Red Faction Guerrilla is just one hell of a good video game, that’s a quality blowing poo poo up experience right there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I love that they used that Space rear end in a top hat song some people made in the promotional stuff for the remaster. That game was the best for rear end in a top hat physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ok I just bought Control because of this thread so it better be good cuz now I gotta find extra cash to make rent