Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Flipswitch posted:

Has anyone got any tips on teaching Root? Little tips and things to point people in the right direction while playing?

Start by talking about the map, how clearings work, how buildings work, how movement and rule work. Remember, the Vagabond is not a warrior, and rules/cards that apply to warriors do not apply to him. When you go through each faction, emphasise their differences, i.e. the cats want to own the whole map and cover it with buildings, the birds want to carve off a slice and hold it before their momentum runs out, etc.

Try to mention the different types of cards (i.e. some you can play in reaction to certain things, some are permanent upgrades, some are upgrades that you discard after use). This one can cause a fair bit of discord if people misunderstand how the cards in their hands work.

You need to explicitly say that the Woodland Alliance starts with nothing on the map. You should also point out that placing sympathy gets really expensive late-game, but they can start using officer-actions to make warriors, march them into hostile clearings, and then turn them into sympathy without spending any cards. You don't necessarily need to memorise everything that happens when a WA base is destroyed, since it's written on their player-mat, but you should definitely point out to them that it's really bad, so they don't get a nasty surprise if it happens.

You should tell the Vagabond player that yes, they can have ridiculous bullshit turns if they have enough items.

Also, you can attack and destroy pieces of lumber in battle (provided they have no defenders, of course). They're considered "tokens", so they're worth points to destroy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Don't include the vagabond in the first game imho if you have the expansion or ideally play with 3.
There's most likely 4 of us, possibly 3. I'll add Beavers over the Vagabond then if we have a full amount. What's the reasoning for taking the Beavers over the Vagabond?

The Woodland Alliance seem the most complex out of the remaining 4, I'll end up playing them I expect so I'll need that help! :D

Thanks so far goons, I'll take the rulebooks into work tomorrow to read during the day. One of the group is quite new to board gaming in general, she's played some Pandemic, TIME Stories, Space Alert, Coup and Battlestar Galactica with us so far so I'm just hoping to keep it accessible to everyone.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

There's most likely 4 of us, possibly 3. I'll add Beavers over the Vagabond then if we have a full amount. What's the reasoning for taking the Beavers over the Vagabond?

The Woodland Alliance seem the most complex out of the remaining 4, I'll end up playing them I expect so I'll need that help! :D

The Vagabond is playing a different game from everyone else. Everyone else is trying to control clearings by various means and it all makes sense. The Vagabond just doesn't feel like he's taking part in that so it's hard for the other players to judge what he's doing and what the affect of working with him would be.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Flipswitch posted:

You get VP for punching the beavers, and you don't get VP for punching the vagabond. You have to 'know' that it's your turn to punch the Vagabond, which people do not know to do in the first game. Also, it's quite unsatisfying.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Did we ever get a final count of Spielgoons for this year? I recall there's me, Tekopo, Selecta84 and Ayn Randi, plus Nesbit37 will be there with his bee game. If there's enough interested parties then we can maybe grab a meal one evening. I know a couple of good gamer friendly joints.

I'm also on my tod this year so if anyone wants to link up and tour one day I'm down.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I’d be up for that.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I will only be there on Thursday and we will be in a group of 8 + I'm the driver :(

Barring a sudden flu epidemic in my circle of friends I don't think I can make it to the after Spiel dinner.

But I try to get to the booth where Tekopo is at for a game of Rome and Roll and maybe I can try the bee game as well.

Any idea which booth you two will be at?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Don't include the vagabond

Could have stopped there

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Didn’t manage to play R&B this past weekend but got to try the RPG Dialect. As an aside, it’s great and naturally causes interaction without awkward long pauses that sometimes happen with improv/indie RPGs and I’m likely going to keep the index cards used in little envelopes as mementos. But as for R&B, any best practices and tips I should keep in mind for the first game? I assume people just keep active mine bags to the side and swirl them a bit before producing each turn.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
Once everyone has their faction board, make them read it, starting with the setup on the back. It contains everything for setup and gives a few tips to orient them to possible objectives. In general, reading the player board will answer most questions about their particular factions workings.

When you’re playing, for the first few turn, have everyone narrate their turns from the instructions on the board - it’ll slow down the first couple turns but it helps everyone figure out other people’s objective more quickly. For this reason, take the first turn and model how to read the options off the board and declare actions.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Flipswitch posted:

Has anyone got any tips on teaching Root? Little tips and things to point people in the right direction while playing?

After going over the basic rules (movement, attacking, etc) use the learn to play guide included. It walks you through a scripted example of the first few turns of the game, so players can see how the game mechanics work in practice. From there you can keep playing, or reset and start a fresh game.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
A common rule that I bet is often forgotten is that the Marquise de Cat can’t access wood tokens if their supply line has been severed (I.e. if they don’t rule every clearing between the location you want to build a structure and the clearing that the wood is sitting at)

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Did we ever get a final count of Spielgoons for this year? I recall there's me, Tekopo, Selecta84 and Ayn Randi, plus Nesbit37 will be there with his bee game. If there's enough interested parties then we can maybe grab a meal one evening. I know a couple of good gamer friendly joints.

I'm also on my tod this year so if anyone wants to link up and tour one day I'm down.

Sounds neat, I’m leaving on the Sunday but otherwise there for the duration

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ayn Randi posted:

Sounds neat, I’m leaving on the Sunday but otherwise there for the duration

I'm there Wednesday to Monday morning, but I'm at the Preview Event on Wednesday night and the Fringe on Saturday. So Thursday or Friday seems best. I am meeting a friend at some point, not sure when, but we can work around that. If necessary I'll invite her along.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'll be arriving on the Wednesday and leaving Sunday. Please note that I'm gonna be spending half day during demos as well, but I'll let you know once I'm free. I also need to go to Cologne to see a friend as well, which will probably be friday to saturday.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

I'm there Wednesday to Monday morning, but I'm at the Preview Event on Wednesday night and the Fringe on Saturday. So Thursday or Friday seems best. I am meeting a friend at some point, not sure when, but we can work around that. If necessary I'll invite her along.

Thursday or Friday fine with us, we’re there alone and staying in Duisburg so we’re mostly keeping to ourselves otherwise and not much planned for the German leg of the trip, so happy to fit in whatever works for everyone else

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ayn Randi posted:

Thursday or Friday fine with us, we’re there alone and staying in Duisburg so we’re mostly keeping to ourselves otherwise and not much planned for the German leg of the trip, so happy to fit in whatever works for everyone else

Sounds like Thursday evening is the best time for everyone, then? Not the worst idea as we can compare notes on day 1 before everything hot sells out, and there won't be the Friday night crowd.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I haven't seen a post about this here yet, and if this isn't the thread for it, tell me. But I just found out Hulu currently has a show called After School Dice Club: an anime about Euro games. All of the games are real, and just looking at a few clips, they seem to pick good ones and explain the rules. Haven't actually watched it, but I thought it would at the very least be an interesting or amusing board gaming thing for people more resistant to dumb anime bullshit.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I haven't seen a post about this here yet, and if this isn't the thread for it, tell me. But I just found out Hulu currently has a show called After School Dice Club: an anime about Euro games. All of the games are real, and just looking at a few clips, they seem to pick good ones and explain the rules. Haven't actually watched it, but I thought it would at the very least be an interesting or amusing board gaming thing for people more resistant to dumb anime bullshit.

People have been fan-translating the comics for a while now. It's kind of interesting; the series covers a lot of slightly older, usually German designer games that you don't hear about much these days - most of them have been new to me. I assume it's at least a somewhat accurate view into the sorts of games that are popular in Japan right now?

Either that or the writer just has an unhealthy obsession with Alex Randolph.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've read the manga and it's good and wholesome. I look forward to how the anime deals with some of the downtime, but from episode 1 it's not bad.

The author mentioned Terra Mystica in a tweet a couple years ago, so I hope the manga/anime starts covering heavier games.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 16, 2019

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm sure given that it's goons you'll soon be informed how the ~~~~light novel~~~~ is sooo much better how can you even watch that anime trash.

EDIT: also it started like 6 years ago

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 16, 2019

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SoftNum posted:

I'm sure given that it's goons you'll soon be informed how the ~~~~light novel~~~~ is sooo much better how can you even watch that anime trash.

i don't think that series has a light novel but you seem to have some deeply rooted trauma you needed to get out.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I read all the manga on a road trip. As someone who doesn't usually manga/anime, it's wholesome and cute and I'll probably check out the anime. My only quibble is that it tends to focus on older and simpler games, but that makes sense given you have to explain a game in a couple of pages and it's' also just a bit older (2013).

The Werewolf chapter did a great job of conveying the theme and tension that the game can have, especially if you're coming to it as someone who hasn't played or even heard of that kind of traitor game.

I'd love to see Deep Sea Adventure or other Oink games get featured; it seems like it'd fit right in the niche of the series.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Apparently, Xenon Profiteer is supposed to be a cool, kickstarter deckbuilder about distillating Xenon from normal air. Has anyone played the game yet?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think the South Park guys just want to retire and play board games because a few episodes ago there were some (relatively compared to the most popular titles) deep cuts on Stan's shelf.

e: Stan has good taste. I'd play board games with him.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 16, 2019

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Hopefully they do us all a favor and do it sooner rather than later.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Amazon seems to think Via Nebula is made of asbestos or some thing, because they had it priced at $17. I figured I'd pick it up. It arrived today, but was missing the three craftsman pieces for the black player. My replacement request has been submitted, but in the meantime, what are the best choices for replacement pieces? Currently I'm thinking the zombies from Arena of the Planeswalkers.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Snooze Cruise posted:

i don't think that series has a light novel but you seem to have some deeply rooted trauma you needed to get out.

to be fair, the 18xx Touhou graphical redesign scars everyone who catches a glance of its eldritch form

the real posters to watch out for are the ones who don't seem effected at all

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Fellis posted:

to be fair, the 18xx Touhou graphical redesign scars everyone who catches a glance of its eldritch form

i will face my moé. i will let it pass over me and through me, and when it has gone past i will turn the inner eye to see it's path. where the moé has gone, there will be nothing. only watashi will remain.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Fellis posted:

i am having a hard time phrasing this post, are you saying there is a 18xx with Kasen and Marisa, because bitch show me the money, so i can use that money to buy it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gutter Owl posted:

i will face my moé. i will let it pass over me and through me, and when it has gone past i will turn the inner eye to see it's path. where the moé has gone, there will be nothing. only watashi will remain.

lol

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

i am having a hard time phrasing this post, are you saying there is a 18xx with Kasen and Marisa, because bitch show me the money, so i can use that money to buy it

I think this was a joke. There was an amazingly garish 18Mex, though. Does anybody have that image around?

e: Found it. The author has made a lot of redesigns. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/240778/item/6118929?commentid=8308779#comment8308779

rchandra fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 16, 2019

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

golden bubble posted:

Apparently, Xenon Profiteer is supposed to be a cool, kickstarter deckbuilder about distillating Xenon from normal air. Has anyone played the game yet?

I've looked into it a bit, I was looking to buy it as a birthday present for a friend who's a chemist. I haven't played it so take this with a grain of salt, but I remember reading the rules and thinking it looked promising to be a good game. Rating on BGG is 7.2 so seems more than ok.

Alas, it's basically unavailable here in Europe unless I want to pay half of the game price in shipping+import duty on Amazon.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

The Narrator posted:

I read all the manga on a road trip. As someone who doesn't usually manga/anime, it's wholesome and cute and I'll probably check out the anime. My only quibble is that it tends to focus on older and simpler games, but that makes sense given you have to explain a game in a couple of pages and it's' also just a bit older (2013).

The Werewolf chapter did a great job of conveying the theme and tension that the game can have, especially if you're coming to it as someone who hasn't played or even heard of that kind of traitor game.

I'd love to see Deep Sea Adventure or other Oink games get featured; it seems like it'd fit right in the niche of the series.

Elapsed time in episode 1 before schoolgirl panties: 4:20

Never change, anime.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I believe Chill was either working on or getting to the touhou retheme. Of course purchasing a pnp would be immoral.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

lmao

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

We played Root last night!, it was a great success so thanks to everyone who replied.

I am a dumbass and forgot to pack the expansion in the rush to work in the morning, so I ended up playing the Vagabond which was quite fun. The Woodland Alliance seemed to end up snowballing as people were neglecting to crush the sympathy mid-game, I came second where I would have one if the WA hadn't that turn. The Cats NEARLY took victory with a domination card, but WA managed to snipe one of their Rabbit Clearings so they couldn't take it the following turn. Birds were accelerating like crazy until a huge turmoil just blew them into 4th place.

I did have some questions though, I'll flick through the rulebook more today, but off hand:
Quests, do you exhaust items for the Vagabond to accomplish quests, and are you limited in the number of quests you can accomplish per turn? Or can you just bang out 3 quests in one clearing if you have the respective items?

Hostile state, can you climb out of this? according to the flow chart, you can't, so once hostile you're set for the game vs that faction?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Flipswitch posted:

We played Root last night!, it was a great success so thanks to everyone who replied.

I am a dumbass and forgot to pack the expansion in the rush to work in the morning, so I ended up playing the Vagabond which was quite fun. The Woodland Alliance seemed to end up snowballing as people were neglecting to crush the sympathy mid-game, I came second where I would have one if the WA hadn't that turn. The Cats NEARLY took victory with a domination card, but WA managed to snipe one of their Rabbit Clearings so they couldn't take it the following turn. Birds were accelerating like crazy until a huge turmoil just blew them into 4th place.

I did have some questions though, I'll flick through the rulebook more today, but off hand:
Quests, do you exhaust items for the Vagabond to accomplish quests, and are you limited in the number of quests you can accomplish per turn? Or can you just bang out 3 quests in one clearing if you have the respective items?

Hostile state, can you climb out of this? according to the flow chart, you can't, so once hostile you're set for the game vs that faction?

Items are exhausted by quests, but you can perform multiple in a turn.

It is possible to get out of Hostile state if you use a Dominance card to form a coalition with a hostile player.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Triskelli posted:

Items are exhausted by quests, but you can perform multiple in a turn.

It is possible to get out of Hostile state if you use a Dominance card to form a coalition with a hostile player.
Ahh, awesome, thanks! I must have missed the exhaust point. It didn't come up but it was a question that occurred to me at the end of the game. I didn't really read about Coalitions, so I'd need to read that rule again to see how it works.

I'm keen to try the Possum, he looks like a bastard.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

golden bubble posted:

I’ve played it a few times. It’s pretty decent. I don’t think it’s as good as Dominion or Valley of the Kings, but it’s a deckbuilder I’d play again if someone wanted to play it; which is not something I’d say about a lot of other deckbuilders.