Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Kitchner posted:

So I managed to quit this habit for like 6 years and then a friend bought some Tau and now he's organised a kill team game(s) session at a gaming place in London.

I have a massive imperial guard army but I ended up seeing Eisenhorn had a limited edition figure so I bought him and started painting him, idea was to use him on kill team.

However, when I wrote my kill team list because Eisenhorn is so expensive and everyone wants to do 100 points, the list is basically: Eisenhorn, Guard Sergeant, Guardsman with Plasma Gun, Guardsman with Meltagun, and Guardsman with flamer.

I then bought some Valhallans (thanks ebay) and have began painting them for a caiphas Cain theme kill team, which is essentially: Lord Commissar, Guard Sergant, Scion with Meltagun, guardsman with vox and comms, guardsman with flamer, guardsman with grenade launcher, and six guardsmen with lasguns.

So I've not played kill team and its been a long time since I played 40K but I would assume the second kill team is more competitive because 70% of the points aren't sunk into one model. Is there anyone here who's played kill team who can comment on how awful the Eisenhorn team would be? I really would like to use it but it seems like a single model would just get blasted off the table by any other kill team.

There's a couple of articles on goonhammer that might be able to help you out:

This one is an intro to Kill Team.

And this one is about playing Guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Thanks guys.

It's just a casual couple of games with friends so it doesn't need to be super competitive, but if I took Eisenhorn and he just got blasted to bits immediately it wouldn't be very fun.

It's 100 points but they've said commanders are OK, and since the Lord Commissar is only 25 points I am more comfortable with that then Eisenhorn. I guess I'll use the 100 points with the Lord Commissar plus guardsmen.

I'll definetly give the goon hammer articles a read, I saw some of the site through somewhere else and didn't even realise it was from people here.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Your Kill Team can be led by the noted Imperial Hero, Lord Commissar Biaphas Bain

Edit: If you have a couple of Ratling minis, Rein and Raus are a pair of pretty cheap and fun sneaky dudes who can pull off some silly shenanigans.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 14, 2019

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is now how i see all Ultramarines speaking and no one can change my mind :colbert:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I picture the Ultramarines talking like 80s caricatures of Italian people.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
wow that's spectacularly unfunny

is it supposed to be funny?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Maybe the pressure of actually making them for warham community got to him.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

gender illusionist posted:

wow that's spectacularly unfunny

is it supposed to be funny?
webcomics.txt

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JBP posted:

I picture the Ultramarines talking like 80s caricatures of Italian people.

Like... like this?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

quote:

Codex Supplement: Salamanders: £ 17.50
Codex Supplement: Imperial Fists: £ 17.50
Datacards: Salamanders: £ 10.00
Datacards: Imperial Fists: £ 10.00

Space Marines Primaris Impulsor: £ 45.00
Space Marines Primaris Infiltrators: £ 35.00
Imperial Fists Tor Garadon: £ 25.00
Imperial Fists Primaris Upgrades & Transfers: £ 15.00
Salamanders Adrax Agatone: £ 25.00
Salamanders Primaris Upgrades & Transfers: £ 15.00

No real surprises here. Like with the Dunerider I'm gonna hold off until some of this stuff shows in a boxed set, because £45 for a ~80pt transport is nuts.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/14/act-on-impulsegw-homepage-post-3/

Rules preview for the Camaro up.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't wait to fork out over 100 dollarydoos for a glorified power ute.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
That missile launcher is actually pretty ugly.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I dunno, I actually kind of like the Impulsor, which is a bit odd since I’m not a fan of the Repulsor at all. A 4++ on a transport with a good number of anti-infantry shots seems pretty decent. I don’t think I’d consider running it for the weapon options though.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

I dunno, I actually kind of like the Impulsor, which is a bit odd since I’m not a fan of the Repulsor at all. A 4++ on a transport with a good number of anti-infantry shots seems pretty decent. I don’t think I’d consider running it for the weapon options though.

The missile is probably worth considering as a Salamanders player, otherwise I think you will primarily see the 4++. I am not totally sure if I am gonna get one, it might be good for hellblasters or veteran intercessors with a thunder hammer, but I need to see my supplement first.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

ineptmule posted:

Your Kill Team can be led by the noted Imperial Hero, Lord Commissar Biaphas Bain

Edit: If you have a couple of Ratling minis, Rein and Raus are a pair of pretty cheap and fun sneaky dudes who can pull off some silly shenanigans.

I actually bought a daemon host miniature that is 100% cherubael from a Russian website and they make knock off 40K novel miniatures. So like they call him something like Heroic Commissar 2 because the first was taken down due to a cease and desist. My favourite one is they sell a Ravenor model and he's called "Mr Chair".

The Caiphas Cain model is drinking some tanna tea and he looks like the Cain from the cover (which is different to how he's described).

I actually made a conversion of caiphas Cain ages ago, started touching him up a bit as he's been in storage a while (his gold needs to be finished , but I think he mostly looks recogniseable. I have an old school chainsword for him painted up but it broke off, so for kill team my excuse is he's just that good with his chainsword and Las pistol they count as a power sword and bolt pistol.

Edit: This is Caiphas Cain's war face. Sideburns for life.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 14, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kitchner posted:

I actually bought a daemon host miniature that is 100% cherubael from a Russian website and they make knock off 40K novel miniatures. So like they call him something like Heroic Commissar 2 because the first was taken down due to a cease and desist. My favourite one is they sell a Ravenor model and he's called "Mr Chair".

"His body is cripled and almost dead, but will and loyalty is stronger than ever. His soul is hardened in flame, his service is not over, his enemies are doomed. Mr Chair is here!"

Funny ad copy aside, Artel W does good work.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kitchner posted:

Thanks guys.

It's just a casual couple of games with friends so it doesn't need to be super competitive, but if I took Eisenhorn and he just got blasted to bits immediately it wouldn't be very fun.

It's 100 points but they've said commanders are OK, and since the Lord Commissar is only 25 points I am more comfortable with that then Eisenhorn. I guess I'll use the 100 points with the Lord Commissar plus guardsmen.

I'll definetly give the goon hammer articles a read, I saw some of the site through somewhere else and didn't even realise it was from people here.

At 100 points you're better off without a commander. Take more bodies.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

They should put portholes on the side so they can shoot at people.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

A point through which transported models can fire through, or "fire point" if you will?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

But it's a space marine pick up truck and they're riding in the back. Why would they need portholes for that?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Inspector_666 posted:

At 100 points you're better off without a commander. Take more bodies.

I could do but I wanted to do something a little cooler. I get that the super competitive way would be for me to spam cadians with plasma guns but I felt that was a bit dull.

Plus I think I only own like 4 cadian plasma guns and you take take 8 in kill team. It was meltaguns were where it was at when I played in 5th so I have loads of them.

Eisenhorn would be even cooler than Cain, I just foresaw me getting obliterated pretty much turn 1 or 2 and then sulking. Wanted to make sure that's an accurate assessment before I give up my hopes and dreams.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 14, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Not taking a Commander at 100 points isn't a 'play competitive' move, it's a 'don't get your poo poo pushed in' move. It's going to be really tough to even play close games if you're checking for break when the third Guardsman goes down.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Strobe posted:

Not taking a Commander at 100 points isn't a 'play competitive' move, it's a 'don't get your poo poo pushed in' move. It's going to be really tough to even play close games if you're checking for break when the third Guardsman goes down.

I'm playing as Vallhallans so they only use a D3 for nerve checks rather than a D6, and as long as the Lord Commissar isn't instantly smushed they have Ld 9 which is what the break test is taken against right?

The way I looked at it the Lord Commissar is 27 points, which is basically 5 extra bodies with lasguns, or maybe 2/3 with a special weapon. I definetly see having 3 guardsmen with plasma guns being better than the Lord Commissar but I didn't think it would be that disastrous.

I don't think anyone else has super competitive lists and most people have never played the game before, so I was hoping taking a cool narrative list will be fun without getting anhiliated. I don't even mind losing as long as its not like "you're tabled by turn two" or whatever.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Am I right in thinking that Assassins got official rules for Shadow War Armageddon, but not for Kill Team afterwards?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Killteam you can run elite lists of 5 or 6 models when your basic troop has multiple wounds or really good saves like marines, where they can hold objectives by themselves and really defend them, Guard really aren't that. Most teams are much more comfortable in the 9-15 model range not only because almost every killteam has some kind of special weapon that can reliably delete a model each turn, but because map presence is really important.

Even at 100 points tau can bring two railguns and multiple drones to defend the sniper nest and still have enough troops to grab every objective on the board.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 14, 2019

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

But it's a space marine pick up truck and they're riding in the back. Why would they need portholes for that?

The inspiration for the space Barbie truck

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kitchner posted:

I'm playing as Vallhallans so they only use a D3 for nerve checks rather than a D6, and as long as the Lord Commissar isn't instantly smushed they have Ld 9 which is what the break test is taken against right?

The way I looked at it the Lord Commissar is 27 points, which is basically 5 extra bodies with lasguns, or maybe 2/3 with a special weapon. I definetly see having 3 guardsmen with plasma guns being better than the Lord Commissar but I didn't think it would be that disastrous.

I don't think anyone else has super competitive lists and most people have never played the game before, so I was hoping taking a cool narrative list will be fun without getting09 anhiliated. I don't even mind losing as long as its not like "you're tabled by turn two" or whatever.

I was mostly aimed at the Inquisitor list with five total models. The Commissar list is... less of a disaster waiting to happen. Eleven models is still on the low side for Guard that's not bringing a huge brace of special weapons, though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

The inspiration for the space Barbie truck

I mean you're not wrong in case. If I could I would've totally modelled a bunch of intercessors sitting on the edges of one.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Does the impusor come with booster seats for tac marines

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I thought the Repulsor was the Space Bradley.

"Tech Priest Smith! Could you explain why you put those portholes there?"

"You told me to, Archmagos."

"What are we, the Navy?"

"Say... could you make this thing fly?"

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
It's kind of annoying that the first Primaris vehicle with Actually Good And Interesting equipment choices will almost always be taken in the 4+ invulnerable save format because of all the shenanigans it enables.

I do hope we see some cheeky lists with 3-4 of these that use the orbital bombardments to snipe Ferrios out.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

nite_moogle posted:

It's kind of annoying that the first Primaris vehicle with Actually Good And Interesting equipment choices will almost always be taken in the 4+ invulnerable save format because of all the shenanigans it enables.

I do hope we see some cheeky lists with 3-4 of these that use the orbital bombardments to snipe Ferrios out.

I feel pretty sure there will several attempts to spam-bomb them just as LOS blocking/tie-up units.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

DandyLion posted:

I feel pretty sure there will several attempts to spam-bomb them just as LOS blocking/tie-up units.

It'll work too. Using transports to cut off firing lines and as spearheads to eat Overwatch before your dudes charge is already very effective with Rhinos, and these are faster, allow better positioning for the Intercessors (which you probably made Veterans) they've moving, and are more than twice as difficult to kill with the shield array.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Is there a fluff reason why the different species of marines can't use each other's transports?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
The fluff is they needed a reason to scrap Rhinos and sell Rhino replacements.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

goose willis posted:

Is there a fluff reason why the different species of marines can't use each other's transports?

Bullying

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

goose willis posted:

Seat Belts are too big/small.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

dexefiend posted:

The fluff is they needed a reason to scrap Rhinos and sell Rhino replacements.

I could have actually accept it if the fluff reason was that Primaris are too big for the Rhino chassis given that terminators have had this problem since the beginning of time. Unfortunately, that would mean that they'd need to allow Primaris in larger vehicles, which GW clearly does not want to do, for the reason you've given.

I think a GW panelist at one point gave the tounge in cheek answer that Primaris just don't know/can't learn how to drive small marine vehicles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Mef989 posted:

I could have actually accept it if the fluff reason was that Primaris are too big for the Rhino chassis given that terminators have had this problem since the beginning of time. Unfortunately, that would mean that they'd need to allow Primaris in larger vehicles, which GW clearly does not want to do, for the reason you've given.

I think a GW panelist at one point gave the tounge in cheek answer that Primaris just don't know/can't learn how to drive small marine vehicles?

Primaris hands are literally bigger, so they can't operate the door controls, or fit their finger into trigger grips. This is why a primaris chaplain can ride in a valkyrie in a book, someone else let him in.