Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I just wanted to play as Bane in the challenge rooms.

So if someone took the mask off Bane, he dies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Codependent Poster posted:

It's the predator rooms except you can't grapnel up. You just have to get in there and wreck everyone before they gun you down.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

it would be very painful

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

it would be very painful

He's a big guy

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

For you

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Roth posted:

It was really weird finding out that DC Universe Online is still being supported enough that it's doing its own version of Dark Knights Metal
When that was first coming out I had a chance to ask the devs about just how much synergy it would have with in-universe DC events and they *totally* hedged against it being ignored by DC by saying they wanted their own events to reflect the Deep History of the DCU.

So of course a while later their first big expansion was based on whatever GL emotional spectrum stuff was just starting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If we're talking about synergy and continuity, I'm still kinda disappointed the Arkham series took the departure it did after the first one. Asylum's continuity is very clearly "Every Batman story you like has already happened, but we're not shackling ourselves to the current status quo, everyone is alive and in their most iconic version", and that was a fine place to be for a video game that features a very experienced Batman fighting All Your Favorites. But starting with City they took a wildly different tack and decide that only the things they felt like having already happened had happened, and they happened in a different way than you expect from reading the comics, but they're not going to elaborate on that unless they feel like it, and they're going to redo classic villain origin stories and classic storylines but in an awkward sped-up way.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Probably because of the voices but I had always convinced myself that it took place in TAS continuity

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

If we're talking about synergy and continuity, I'm still kinda disappointed the Arkham series took the departure it did after the first one. Asylum's continuity is very clearly "Every Batman story you like has already happened, but we're not shackling ourselves to the current status quo, everyone is alive and in their most iconic version", and that was a fine place to be for a video game that features a very experienced Batman fighting All Your Favorites. But starting with City they took a wildly different tack and decide that only the things they felt like having already happened had happened, and they happened in a different way than you expect from reading the comics, but they're not going to elaborate on that unless they feel like it, and they're going to redo classic villain origin stories and classic storylines but in an awkward sped-up way.

Asylum felt it was made before they considered being greenlit for sequels. I didn't mind them having created their own continuity afterwards even if they leaned really hard into the dick Batman that I don't like very much, but yeah. Asylum blatantly does not make sense with its prequel and sequels with regards to a few riddles and other comments.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Arkham Knight is a completely original character and will be our mark on the Batman mythos, just like Harley Quinn just kidding it's loving Red Hood

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

The Arkham Knight is a completely original character and will be our mark on the Batman mythos, just like Harley Quinn just kidding it's loving Red Hood

I wonder if anyone who knows anything about Batman didn't figure it out the second Arkham Knight showed up and said "I know all your moves and you're going down, OLD MAN".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't know that much about the nitty gritty of the Bat-Family and even I was like "this is loving Jason Todd"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not even exaggerating when I say the first line he says gives it away. And the world's greatest detective can't figure it out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I wonder if anyone who knows anything about Batman didn't figure it out the second Arkham Knight showed up and said "I know all your moves and you're going down, OLD MAN".

Literally everyone knew. The only reason there was an iota of doubt was because they straight-up lied and said it wasn't him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Literally everyone knew. The only reason there was an iota of doubt was because they straight-up lied and said it wasn't him.

Wasn't there a leak, too? Not that their ham handed storytelling needed it to collapse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Wasn't there a leak, too? Not that their ham handed storytelling needed it to collapse.

Yeah, at bare minimum Gamestop leaked a "Red Hood" statue or something for the game.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They had a Red Hood mission pack or something as a pre-order bonus.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I remember when the trailer that revealed the Arkham Knight's design came out and people saw a gun in his hand and went "Oh, it's Jason Todd." Any leaks were just confirmation of what everyone was already assuming.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Jason Todd didn't exist in the Arkham games until Knight either.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's really what made it lame. They tried to pull out Jason Todd as a big surprise when there was absolutely no buildup or investment in the character outside of like, one or two weird hallucination things. Which were only there to tell you that the Knight was going to be Jason, and killed it's own surprise.

If they had made dealing with guilt over Jason a thing in Arkham City or something it would have felt more natural but this was just kind of a mess.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also, the way they wrote Batman in those games, there's no way he wouldn't have just snapped Joker"s neck the next time they met after seeing the video of Jason Todd "dying." The timeline makes no sense because it had to have happened before Arkham City.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

He couldn't have killed Joker early, because Joker is the main character of the Arkham games (and most Batman stories in general, tbh)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

omg chael crash posted:

Probably because of the voices but I had always convinced myself that it took place in TAS continuity

Barbara never gets Killing Joked in TAS though

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not even exaggerating when I say the first line he says gives it away. And the world's greatest detective can't figure it out.

You can maybe possibly argue that they intentionally made it that way with Batman not wanting to confront it but they should've sown more seeds of denial for it to really work

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That was my big problem with it. In general I prefer Jason to be dead in Batman continuity, but I get it. It's the last one. They want the whole family. So we have DLC with 3 Robins and Batgirl and Catwoman. That's fun and neat. But we really had no reason to believe Tim wasn't just the second Robin until suddenly we're getting all these Jason flashbacks. Come on. Asylum frankly pretended there wasn't even a Robin!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like the only reason they even did the song and dance about him being the "Arkham Knight" and not Red Hood is so they could name the game Arkham Something because hoo boy did they put themselves into a corner with that one.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I always thought it should have been Harley Quinn as the Arkham Knight. She's got the motivation to do it, because she thinks Batman killed the Joker, more than rando Jason Todd.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That accent in a heavy voice filter trying to be scary.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

so they could name the game Arkham Something because hoo boy did they put themselves into a corner with that one.
What's next?? Arkham world? Arkham PLANET?!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah I had it spoiled for me and was kind of bummed, but then I actually played the game and realized I would have figured it out in 5 minutes given how loudly they telegraph it. Not exactly the most solid mystery.
I did kind of like the end with the bat ears breaking off and his helmet getting turned into a red hood one, that was kind of neat

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Arkham Beyond, make it Terry

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waffleman_ posted:

And Terry is actually Joker's son

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

FilthyImp posted:

In the 853rd century, Pluto is Arkham Planet.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

I admit i was just quoting the game originally but, well, this ain't half bad.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SonicRulez posted:

That was my big problem with it. In general I prefer Jason to be dead in Batman continuity, but I get it. It's the last one. They want the whole family. So we have DLC with 3 Robins and Batgirl and Catwoman. That's fun and neat. But we really had no reason to believe Tim wasn't just the second Robin until suddenly we're getting all these Jason flashbacks. Come on. Asylum frankly pretended there wasn't even a Robin!

Wasn't there a line in Asylum where Joker suggested he killed a Robin? Anyway, I think it was a mistake for Tim to be Robin in A Matter of Family. It should have been Jason, so we could at least have seen him before he "died." As is, we never see Jason before he gets captured by the Joker (unless I'm forgetting a small scene).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

catlord posted:

Wasn't there a line in Asylum where Joker suggested he killed a Robin? Anyway, I think it was a mistake for Tim to be Robin in A Matter of Family. It should have been Jason, so we could at least have seen him before he "died." As is, we never see Jason before he gets captured by the Joker (unless I'm forgetting a small scene).

If there was, I don't remember it. The only line of dialogue I remember that even hints at Robin in Asylum is in an optional conversation with Joker. I don't recall him alluding to killing him. Either way, you're prolly right on A Matter of Family. It should have been Jason. Or they could've had Jason in an Arkham Origins DLC. Something. That series is sped up.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm still baffled that in the Arkham games, they paired up Barbara with Tim instead of Dick.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

I think they miiiight make a reference, but like people mentioned earlier, that game is littered with little winks to other characters/things from Batman lore that make no sense in the sequels*, probably because they didn't know they'd get a sequel at the time.

*the one that sticks out to me is that at one point there's a chalkboard that lists Hush as an on call doctor there, but in the sequels I think he's new in town

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What I wanna know is why Tim Drake's design in Arkham City and Arkham Knight was clearly based on Chris O'Donell's Robin.

There are a lot of bad designs in the Arkham games but this one is completely baffling.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
No nipples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soonmot posted:

No nipples