Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Midjack posted:

lol if you expect anything good from that loving place.

The architecture is quite good, at least the Saarinen stuff. But that’s literally the only aspect of IAD I’ll ever defend. I have even been known to do DCA>JFK>wherever rather than going out to IAD to fly direct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

:cawg:

As long as you don't have a 14 hour layover during the day, it's still not as bad as it could be. :suicide:

On the way back, we have a 2 hour layover in Doha.

On the way there, it’s, uh, 20 hours.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I miss getting to ride on Dulles moon patrol.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Come on back and you can get screeched at by some bitch who works there because you’re sitting on “her bench.”

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Come on back and you can get screeched at by some bitch who works there because you’re sitting on “her bench.”

Nah, I'm alright, a day spent outside Loudon or Fairfax county or not using gendered insults is a good day.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

gendered insults

lmao

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Midjack posted:

lol if you expect anything good from that loving place.

yeah our definition of drinkable is different.

I can do some cheap booze, but not champagne

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I wouldn’t mind so much if they were at least electric but no, they spend all day burning diesel and being lovely.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Love getting on a plane and see some guy putting his rollerboard, a back pack and what I assume was a CPAP in the overhead so that he has nothing at his feet.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

I’m flying coach to South Africa on Qatar airways on an a350-1000 and a 900. I’ve never taken a flight this long. How miserable will I be?

You’ll live, at least it’s on an A350. I’ve done SEA-ATL-JNB on Delta’s 772 for the long hop in coach and if you are able to pass out on planes, it goes by “quick”.

I started with “gently caress, 17 hours” and then passed out, then it was “gently caress, now it’s like a flight to Japan”, “ok, now it’s like a flight to London”, “ok, now we’re near US transcon”, “Jesus Christ I could have done two round trips SEA-DTW in the time I’ve been on this plane”. Intersperse little bursts of sleep between each and you get the picture.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I did LAX - ICN and ICN - JFK on Asiana (about 14 hours) and it sucked. I don’t know how that exit row seat managed to be so uncomfortable. Qatar is supposed to be pretty good though, right?

I’d also like to say that DL’s 767-4s are loving terrible. I’m only 5’8 and that leg space is atrocious.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

movax posted:

You’ll live, at least it’s on an A350. I’ve done SEA-ATL-JNB on Delta’s 772 for the long hop in coach and if you are able to pass out on planes, it goes by “quick”.

I started with “gently caress, 17 hours” and then passed out, then it was “gently caress, now it’s like a flight to Japan”, “ok, now it’s like a flight to London”, “ok, now we’re near US transcon”, “Jesus Christ I could have done two round trips SEA-DTW in the time I’ve been on this plane”. Intersperse little bursts of sleep between each and you get the picture.

On the way there, we’re going East coast to Doha, spending a day catching some quick sights, then going on to Cape Town. On the way back, it’s jnb-doh-phl with a two hour layover, for a total of almost 30 hours. I imagine the layover will be like purgatory.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

very few healthy people die on these flights believe it or not

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Re-qualified as AA Executive platinum last night with >$17k EQD. First time I qual’ed on miles, but I am within 3 segments anyway :v:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Anyone try a Nomatic bag? I'm eyeing the travel pack for my 1-2 day trips to avoid having to bring a roller with me

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Which lounge is best at Vancouver/YVH? There are so many

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

bort posted:

Which lounge is best at Vancouver/YVH? There are so many

which terminal? the air canada lounge in international is okay. the domestic and transborder terminals aren't worth the visit

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Do any of you rock an external travel monitor? I had one years ago, but the newer stuff is miles ahead of what I used to have. Anything anyone can recommend for thunderbolt 3/USB3?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 18, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Warbird posted:

Do any of you rock an external monitor? I had one years ago, but the newer stuff is miles ahead of what I used to have. Anything anyone can recommend for thunderbolt 3/USB3?

My laptop keyboard is only used when traveling. I have an external keyboard mouse and huge rear end monitor (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q7VCSGU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that gets used when I'm at home. Of course this comes along with an extra power supply and all cables on the desk because the travel bag has it's own set of everything and the only thing that ever comes out of it at home is work laptop.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Whoops, I forgot the important word of “travel” in my initial post. My b. That does look pretty sweet though. I might have to get one of those for the office.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I travel with a small projector that's used to throw up stuff on the wall for presentations. Its only like 400$ I think (looked into getting one for personal use) and is slim enough to fit in my briefcase. I use it in hotel rooms for work occasionally. If you're interested I can post the make and model when i dig it out packing this weekend

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Appreciated, but I’ll be using it for dev work and that may not be practical on the client site.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Warbird posted:

Whoops, I forgot the important word of “travel” in my initial post.

So you're talking about traveling with an additional monitor? gently caress no. There are some options to use tablets to extend your display depending on what your thing is, but that sounds like a recipe for frustration.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

If you can’t find a spare monitor at the client’s office then just deal with using a single screen. Hauling a monitor will be an incredible pain in the rear end.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I beg to differ. The modern ones are slim as hell and perfectly portable. I’m hoping there is a decent thunderbolt one with a good resolution. I can only run so many terminal windows on one screen.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If the client can’t supply an extra monitor for you to work on just buy a cheap monitor when you get to town and leave it at the client site when you’re done.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Warbird posted:

I beg to differ. The modern ones are slim as hell and perfectly portable. I’m hoping there is a decent thunderbolt one with a good resolution. I can only run so many terminal windows on one screen.

I travel with an iPad Pro and use it as a second monitor using a $20 app called Duet. I end up using the iPad on flights extensively for downloaded Netflix and Youtube videos.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

who is ready to enjoy the chaos of brexit?

anyone else having to do a carnet just in case?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Midjack posted:

If the client can’t supply an extra monitor for you to work on just buy a cheap monitor when you get to town and leave it at the client site when you’re done.

this makes sense if you're always in the same place, but if you are frequently spending a day or two at a bunch of sites it does not work.

my colleagues in this situation use roughly 15" portable USB displays. they work well and are powered from USB. weigh just a bit more than a tablet.

sellouts posted:

who is ready to enjoy the chaos of brexit?

anyone else having to do a carnet just in case?

im just avoiding the entire UK

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my colleagues in this situation use roughly 15" portable USB displays. they work well and are powered from USB. weigh just a bit more than a tablet.

This is what I use - ASUS MB168B 15.6” USB 3. It is well worth the extra 1.7 pounds, fits easily in the backpack next to the laptop, and I don’t have to take either out in Pre.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Warbird posted:

That's pretty drat cool, had no idea portable monitors like this existed.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Barry posted:

That's pretty drat cool, had no idea portable monitors like this existed.

Yeah same. That’s kind of tempting

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I had one for a while and they work great.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

keevo posted:

I did LAX - ICN and ICN - JFK on Asiana (about 14 hours) and it sucked. I don’t know how that exit row seat managed to be so uncomfortable.

I've down LAX - ICN and ICN - LAX a handful of times on Asiana and I didn't think of the seats as uncomfortable. I mean they weren't amazing but way better than trying to do a trans-pacific flight on an US carrier.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There doesn't seem to be a jobs thread for non-IT nerds, so I'm advertising here.

My company is going into a big hiring phase and we have openings for an absolute crap ton of Senior Account Executives. Like 16 openings. We're a major player in our space (enterprise databases) and the compensation is really, really good, as you'd expect from a ~20 year old Silicon Valley techbro firm with a multi billion $ valuation. I'm not part of sales, but the culture here is amazing and you'd have to pay me $FuckYou to leave.

So if you have 5+ years of sales experience in tech (bonus if it's in databases), hit me up on PMs so I can get that sweet signup bonusyou a better job!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Totally recommend it for almost any instance. I was hoping someone here was up on the newer stuff, but I’m glad it’ll help ya’ll out. The Asus ones I linked are perfectly good for general usage, but I’m the sort of person that has opinions on terminal fonts so I’m a tad more particular.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Banzai 3 posted:

This is what I use - ASUS MB168B 15.6” USB 3. It is well worth the extra 1.7 pounds, fits easily in the backpack next to the laptop, and I don’t have to take either out in Pre.

I have this one too, it's exactly what Kyoon Griffey is looking for.

Makes a bigger difference than you would think and not hard to haul around/deal with. Plug in USB 3 and bang, 15.6 inches of 1080p glory sitting next to your laptop screen.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Some numbers from this trip that surprised me:

2 - bridges closed on a Friday in London

16 - euros for a cappuccino at the hotel in Paris

45 - minutes to go 2 miles in Central London on Friday morning.

Edit: as I’m writing this it’s taken 45 minutes to cross Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park because of protests at Marble Arch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
C13 - my southwest number. I caved and bought A class checkin for $30 at the airport so I can nap against the window on this hour long flight to Oakland and avoid a middle seat.

I remember back in the day buying an entire one way fare to college on this same route for $39. My college self would not recognize this bougie behavior