Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

WSL is good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Is it going to be single-player playable or bullshit all-online all-MP all-microtrans?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
according to that very video it has a fully offline mode with reduced fidelity or pre-cached regions.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Is it going to be single-player playable or bullshit all-online all-MP all-microtrans?

I dont think flight sims are a market large enough for microtransactions to be worth it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zlodo posted:

I dont think flight sims are a market large enough for microtransactions to be worth it

the entire business model of dcs is free to play

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
fully paid commercial dlc ala truck/train/farming simulators seem to be a pretty deep well

i think european train simulator has more

mystes
May 31, 2006

Last Chance posted:

lmao

also hope you like your ripped cds in wma format. I had a friend that used wmp exclusively then switched to iTunes and transcoded all their wmas to 128kbps aac :gonk:
In XP wmp also defaulted to using DRM on files you ripped with it so you couldn't transfer them to other computers.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

how else you gonna listen to your PlaysForSure files from Wal-Mart Music?

playsforsure was some peak microsoft poo poo

since when is "you can actually play the file" meant to be a feature to get consumers excited?

their mp3s always played for sure

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

the entire business model of dcs is free to play

infernal machines posted:

fully paid commercial dlc ala truck/train/farming simulators seem to be a pretty deep well

ah well then its not looking good for fs

pram
Jun 10, 2001

mystes posted:

In XP wmp also defaulted to using DRM on files you ripped with it so you couldn't transfer them to other computers.

lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Kempy posted:

streaming killed winamp

i listened to plenty of SHOUTcast on winamp.... Bitch

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zlodo posted:

yeah they have macrotransactions instead

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Sapozhnik posted:

i mean this is kind of the problem with building upon vertically-integrated microsoft stuff in general isn't it

any given library or program will most likely fail in the open-source "marketplace"

"microsoft stuff" is a large category. you should feel quite confident building on some things (e.g. .net, typescript, mssql) and less so other things. taking a dependency on any technology, microsoft or not, always carries risk. it might not catch on, it might be obsoleted quickly by some newer thing, or it might be acquired by oracle. with microsoft stuff, if the thing survives through a few versions and also sees significant adoption within multiple microsoft orgs, that's a safe bet (but it's still a bet).

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah they have macrotransactions instead

old fat guys selling $500 addons

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im glad i listened to shagger and became a certified Silverlight Developer

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Fiedler posted:

for the record, service fabric isn't completely terrible. it does what it says on the label and it's battle-tested at incredible scale in azure services that make a lot of money. but everyone seems to agree that kubernetes has won and so service fabric is destined for the legacy tech bin.

so much of kubernetes is garbage trash that's obviously never been tested at any scale
:byodood: service mesh !

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

infernal machines posted:

i think european train simulator has more

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

did we diagnose and fix microsoft yet itt

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

some people really love trains i guess

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

theadder posted:

did we diagnose and fix microsoft yet itt

diagnosed with being cool now that apple has failed post steve jobs

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

link ?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shaggar posted:

blue plastic wmp was the same exact thing as before (a directshow player) with a different skin. no version of itunes has ever been as usable.

wasnt there also a skin that was more like the previous version?

Smythe posted:

i listened to plenty of SHOUTcast on winamp.... Bitch

gently caress yeah streaming radio and streaming djs were great in the heyday of winamp, i also watched a lot of weird action and crime movies and mst3k episodes. poo poo was hot back when the only other streaming option was realplayer

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

384k video streams with massive gaps between i-frames

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

50mb .rm files of South Park episodes downloaded from KaZaa

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

spankmeister posted:

50mb .rm files of South Park episodes downloaded from KaZaa

those ruled because the animation was so crappy especially in the first seasons that the .rm's worked....fine.

like, you could fullscreen the poo poo and sit back 2 feet and it was watchable on your 17" trinitron CRT

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/Train_Simulator_2020/

Train Simulator is a weird case because they update the engine and rename it every year and change which maps/trains/etc. it is bundled with.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

pseudorandom name posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/Train_Simulator_2020/

Train Simulator is a weird case because they update the engine and rename it every year and change which maps/trains/etc. it is bundled with.

i clicked that link and the video started to autoplay and the immediately the first thing in my head was playing along biggie smalls come on to the theme of thomas the tank engine intro

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
it's really hard to take something seriously under that set of conditions

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

those ruled because the animation was so crappy especially in the first seasons that the .rm's worked....fine.

the animation was better in the early episodes

they expended a ridiculous amount of money making it look like cut paper. they spent like $200k+ per workstation on hardware and software and they had 6 or 8 workstations to make those early episodes

nowadays they don't bother with any of that, it just looks like poo poo instead of looking like poo poo in a creative way

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnAMDg7IVWs

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the animation was better in the early episodes

they expended a ridiculous amount of money making it look like cut paper. they spent like $200k+ per workstation on hardware and software and they had 6 or 8 workstations to make those early episodes

nowadays they don't bother with any of that, it just looks like poo poo instead of looking like poo poo in a creative way

i doubt that detail was conveyed in the 47mb .rm files.

they looked fine to watch and smoke weed to tho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Every flight simulator is already full of paid add-ons. The FSX/X-Plane/DCS model where the game comes with some number of planes to start you out and then each new one is 20 to 80 dollars depending on complexity is actually one of the most benign; in things like war thunder or il-2 you have to play multiplayer matches in order to unlock basic poo poo like incendiary ammo or long range fuel tanks.

new flight simulator has already cut out a huge chunk of the addon market by having what looks to be a higher resolution, more accurately modeled world than ever seen before. I will be fine buying the program and then spending more money now and then for a specific new plane I'd like to fly.

The real concern is that, given the reliance on streaming data, they might make it a subscription service

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Every flight simulator is already full of paid add-ons. The FSX/X-Plane/DCS model where the game comes with some number of planes to start you out and then each new one is 20 to 80 dollars depending on complexity is actually one of the most benign; in things like war thunder or il-2 you have to play multiplayer matches in order to unlock basic poo poo like incendiary ammo or long range fuel tanks.

new flight simulator has already cut out a huge chunk of the addon market by having what looks to be a higher resolution, more accurately modeled world than ever seen before. I will be fine buying the program and then spending more money now and then for a specific new plane I'd like to fly.

The real concern is that, given the reliance on streaming data, they might make it a subscription service

they said there was no subscription back when it was first announced

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the bing maps api calls will be flagged as consumer usage in order to offset the hosting costs and to improve the consumer engagement numbers for bing. kind of like accidental start menu searches.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Shaggar posted:

the bing maps api calls will be flagged as consumer usage in order to offset the hosting costs and to improve the consumer engagement numbers for bing. kind of like accidental start menu searches.

you should be a microsoft pm

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

WSL is good imo

good for clowns, at the circus

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Cooler and better than iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sniep posted:

i clicked that link and the video started to autoplay and the immediately the first thing in my head was playing along biggie smalls come on to the theme of thomas the tank engine intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVEcdAQF4Zs