Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lobok posted:

It's not even a good burn from their perspective. Like yeah, my homeworld blew up shortly after I left it as an infant (or fetus if you're John Byrne), totes my fault.

Also, Lex is admitting Batman is as smart or smarter than him? Is his power armour constricting blood flow to his brain?

I took it as a "Sink the boat you're in just to kill the captain" moment to rub the fact that Batman is dead on their faces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Maybe he was worried Batman was standing behind him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Batman has also come up with multiple plans to kill Superman.

Luthor can respect that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mulva posted:

Batman has also come up with multiple plans to kill Superman.

Luthor can respect that.

Kinda want to see Luthor try to pull a Tower of Babel and steal one, only Bruce probably put in an Anti-Luthor failsafe after that story.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

imo it takes a very luthorian view of both intelligence and humanity to think batman is the most intelligent human on dc earth

e: Cyborg is right there

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 14, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doc Hawkins posted:

imo it takes a very luthorian view of both intelligence and humanity to think batman is the most intelligent human on dc earth

He asked him on the previous page (while complementing him) why had they not worked together before. Cyborg’s reply was “well you kept trying to kill my friends”

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like that page in concept but I think the writing is kinda trash with the pointless Batman dicksucking and the way too many words after punching luthor in the face. I like it still though because luthor deserves punches in the face often.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Kinda want to see Luthor try to pull a Tower of Babel and steal one, only Bruce probably put in an Anti-Luthor failsafe after that story.

In Squadron Supreme: Hyperion vs Nighthawk, the Batman expy steals the Lex Luthor expy's diary of plans to murder every superhero just so he can mildly inconvenience the Superman expy. It's great.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Has Luther ever been accused of being Batman?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

it's bizarre to me that anyone suspects batman to be maintaining a public life of any kind. even if you accept he's human and not an animistic spirit of vengeance, he could just be living in the sewers like the ninja turtles. also he seems like a pretty busy guy! but i guess now they have many stories of superheroes getting revealed to judge by.

wait, why doesn't anyone ever say about their weird co-workers "don't mess with that guy, we think they may be a superhero?" why aren't they doing extensive investigations on everyone who joins all these evil corporations? superheroes don't need to be very common for the idea of someone in your life secretly being one to be in people's minds every day.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

it's bizarre to me that anyone suspects batman to be maintaining a public life of any kind. even if you accept he's human and not an animistic spirit of vengeance, he could just be living in the sewers like the ninja turtles. also he seems like a pretty busy guy!

The idea of Batman being out all night every single night is a very modern one, they used to play it more realistic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

The idea of Batman being out all night every single night is a very modern one, they used to play it more realistic.

Define modern, at the very least I think it predates the Keaton films.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I kinda like the idea that Matt Murdock did for a bit and have Spider-Man and Iron First wear your costume while you have an alibi to throw people off. I assume they do that occasionally in universe just throw people off.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ruddiger posted:

Has Luther ever been accused of being Batman?

Patton Oswalt wrote a pretty good one-shot a while back, JLA: Welcome to the Working Week, which is mostly narrated by a guy from Portland who runs a superhero 'zine. At one point, he airs the theory that given Batman's level of funding and tech, he's obviously working for Luthor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

I kinda like the idea that Matt Murdock did for a bit and have Spider-Man and Iron First wear your costume while you have an alibi to throw people off. I assume they do that occasionally in universe just throw people off.

Batman has done that a few times (with Nightwing, Green Arrow, and Superman off the top of my head.) I also know that Batman has pretended to be Clark Kent at least once as has Supergirl.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

Superman and Batman have been doing this for each other since probably the 50's. Robin and Alfred have also filled in at various times.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

'66 Batman and Green Hornet provided alibis for each other. Though the problem was that people thought Bruce Wayne was the Hornet and vice versa because that's how Batman '66 rolls.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Doc Hawkins posted:

I don't gently caress with comics Cyborg for what I believe to be wholly justified reasons, have they finally settled on whether or not he was a troubled kid who rejected his egghead parents, a jock who rejected his egghead parents, or an eggheaded jock who just was mad about being turned into a robot?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

Superman and Batman have been doing this for each other since probably the 50's. Robin and Alfred have also filled in at various times.

everyone in the justice league with a secret identity owes the martian manhunter eternal gratitude

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't gently caress with comics Cyborg for what I believe to be wholly justified reasons, have they finally settled on whether or not he was a troubled kid who rejected his egghead parents, a jock who rejected his egghead parents, or an eggheaded jock who just was mad about being turned into a robot?

I think these days it's 3

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Punch Luthor all day, erry day, for any reason

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Some people are about to get exploded when the next page of Kill Six Billion Demons comes out as our furious dumbass barista heroine stops being nice and starts getting real:

(possibly favorite part of this tournament arc is that the characters were given random, unexplained rankings just like in a manga and Allison's were B/C/SS+)

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 16, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

For a long time it was canon that most people in Gotham didn't even believe that there was a "batman".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alhazred posted:

For a long time it was canon that most people in Gotham didn't even believe that there was a "batman".

That's not really true. Between the various reboots it's become part of his history that for awhile Bruce operated as Batman and people thought Batman was a myth. But almost all the Batman comics that have been published that were supposed to take place in whatever version of "the present" DC was at then, Batman was a known quantity for most of Gotham.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Skwirl posted:

That's not really true. Between the various reboots it's become part of his history that for awhile Bruce operated as Batman and people thought Batman was a myth. But almost all the Batman comics that have been published that were supposed to take place in whatever version of "the present" DC was at then, Batman was a known quantity for most of Gotham.

I still like the idea that there were myths about Batman.

Especially the bit in Scare Tactics where Batman confronts a young vampire girl, and she throws herself on the ground at his feet, apologizes for having come to Gotham without first getting permission, begs him to protect her, and swears that she didn't hunt on his territory.

the vampire population of the DC Universe had become convinced that he was a) one of them and b) far more powerful than they were.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
There's a guy in my office who looks a hell of a lot like Tom Hardy. Not once have I ever thought he actually is Tom Hardy, because even if you notice they look similar, why would he be working in my office. I always assumed that's how it works for Clark Kent and other heroes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CityMidnightJunky posted:

There's a guy in my office who looks a hell of a lot like Tom Hardy. Not once have I ever thought he actually is Tom Hardy, because even if you notice they look similar, why would he be working in my office. I always assumed that's how it works for Clark Kent and other heroes.

Is he always conveniently on vacation when Tom Hardy is filming a movie? Do you read about Tom Hardy breaking a leg doing a stunt and then your coworker shows up on crutches with some cockamamie story about a skiing accident?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Phy posted:

Is he always conveniently on vacation when Tom Hardy is filming a movie? Do you read about Tom Hardy breaking a leg doing a stunt and then your coworker shows up on crutches with some cockamamie story about a skiing accident?

Is Tom Hardy Method? He could be researching a roll?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Parahexavoctal posted:

Especially the bit in Scare Tactics where Batman confronts a young vampire girl, and she throws herself on the ground at his feet, apologizes for having come to Gotham without first getting permission, begs him to protect her, and swears that she didn't hunt on his territory.

the vampire population of the DC Universe had become convinced that he was a) one of them and b) far more powerful than they were.

That's a pretty cool addition to the Batman mythos. How did Batman react to that?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Parahexavoctal posted:

Please post this sequence, it sounds neat.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
It never made sense to me that anybody in-universe would even believe there was only one Batman. If there's only one of him, he would be the busiest man in the universe. Second, obviously the Batman who's on the Justice League can't be the same guy who's running around catching street-level bank robbers, how does that make any sense? How would a regular human be on the Justice League? Thirdly, even if there's only one Batman operating at a time, he must have been killed and replaced by a new guy a half-dozen times by this point.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Bat That Walks

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Doom Mathematic posted:

It never made sense to me that anybody in-universe would even believe there was only one Batman. If there's only one of him, he would be the busiest man in the universe. Second, obviously the Batman who's on the Justice League can't be the same guy who's running around catching street-level bank robbers, how does that make any sense? How would a regular human be on the Justice League? Thirdly, even if there's only one Batman operating at a time, he must have been killed and replaced by a new guy a half-dozen times by this point.

Obviously Batman is secretly Wolverine. Or vice versa.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Obviously Batman is secretly Wolverine. Or vice versa.

Isn't there currently three or four Wolverines, including one actual wolverine, in the MCU?

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 20, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Are you constantly in life or death situations that Tom Hardy shows up to save you from? Do you have a special watch that allows you to communicate with Tom Hardy? Did Tom Hardy ever use a transformation machine of his own design to turn you into a black woman?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Doom Mathematic posted:

Why would anyone believe Batman is a regular human, have you seen half the poo poo he does?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Alhazred posted:

Isn't there currently three or four Wolverines, including one actual wolverine, in the MCU?

Yes, but only one is allowed to be Wolverine at a time. They do have

Logan classic
Old Man Logan from an alternate future
Laura Kinney, clone of Logan
Gabby, AKA Honey Badger, clone of Laura
Daken, son of Logan
James Logan, son of a different dimension's Logan
Jonathan the Actual Wolverine

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Well now I need to read this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doom Mathematic posted:

Second, obviously the Batman who's on the Justice League can't be the same guy who's running around catching street-level bank robbers, how does that make any sense?

Sometimes I genuinely feel this way as a reader. All my favorite Batman stories involve him like, solving a regular crime committed by a guy who's face looks weird, using punches to defend himself, and it gets dicey but he triumphs. I really can't connect that with the guy who regularly goes to space, defeats Green Lantern villains, and has enough tech to hold back Superman if he gets mind controlled.

And that's even without the omnipresent problem the DC comics have where in theory any superhero could solve their problems by yelling "SUPERMAN, HELP!" at the top of their lungs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Elfface posted:

Yes, but only one is allowed to be Wolverine at a time. They do have

Logan classic
Old Man Logan from an alternate future
Laura Kinney, clone of Logan
Gabby, AKA Honey Badger, clone of Laura