Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Gonna get both versions because I have more money than sense.

What a horrible snipe. Here's something useful:
Beginning one week from today, GameStop will be distributing shiny Lunala / Solgaleo:

Pokemon.Com posted:

Pokémon: Shiny Lunala
Games: Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Sun
Distribution Method: Pokémon Pass app at GameStop stores
Event Period: October 21–November 10, 2019

Poké Ball: Cherish Ball
Held Item: Gold Bottle Cap
Level: 60
Nature: Random
Ability: Shadow Shield
Moves: Moongeist Beam, Psyshock, Moonblast, and Moonlight

Pokémon: Shiny Solgaleo
Games: Pokémon Ultra Moon and Pokémon Moon
Distribution Method: Pokémon Pass app at GameStop stores
Event Period: October 21–November 10, 2019

Poké Ball: Cherish Ball
Held Item: Gold Bottle Cap
Level: 60
Nature: Random
Ability: Full Metal Body
Moves: Sunsteel Strike, Zen Headbutt, Noble Roar, and Morning Sun

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm a mega-trader, so version means little besides what wolf is on the box, and Zacian's softer colors aren't as hard on the eyes. Sword it is. This will be the first time I'm just buying a single game of a new Pokémon generation. USUM being nearly identical to SM left a sour taste in my mouth and I'm not 100% onboard with what little we've learned of Galar, but as long as I already invested in a Switch for generation 8, I may as well move forward.

That event means that the Cosmog line survives Dexit, right? :ohdear: As an avid Fashion Ball collector, I've been trying to identify what legendaries will make the jump so I'll eventually be able to bring in generation 7 ones as trading fodder. My best guesses are the Cosmog line (because they're the newest, and getting shiny events just as their respective generation is ending) and the five found in Kanto (Let's Go imports).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol if you aren't locked into the "first version" or "second version" based on whether you got red or blue as a kid, with X and Y as the exception where X counts as "second" because its box legend is blue and Y first because red.

Blue
Silver
Sapphire
Pearl
White
X
Don't got gen 7 yet but it's gonna be Moon I guarantee it
Same, Shield

I picked Shield to bring balance to my choices.

Red
Silver
Ruby
Diamond
White
X
Moon

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I chose shield based entirely on the box legend looking cooler, but the reveals have only confirmed it was he correct choice. The only down side is that I will need to trade for Sirfetchd.

What madness is this that SwSh makes me want to use three alternate forms of Pokemon I have literally never used since Gen 1? I am absolutely using Galar Wheezing, Sirfetchd, and Galar Rapidash.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

When Galar Ponyta evolves her mane bursts into flames.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So we're a month out and we don't have Starter Evos. wIll they come out before the game is released?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I think I might actually end up getting both as well. I really dislike resetting my completed games, and the more I look at the Galardex, the more I realize that (just like Alola), I'll probably want one run through with Alt forms and one with completely new Pokemon.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I got stuck with Blue as a kid despite loving Charizard 'cause my (Blastoise loving) best friend had Red. Eventually, I got all three Gen 1 games, so I guess it's a wash:

Blue/Red/Yellow
Gold/Crystal
Ruby/Emerald
FireRed
Pearl/Diamond/Platinum (Got all three, but started with Pearl because...Pink is closer to red?)
HeartGold
Black/Black 2
Y
Sun/Ultra Sun

But this time I'mma have to go with Sword because...swords are cooler...Sirfetch'd is cooler...and the sword wolf is cooler. I wish it were more Red colored though, 'cause I like red. :shobon:

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 15, 2019

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

So we're a month out and we don't have Starter Evos. wIll they come out before the game is released?

yeah I can't recall a time they haven't at least shown something about the 2nd stagers, maybe all the starter evos suck and they're trying to hide em?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I prefer this slow trickle of information to be honest. While the glut of info last gen with the Sun and Moon videos was cool, I felt like there weren't a whole lot of surprises in game because I knew everything.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

alpha_destroy posted:

Secondly, you note she hasn't finished a game since White as if that makes you more deserving of getting the version you want but I don't think that's true. If anything, as a more casual fan, getting the version she wants is probably more significant to her enjoyment of it, not less. So yeah. Don't try to bully convince her into getting shield to make you happy, that's weird.

Edit: And trade for Sir Fetch'd.
This is a really good point for a lot of reasons, thanks for putting it like that. Plus, I'm fine with either since I don't use Legendaries as a rule so Shield is the one I should get.

Not to mention even though I want Sirfetch'd I adore so many different fighting types that whether it'll actually make the squad is up in the air while Ponyta is almost guaranteed a spot since most Psychics don't impress me.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

yeah I can't recall a time they haven't at least shown something about the 2nd stagers, maybe all the starter evos suck and they're trying to hide em?
This is absolutely it. They started Gen 8 by completely and irreparably loving up the starters and now they have to bury the evidence. They will also not send out review copies because if anyone sees the horrible abomination that the beautiful Sobble evolves into, they will be ruined.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 14, 2019

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I guess I'm about a hundred pages late to this, but Ponyta is Psychic and not Fairy? That's wild.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nanigans posted:

I guess I'm about a hundred pages late to this, but Ponyta is Psychic and not Fairy? That's wild.

Yeah it's great

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Andrast posted:

Yeah it's great

This is the most correct respose. It means I can have a Galar Ponyta and a Galar Wheezing without doubling up on type :3:

I really hope that Galar Ponyta gains a second type when it evolves, and that it is still a physical attacker. I would love to actually see a physical psychic type rather than another special attacker. I know they exist and the current ones are already probably better than Galar Rapidash will be, but there's still so few and Metagross isn't exactly fun for a play through.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mef989 posted:

Metagross isn't exactly fun for a play through.

You shut your goddamn mouth

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MetaDISGUSTING

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Don't get me wrong, Metagross is one of my favorite Pokemon, he just suffers from being a pseudo-legendary which you either can't catch before you've beaten the game, or have traded one over in which case he'll be over leveled and just steam roll over everything given how good Metagross is. In the event you get one in time to play through on your own (which without looking up his catch locations I'm not sure of you can in any game), he'll maybe or maybe not have even evolved fully by the E4 given that he doesn't evolve until lvl 45.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I prefer this slow trickle of information to be honest. While the glut of info last gen with the Sun and Moon videos was cool, I felt like there weren't a whole lot of surprises in game because I knew everything.

SM was definitely a bit of a deluge of info, but I'm they type that likes that since things like the story beats and Ultra Beasts were still a surprise

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mef989 posted:

Don't get me wrong, Metagross is one of my favorite Pokemon, he just suffers from being a pseudo-legendary which you either can't catch before you've beaten the game, or have traded one over in which case he'll be over leveled and just steam roll over everything given how good Metagross is. In the event you get one in time to play through on your own (which without looking up his catch locations I'm not sure of you can in any game), he'll maybe or maybe not have even evolved fully by the E4 given that he doesn't evolve until lvl 45.

Sun Moon let you do that and it was the best thing about the game outside of catching level 10 Salamence

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mef989 posted:

Breeding is a thing.

And honestly of the Pseudos Metagross is on the more difficult end to use since you're stuck with Beldum and its suicidally weak Take Downs for 25 levels. Still Metang is at least relatively competent and it fully evolves earlier than most of the others who turn into dead weight post level 40 until they fully evolve (super RIP Hydreigon)

The Garchomp line is the only pseudo-Legendary line that's actually pretty good all game and doesn't have the lovely Magikarp periods.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We'll know everything about the game here in another week or two when it leaks early. Let's GO was a week early but I suppose people were writing it off as "Not a real Pokemon Game" so there wasn't as much effort to get a copy online.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol if you aren't locked into the "first version" or "second version" based on whether you got red or blue as a kid, with X and Y as the exception where X counts as "second" because its box legend is blue and Y first because red.

Blue
Silver
Sapphire
Pearl
White
X
Don't got gen 7 yet but it's gonna be Moon I guarantee it
Same, Shield

Obviously, this is the cool antihero kid's lineup, and the other lineup is for normies and jocks who also think Agumon is cool. The version exclusive gym leaders and Sirfetch'd vs. Ponyta mean even nintendo considers this canon.

The list is actually

Blue
Silver
Sapphire
Diamond
Black
X
Moon
Sword

Its the blue version vs the red version. Pearl, Y, Sun and Shield are all very clearly the red version, and I just assume Black is the blue version because it's the darker color.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
it's cool version vs lame version and the cool version just happens to be what is the most red (this applies in reverse as well, if it's red it's cool and if it's cool it's red)

red
gold
ruby
pearl
black
y
sun
shield

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Borsche69 posted:

The list is actually

Blue
Silver
Sapphire
Diamond
Black
X
Moon
Sword

Its the blue version vs the red version. Pearl, Y, Sun and Shield are all very clearly the red version, and I just assume Black is the blue version because it's the darker color.

Black is also the blue version because Black 2’s logo has blue highlights and White 2’s logo has red highlights.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You'll find the true list is

Red
Gold
Ruby
Diamond
White
Y
Moon
Sword

That way you get the better exclusives in every generation.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why is it Gold/Silver/Crystal and Diamond/Pearl/Platinum?

Should have been Gold/Silver/Platinum and Diamond/Pearl/Crystal

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Because they had to get that :krad: shiny transparent blue cartridge in while the GBC was still around.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The actual list is
Gen 1 sucks
Silver
Sapphire
I’d rather play Red than play Diamond again, so Platinum
White
X
Moon
Shield

Aka the ones I bought and that have the exclusives I like. :colbert:

(ok with the exception of white where I have white in japanese and black in English because I somehow screwed up and got the exclusives confused. so when I impulse imported white early because everyone was freaking out about how good gen 5 was, I accidentally chose the one with exclusives I wanted more when I meant to choose the one I wanted less.)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Is pokemon bank supposed to survive and live on or are they going to force the concentration camp thing pokemon Home as soon as sword and shield hit?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mef989 posted:

What madness is this that SwSh makes me want to use three alternate forms of Pokemon I have literally never used since Gen 1? I am absolutely using Galar Wheezing, Sirfetchd, and Galar Rapidash.

Sirfetch'd is a cross-gen evo, like Steelix and Gallade. She's not a regional variant.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ka0 posted:

Is pokemon bank supposed to survive and live on or are they going to force the concentration camp thing pokemon Home as soon as sword and shield hit?

Pokemon Bank probably has as long as the 3DS online services but at some point they'll probably expect you to have moved on to Home.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

Black is also the blue version because Black 2’s logo has blue highlights and White 2’s logo has red highlights.

Excellent point. I will die on this hill.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

less laughter posted:

Sirfetch'd is a cross-gen evo, like Steelix and Gallade. She's not a regional variant.

That's fair, I hadn't realized it was an Evo. I'm still excited for it. Farfetch'd getting some love after 25 years is pretty cool to me.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Going to need a science person to explain the real reason people who usually get the other version ended up with X and not Y

This phenomenon must have an explanation

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Because of the faerie pony on the cover

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I need to know if the Mareep line is in or not, so it can join Wooloo in being perfect sheep. :colbert:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'll probably end up getting Sword because I have no interest in stall/defensive teams that the Shieldwolf is probably built for which means I'll need one of you goons to drop a Galarian Ponyta into my game AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zedd posted:

I need to know if the Mareep line is in or not, so it can join Wooloo in being perfect sheep. :colbert:

The Mareep is dead, long live the Wooloo.

(Same :()

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I went

Red
Gold
Sapphire
Diamond
White/2
Y
Moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zedd posted:

Whimsicott is confirmed to be in.