Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah what kind of rear end in a top hat says any personal details about themselves when getting to know somebody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Even for cops that's a tough one to defend immediately after a cop in the next town over went to prison for doing exactly the same poo poo.

I get that, but they're not even pretending to protect the officer who did it. They named him, said he resigned, said he faced charges, etc. None of this "thin blue line" bullshit that we've heard before.

Now, whether they actually follow through on their words is another matter entirely. But it's at least off to a good start.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Fort Worth having a presser right now and I'm surprised at how far they're throwing the officer under the bus who shot the lady in her home. Even the police chief named him and said he faced criminal charges.

I guess that's an improvement? Wonder if those charges will actually stick though

skylined! posted:

lmao bill barr is going to use the doj to keep facebook from policing trump's propaganda on their platform, this owns.

Say what you will about the GOP but they actually know how to play politics

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah what kind of rear end in a top hat says any personal details about themselves when getting to know somebody

richard stallman's okcupid profile used to start with "I am an Atheist and a Libertarian." which is sort of like starting all potential romantic relationships with a power thermonuclear blast

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

luxury handset posted:

richard stallman's okcupid profile used to start with "I am an Atheist and a Libertarian." which is sort of like starting all potential romantic relationships with a power thermonuclear blast

I appreciate disclaimers like that. People who proclaim their love for Trump are similarly useful, because then you don't need to waste any time thinking you might like them.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I get that, but they're not even pretending to protect the officer who did it. They named him, said he resigned, said he faced charges, etc. None of this "thin blue line" bullshit that we've heard before.

Now, whether they actually follow through on their words is another matter entirely. But it's at least off to a good start.

This one is too difficult to defend so they're gonna "bad apple" him and act like there's no systemic problem.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

luxury handset posted:

it is foolish to think that deleting your facebook account will move the needle in any appreciable way towards facebook's necessary demise

instead it is imperative to delete your facebook because it is a dogshit platform full of woe, used only to spy on you

Normally I’d agree with is but it really is different with Facebook due to the network effect. It’s really the only thing keeping them together and if they lose enough members that they pass that critical threshold then the rest of the site will collapse in on itself. Deleting your account absolutely does have a disproportionate effect.

-Posted by a poster who deleted their account

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Fort Worth having a presser right now and I'm surprised at how far they're throwing the officer under the bus who shot the lady in her home. Even the police chief named him and said he faced criminal charges.

You know what? Good. And I hope if what I think you're suggesting is correct, that perhaps all the visibility on these incidents and the extreme pressure being brought to their doorsteps every time some poo poo like this happens is moving the needle in how departments respond to incidents like these, that it continues and becomes even bigger as a social trend. Call these motherfuckers out loudly, often, and if possible in person by engaging in mass demonstrations. I can't think of anything else that will change a thing. This "code of silence" and blue wall bullshit has to stop.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

My guess is, they saw the body cam video, brainstormed a way they could spin this and when they came up with nothing, decided to throw him under the bus.

At least with the woman cop in Dallas there was no video evidence so they could make poo poo up in her defense. But not this time.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I think it's more a concern with folks whose first thing they throw out about themselves is the atheist thing, it usually means they're a "certain type" of self righteous person that can be insufferable. I'm not a believer but by a long shot it's not the very first, primary, core thing about my own identity that I share with the world.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Now that fascism is ascendant again, many young internet fascists use the same basic language as mid-00s atheists about facts trumping feelings, pretending to be enlightenment liberals, etc etc. At the same time, almost every leader of New Atheism today spends almost all their attention panicking about scolding moral relativists to their left. Plenty of them openly side with white nationalists and believe that Christianity is less of a threat than Muslim immigrants.

A lot of those mid-00s online atheists are the current alt-right. (A doesn't always mean B, but B is almost always A)

theflyingorc posted:

It's certainly possible for atheists to be moral, but I have yet to meet anyone whose core identity was "atheist" to not be kind of a shithead.

:can:

theflyingorc posted:

Somebody made noise about it in the last 4-5 days.

IIRC they were making noise about it in the 'This thread says/wants X' strawman manner.

Zamujasa posted:

Facebook is a platform that is more than happy to host a ton of right-wing propaganda as it is. People leaving it isn't suddenly going to make it more effective at radicalizing people.

The group most responsible for all of this is Facebook. Leaving it has a greater chance of stopping it than most anything else any one individual can do, but like any other form of protest it's efficacy is dubious if the target doesn't care.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/NicholeManna/status/1183806445067915264

This is good in theory, but I foresee the "experts" all being LEO types. I hope I'm wrong.

edit: This woman has basically live tweeted the entire press conference if you want a good summary.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I don't tell anyone I'm atheist unless we're friends and they ask particularly because 1) it won't have any real impact unless we get into politics for some reason or they want me to go to a church function and B) admitting you're an atheist to the wrong person in Northeast Louisiana and you're never getting employed again.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

luxury handset posted:

Given recent events, one wonders if that was deliberate.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/EdbrohamLincoln/status/1183752745397960705

EDIT: This was from the end of August after Trump tweeted something snarky about Fox News. Didn't realize that.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Personally I think the truth is in the middle with regards to the Facebook issue. Good people exiting the platform en-mass will cause the vileness to concentrate and strengthen, however I think it's important to recognize that this is merely an acceleration of a process that has been actively ongoing on Facebook since approximately 2015 or so.

I personally advocate that individuals delete their Facebook account, however I advocate this for reasons of self-care and not because it will harm Facebook in some meaningful way. The only real solution to an amoral corporate actor with control of what amounts to the de-facto centralized social communications monopoly on social Communications would be for a state actor to regulate the ever-living sshit out of them- at this point Facebook is entirely too goddamn powerful to be stopped by a mere boycott by leftist Americans. ( in very large/populous slices of the planet Facebook effectively is the internet)

There really is no effective way to address the problem of Facebook that leftists can engage in right now, we would need control of state power first. Therefore I advocate for leftist to disconnect from Facebook and prioritize self-care with a long-term view towards fighting this culture War.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 14, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The US needs a big constantly updated sign that says "IT HAS BEEN ### DAYS SINCE POLICE KILLED A PERSON"

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Prester Jane posted:

Personally I think the truth is in the middle with regards to the Facebook issue. Good people exiting the platform on bass will cause the violinist to concentrate and strengthen, however I think it's important to recognize that this is merely an acceleration of a process that has been actively ongoing on Facebook since approximately 2015 or so.

Might want to check your autocorrect, PJ.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Prester Jane posted:

Personally I think the truth is in the middle with regards to the Facebook issue. Good people exiting the platform on bass will cause the violinist to concentrate and strengthen, however I think it's important to recognize that this is merely an acceleration of a process that has been actively ongoing on Facebook since approximately 2015 or so.

I personally advocate that individuals delete their Facebook account, however I advocate this for reasons of self-care and not because it will harm Facebook in some meaningful way. The only real solution to an amoral corporate actor with control of what amounts to the de-facto centralized social communications monopoly on social Communications would be for a state actor to regulate the ever-living sshit out of them- at this point Facebook is entirely too goddamn powerful to be stopped by a mere boycott by leftist Americans. ( in very large/populous slices of the planet Facebook effectively is the internet)

There really is no effective way to address the problem of Facebook that leftists can engage in right now, we would need control of state power first. Therefore I advocate for leftist to disconnect from Facebook and prioritize self-care with a long-term view towards fighting this culture War.

it's me, agreeing with Prester Jane

The government needs to regulate all sites using THE ALGORITHM, which is what is really killing us.

I used to debunk bullshit on Facebook all the time that conservative psychos posted, Facebook changed things up and now I never see articles I'm not already predisposed to agree with. If it categorizes you as liberal your days of seeing anything pro-trump at all are over.

Facebook also clearly thinks I'm gay but that's another issue

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Flesh Forge posted:

The US needs a big constantly updated sign that says "IT HAS BEEN ### DAYS SINCE POLICE KILLED A PERSON"

That would get bored of constantly being 0 that it would go negative and try to predict the next event.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

VH4Ever posted:

I think it's more a concern with folks whose first thing they throw out about themselves is the atheist thing, it usually means they're a "certain type" of self righteous person that can be insufferable. I'm not a believer but by a long shot it's not the very first, primary, core thing about my own identity that I share with the world.

The three biggest red flags when someone is just introducing themselves are 1.) "I'm an atheist", 2.) "I'm a vegan", and 3.) "I'm a card-carrying member of Mensa".

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Flesh Forge posted:

love the aspiration that we'll need that third digit.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dick Trauma posted:

https://twitter.com/EdbrohamLincoln/status/1183752745397960705

EDIT: This was from the end of August after Trump tweeted something snarky about Fox News. Didn't realize that.

It is funny to see how Fox and Trump basically flipped on each other overnight. Fox said mild criticism, Trump takes it as a fundamental betrayal and dumps his support of them, then Fox decides to get revenge.

It's an ouroboros of petty horseshit

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Kurdish areas being overrun by Turkish military.
Presidential hot take "Maybe they're letting prisoners go to get us involved"

NO you colossal fuckwit, they're being freed because Kurds detaining them are being murdered

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Flesh Forge posted:

That's some seriously unsupportable optimism there putting three digits in.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Flesh Forge posted:

The US needs a big constantly updated sign that says "IT HAS BEEN 🍩 DAYS SINCE POLICE KILLED A PERSON"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

The US needs a big constantly updated sign that says "IT HAS BEEN ### DAYS HOURS SINCE POLICE KILLED A PERSON"

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ice Phisherman posted:

Might want to check your autocorrect, PJ.

Sorry about that, went back and corrected.

Fake edit: you know what I hate most of all about modern auto correct? That it is clearly designed for stupid people with small vocabularies, I cannot tell you how many times I type in a word correctly and it autocorrects it to another word because it thinks that's what I'm trying to say- because the goddamn algorithm doesn't understand anyone who commicates with any level of complexity.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked this post. But I honestly would've preferred if you had left the spelling mistakes of bass and violin and made a string quartet metaphor. :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Prester Jane posted:

The three biggest red flags when someone is just introducing themselves are 1.) "I'm an atheist", 2.) "I'm a vegan", and 3.) "I'm a card-carrying member of Mensa".

Maybe number 3 but there's nothing wrong with the first two.

Saying you're a vegan is important in many introduction situations because these are often at places where food is being served. Saying you don't believe in God also, at least where I'm from, because the second or third question you will get when meeting someone is "What church do you go to"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

HootTheOwl posted:

I love the idea that it would actually need to be a dynamic variable and not just a hard coded "0"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I think the point that was being made here is that the mainstream of mid-00s movement atheism had an extremely limited worldview that assumed that you could develop a coherent political/moral framework based on empirical evidence. They tended to believe that once you stripped away superstition from public life, reactionary politics would evaporate with it. Those thinkers didn't base their worldview on egalitarian principles, and seemed suspicious of those who did.

Now that fascism is ascendant again, many young internet fascists use the same basic language as mid-00s atheists about facts trumping feelings, pretending to be enlightenment liberals, etc etc. At the same time, almost every leader of New Atheism today spends almost all their attention panicking about scolding moral relativists to their left. Plenty of them openly side with white nationalists and believe that Christianity is less of a threat than Muslim immigrants.

The entire movement showed its rear end because its moral framework was always bunk and they always lacked the capacity for self reflection.

Edit: In short, people on the left were always better off without those crypto fascists on their side and would probably find better allies among progressive religious movements than New Atheists.

I'm sort of curious how PZ Myers is doing these days. Back in the late-00s when I was in my full-on "atheism is great and I need to tell people about it all the time" phase, PZ Myers' blog Pharyngula was my main stop for that, and I remember him being significantly more progressive than many others, including being one of the (very) few among the male New Atheists to support Rebecca Watson when she spoke out about her elevator harassment. (I still remember that as the first moment I realized just how misogynist most of the "rational community" was.) I also remember him speaking out against homophobia and racism, too.

I haven't followed any New Atheist things in a lot of years but I hope he's still a decent guy and hasn't fallen into the same reactionary bullshit as his contemporaries.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

PJ please stop sassing the mods.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Wark Say posted:

I liked this post. But I honestly would've preferred if you had left the spelling mistakes of bass and violin and made a string quartet metaphor. :(

We must stop the right-wing viola and regulate Facebook before all the Boomers' minds turn to cello!

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I don't know who Richard Stallman is, and I get the '18-26' year old edgelord atheist stereotype is a real thing, but 10 to a million years ago when I was in the dating game putting atheist front and center on your dating profile in the bible belt was a pro-move. Educated liberal women here needed all the filter criteria they could get.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Flesh Forge posted:

You don't need that many digits. Just put a big 0

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You guys don't understand, leading zeroes rub it in. What looks worse:

1 day since police murdered a person

or

001 days since police murdered a person

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
If this is true, I take back what I said. If this happened then this is Fort Worth PD following which way the wind is blowing.

https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1183812427651137536?s=20

rko
Jul 12, 2017

theflyingorc posted:

The government needs to regulate all sites using THE ALGORITHM, which is what is really killing us.

I’m skeptical that the algorithm can be meaningfully “regulated” by any of our existing institutions without simply demolishing it and starting anew, but I’m a fan of getting rid of the algorithms we have now in general.

I highly recommend everyone ITT discussing this to take a look at Zuboff’s The Age of Surveillance Capitalism. It’s revelatory and insightful, and a lot of it demonstrates why stuff like boycotting Facebook is ineffectual at best—especially given that they’re not actually going to delete any of your data and you have no way of avoiding the fact that they can easily buy more if you stop producing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah maybe change "DAYS" to "HOURS" and we might need that third digit then.