Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OwlFancier posted:

If you take out the meaningless chatter what happens is the group no longer exists to do the non-meaningless stuff.

I agree, and I like meaningless chatter anyway, if it sometimes changes topic. But otherwise it becomes like people endlessly reciting the same Monty Python sketch. However after writing that I looked up Sliding Doors and it has a 77% audience approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes and my god what is wrong with people?*

*a diet containing too many crisps, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

StarkingBarfish posted:

It's this. The days when poo poo is going down it's great to be in here because there's a lot of well informed analysis. When there's not a lot going on, people still need to chat poo poo and frankly what flavour of crisps people like is pretty mild and inclusive compared to other options.
Crisp chat, as it exists in this thread, is exclusionary to non-British people. It is, I'm sorry to say, the posting equivalent of Brexit.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Wait. What if. Brexit is like... a dead parrot?

Give me a sec, making the next Lib Dem social media campaign. :smug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Nah, they’d need to vote for it and don’t have the numbers at all.

That said, I'm not sure whether the minor parties might not back it just to make life harder for labour. It's in the interest of basically every tory and probably everyone who doesn't rely on poor/minority votes to secure their majorities.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Crisp chat, as it exists in this thread, is exclusionary to non-British people. It is, I'm sorry to say, the posting equivalent of Brexit.

You're always welcome to bring up whatever foreign monstrosity you shovel into your face or other orifice for recreational purposes :v:

Tomorrow I'm going to try making welsh cakes with honey subbing for the sugar.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 14, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The difference between crispchat and chatchat is that crispchat comes to an abrupt end whenever stuff happens to be discussed (as does most of the general white noise chat itt) but chatchat gets people het up and keeps going even after other topics occur.

Also yeah part of being in a community is the in-jokes and unserious chat that occurs in it. :shrug:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I just clicked through a few things on one of the tweets in this thread, and there was a post claiming that corbyn is a massive anti-semite, the proof? another post that says that corbyn is a massive anti-semite...

it's like a scaletrix track but a boring lovely circle one without a sweet loop

this is why i dont use twitter

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the answer to voter ID depressing turnout is clearly to embrace compulsory voting

* this is not a serious post; I just find the idea weirdly amusing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The answer is voter ID is stupid and unneccessary and we don't have a fraud problem to begin with.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Pesmerga posted:

Wait. What if. Brexit is like... a dead parrot?
Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Plus...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

The difference between crispchat and chatchat is that crispchat comes to an abrupt end whenever stuff happens to be discussed (as does most of the general white noise chat itt) but chatchat gets people het up and keeps going even after other topics occur.

Also yeah part of being in a community is the in-jokes and unserious chat that occurs in it. :shrug:

that's funny because it certainly didn't come to an abrupt end during the state opening of parliament

that must not be as important as people's opinions on corn snacks

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Julio Cruz posted:

have you considered just skipping the posts you consider negative

maybe you should contribute positively to the thread instead of complaining about them

Honestly I do skip over a lot of posts about things I don't find interesting anyway. Every time there's a new Project Binky video there's a couple of pages of chat about minis which I'm not interested in but it's really no trouble to skim past it all.

It's a bit different if it's say, an extended anime derail because there's literally an entire forum for that stuff, but sharing in chat about something everybody is familiar with and non-controversial (at least, not seriously) and in-jokey is good for the "community" aspect of the thread.

If you just want a stream of politics news then I'm sure there are services for that. I like being a part of this community we've got here even if it sometimes includes talking about things I don't find interesting.

I basically agree with Ms. A there^^

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

that's funny because it certainly didn't come to an abrupt end during the state opening of parliament

The queen wittering a tory speech that's going to be defunct within a month most likely is, arguably, less important than crispchat.

Right now parliament is spinning its wheels until the extension deadline. It's just doing it in a silly uniform.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

Honestly I do skip over a lot of posts about things I don't find interesting anyway. Every time there's a new Project Binky video there's a couple of pages of chat about minis which I'm not interested in but it's really no trouble to skim past it all.

It's a bit different if it's say, an extended anime derail because there's literally an entire forum for that stuff, but sharing in chat about something everybody is familiar with and non-controversial (at least, not seriously) and in-jokey is good for the "community" aspect of the thread.

If you just want a stream of politics news then I'm sure there are services for that. I like being a part of this community we've got here even if it sometimes includes talking about things I don't find interesting.

I basically agree with Ms. A there^^

there's an entire forum and discord for just chatting about random poo poo

this is the main UK politics thread and it confuses/annoys the gently caress out of people whe there's 500 new posts but instead of something important having happened it's just the exact same crispchat that happened last month and confused people the exact same

and let's not forget that we get quite a few no-Brits coming in and wanting to know what the latest on Brexit is, I can't imagine how you'd inform yourself through this thread if you don't even know what monster munch is

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Julio Cruz posted:

If there's something interesting to say about that then please, go ahead and say it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tarnop posted:

If there's something interesting to say about that then please, go ahead and say it.

maybe you shouldn't post if you don't have a positive contribution to make

if you see a post you disagree with just skip over it, it's not a big deal right

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Julio Cruz posted:

this is the main UK politics thread and it confuses/annoys the gently caress out of people whe there's 500 new posts but instead of something important having happened it's just the exact same crispchat that happened last month and confused people the exact same

and let's not forget that we get quite a few no-Brits coming in and wanting to know what the latest on Brexit is, I can't imagine how you'd inform yourself through this thread if you don't even know what monster munch is

I've paid my $10 to post here, not Discord. Derails happen in pol threads because there isn't enough news to keep it going 24/7. Until a mod steps in and tells me what can and can't be posted about in this thread I'm not gonna listen to you backseat modding when the derail you caused earlier on has been 10000% worse for anyone viewing this thread than crisp chat could be.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

you'd post and ask for an update

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Julio Cruz posted:

maybe you shouldn't post if you don't have a positive contribution to make

if you see a post you disagree with just skip over it, it's not a big deal right

So you don't have a single interesting thing to say about anything that's happened today, you just want other people to entertain you.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
General consensus on this Queen’s speech was that it was a pointless waste of time, and did little more than announce when Javid’s going to be cancelling a budget speech and be the first shot in a Tory election campaign. The most interesting debate has been over the potential fallout of it being voted down.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1183809394699575298?s=19

Let's do this

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

there is always the chat thread in byob, but its got my nudes in it

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

the derail you caused earlier on has been 10000% worse for anyone viewing this thread than crisp chat could be.

Strong disagree.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Seems a bit more realistic than YouGov.

Pesmerga posted:

General consensus on this Queen’s speech was that it was a pointless waste of time, and did little more than announce when Javid’s going to be cancelling a budget speech and be the first shot in a Tory election campaign. The most interesting debate has been over the potential fallout of it being voted down.

Yeah here's a summary of what happened today:

Parliament opened, the Queen said "Here's a bunch of stuff the government is saying it's going to do" but it's a minority government so none of this stuff is going to happen. Jeremy Corbyn said that the Tories are bastards and their plans suck (but not verbatim sadly).

Bosh.

If other poo poo is going down please post about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Twitter politics related, I found this account recently:

https://twitter.com/VoterBritish/status/1183741858943504384
https://twitter.com/VoterBritish/status/1183726763526049794
https://twitter.com/VoterBritish/status/1183711670742458368
https://twitter.com/VoterBritish/status/1183696575278784512

See if you can guess a common theme in the responses that might also be relevant to polling :v:

average age of the last 60 responses is 62

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 14, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's a shitload of actual UK politics happening today and yet the last 10 or so pages happened.

TBH the signal to noise ratio of this thread has taken a serious turn for the worse over the last few months, crispchat is just shorthand for all that noise. Derails are fine - much of the interesting stuff in this thread comes up from them - but endless in-jokes are just loving noise.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah you're probably right. I don't really get anything out of this thread any more, so why bother reading it?

Gonna say I agree with gdt here. I can appreciate jokey distractions but Real poo poo happened today and the crisp meme was taking over. I would rather we didn't become reddit during Big Political Happenings.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

I've paid my $10 to post here, not Discord. Derails happen in pol threads because there isn't enough news to keep it going 24/7. Until a mod steps in and tells me what can and can't be posted about in this thread I'm not gonna listen to you backseat modding when the derail you caused earlier on has been 10000% worse for anyone viewing this thread than crisp chat could be.

"massive thread derails are fine if they're the kind of derails that I personally like"

e: your $10 means you can also post in CSPAM which is, you know, a forum specifically designed for low-content posting

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tarnop posted:

So you don't have a single interesting thing to say about anything that's happened today, you just want other people to entertain you.

lots of people posted interesting things that were relevant to today, they just all got lost in the morass of "hurrrr monster munch"

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Julio Cruz posted:

lots of people posted interesting things that were relevant to today, they just all got lost in the morass of "hurrrr monster munch"

But none of your 16 posts on the matter are contributing to this problem.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Julio Cruz posted:

But instead of responding to those people, you're whining about crisps

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

But none of your 16 posts on the matter are contributing to this problem.

just skip over them then

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Earlier someone posted a tweet from someone saying 'we need a british Bernie Sanders', but rejecting Corbyn as not being the same thing. Why is that? Is it because Sanders is still relatively unknown, so people can project their own image onto him, or maybe they like the idea of progressive politics as long as it's something that happens on the other side of the atlantic. Will we see the same monstering of Bernie as we got with Corbyn if he looks like he might actually win?

Also pickled onion is the best flavour of monster munch AND crisps (unless chilli and lemon is available)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tarnop posted:

But instead of responding to those people, you're whining about whining about crisps

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spiderbot posted:

Earlier someone posted a tweet from someone saying 'we need a british Bernie Sanders', but rejecting Corbyn as not being the same thing. Why is that? Is it because Sanders is still relatively unknown, so people can project their own image onto him, or maybe they like the idea of progressive politics as long as it's something that happens on the other side of the atlantic. Will we see the same monstering of Bernie as we got with Corbyn if he looks like he might actually win?

Also pickled onion is the best flavour of monster munch AND crisps (unless chilli and lemon is available)

Because liam gallagher or whoever it was is a moron.

The democrats are already leaning hard into nuking bernie as they did in 2015/16. Liberals cannot abide the left.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

spiderbot posted:

The person in the tweet was an idiot

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

On matters not pertaining to crispchat, where are we in the timeline of when Boris is supposed to send the letter about no-no-deal to the EU? That’s gotta be this week right?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
What was big about the queen’s speech though? The real drama is going to be when they vote on it, as well as later this week when it turns out that a deal isn’t possible before Wednesday’s deadline.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

spiderbot posted:

Noel Fielding is a huge melt, and Bernie winning won't mean he has to pay more tax on his hard-earned bake off money

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Robot Mil posted:

On matters not pertaining to crispchat, where are we in the timeline of when Boris is supposed to send the letter about no-no-deal to the EU? That’s gotta be this week right?

He has to send the letter if there’s no deal agreed by the Saturday sitting of parliament. That requires a deal concluded that is approved by the Commission and EU Council (Thursday and Friday this week) that is then approved by Parliament on Saturday. If it fails at either of those hurdles, he’s obliged to send it on the 19th.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm enjoying your new vision for the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBH the signal to noise ratio of this thread has taken a serious turn for the worse over the last few months, crispchat is just shorthand for all that noise. Derails are fine - much of the interesting stuff in this thread comes up from them - but endless in-jokes are just loving noise.

i've been reading this thread since like 2008 and this is absolutely not true lol its always been like this
its why its the only good thread in D&D, its informal and bolshy