Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Oh, sorry, typo. Rum raisin. Not run. Again I am sorry for the confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Wait til you get to the ones about Jewish people.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

my favorite ice cream flavor is "drinking orange juice right after brushing your teeth"

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

Do you think milk chocolate isn't real chocolate?
re-read

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

‘pure milk chocolate’
It is like calling sunny delight 'pure orange drink'.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hellblazer187 posted:

Oh, sorry, typo. Rum raisin. Not run. Again I am sorry for the confusion.

I knew what you meant :colbert:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

This is bullshit, Giorno's hand is supposed to be down Mista's pants.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Scholtz posted:

yeah the animators were cowards

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Scholtz posted:

Going in for that Six Bullets

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

yeah the animators were cowards

Extremely goddamned cursed.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Scholtz posted:

They fixed it for the BD release

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm glad there's still justice in this world

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The Banana Defender has logged on.

This isn’t unique to bananas. Every orchard everywhere uses vegetative propagation because it’s great.

Nine‐seven percent of pistachios grown in California, which is itself almost half of world production, are the ‘Kerman‘ cultivar.

That’s more foolhardy than when it’s done with bananas. At least banana growers have good reasons for their monoculture. It’s also less problematic than banana monoculture, because other cultivars of pistachios do exist and are widely grown in Iran and Turkey. The world at large wouldn’t care if Kerman pistachios fell victim to the equivalent of Panama Disease.

What makes banana special is that they can’t be grafted and to be marketable, their fruit must be seedless. No other major crop is under these constraints.

As an overgrown stalk of grass, the banana plant cannot be grafted.

If bananas could be grafted, we could use one rootstock, either genetically diverse seedlings or a cultivar proven to be fungus‐resistant and graft a Cavendish trunk to it.

Developing new varieties is difficult when any good candidate is also by definition a genetic dead end. Many millions of dollars have been spent with little to show for it because banana breeding is hard. It’s not like apples where John McIntosh can find a great new variety growing in his compost heap.

Just because other crops are worse doesn't make this ok? And there are shitloads of seedless banana cultivars, they just don't produce them for whatever reason. Various Pacific island countries have tried to produce and market different cultivars, but they got rejected by supermarkets because they couldn't guarantee a year-round supply which is supposedly what consumers want. So we just get Cavendish bananas, until the entire world is unable to grow them anymore I guess.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
There's nothing okay about bananas in the first place.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tbf I hate Cavendish flavor, but given the health benefits of bananas I'd really be happy to try others.

bike tory posted:

Various Pacific island countries have tried to produce and market different cultivars, but they got rejected by supermarkets because they couldn't guarantee a year-round supply which is supposedly what consumers want.

Convenience > literally anything else.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfv-Qn1M58I

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Look how else is the UK's greatest superhero going to activate his powers?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sockser posted:

They gave him back his vagina bones too.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

They gave him back his vagina bones too.

those are my vagina bones

give them back
you are a dog

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

mind the walrus posted:

Tbf I hate Cavendish flavor, but given the health benefits of bananas I'd really be happy to try others.

Convenience > literally anything else.

We, the people used to supermarkets, are going to need to get used to largely buying only seasonal baggies and fruits. There's no reason you have to have oranges in the dead of winter.

Keep everything rotating and appropriate for the season. gently caress frozen storage.

But you shouldn't listen to me because I know nothing about agriculture, food science or nutrition writ large.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Look how else is the UK's greatest superhero going to activate his powers?

So that wasn't a fever dream of mine!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

There's no reason you have to have oranges in the dead of winter....
But you shouldn't listen to me because I know nothing about agriculture, food science or nutrition writ large.

Good point. Orange season is from October to June, and peaks around January-March. So oranges in the dead of winter are actually p appropriate.

Agreed on the rest though, but it's more a general point for consumers. Remember Michelle Obama's attempt to get fast food and junk food to have accompanying nutrition facts? They do now and while it helps for some quick armchair nutrition math it doesn't actually dissuade most people because Convenience > Literally anything else.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Inzombiac posted:

Keep everything rotating and appropriate for the season. gently caress frozen storage.

But...frozen storage is one way to have seasonal produce available year-round. Buy it in season, freeze it until you want it. What the gently caress are you talking about? :confused:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

i think they're saying to stop eating things that arent in season

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6jjb2w5das

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46GuzqUKpOk

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

csammis posted:

But...frozen storage is one way to have seasonal produce available year-round. Buy it in season, freeze it until you want it. What the gently caress are you talking about? :confused:

And the entire world isn't in the same season at the same time. Hell, my favorite oranges are literally in season in January

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Azhais posted:

And the entire world isn't in the same season at the same time. Hell, my favorite oranges are literally in season in January

I mean from an environmental perspective we should eat far less stuff that's shipped from far away. Supply chains are a big problem.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean from an environmental perspective we should eat far less stuff that's shipped from far away. Supply chains are a big problem.

Yeah you don't need oranges. You can get vitamin C from rutabaga or whatever.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Turnip, potatoes, and apples are the only plants that will never let you down. Everything else is a coward

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Danaru posted:

Turnip, potatoes, and apples are the only plants that will never let you down. Everything else is a coward

What's wrong with parsnips, beets, radishes, carrots, and onions?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm sorry you had to find out in the meme thread, but they've been implicated in the Epstein scandal.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah, that's actually my point. I was just being a dink.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

A Sometimes Food posted:

But that's also utter bullshit because transportation cost is only a small part of the environmental impact of most agricultural products. Growing local is a nice for the local economy but from a sustainability perspective it's best to grow a given crop where it's the most productive for the same energy input.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/oBpmlN1.mp4

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Sockser posted:

I wish I was good at making memes because I always wanted to make an edit of this where Giorno is Trump and Mista is white supremacists. That has to already exist right?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Don't equate Giorno and Mista to Trump and white supremacists. They are good boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day