Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Get involved. The five of us who do GOONPAC will support you, and maybe more of SA will get involved if there’s a goon running for office/goon-led campaign for something worthwhile somewhere.

That dude was mentally ill and he was hardly considered “greatest rights leader of our time.”

But yeah Facebook’s entrenchment and monopoly are a massive problem for workers, not just for what people were saying yesterday regarding hiring/HR at many businesses basically expecting a social media presence, but also for anybody trying to work independently or start a small business. It’s incredibly difficult to start or run an independent gig of any sort without being able to advertise on Facebook.

I didn't really follow the trend directly, but at the time that was going viral people seemed willing to sign on to whatever that guy had to say and it seemed so important at the time and now I doubt anyone even really remembers the whole Joseph Kony "Lords Army" child soldier thing.

I also can't help notice that a lot of platforms or forums I used to use almost daily noticeably went to hard poo poo and became infested with assholes and propaganda talking points the moment they were sold out to large media corporations. I distinctly don't remember Gamefaqs being an absolute unequivocal nightmare before it was sold by Jeff Veasey to CBS and ditto youtube to Google and Twitch to Amazon. Suddenly the moderation just kind of stopped on Gamefaqs for example (The userbase also seems incapable of writing well put together FAQS and walkthroughs you used to see so much as pettily arguing among themselves) , the rules didn't seem to loving matter or apply the same to all parties (Youtube and Twitch are brutal for this as well where if you're a big streamer or corporate PR channel you can say or do just about anything you want but if you're just some random individual user have fun eventually getting your account locked out by amassing too many copyright claims where the onus is on you to counterclaim) and the purpose of those sites as seen by it's administrator's became kind of blatantly about towing a corporate line, propaganda, datamining the userbase, and amassing the most follows and likes more than the quality and utility of content.

There's many many more examples besides those, but the moment they got bought buy a large media corporation and stopped being run by self-appointed administrators from the userbase, hard loving turn to complete poo poo and the userbase just being infested with outright complete assholes that get the full run of the places without consequence cause the people that run them for all their talking points and bullshit demonstrably don't give a gently caress about fostering a healthy discussion environment free of bad faith rule breaking trolls if it has no net gain on their profit margins. The only reason for example Blizzard is even remotely trying to backpedal on their recent decisions is because the Bad PR Momentum has snowballed so badly against them that their big annual convention is rear end hosed and doomed to turn into a protest where the narrative won't be under their control. Took like two weeks for anything and it's only because it became clear they can't bury this poo poo before then and I doubt they can now either, but they're gonna try I guess.

Anyway I keep using this example because I've come to feel all of these problems are interconnected in a way in that they relate back to social media and it's all-encompassing influence on our society one way or another. That and even some U.S Congresspeople have started weighing in on it from both parties, and not the way I expected they would.

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1183428032587018240

I captured isis on the 5th day of May, but I could not hold onto them for very long

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Paradoxish posted:

The fact that Trump constantly says "my generals" is seriously disturbing.

He’s the Commander in Chief, it’s literally true.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

I think it betrays a lack of confidence that the brass actually supports him, which is kinda worrying in its own way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1183428032587018240

I captured isis on the 5th day or May, but I could not hold onto them for very long

Kind of weird to say this is a failure of "US policy" when it's directly attributable to one man making a decision out of fear. I mean, unless you're considering "the concept of the executive branch" to be the policy.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He’s the Commander in Chief, it’s literally true.

Yeah but that alone is seriously disturbing.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

As a carbon-based life form....

go on

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"Which abuts" what the gently caress are you even talking about clown?

Yeah the border is located next to the US. No poo poo. Does Saudi Arabia abuts the US?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Super-Id posted:

Pedro for president (of Turkey)

As they say in Alabama, Vote for Pedo

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

USPOL Fall: numbers are way down

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Number go...down?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah an intern wrote this. "Abuts" is way too advanced.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fallom posted:

Kind of weird to say this is a failure of "US policy" when it's directly attributable to one man making a decision out of fear. I mean, unless you're considering "the concept of the executive branch" to be the policy.

US policy has been to allow this man to take and remain in office despite being manifestly unfit in a thousand different ways the entire time.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

TulliusCicero posted:

"Which abuts" what the gently caress are you even talking about clown?
Trump did not write these tweets. Like, I would bet good money on it. I’d be surprised if he even had input.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

He's referred to "my judges" a lot recently too. I'm past the point of feeling disturbed by it, it's just kind of too open, blatant and well documented at this point that the guys well into the self-preserving phase of his attempted presidency for life. The power for powers sake style of "governing" that McConnell and the GOP seem to be all about now that has nothing to do with fulfilling their oath of office or civil service.

I'm still struggling to see how he possibly puts together a 2020 campaign that is anything more than more "Me vs. Enemies" talking points. At least in 2016 he seemed to have people around him that could focus him on to talking points and policy stuff even if eventually he'd back down from it like with Charlottesville, but I haven't heard any of that sort of poo poo relating to that sort of thing from him since mid 2017 and heard plenty of constant bitching about having to have political opponents and deal with an opposition in the house being allowed to criticize and not just blindly go along with him and the GOP.

It's clearly driven him absolutely loving mental and taken up all his focus and energy having to deal with the Democratic house majority now and we'd probably have seen this full meltdown bullshit from him even earlier in 2016 had the GOP not been given full control of all 3 branches for like the 2nd or 3rd time in the 21st century and had he not been convinced to go with the generic party picks like Priebus and Mattis as key staffers and advisors early on. Like the sheer contempt for even the idea of an opposition party he can't control is an existential crisis for the President of The United States and he thinks it's somehow unfair to him that the public dare exercise it's franchise to elect an opposition party to a majority in a chamber of congress. Like "how loving dare you America" in all but directly stated terms.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6029957/trump-video-shooting-white-house-response/

Incidentally this stuff getting out there and going viral and being viewed by millions is absolutely going to rear end gently caress the guy come 2020 if it keeps up. If he doesn't see the imminent danger in not getting on top of these sorts of things he's clearly not the social media wizard he's been touted as.

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 14, 2019

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The border is a mess and requires everything, but it's also way safer, and the wall is being built. Almost peak Trump blather there.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah an intern wrote this. "Abuts" is way too advanced.
Someone check his 'Word a day' calendar.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

I continue to be blown away by what a loving enormous mess he's made out of this situation by reveling in the fact that he doesn't understand or care to understand the complexities of the factions and relationships with non-state actors or American power projection at large.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Objurium posted:

I continue to be blown away by what a loving enormous mess he's made out of this situation by reveling in the fact that he doesn't understand or care to understand the complexities of the factions and relationships with non-state actors or American power projection at large.

Yeah who would've thought Donald "Kill Members of ISIS and their families" "We have nukes why don't we use them" Trump would be such a massively inept toolbox when it comes to foreign policy?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Taerkar posted:

Someone check his 'Word a day' calendar.

I hope not sporadically.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah who would've thought Donald "Kill Members of ISIS and their families" "We have nukes why don't we use them" Trump would be such a massively inept toolbox when it comes to foreign policy?

https://twitter.com/BenjaminHallFNC/status/1183804428132016128?s=20

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

100% Defeated*

*Defeat not guaranteed, terms and conditions apply

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Kale some loving brevity wouldn't kill you

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183833640507269120?s=20

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Okay, I have to ask perhaps a stupid question

Why is Turkey so keen on releasing ISIS members? Do they actually share an ideology, or is it just to cause chaos in the country?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

TheScott2K posted:

He's already the Miles Davis of clever, what more do you want from him?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

TheScott2K posted:

For kale that was actually quite brief.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Why is Turkey so keen on releasing ISIS members? Do they actually share an ideology, or is it just to cause chaos in the country?

Por que no los dos?

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean, sure - I'm not implying that he's been competent at pretty much anything in the past 2.5 years, but we're finally at the breaking point where he's fired all of the career military advisers that were keeping him from doing loving stupid poo poo like this and uh oh woops now there's an active genocide being waged against an American (former) proxy force by a NATO state.

This is by far the biggest mess he's created yet.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

RuanGacho posted:

There's a simple subtext, speech calling for the murder, enslavement, financial destruction and marginalization of readily identifiable human beings is at best, evil. The paradox of intolerance unfortunately plays into the neo liberal trap of all speech having a baseline value, whereas hate speech without social normalization would get you thrown out of communities.

It's the same warping of the baseline as 2nd amendment advocates insisting they need all guns with no restrictions.

Liberals tend to view restrictions on speech skeptically not out of any belief that all speech has value, but rather on the basis that such restrictions are invariably used by those with the power to set such restrictions to suppress any speech that would challenge their primacy. Once you give anyone the power to decide what thought is right or wrong thought you give them control over the ideas that can be expressed period with no opportunity to question the wisdom of those decisions which is a recipe for tyranny and oppression. It's never been about protecting the status quo or bad ideas it's about protecting the ability to challenge the status quo and bad ideas.

It's like I see all of these "the internet was a mistake" shitposts from people who obviously weren't politically aware during the time prior to the primacy of this communications channel and as such don't realize that the reason that leftist and progressive sentiment is on the rise and the younger generations tend to be more progressive and less hostile to leftist ideas is precisely because the Internet removed the filters that the mass media had placed to prevent their discussion.

The resurgence of regressive thought was the predictable and inevitable response to progress, they rightfully see that their existence and point of view is under threat and as such are trying to stop their inevitable extinction.

theflyingorc posted:

It's certainly possible for atheists to be moral, but I have yet to meet anyone whose core identity was "atheist" to not be kind of a shithead.

And those are the people most likely to show up at the meetings.

It's a flaw of any new adherent to a "belief" system and are in their militant spread the word on the "truth" stage. See it with leftists too who blame every societal ill on capitalism rather than on humans being kind of hosed up selfish ignorant creatures.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

DandyLion posted:

He's already the Miles Davis of clever, what more do you want from him?

More like Dials Mavis.

Mavis Beacon, because he took typing lessons so he could get one of those word dumps out in less than an hour.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"I thought we defeated ISIS"

"Well... they got better"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Tariffs. Trump is like that woman you went to high school with that sells essential oils and promises they'll cure everything.

Manufacturing in decline in the US? TARIFFS! China? TARIFFS! Impeachment? TARIFFS! Ethnic Cleansing and Genocide in Syria? TARIFFS!

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

CuddleCryptid posted:

erdogan loves chaos. he's also been allowing isis to move people and resources around his border since isis became a thing.

if you are into conspiracy theories, erdogan is aligned with russia who thinks releasing refugees and isis fighters into europe will fuel nationalistic sentiments and get more facists elected.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The dude just loving tweeted essentially "let them fight” and now this horseshit?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

"any persons contributing to Turkey's destabilizing actions in northeast Syria" drat the self-sanctioning gonna own

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
For once it's the republican crying about the dog dunking on them.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump has never heard of Napoleon Bonaparte.
"That's the ice cream with the three flavors, right?"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Whew this is apocalyptic.

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1183835814649827328

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
"liddle' Napoleon Bonaparte"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That looks same as ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Spite posted:

if you are into conspiracy theories, erdogan is aligned with russia who thinks releasing refugees and isis fighters into europe will fuel nationalistic sentiments and get more facists elected.

It isn’t as dumb as Trump’s plan to gain votes by fueling racial hatred via decimating rural communities with tariffs and his eventual plan to kill Medicare / Medicaid.

Judging by what the rear end-wipes at the NYT find from asking nazis in rural diners what’s what about Trump, it may be a successful stupid plan. :shrug: