Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dilber posted:

I just found out that there is an official discord. I just joined it, and it doesn't seem insane so:

https://discordapp.com/invite/BMRfCYC

Yeah, it's a fairly pleasant community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
friends, is this game out yet

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

buglord posted:

friends, is this game out yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi8O7JdA4Sg

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I have been on the official discord forever. It's been pretty dead until recently.

Has anyone seen motorics skills show up in conversations yet? I don't want to spoil myself watching streams.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Yeah, a bunch.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
This guy has written for a few big names, and seems extremely positive on the game

https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1183787665910616064

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I haven't seen anyone who's played this be anything less than enthused so far.

I'm sure there will be someone eventually, but I also suspect they'll be total wankers.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Yeah, the only complaint I've heard so far is a pretty typical streamer one: its a lot of reading out loud for them.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

The only middling preview I've read so far was someone not enjoying it much 'cause they felt overwhelmed, unsure where to go and preferred more "fun" in their games rather than depressing and/or heavier topics.

None of which is a negative for me, so.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Disco Elysium REVIEW - It's Mental! (45+ Hours Played) | HaasGaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7zZ57_GcIE

Also, from the ACG podcast:
"It makes Planescape: Torment look boring — it is that crazy."
"Planescape: Torment is one of my favorite ever games, and I still maintain it's the best written video game ever made."
"I might think this one is better, 'cause I would agree with you prior to playing this."
"I just looked up the aesthetic of this game, and it's totally my poo poo, man. It looks like the missing link between Torment and Fallout."

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Kyle Hyde posted:

Yeah, the only complaint I've heard so far is a pretty typical streamer one: its a lot of reading out loud for them.

I don't know why so many streamers seem to feel compelled to read everything out loud, especially for text-heavy games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Azathoth256 posted:

I don't know why so many streamers seem to feel compelled to read everything out loud, especially for text-heavy games.

Same reason you don't want dead air on the radio. A lot of people "watch" streamers as background noise (like while they play a video game) so they dislike if the streamer is silently reading something for two minutes.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Azathoth256 posted:

Maybe 'cause some viewers half-watch/half-listen, and by reading out loud they also don't have to worry about audience's reading speeds? Though it can be painful for a game with a vocabulary like Disco, especially if they stumble upon certain words and then stare at them in silence trying to figure out pronunciations.

That said, it works well enough for people who know what they're doing. I was pleasantly surprised when one of the preview streamers turned out to be legit decent at voice acting and ended up doing fairly spot-on impressions of most in-game voices as he read through, right away from their opening lines. Still wouldn't watch an entire game like that, but then again, I rarely watch streams or LPs anyway.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

There is NOTHING worse than a streamer reading things to me. I can already read, and it's worse when they try to do voices instead of reading in their own voice.

Anyway my computer is 10 years old so I'm not playing this game but it looks cool as heck!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MMF Freeway posted:

Same reason you don't want dead air on the radio. A lot of people "watch" streamers as background noise (like while they play a video game) so they dislike if the streamer is silently reading something for two minutes.

Yeah, this is generally how I treat streams I watch; sometimes, if people are laughing or screaming, I tune in to see what the gently caress's going on, but otherwise I'm off playing CK2 while some dude plays through the boring parts.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

FairGame posted:

There is NOTHING worse than a streamer reading things to me. I can already read, and it's worse when they try to do voices instead of reading in their own voice.

Anyway my computer is 10 years old so I'm not playing this game but it looks cool as heck!

was going to say I don't think it has particularly high system requirements, but I guess if it's literally from 2009 the CPU might be an issue

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Commentaryless streaming and youtube LPs exist, but its definitely a niche. I think the only people who are like 100% attentive to a twitch stream is either an active chatter or a mod or something, so like someone else said you gotta fill that silence. I personally far prefer that the streamer is reading game text over interacting with chat, which is the worst aspect of streaming imo. (Chat, that is.) But it's also the primary draw, so whatever.

GewuerzKahn
Jan 7, 2014

My opposable nipples are hurting me.

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, this is generally how I treat streams I watch; sometimes, if people are laughing or screaming, I tune in to see what the gently caress's going on, but otherwise I'm off playing CK2 while some dude plays through the boring parts.
You listen someone playing a game while playing another game?
I pity you.

The art in this game is gorgeous.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

GewuerzKahn posted:

I pity you.
Lots of people do this, its not really that different from listening to a podcast or an audiobook.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The only thing I listen to when I’m gaming is the game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

The only thing I listen to when I’m gaming is the game.

Depends on the game. I don't really need sound when I'm relaxing with Civ IV or a Tropico game.

EDIT: Disco Elysium Review "Buy, Wait for Sale, Rent, Never Touch?" | ACG

He has 600k+ subs and he's telling his followers it's Torment good, so that's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-HPqErucFk

Megazver fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 14, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

GewuerzKahn posted:

I pity you.

It's actually kinda impressive how snotty this post is.

Megazver posted:

Depends on the game. I don't really need sound when I'm relaxing with Civ IV or a Tropico game.

Yeah, this. Like, if I'm on my first playthrough of something really engrossing and story driven - such as a certain upcoming weird RPG - I'm sure as hell not gonna put on any extra distractions.
But if I'm just messing around with something familiar, like chilling in Warframe or whatever, yeah I'll often have some familiar streamer's broadcast on my secondary monitor. Hell, sometimes it might even be the same game I'm playing myself.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 14, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Megazver posted:

He has 600k+ subs and he's telling his followers it's Torment good, so that's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-HPqErucFk

is this strange feeling... hope?

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

One more review came out (reviewer played through it twice):

quote:

Disco Elysium is indeed “a story-driven isometric role playing game about being a total, irreversible and unmitigated failure“. It is the deeply personal story of our drunkard speed-freak protagonist and the struggle with his inner demons, always within the context of the political-social circumstances of his times. It is one of the best-written RPGs in recent memory. It is a glimpse inside the mind of Hunter S. Thompson, combined with the best script that David Lynch never wrote. It is True Detective’s Rust Cohle, drinking beer and smoking opium with Sherlock Holmes while Twin Peaks’ Dale Cooper is in the next room brewing drat good coffee. Despite being the first title to be produced by the independent developers of ZA/UM Studio, Disco Elysium is undoubtedly an indie masterpiece that will be regarded as one of the benchmarks with which we compare all future endeavours in the isometric RPG genre.

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 14, 2019

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

is this strange feeling... hope?

you're witnessing history in the making, a game that will change future RPGs forever

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jesus christ just inject the game straight into my veins already

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
drat, really is starting to look like this game could actually live up to the hype. These guys have spent 13 years or whatever making it, I hope it sells gangbusters for them.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Megazver posted:

I've never watched his vids but usually his reviews get a billion upvotes when they're linked to Reddit so I assume he's pretty influential. It would warm my heart to see this game be a hit

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So uh, how much is this gonna cost? Needa know if I should pack lunches this week to save on $.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

buglord posted:

So uh, how much is this gonna cost? Needa know if I should pack lunches this week to save on $.

40bux if there's not like a 10% release week discount

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Apart from making me even more hype for this game, I now want to book a hotel room just so I can leave it like... that:allears:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bardeh posted:

drat, really is starting to look like this game could actually live up to the hype. These guys have spent 13 years or whatever making it, I hope it sells gangbusters for them.

Far as I understood, the video game has taken like five years. The years before that have been the tabletop RPG system it's based on.

But yeah, here's hoping it'll be a big hit. The buzz seems to be pretty good at least.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

whew just read the detail that time only passes when you're at dialogue (be with people/items/your own skills/environment)

good, now I feel I don't have to rush around the map

e: just to clarify: I read that it ADVANCES when you SELECT the dialogue options

frajaq fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 15, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

frajaq posted:

whew just read the detail that time only passes when you're at dialogue (be with people/items/your own skills/environment)

good, now I feel I don't have to rush around the map

yessss

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Jesus, I'm watching like 7th stream of the same opening scene and just came across some completely new dialogue options. How.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I take back my comments about the late game that I saw on one stream - the streamer hit a gamebreaking bug (though the devs are already sorting him out) but overall the back end is really well paced too

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

... but overall the back end is really well paced too

That's good to hear.

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Jesus, I'm watching like 7th stream of the same opening scene and just came across some completely new dialogue options. How.

lol, :same:

It's kinda great and kinda maddening. On one hand, it gives you fresh content without advancing into deeper gameplay. On the other, it makes it real tempting to watch further because you know how different it can end up being from your future playthrough.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
So if I want to play as Literal Rust Cohle in this game I figure I have to max out Electrochemistry, Shivers, and probably Inland Empire right? And then take every single self-important pessimistic dialogue choice.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I like that even the game name can be a buzzmaker just because how unusual it is in ~Expected Gaming Conventions~

then you learn it is a detective game and just before they say "uh WHAT" you already got them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i feel like im going to speed an entire evening just figuring my character build tomorrow. i cant loving wait