Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I watched the first episode of The Expanse and enjoyed the setting and background, but didn’t find the two main characters and their storylines very interesting at all. Should I keep watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm just getting to Season 3 now. There are some great characters, but The Expanse has a lot more that it offers. The world building is top-notch, and a lot of reverence is paid to the restrictions of zipping around in space. There's a lot of care in it.

I'd say keep going if you don't loathe the characters, there's bound to be a couple you can latch onto coming up.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I say try to finish the first season. I cared a lot more about the characters by the time it was over.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I didn't get really into the Expanse until a few episodes in, but now it is my favourite current tv show, it's loving fantastic. Holden never really gets over his Jon Snow slightly dull main character syndrome but that's ok there are enough good characters. I'd say watch until the first big space battle in season one episode 4, if you don't like that the show isn't for you.

I notice Mindhunter season two has appeared, anyone watch yet?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

On Netflix, I saw The Between Two Ferns Movie and the series Unbelievable, and I loved them both. Diametrically opposite tones, but both good.

I'm just now starting Mindhunter, and that seems good too. I was kind of losing faith in Netflix too.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I only saw the first episode of Unbelievable, and I intend to finish it, but oh my gosh it made me so loving angry.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
American Factory is a good documentary on Netflix. It’s about a Chinese glass company reopening a closed car factory in Ohio.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mindhunter is already one of the best series ever made. It really kicks in in season 2 when it's not just about serial killers but also the characters' personal stories get developed more. I can't wait for season 3.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hulu just added 24 of the most recent episodes of American Dad!

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt
This was probably already mentioned, but Fleabag is absolutely delightful.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Watched Lethal Weapon 1 thru 6 on Hulu

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been throwing on whatever to be in the background and I was surprised by how much I liked CastleVania, especially towards the end. It was really good all around.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The second half of the season (or S2, whatever) was pretty ace because it had to do way less setup.

Might be fun to see where those lingering threads end up, but the fight in the castle was awesome.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Might be fun to see where those lingering threads end up, but the fight in the castle was awesome.

It somewhat seems to be setting up for an alternative take on Curse of Darkness.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It somewhat seems to be setting up for an alternative take on Curse of Darkness.

Is that the one where Soma's kid is in it, or it's modern day and the protag is Dracula resurrected or something

Because I heard they were on track to do Super Castlevania next.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Is that the one where Soma's kid is in it, or it's modern day and the protag is Dracula resurrected or something

Because I heard they were on track to do Super Castlevania next.

It's the one where Hector is the protag.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Doubleposting because the first 41 episodes of Saint Seiya have recently become available to watch on the North American, Australian, and New Zealand Netflix line up.

If you like 80s anime, or like seeing the stuff that influenced A LOT of other things (if you liked, say, Ronin Warriors/Yoroiden Samurai Troopers, this'll be your bag), you really can't go wrong with Saint Seiya. They've split it a bit oddly, since they have it listed as three seasons, but it's really just over half of the Sanctuary arc, which is the first of three (Sanctuary, Poseidon and the Asgardians, and then the Hades OAVs). There's really no word yet if we'll get the rest, but several other countries' line ups have the rest of Sanctuary, and all the way through Poseidon and the Asgardians.

Saint Seiya has been treated pretty poorly when it comes to getting released in English (it did really well in Latin America and other regions). It came way late, and the original US English dub was cut to hell by DiC and replaced the pretty good if you're into 80s anime themes, Pegasus Fantasy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu533OKYHyc
with this hot mess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxrsEAIMT4

We did eventually get an uncut box set of Sanctuary, but that was from ADV, and they went under pretty much immediately after saying "Oh yeah, we totally want to do the rest." This is a entirely new dub, and new subtitles for undubbed. I hope this does well, and we can get the rest. Saint Seiya really was a seriously influential series, and I think it deserves a new chance.

If you like it, and want more, Saint Seiya Omega is available on Crunchyroll, and The Lost Canvas on Netflix. Netflix also has the new remake, but...uh...it's not very good.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Binged through Living With Yourself with Paul Rudd on Netflix. It was pretty good, not great but I was really impressed with them having 2 Paul Rudd's on the screen at the same time. Normally it looks off somehow but there's several scenes where you just kinda forget that there's not really 2 Rudd's.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Bonding on Netflix is good, and you can get through it all in one sitting, as there are 7 episodes, each 15-20 minutes long.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Joey Freshwater posted:

Binged through Living With Yourself with Paul Rudd on Netflix. It was pretty good, not great but I was really impressed with them having 2 Paul Rudd's on the screen at the same time. Normally it looks off somehow but there's several scenes where you just kinda forget that there's not really 2 Rudd's.

Do I have a surprise for you

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
BoJack final season part 1 dropped today.

It was good. Dividing the last season so I wait 3 more months before getting to cancel Netflix forever isn’t.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Rolo posted:

BoJack final season part 1 dropped today.

It was good. Dividing the last season so I wait 3 more months before getting to cancel Netflix forever isn’t.

Wow that is devious. Get spoiled when the first part blows up everywhere online or pony up for 2 months loving Netflix

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Oct 26, 2019

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Watch something else? Burn up a free trial?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, a Netflix subscription is monthly, you can cancel now and restart when the next season drops then cancel for good. The gap isn’t that devious.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just added up all the monthly subscription fees I get from streaming sites and I'm about $10 shy of coming out even if I just get the bundle with my internet/cell phone plan. I'd cancel them and bundle up, but that would mean a bunch of my friends wouldn't be able to watch shows anymore. :(

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Also cable is still worse than online services, even if they were more expensive I'd still enjoy it more.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just rewatched Goon and its sequel and they are probably the best two hockey movies that also happen to currently be on netflix. They're good.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, a Netflix subscription is monthly, you can cancel now and restart when the next season drops then cancel for good. The gap isn’t that devious.

I did cancel months ago, I figured I would restart for a month finish Bojack and a few other shows I skipped on then be done with Netflix. So breaking it up into two half season ensures that I have to pay for 2 months(or burn a trial or :filez:) which is an unpleasant surprise

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Oct 26, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I just rewatched Goon and its sequel and they are probably the best two hockey movies that also happen to currently be on netflix. They're good.

There's a sequel?!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's a sequel?!

yeah "last of the enforcers". It's not quite as good but I still liked it.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I just watched the Swamp Thing series... It was kinda cheap but fun to watch, felt like they could've gone really crazy with a second series & more budget

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hub Cat posted:

I did cancel months ago, I figured I would restart for a month finish Bojack and a few other shows I skipped on then be done with Netflix. So breaking it up into two half season ensures that I have to pay for 2 months(or burn a trial or :filez:) which is an unpleasant surprise

Or wait 3 months then watch it because the Netflix fee is outside your budget.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

This is for all the motherfuckers that I hate,
Dolemite is My Name is great.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 10:52 on Oct 26, 2019

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just added up all the monthly subscription fees I get from streaming sites and I'm about $10 shy of coming out even if I just get the bundle with my internet/cell phone plan. I'd cancel them and bundle up, but that would mean a bunch of my friends wouldn't be able to watch shows anymore. :(

Cable is absolutely worse. Whenever I travel for work and stay in hotels I am reminded of this fact. My best options are Office marathons, Parks & Rec marathons or Impractical Jokers marathons, each of which are regularly interrupted by massive slabs of commercials tailored to the kinds of freaks that still watch cable. Say what you want about streaming services but cable has gotten mad spooky.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

mysterious frankie posted:

Cable is absolutely worse. Whenever I travel for work and stay in hotels I am reminded of this fact. My best options are Office marathons, Parks & Rec marathons or Impractical Jokers marathons, each of which are regularly interrupted by massive slabs of commercials tailored to the kinds of freaks that still watch cable. Say what you want about streaming services but cable has gotten mad spooky.

This goon gets it

And for content: it’s probably been mentioned before but new season of schitt’s creek is on Netflix and entire series is absolutely hilarious. Took me a few episodes to get into it bc the tone was mean but it was only used to show family’s growth into actual people.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

mysterious frankie posted:

Yeah I travel for work and spend 5-15 days a month in hotels. It’s probably been 2 years since I’ve even turned the TV on because I just can’t handle another 8 straight episodes of Family Guy with the same 5 insurance commercials playing over and over.

It’s torture.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

Yeah I travel for work and spend 5-15 days a month in hotels. It’s probably been 2 years since I’ve even turned the TV on because I just can’t handle another 8 straight episodes of Family Guy with the same 5 insurance commercials playing over and over.

It’s torture.

The last time I had to do a hotel for work I packed my PS4 as a Netflix machine because cable actually makes me more bored these days. Like, it acts as a reminder that I’m cooped up. poo poo stresses me out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

These episodes are so good. Like holy poo poo

About Bojack

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Len posted:

These episodes are so good. Like holy poo poo

About Bojack

Yeah they definitely hooked me and I’m curious how they’re going to resolve it or I guess just kill everyone in 8 final episodes.

The new intro is awesome too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Prank Encounters is pretty excellent.