Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Vince admitted it was a mistake

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/09/26/breaking_bad_accuracy_the_show_s_biggest_errors_and_mistakes_from_blue_meth.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Concerning the time BB is set in, there's a moment where Walt Jr and Holly are staying at Hank and Marie's and they mention that they are going to watch Ratatouie.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Jesse Plemons is 5'10? Why did BB make me think he's 6'4?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

No Wave posted:

Jesse Plemons is 5'10? Why did BB make me think he's 6'4?

There’s a scene in Friday Night Lights where he towers over the team’s star defensive tackle which is just hilarious casting on their part. But he’s also paired up with Adrienne Palicki who’s like 6 feet and taller than him.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I guess by BB standards 5'10 is actually rather tall. I looked up all the main cast and Cranston is the tallest at 5'11 (he always looked large in the show now I know why I guess). Badger is legit tall tho he actually is 6'4.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
aaron paul is really tiny, ive met him

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm on team 'this didn't need to be made,' but I enjoyed it enough that I guess I'm glad it was. The flashbacks with Jesse Plemons were good, but I could have done without the cameos. Yeah, it was awesome to see Bryan Cranston, but it didn't really add much, and as someone who thinks Mike's been dramatically overused in BCS, I don't feel like we ever had a chance to miss him in the first place, so seeing him was just whatever. If we were going to get a flashback with a love interest, I can't help thinking something with Andrea would have been more meaningful than bringing back Jane.

I also can't help thinking Jesse would probably still get caught eventually, because they still have tv and internet in Alaska and with the scars he doesn't really have a face people are going to just look past, but imo it was clearly the right move to end on a happy note where he at least has a chance to avoid getting thrown back in a cage and murdered by Nazis.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The anachronisms aren’t “fuckups.” When the actual show takes place is purposefully vague/indeterminate and like a lot of fiction: it doesn’t matter. You see years written in newspapers and other sources, but those are just props.

Nerds have a terrible time reconciling this. See also: the crazy poo poo that Harry Potter fans do to try and figure out how Harry Potter’s cousin got a PlayStation for Christmas when it wasn’t out til the year after!! Omg anachronism! Dumb.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's a shame we didn't get a scene where Jesse goes to Los Pollos Hermanos and gets valuable life advice from Gus.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Last Chance posted:

The anachronisms aren’t “fuckups.” When the actual show takes place is purposefully vague/indeterminate and like a lot of fiction: it doesn’t matter. You see years written in newspapers and other sources, but those are just props.

Nerds have a terrible time reconciling this. See also: the crazy poo poo that Harry Potter fans do to try and figure out how Harry Potter’s cousin got a PlayStation for Christmas when it wasn’t out til the year after!! Omg anachronism! Dumb.

Gilligan himself said it was an accident my guy. TV writers are imperfect, even on this show. This isn't loving Archer or Legion or whatever where they are trying to keep it out of time. It's just "the present" of when the show started and real life went faster than the plot. You are correct that it doesn't matter because if it did they probably would've cut that line, but they do make some conscious effort to keep it deliberately late 2000s.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Vince can say what he wants, I'm going to interpret the text on its own :colbert:

Sinteres posted:

If we were going to get a flashback with a love interest, I can't help thinking something with Andrea would have been more meaningful than bringing back Jane.

Agreed. Though I always thought it was weird, and evidence they were writing the show on the fly (not that there's anything wrong with that), that Jesse starts out exploiting her to sell drugs to her and then really quickly comes to treat her as his beloved one and only.

More egregious was Mike, in his final moments, having a go at Walt and accusing him of killing Gus because of his "pride." It was because Gus was planning to off him, which in turn was because he had Gale killed, which he did to protect himself and also Jesse... the person Mike now cares about! The whole rift stemmed from Jesse, not Walt.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

thing is I don't even remember why Mike was mad, it's still one of my favorite scenes because the resolution is so dang funny. Walt apologizing to Mike in the weirdest way while revealing that Mike is dying for no reason because he can get the names from Lydia. "aw, jeez, I'm sorry Mike!"

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

freebooter posted:

The one thing that threw me was I really expected the letter at the end to be for Drew Sharp's parents. His death is the final straw for Jesse finally pulling away from Walt, it's made very clear in season 5 that it continually haunts him, and as far as his parents know he's still missing and might be alive somewhere. I thought Jesse would want to give them some kind of closure. (Not sure how you tactfully explain that you can't tell them where the body's buried, though...)

Didn't Walt take care of that loose end?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Gilligan himself said it was an accident my guy. TV writers are imperfect, even on this show. This isn't loving Archer or Legion or whatever where they are trying to keep it out of time. It's just "the present" of when the show started and real life went faster than the plot. You are correct that it doesn't matter because if it did they probably would've cut that line, but they do make some conscious effort to keep it deliberately late 2000s.

Yeah you’re totally right about them making a conscious effort to keep the timeline in the same era, but I still hesitate to call things like the bin Laden thing a mistake if the timeline is played with a bit and isn’t 100% nailed down in the first place.

It just seems way too nit picky and as long as the internal timeline of plot events makes sense, then who gives a poo poo if we don’t see any first gen iPhones or androids floating around lol. That’s just dumb

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Didn't Walt take care of that loose end?

Not that I recall. He didn't give a poo poo.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Marie saw Jesse’s confession video being made right? She may have relayed the Drew Sharp info

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's set during 2008, this is also heavily indicated when Jesse is in the car listening to the radio and the news is saying that the American and European stock markets have seen massive drops.

The original iphone was out just before this period so smartphones were in their relative infancy. They weren't ubiquitous for a couple of years yet.

Jesse's friends were playing an Xbox One game going by the controllers.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

No Wave posted:

Their season 1s can be great, before there are fans. HoC and OitNB tanked faster than any other show I've seen.

HoC is a pretty bad example. Show just had bad writers from the start. Season 1 was only decent because they could just copy off the UK HoC.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesse's friends were playing an Xbox One game going by the controllers.

Those are 360 controllers.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Edit: never mind. Tried to be funny but I'm tired and it just sounded pissy instead. Ignore me.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 15, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

freebooter posted:

Vince can say what he wants, I'm going to interpret the text on its own :colbert:

Agreed. Though I always thought it was weird, and evidence they were writing the show on the fly (not that there's anything wrong with that), that Jesse starts out exploiting her to sell drugs to her and then really quickly comes to treat her as his beloved one and only.

More egregious was Mike, in his final moments, having a go at Walt and accusing him of killing Gus because of his "pride." It was because Gus was planning to off him, which in turn was because he had Gale killed, which he did to protect himself and also Jesse... the person Mike now cares about! The whole rift stemmed from Jesse, not Walt.

That’s Mikes bias in how much he haaaates Walt though. Yeah technically it was Jesse who caused the gently caress up but it was a convoluted series of events and you know mike blames Walt somehow.

It’s possible that as he sees it, Walt didn’t have to bring in Jesse to push out Gale to begin with and only did it because he could control him. (Which isn’t the case, but it could look that way)

Also Walt killed Gus to save Hank. In crawl space Gus was mad in part because Hank was investigating him and told Walt he’s deal with it and kill his kids if he interfered.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 15, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Let's not forget Marie makes a point to say how crazy it is that it's only been a year. The whole series takes place one year between Walt's birthdays up to season 5. She straight up says "it's only been a year! Feels longer doesn't it :downs:"

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

massive spider posted:

That’s Mikes bias in how much he haaaates Walt though. Yeah technically it was Jesse who caused the gently caress up but it was a convoluted series of events and you know mike blames Walt somehow.

This is why I think (even though Fring is great and the storyline is ultimately great) season 4 is probably the comparatively weakest of the series, because the whole "Mike grooms Jesse into being on-side and then Walt poisons Brock to somehow trick him back" story is really convoluted in its twists and turns. The finale of season 3 by comparison is almost perfect in its chess endgame simplicity. I also remember being really pleased when season 5 wiped the slate clean from Fring and the superlab and chucked them back into this smaller, more personalised operation where they have to improvise more. Season 3 and 4 kind of blur together to me into being set in the same repetitive environment of the superlab.

Having said that, the Better Call Saul season that basically follows all the complex logistics of Mike and Fring building the superlab is great, and all the more so because the entire time we know Walt and Jesse eventually just burn it to the ground.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Also would anything actually link Jesse to the welding shop? He threatens the three survivors but I figured word would leak out because the sex workers were there earlier that night (and would then see on the news that two guys got shot and then the place burned down), but then it occurred to me prostitution is probably illegal in New Mexico so they wouldn't say anything to the cops. But depending on how much physical evidence was left post-fire, his grandfather's Luger would have a pretty unique ballistic signature. Though I guess it doesn't really matter because it's not like he could be any more wanted than he already is.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Very hard to get a “unique ballistic signature” on a corpse that’s gone through a explosion.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I started googling to see whether that would actually be the case if the bodies were inside a structure and the explosions were outside it, but now I'm thinking I don't want to end up on a watchlist.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Now I am imagining a massive spider carrying around the husk of a kitten :(

Jesse is currently alive and cute as heck.

Though since I'm his captor i wonder if that makes me Walt or Todd.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Makes a lot more sense that "harder than killing Bin Laden" would be uttered before he was actually killed...

A little extra character development happened for Jesse, Walt and Todd. I'm guessing you're not super familiar with the show, its rhythms and where the beats of the flashbacks fall to see it. It's also interesting to see so much of Jesse destroyed, but a little of the old Jesse fitfully shines through.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

massive spider posted:

Jesse is currently alive and cute as heck.

Though since I'm his captor i wonder if that makes me Walt or Todd.

Again, the username comes into play so i think it'd be Todd just by association.

More importantly, though, omg! What a precious kitty! I know this isn't the thread so I will keep it brief, but you're both lucky to have come across one another. :)

Back on topic: I hadn't rewatched Breaking Bad since the finale and revisited it after El Camino. Something about the core of El Camino is missing, and it's not Walt. I am too sleepy to really dissect and critique it right now, but when you watch the show and BCS and compare El Camino, I personally feel the latter comes out looking super weak. And it isn't the difference in format (since, as mentioned, it feels like 3 episodes taped together more than a movie), nor the fact it focuses on Jesse and not Walt or Saul. The more I think about it, the more I personally feel the movie should have been set entirely before the finale, just focusing on his captivity.

I mean, like most everyone else, I still enjoyed it, but I don't feel like it's really an important entry to the series, which is kinda a bummer.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

anything compared to better call saul comes out looking weak.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Groovelord Neato posted:

anything compared to better call saul comes out looking weak.

This is true. I'm glad people are liking BCS more now. When i said i enjoyed it more than Breaking Bad during season 1 I got some looks from friends. Personally I find it more compelling than Breaking Bad. I get more emotionally involved.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Human Crouton posted:

I liked it. I would have loved it if they had left out the flashbacks and the Jane ghost at the end. I would have preferred Jesse's road to freedom be filled with more puzzles and nonsense instead of filling in gaps that didn't need to be filled.

Life Advice From Janes Past did seem pretty unnecessary yeah but it was nice to see her again even if only for a minute.

Otherwise it felt like a really great big ol red "FINISHED" stamp on the series to me, I really enjoyed it! A good epilogue to some of the best TV to be shown in many years. Even though it has simultaneously been many years since it was shown, it's still real drat good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, Ricky Hitler was so awesome in this lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

freebooter posted:

season 4 is probably the comparatively weakest of the series,

gently caress off

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I liked how well they showed Jesse being treated like a half-neglected pet. Todd speaks to him like he's a dog or child or something. Kept in a cage or on a leash--even if it's a proverbial one like Todd keeps him on when burying the housekeeper. Hosed down. Like, he's basically Todd's human puppy dog that he's not a good owner towards.

I am pretty sure Todd is easily one of the most psychologically damaged characters in the show. Even Tuco had his drug use to blame his rash judgement on, but Todd... he doesn't seem to have any value whatsoever for anyone's life (except his own). Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's either sociopathy or psychopathy, right?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The terms sociopath and psychopath get muddled a lot because they’re from different disciplines, so it’s jot an either/or. But yeah he definitely has abnormally low empathy characteristic of a psychopath.

The funny thing about psychopaths is that it’s possible to be a “pro social” psychopath who intellectually understands that you’re supposed to treat people nice while lacking the gut level compassion that would otherwise make them do it without instruction, so Todd skirts that line.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just love him putting the belt on after taking it from the lady's neck, with the implication being that he strangled this woman like an hour ago and this is actually the second time today he has put this belt on #justtoddthings

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

massive spider posted:

The terms sociopath and psychopath get muddled a lot because they’re from different disciplines, so it’s jot an either/or. But yeah he definitely has abnormally low empathy characteristic of a psychopath.

The funny thing about psychopaths is that it’s possible to be a “pro social” psychopath who intellectually understands that you’re supposed to treat people nice while lacking the gut level compassion that would otherwise make them do it without instruction, so Todd skirts that line.

Yeah, that makes sense. I had read about the pro social psychopathy stuff before. Turns out it's good for capitalists--go figure. But yeah, regardless, he definitely lacks empathy, like you said. Meanwhile, though, he seems so likeable on a surface level. Like, if you just met him at work or at a bar or something and didn't know the white supremacist stuff or his ease with murder, etc., I can easily imagine thinking he was a totally cool, albeit maybe a little slow-ish, guy. He's got a boyish charm, and it's suuuuuper creepy.

I love it (for the character).

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Donovan Trip posted:

Let's not forget Marie makes a point to say how crazy it is that it's only been a year. The whole series takes place one year between Walt's birthdays up to season 5. She straight up says "it's only been a year! Feels longer doesn't it :downs:"

2 years, he has a turkey bacon birthday in the pilot and dies on his birthday but there's another birthday in there (he makes the bacon number himself bc skyler's over it at that point)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Turkey bacon in the pilot, the next birthday where Skylar doesn't do the bacon number but Walt Jr. makes her do it, and then when Walt does it himself at Denny's.