Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It wasn't nearly as bad before hand IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
If anyone liked the combat in Indivisible I would suggest check out Super Robot Taisen: Endless Frontier. It's a spinoff from the regular SRW series and features people instead of robots and uses traditional RPG mechanics (exploring maps, random encounters). Plays very much like an evolution of the NamcoXCapcom games or one of the Project X Zone games, but with much tighter and more rewarding combos because of the focused cast (opposed to dozens of characters).

The first one came out Stateside and while the story is a little dumb and generic anime the gameplay is super enjoyable. It's also a game where item usage, while not critical, can break the game in half if done well. Oh, and somehow it's also a Xenosaga crossover. KOS-MOS is literally in your main party.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zushio posted:

If anyone liked the combat in Indivisible I would suggest check out Super Robot Taisen: Endless Frontier. It's a spinoff from the regular SRW series and features people instead of robots and uses traditional RPG mechanics (exploring maps, random encounters). Plays very much like an evolution of the NamcoXCapcom games or one of the Project X Zone games, but with much tighter and more rewarding combos because of the focused cast (opposed to dozens of characters).

The first one came out Stateside and while the story is a little dumb and generic anime the gameplay is super enjoyable. It's also a game where item usage, while not critical, can break the game in half if done well. Oh, and somehow it's also a Xenosaga crossover. KOS-MOS is literally in your main party.

The sequel JUST got a fan translation like yesterday too.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Well, I know my next game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I am that person who still listens to the soundtracks and pines for the three missing Xenosaga games. I LIKED MY ANIME NOVEL RPGS.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zushio posted:

i played through this entire game and all i can remember is that there was a cowboy and also massive anime titties some of which were also gun's

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zushio posted:

If you liked the first, there's a tl patch for the sequel if you want it too.

https://twitter.com/ValkyrieXY/status/1183058813651476481

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Zushio posted:

FORCED EVASION
FORCED EVASION
FORCED EVASION
FORCED EVASION

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm pretty sure the Endless Frontier games straight up continue the crossover universe from NxC and then are followed up by PxZ canonically just because of the main characters of NxC also being in Endless Frontier and referencing that stuff. Not that it really matters, since the plot is just fun anime nonsense (and you know, an actual fun game as opposed to the proper SRPG crossover games).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

I'm pretty sure the Endless Frontier games straight up continue the crossover universe from NxC and then are followed up by PxZ canonically just because of the main characters of NxC also being in Endless Frontier and referencing that stuff. Not that it really matters, since the plot is just fun anime nonsense (and you know, an actual fun game as opposed to the proper SRPG crossover games).

Hey, they're also in srw and those are amazing srpgs.

We need a new OGs game though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Infinity Gaia posted:

The sequel JUST got a fan translation like yesterday too.

Oh that's super cool, thanks for the info! I have a friend who will be super happy about this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

The delightful thing about those games is that yes, they are connected in canon. Which in turn means that you can directly go Kevin Bacon on tons of different game franchises and it's completely valid.

Technically it's entirely possible that Yakuza could meet Mechagodzilla IN CANON.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leraika posted:

FORCED EVASION
FORCED EVASION
FORCED EVASION
FORCED EVASION

:shepface:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I mean Yakuza could meet Mechagodzilla anyway, that seems entirely feasible to me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DQXI's pacing is just awful. I get the "every single quest is episodic" but with how long the game is and how unwilling it is to discuss setting details, have the protagonist talk despite being plot critical, have plot arcs that end so stupidly I remember them only because how awful it makes our protagonist/writers look, and reserve actual narrative for approximately 20ish hours into the game and dollop it out like its a medical regimen Im not loving it.

Oh and Sylvando is like they realized a powerful group heal is stupidly brokenly overpowered in DQ at 20 hours in and then decided that should carry him all the way through. In fairness though it absolutely will carry you through the first 2/3rds of the way through, it just sucks that pretty much is all he can do (oomphle is nice too)

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 15, 2019

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

If you liked the first, there's a tl patch for the sequel if you want it too.

https://twitter.com/ValkyrieXY/status/1183058813651476481

holy poo poo, i gave up on being able to play this ages ago

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Barudak posted:

DQXI's pacing is just awful. I get the "every single quest is episodic" but with how long the game is and how unwilling it is to discuss setting details, have the protagonist talk despite being plot critical, have plot arcs that end so stupidly I remember them only because how awful it makes our protagonist/writers look, and reserve actual narrative for approximately 20ish hours into the game and dollop it out like its a medical regimen Im not loving it.

Oh and Sylvando is like they realized a powerful group heal is stupidly brokenly overpowered in DQ at 20 hours in and then decided that should carry him all the way through. In fairness though it absolutely will carry you through the first 2/3rds of the way through, it just sucks that pretty much is all he can do (oomphle is nice too)

sylvandos charm based attack skills are pretty good. hes the king of versatility because he can do anything you want him to do. decent single target damage, decent aoe, good support skills, and excellent healing

as for the pacing yeah thats kind of a series staple. the plot does kick into high year in a very interesting way at the end of act 1 tho

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I've only played the demo but does the game ever lighten up on the chosen one garbage

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m fairly certain that’s most DQ plotlines

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Looper posted:

I've only played the demo but does the game ever lighten up on the chosen one garbage

Nope.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i know the dragon quest series loves its cliches but the "chosen one via brand/pendant/other mysterious glowing emblem" thing always exasperates me

DQ8 was the only other game in the series i played and it was a little better about it, the protag started on his adventure mainly because he was the only yutz who didn't get petrified by a kingdom-spanning curse

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m fairly certain that’s most DQ plotlines

it's mostly that every party member I've gotten is with me explicitly because someone told them to follow the chosen one. older games gave your friends at least a little bit of internal motivation

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Looper posted:

it's mostly that every party member I've gotten is with me explicitly because someone told them to follow the chosen one. older games gave your friends at least a little bit of internal motivation

I only feel like that's true of Erik, Serena and Veronica personally, the others have a bit different reasons

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

dragon quest xi is the dadrock jrpg, there's almost nothing in it story or gameplay wise that wasn't codified 20+ years ago

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Looper posted:

Dragon Quest is an essentially fascist series that promotes that only a chosen few may be heroes due to an innate quality, as opposed to heroics being born of a person's choices.

Harsh, but true.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

i know the dragon quest series loves its cliches but the "chosen one via brand/pendant/other mysterious glowing emblem" thing always exasperates me

DQ8 was the only other game in the series i played and it was a little better about it, the protag started on his adventure mainly because he was the only yutz who didn't get petrified by a kingdom-spanning curse

yeah eight's chosen one stuff was only really in the post-game dungeon. its why he didnt get cursed and why he has a magic rat but you could just as easily say he just got lucky and have the entire plot of the game be the same

actually a really funny way of doing it would have been to have eight get cursed and say that it stole his voice.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Looper posted:

I'm extremely wary of rom hacks that advertise their difficulty but I'd be super interested to hear what you think. I've been playing the randomizer myself and having a fun time

I'll post more once I've played further but I wanted to let you know there's a Content Mode patch and a Normal Mode patch, with the former having all the features but being a much smaller bump in difficulty. So still harder but I mean, SMRPG was an incredibly simple game in the first place so even dying once would be a huge change.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Endorph posted:

yeah eight's chosen one stuff was only really in the post-game dungeon. its why he didnt get cursed and why he has a magic rat but you could just as easily say he just got lucky and have the entire plot of the game be the same

actually a really funny way of doing it would have been to have eight get cursed and say that it stole his voice.

DQ8's story made it very clear that the hero was unique special. It's not just him being the sole person to resist the curse unleashed on Trodain but that he is completely immune to curses, period. Curse effects in combat had a 100% fail rate and gave a special message about the hero being unaffected, iirc.

The post-game just spells it out.

Looper posted:

Sylvando isn't. Rab and Jade aren't, they'd have joined you no matter what for obvious reasons. The others? Yeah sure.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 15, 2019

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Just started playing Atelier Rorona, which I'm informed is one of the bad ones. Wish me luck!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Seyser Koze posted:

Just started playing Atelier Rorona, which I'm informed is one of the bad ones. Wish me luck!

it's not, unless you're playing the original rorona for PS3. If your version has "Plus" or "DX" in the title it's a good game

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

cheetah7071 posted:

it's not, unless you're playing the original rorona for PS3. If your version has "Plus" or "DX" in the title it's a good game

it's the original rorona for ps3

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Atelier Rorona Plus/DX is a solid 9/10 game imo

e: please tell me what's bad about it because I only know it from reputation, I've only played DX

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

cheetah7071 posted:

Atelier Rorona Plus/DX is a solid 9/10 game imo

e: please tell me what's bad about it because I only know it from reputation, I've only played DX

Ayesha is the only other one I've played (I just found the Arland trilogy on sale, which is why I'm playing Rorona) but from glancing at the trophy guide, it looks like you can lock yourself out of the game's good/bad/meh endings by doing too well or poorly too early, and that some character-specific endings require you to be on a specific good/bad route. That sounds like something the DX version would've fixed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

DQ8's story made it very clear that the hero was unique special. It's not just him being the sole person to resist the curse unleashed on Trodain but that he is completely immune to curses, period. Curse effects in combat had a 100% fail rate and gave a special message about the hero being unaffected, iirc.

The post-game just spells it out.

yea but its not something the characters really constantly reference, they seem pretty unaware of it. dq11 references it constantly every single time the camera pans to the mc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It didn't seem that bad to me in DQ11 but I'm also used to modern WRPGs where your character being THE (X) and having some sort of glowing special chosen one symbol is basically assured.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It at least does some interesting things with the idea in the later parts of the game, though it does start pretty straightforward.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The chosen one bit in DQ11 is just bad and feels like it gets left in the series to support the fact the hero cant talk thus they cant make an argument for why people should join them.

babypolis posted:

as for the pacing yeah thats kind of a series staple. the plot does kick into high year in a very interesting way at the end of act 1 tho

Im in act 3 now and Id say it actually gets worse.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 15, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There really isn’t anything interesting you can do with a chosen one storylines outside like straight up subversion .

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CharlestheHammer posted:

There really isn’t anything interesting you can do with a chosen one storylines outside like straight up subversion .

-if you are not creative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

-if you are not creative

If your creative you aren’t using a chosen one storyline.