Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Servoret posted:

Me too.

I feel the same way. I'm not a film critic. I'm just evaluating how engrossed I was in what I watched.

You're allowed to watch good movies (he says to someone, as Spooktober massively tilts his distribution every year)

Question: what does the heart actually do if you slap it on during a review other than say "yes I did like it as this 5 star review also states"

weekly font fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

You're allowed to watch good movies

Question: what does the heart actually do if you slap it on during a review other than say "yes I did like it as this 5 star review also states"

You have a whole tab dedicated to things you Liked, including lists, reviews, and films.

edit: Yeah that's right, I liked Salo.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Franchescanado posted:

You have a whole tab dedicated to things you Liked, including lists, reviews, and films.

edit: Yeah that's right, I liked Salo.

As you should.

Thanks, for some I didn't realize the hearts for movies were lumped in there with hearts for reviews etc.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Alright since we're all sharing

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

weekly font posted:

You're allowed to watch good movies (he says to someone, as Spooktober massively tilts his distribution every year)

Hey sometimes I don't like a movie i gave a bunch of stars to. A well made movie doesn't mean I enjoyed it!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Is School of Rock a 5/5 movie? Nope. Am I going to watch it whenever it's on? Yeah.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
there is only chaos

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I, Butthole posted:

there is only chaos

Chaos reigns my non-bell curved friend.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Is School of Rock a 5/5 movie? Nope. Am I going to watch it whenever it's on? Yeah.

I'm not being paid to be an objective film critic so that sounds exactly like 5 star territory to me.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I gotta keep my recommendations game strong, objectivity must rule

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Numerical values are the tyranny of consumer culture. Death to all rating systems!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Can you make a list and let other users add to it?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Only through suggestions in the comments of the list.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Looking at everyone's ratings makes me feel like I rate too harshly. Or I watch a lot of bad to mediocre movies. Probably the latter.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Can anyone recommend some good accounts to follow? The 'People' tab is pretty much useless these days because it only surfaces users who are Twitter/Tumblr famous and post the usual "omg <actor> slay queen!! <character> threw the first brick at stonewall!!"-type posts that are of absolutely no merit to anyone. I'm looking for any kind of meaningful film writing, whether that be critical analysis or just personal essays in response to film. Even syndicated accounts (e.g. the one that posts Armond White's reviews) would be of interest to me.

Also,

Samuel Clemens posted:

Numerical values are the tyranny of consumer culture. Death to all rating systems!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Cat Machine posted:

Can anyone recommend some good accounts to follow? The 'People' tab is pretty much useless these days because it only surfaces users who are Twitter/Tumblr famous and post the usual "omg <actor> slay queen!! <character> threw the first brick at stonewall!!"-type posts that are of absolutely no merit to anyone. I'm looking for any kind of meaningful film writing, whether that be critical analysis or just personal essays in response to film. Even syndicated accounts (e.g. the one that posts Armond White's reviews) would be of interest to me.

Also,

Filmmaker Sean Baker (The Florida Project) is very active on Letterboxd.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Cat Machine posted:

Here's a handful I follow that tend to put some substance in their reviews.
belial_carboni (horror-focused)
kaijuman (lots of schlock, some higher-profile inclusions)
Michael Berger (my personal favorite reviewer on the site)
Turner Stewart (a low-budget Canadian film-maker)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Cat Machine posted:

Also,

Not Pauline Kael, which is literally just someone posting old reviews of Pauline Kael.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Since everyone else did it:

Why watch bad movies when you can watch good movies instead? But, also, most movies are average or above average but not incredible.

Follow me: https://letterboxd.com/Germeneutics/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always try to watch one utter stink bomb so when I add things to my yearly release lists, it's easy for me to spot which haven't been placed into order - because they're showing up under Show Dogs and the like. This years 'treat' is Airplane Mode. I've only managed to get through 10 minutes so far and it's already earned the 1/2* distinction. It stars Jake Paul and that's all anyone needs to know.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm gonna need to watch Foodfight! sometime soon.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I mainly treat the rating as a vibe check. Like, my immediate emotional reaction is what I go by, and that probably leads to a few movies being a star higher than I'd give them in retrospect.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Since everyone else did it:

Why watch bad movies when you can watch good movies instead? But, also, most movies are average or above average but not incredible.

Follow me: https://letterboxd.com/Germeneutics/

Very similar to my curve:

Also follow me y’all: https://boxd.it/C2P

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The Letterboxd logo on the site drips blood today, it's a nice touch.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I both found the film, and also have it in my collection (I haven’t seen it yet so didn’t use that knowledge).

Everything is Terrible Presents: The Great Satan

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I flagged about 50 films I really liked from the past decade and tried to whittle them down to 20. Unintentionally made a list of movies that I will either rewatch at any time, or that I need to go back and rewatch:

https://letterboxd.com/idiotbear/list/my-top-20-1-for-2010s-time-capsule/

Mine is probably a bit obvious so hit me with your end of decade picks

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I did one for just horror movies: https://letterboxd.com/daveski/list/the-30-best-horror-movies-of-the-2010s/

I'll probably do a best of the decade one at some point, although I feel less qualified because there are a bunch of major ones I haven't gotten around to seeing yet.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I signed up for Pro on Black Friday last year when it was on sale and would like to renew, but would want to wait for the sale again. Anyone know if I'm going to lose anything by letting the membership lapse for a week?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Nope, nothing's deleted on Letterboxd's end. You just lose access to it. When you re-up, your stats and all will still be there.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Thanks! I figured that would be the case but wanted to make sure.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno whether to laugh or groan at their pun here.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Homeybeef posted:

I signed up for Pro on Black Friday last year when it was on sale and would like to renew, but would want to wait for the sale again. Anyone know if I'm going to lose anything by letting the membership lapse for a week?

I’m in that same boat, waiting for the sale to renew.

I liked Pro, though, and it’s not *too* expensive, so if the sale doesn’t happen those bastards will probably get my 19 bucks.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Sale seems to be up, $12 for pro, $39 for Patron.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll probably do pro even tho I don’t really use any of the features. It’s a good site and the more people that give them money maybe it’ll move development at a speed faster than glacial ;)

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Pro is absolutely worth it just for being able to filter any list by your services

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I couldn't do without my stats page.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Drama time as some right wing people got banned and an Armond White fan account is mad online about it

https://letterboxd.com/notarmondwhite/film/intolerance-loves-struggle-throughout-the-ages/1/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My heart bleeds for them.

Also anyone gotten a bunch of new followers this week for no reason? I spot a new person every now and again but despite not being particularly active I’ve had about 10 or so in the last few days, all seemingly real. Odd.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If a social network went full unrepentant tankie and could get away with it it’s probably letterboxd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Well worth $12 for this valuable insight