Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I didn't realize Edi Patterson is in her mid-40s, which makes Judy even funnier.

Definitely. I edited my post to sorta touch on this. She acts so immature and perfectly nails it, even though she's been a grown rear end woman for quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Definitely. I edited my post to sorta touch on this. She acts so immature and perfectly nails it, even though she's been a grown rear end woman for quite a while.

Thats why the funniest line to me in the scene where she's yelling at John Goodman about how he treats her is when she says something like "Im not a little kid anymore daddy" and Goodmans reply is "I know you're almost 40"

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

She does sex now

Also lol her first “boyfriend”

Such a good show. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would, can’t wait for season 2

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm a full grown adult man, now!

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Judy and BJ are definitely my favorite pop culture couple right now.

I like that Eli is actually a good person, greed and flashiness aside. Also that the kids seem to want to be good people despite their shortcomings. I actually want good things for these characters. Couldn't say that for Gamby or Kenny or whatever Goggins's name was in VP, I forget.

That loving rave was hilarious, too.

Show's good.

E:

Fartington Butts posted:

I'm a full grown adult man, now!

I loved that! I love how weirdly stilted BJ is, and how he announces his character developments.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Eli actually being a good person is why I think a story line with a hurricane and them not opening their doors to people affected by it wouldn't work. I could easily see Jesse and Judy not wanting to let poor people live in their church, but I think they would have to have Eli be incapacitated for some reason first.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Eli ain't a good person he's a megachurch televangelist

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

PostNouveau posted:

That doesn't disqualify someone from being a good person.

Like real people, Eli is a complex character that makes mistakes but grows. He wants to be a good father but knows he has spoiled his children. He was antagonistic towards Johnny Seasons but realized he made a mistake and invited him to his business. It doesn't hurt that John Goodman plays him so well.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 15, 2019

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

PostNouveau posted:

I know what you're getting at, and I honestly expected them to go hard on calling out that type of person with satire, but I think they most definitely cut Eli some slack and made him a good person. I did specify that he was still greedy and excessive and stuff. Those are bad traits, and they also make him a hypocrite. I don't think that makes him a bad person, though.

Like, he even realizes when he's made mistakes and works to right them. Hell, even fuckin' Jesse has the maturity to do that, it seems, which is pretty rare for a McBride character in one of these types of shows.

Edit: ^^^ Yeah, that.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 15, 2019

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
lol suckers why don't you just mail in your tithe?

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
Everything about the Outback scene was perfect. From BJ walking in with that earring and the short shorts, the loving blooming onion, to the g'day at the end. Seriously Emmy material, I really don't know how you could do it better.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

That "first redeemed, second redeemed, third redeemed" reminded me SO much of me and my two sisters, except we were all younger than 10. Holy gently caress, did they ever perfect that 'grown children' dynamic. Same with when they were saying to each other what they're mom would say to them.

If any of you watching this show grew up without siblings, just know that, analingus discussion aside, it was exactly like that.

Such a great job. :discourse:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

We also know that he's more than willing to just bribe people to get Judy out of trouble which is why nothing came of the stalking/kidnapping thing from college.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think that Eli is "don't let people devastated by a natural disaster stay in his church", Joel Osteen level of lovely. Jesse would be, but I don't think Eli would be.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think that Eli is "don't let people devastated by a natural disaster stay in his church", Joel Osteen level of lovely. Jesse would be, but I don't think Eli would be.

Eli would be smart enough to know that the upfront costs would be outweighed by the PR gains of using the church for aiding evacuees.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

We also know that he's more than willing to just bribe people to get Judy out of trouble which is why nothing came of the stalking/kidnapping thing from college.

Pretty sure the truck was a gift from Eli to keep everything quiet and not really from Judy. She just can't help herself and is lying about how involved in it she was outside of the sexual assault and kidnapping.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I love how they paint Judy as a stunted development type but slowly reveal that she’s actually insane, and would be in jail if not for her family’s connections and wealth

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Eli is just doing what every parent nominally does and is looking out for and protecting his children. He;s just taking it waaaaaau too far to the point where his kids don't learn a loving thing. He's also slowing dissolving into a wreck due to the death of Aimee, and I can definitely see Baby Billy's grift/church start to grow enough to eat into the Gemstones.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PerilPastry posted:

Line of the episode: "Enjoy the rest of your Outback Steakhouse meal, Judy. G'day"

For a secondary character that dude is funny as poo poo. Also holy poo poo at this story

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

With how nicely everything wrapped up, I'm not sure what they can do next season. If there is one. I know McBride said he wants to do as many season as he can, but what's next?

i can see a few plot hooks

-jesse and gideon arguing in haiti, obviously
-what is up with that big dollywood rear end empty theme park
-the adventures of electric baby billy as he loses his taste for rural tent revivals
-pastor seasons butting heads with eli

some conjecture:

-kelvin starts to realize he might be gay (they could just leave this one alone for a long time though) or asexual which may be funnier
-pregnant out of wedlock judy
-amber decides to get a job and crushes it as an ice queen

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

I love how they paint Judy as a stunted development type but slowly reveal that she’s actually insane, and would be in jail if not for her family’s connections and wealth

i think it's because of her family connections and wealth that she's so nuts, she has uncapped anger and impulse problems that were definitely inflamed if not directly caused by bad parenting and her weird family dynamic

judy's birthday party should be an absolute holy poo poo moment for any parent but aimee-lee and eli are so busy with their ministry they don't really grasp how they are wrecking their children

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

luxury handset posted:

This is the one I can see happening the least (I don't know how to properly word that, sorry); the finale was very specific in that Eli made amends with him. True, it didn't show exactly the outcome, but I think by not showing it, we're meant to believe that he smoothed things over, or at the very least whole-heartedly apologized. If there was conflict there, I feel like they would have shown it. Like 'A potato through a man's window is a potato too far, and I can't abide that' sort of thing. I'm thinking that Seasons is an ally or at least not an enemy now.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is the one I can see happening the least (I don't know how to properly word that, sorry); the finale was very specific in that Eli made amends with him. True, it didn't show exactly the outcome, but I think by not showing it, we're meant to believe that he smoothed things over, or at the very least whole-heartedly apologized.

eli definitely felt bad about ejecting seasons from the preacher ring, and seasons is a good choice to fill the pastoral vacancy created by baby billy's departure

at the least, baby billy could try to return and gently caress with seasons to get his old job back after he gets tired of primitive revivals. which i can see happening quickly, though i imagine the writers have something more clever planned for baby billy

the conflict between seasons and eli is still unresolved. seasons is a humble and old school preacher, who doesn't want to be part of a megachurch. when jesse and his party goons are at season's house, we get clued in to his authenticity by the fact that he's in his workshop doing carpentry as his evening wind down. we don't really see eli meaningfully interacting with his flock like we do seasons participating in a church potluck. seasons would rather be leading a congregation than working at a hardware store, and eli very well could take seasons in as a lieutenant running a satellite church out of genuine remorse for destroying the man's livelihood, but there's a conflict of perspective there and an unstable power dynamic which won't hold

eli inherently has corporate ambitions to grow his church and its fiscal base, seasons is satisfied with quiet and modest ministry focused on devout praise. if eli gives seasons any sort of voice in the gemstone organization, seasons is going to find a very biblical way to criticize eli's greed

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 15, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
McBride has said he wants us to know the entire extended family by the end of this. So probably a lot more Gemstones and Freemans out there than who we’ve seen.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
aside from the obvious "judy's rape and kidnapping story" and "baby keefe in the crotchless gimp suit" bj trying to buck on the security guy and immediately folding was a good moment for me. those poor gemstone cops must get paid pretty well to deal with this bullshit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What was with the weird little kid at the party

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I look forward to seeing more Harmon Freeman, and will absolutely lose my poo poo if we don't get it. I'M TALKING FULL loving MELTDOWN GUYS.

That's a ninja star. With a booger on it.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was with the weird little kid at the party

That was Harmon, Baby Billy’s son who has not been mentioned since. He should reappear and he should be played by Steve Little imo.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

wizardofloneliness posted:

That was Harmon, Baby Billy’s son who has not been mentioned since. He should reappear and he should be played by Steve Little imo.

That seems not only like a good fit, but very likely.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

My one small (and man, we're talking miniscule) issue with the show is that Baby Billy is such a character that it doesn't let Walton Goggins do the real subtle crazy poo poo that he does with Boyd and Lee.

Edit: Right after I posted this I learned that he has his own damned whiskey!

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 15, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Agreed. Baby Billy owns but he's no Lee Russell imo. Not that he needs to be, but still...

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

PopetasticPerson posted:

Everything about the Outback scene was perfect. From BJ walking in with that earring and the short shorts, the loving blooming onion, to the g'day at the end. Seriously Emmy material, I really don't know how you could do it better.

This x100.

Then again, growing up in the deepest South, I feel like I knew the real life version of nearly everyone in this show. Swap out Outback with Lonestar Steakhouse, and I've seen awkward public encounters almost identical to that several times back home.

drat I loved this show.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's so good. Every time you're ready to pick the best character someone else says something funnier. Adam devine on the couch was a riot. Hell that whole scene was great

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Rewatching the episode my new favorite line is Judy replying to Jesse telling
Her the 15 boyfriends would also go down on her butthole with, “That’s Nice”. The way Edi delivered that line is priceless.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
It'd be an amazing gag if McBride just comes back in season 2 ripped from doing manual labor. Spend some of that bottomless HBO money on a personal trainer.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Suxpool posted:

It'd be an amazing gag if McBride just comes back in season 2 ripped from doing manual labor. Spend some of that bottomless HBO money on a personal trainer.

then he couldn't disguise himself as a regular man :ohdear:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Kawasaki Nun posted:

lol suckers why don't you just mail in your tithe?

This show is good because it cares more about being funny and entertaining than about being really angry about the fact that organized religion exists and making sure everyone knows you're angry about it and above all the sheeple, maybe you should try following its example.

luxury handset posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Flags_New_Orleans

In the flashback ep they talk about wanting to put up a roller coaster when they're surveying the land.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

luxury handset posted:

i can see a few plot hooks

-jesse and gideon arguing in haiti, obviously
-the adventures of electric baby billy as he loses his taste for rural tent revivals

some conjecture:

-kelvin starts to realize he might be gay (they could just leave this one alone for a long time though) or asexual which may be funnier
-pregnant out of wedlock judy
-amber decides to get a job and crushes it as an ice queen

Gideon could bring a girl back from Haiti, maybe a missionary, maybe a Haitian.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I could see Jesse afraid to get near her because he doesn't want to get AIDS.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
That finale was just amazing. They could just have that be the series finale for all I care. It's tough to top that.

Judy's "boyfriend" story was so good and unexpected. She just kept ramping up the insanity.

Edit: "what was your boyfriend's name? Queef?"

That had me in stitches.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I knew Baby Billy was going to be hit by lightning when he started waving that pitchfork but I was still surprised when it happened. This show is great because it can surprise you with stuff that you know is coming. Judy’s monologue of insanity was the same thing.