Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Burkion posted:

What the gently caress was with Japan and Mexico in the 90s

Japan is kinda super-racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Spiderdrake posted:

Beastformers are obsessed with shelfwarming. Put two beastformers in a case and they'll shelfwarm. Fact.

I mean, they just released like 4 MP BW guys and have a 5th on the way, not counting recolors.

And from what I can tell, the TR guys with beast modes sold well, I'd love to see them skip the actual beasts and move onto Transmetal.

TM2 can gently caress right off though. Except Ramulus, he was cool.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why does transmetal 1 Megatron not get any love? They(someone) did the other 2 versions and they're objectively worse

I mean you could always go buy an original one from Beast Wars, it's still a pretty

Oh right

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Rhyno posted:

No. The FP one is blech.

curses. i really like idw monstructor so i was hoping there'd be one. although i guess since we still don't have any jhiaxus at all, and only one bludgeon, monstructor would be some way down the list

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Anora posted:

And from what I can tell, the TR guys with beast modes sold well
No, those were the strongest shelfwarmers in the line and people constantly screeched about how they'd find wolfwire instead of An Actual Toy they wanted.

MPs are a niche of a niche. It would be generous to say they sell one hundredth what mainline stuff does, in terms of units sold. Also it appears that no beastformer MP has been brought stateside? Is this correct? I'm not sure I trust tfwiki on this one.

Investigating Hasbro Pulse for MPs has been...
...forked up

(although they are on there, so I guess they don't sell them in stores now?)

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 15, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

GD_American posted:

There’s a subculture in Japan that mimics Los Angeles Chicano culture. I think it’s kinda cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8bMLcCxxAA

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GD_American posted:

*Said while generalizing an entire nation* THEY'RE the racist ones.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Droyer posted:

ok

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hi have you met America?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Droyer posted:

Nobody can ever judge anything

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

every country has its problems etc but there is definitely a different attitude towards the acceptability of stereotypes in japanese cartoons, which can make for uncomfortable viewing.

edit: on a transformers related note, i really wish the smallest size guys in the current hasbro lines had elbow and knee articulation. it adds so much to these little fanshobby powermaster guys:

you just cant really psoe them at all without it

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 15, 2019

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

New studio series info leaked from walmart

DotM - Roadbuster
Bumblebee - Bumblebee (jeep)
Bumblebee - Shatter (jet mode)

They should go all the way with Roadbuster and license Dale Earnhardt Jr's likeness.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

edit: on a transformers related note, i really wish the smallest size guys in the current hasbro lines had elbow and knee articulation. it adds so much to these little fanshobby powermaster guys:

It’s really weird because they’ve done it before. Classics Cyclonus came with a targetmaster that had elbows. And the first MP Hot Rod came with a targetmaster than both elbows and knees.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There was a weird bit there where one targetmaster had knees, and the next had elbows, and then back to this lot.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

It’s really weird because they’ve done it before. Classics Cyclonus came with a targetmaster that had elbows. And the first MP Hot Rod came with a targetmaster than both elbows and knees.

its frustrating cause i like the little guys, and i really like the blast effects they come with, but my desire to collect em all is very limited when they are almost all effectively the same mold, and have such limited articulation. i get that they're cheap, but cmon man, they're standalone toys. give em some play value.

edit: what is even stranger is looking at blowpipe, he has a pinned waist hinge that he uses for transformation (it has no value as robot mode articulation) in order to bring his legs out of line with his torso so his feet can plug into the back. if they'd made the knees ball joints (like mp hot rod's targetmaster) they could have accomplished the same movement, added play value, and had a figure that didn't need any pins to assemble, for the price of molding 1 more part (2 lower legs vs 1 pelvis). it doesnt even seem like cheapness so much as poor design.

i like blowpipe, he looks great with triggerhappy, but i'm loathe to go on a battlemaster spending spree

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 15, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

To be fair, it's the racism of shallow exoticism rather than placing forth a superior/inferior worldview. I mean sure, the Japanese gundam wins the tournament, but it's not like the Russians were ever going to win in Mighty Ducks or Rocky IV. I feel like a good comparison is the 1956 movie of Around the World in 80 Days, which boils down to a travelogue in the days when tourism was expensive and most people knew very little about the rest of the world. The Dutch gundam uses a cowardly strategy to get into the final tournament, but the Neo-Netherlands aren't depicted as just cowards as a nation, they wind up all charging the final bad guy at the end. The Denmark gundam is a mermaid (as in Hans Christian Anderson's The Little Mermaid), the Canada gundam is a lumberjack, but has a cool little villain subplot. The Sweden gundam is a Sailor Moon thing and the German gundam is a ninja because they wanted to do those for other reasons.

But what's best is the football/boxing/surfing/cowboy American gundam piloted by Chibodee Crockett who also has a team of cheerleaders that used to be a New York street gang.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I'd be fine with just one or the other, just to make some kind of more interesting transformation. I think there's something weird about the type of plastic they're currently making the smallest guys out of, it's kind of waxy and soft. I wonder if maybe they physically can't do as much fine mechanical work as elbows or knees.

Maybe it's cheaper or maybe they're worried about children swallowing bits. Seems like there's gotta be some kind of reason for what they're doing.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'd be fine with just one or the other, just to make some kind of more interesting transformation. I think there's something weird about the type of plastic they're currently making the smallest guys out of, it's kind of waxy and soft. I wonder if maybe they physically can't do as much fine mechanical work as elbows or knees.

Maybe it's cheaper or maybe they're worried about children swallowing bits. Seems like there's gotta be some kind of reason for what they're doing.

im trying to figure it out. the arms and legs on the lil guys are already below 'child eating/choking' size. they just make such a strange comparison with all the other toys, which have pretty much best-ever levels of articulation. even the deluxe guys are getting stuff like ankle tilts now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hasbro Pulse should absolutely do a pack of blast effects.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

To be fair, it's the racism of shallow exoticism rather than placing forth a superior/inferior worldview. I mean sure, the Japanese gundam wins the tournament, but it's not like the Russians were ever going to win in Mighty Ducks or Rocky IV. I feel like a good comparison is the 1956 movie of Around the World in 80 Days, which boils down to a travelogue in the days when tourism was expensive and most people knew very little about the rest of the world. The Dutch gundam uses a cowardly strategy to get into the final tournament, but the Neo-Netherlands aren't depicted as just cowards as a nation, they wind up all charging the final bad guy at the end. The Denmark gundam is a mermaid (as in Hans Christian Anderson's The Little Mermaid), the Canada gundam is a lumberjack, but has a cool little villain subplot. The Sweden gundam is a Sailor Moon thing and the German gundam is a ninja because they wanted to do those for other reasons.

But what's best is the football/boxing/surfing/cowboy American gundam piloted by Chibodee Crockett who also has a team of cheerleaders that used to be a New York street gang.

Yeah I should make clear, when I call Chorada mildly racist I don't mean in a bad way.

He's just very heavily playing on stereotypes that Japanese culture has about Mexican hero archetypes. It's less Jim Crow, more Short Circuit.

The time when Japan gets Ugly Racist about stuff is usually reserved for Other Asian People or especially Other Japanese And Islanders.

Also obviously when people say Japan is Racist they mean in a generalized cultural kind of way. Not that every single Japanese person is racist.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve got 3 different black friends living in Japan, and they’ve all got stories about being randomly stopped by cops and having their passports/ID checked. Apparently they’re checking to see if they’re from African countries. Japan may not be overtly racist, but the police sure do profile.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve got 3 different black friends living in Japan, and they’ve all got stories about being randomly stopped by cops and having their passports/ID checked. Apparently they’re checking to see if they’re from African countries. Japan may not be overtly racist, but the police sure do profile.

I mean that's a universal truth

All Cops are Bad

except for RoboCop

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Burkion posted:

I mean that's a universal truth

All Cops are Bad

except for RoboCop

And Inspector Gadget, Andy Griffith, and C.O.P.S.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And the Rivers of London characters.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Amusingly Mighty Ducks 2 came along post-Cold War when the US were super best friends with the Russians so the 'evil' team was from... Iceland.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i finally got some batteries that fit in Quakeblast (cloud 9 shockwave), and his eye is so loving bright i cant photograph it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/104524

I kinda like how these kits look in general but wow this style doesn't work for devastator.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Droyer posted:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/104524

I kinda like how these kits look in general but wow this style doesn't work for devastator.

he looks like a generic mecha dressed up as devastator for halloween. they minimised his construction vehicle elements too much, and the proportions don't really say 'combiner'

edit: i just found out generation toy do an mp scale version of the don figueroa wstealth bomber megatron, that is very tempting. i love that version of megs.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 15, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I own that Megs. It is great.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

:emptyquote:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I own that Megs. It is great.

gcreation have renders of a version with slightly nicer legs but it seems to be kind of dead now? it was teased in 2017 and there's not been an update in years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GC started teasing their equally old Grimlock again so it may still happen. But I scored Megs for like $80 or something so I'm pleased.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

If I was talking about QuickStrike I wouldn't have called him Mexican or vaguely racist!

I'd also have called him a chimera because QuickStrike is awesome!

This dude is like the only one who is a pure snake transformer I think of the Beast Wars era

I had this one:

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Night_Viper#Toys

He was okay. Bad elbow action though.

The_Doctor posted:

Yes please.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1QQt4Pq3c4

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlothfulCobra posted:

Whatever it is, it doesn't really help when you compare the two recent versions of Aimless.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Which one of you was this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9-Sa21Inhw

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Goddamn it. I found an SS38 Optimus, at a record store, but the plates that his front wheels are mounted on are misassembled. He's got two right-hand ones, so he straight up can't transform.

Guess I'll try to return him tomorrow.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Edit: lol this is not the right thread for a dumb Disco Elysium reference sorry

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 16, 2019

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
So i'm still butthurt over missing out on the preorder for the HasLab Unicron but i'm wondering if it's going into full production, does that mean i'll be able to buy it from the Pulse store in 2020?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

ME GRIMLOCK WON'T HESITATE, BITCH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can't spell Grimlock without Glock