Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beethovens Fist Symphony
Oct 21, 2008
Oven Wrangler
41 rushes for 99 yards is some exquisite efficiency. No more, no less than what was needed to win. Excellent run establishment.

+1 San Francisco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm a homer but also the niners ran the ball 99 yards right into/around/through aaron donald, corey littleton, and all the other stars of the Rams' much vaunted defensive line and linebacker corps. Whereas the Ravens trashed 0-6 Cinci. Certainly they ran more runs and more yards and got a bigger score, but... isn't it easy mode against the bengals?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

well it seems to me the people who disagree that yards/ypc should be a distant third after attempts and ratio, should not even be allowed to vote at all. in fact yards should not even matter. I also should not be allowed to vote as a fan of the team in last place of establishing the run, and i shall not

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 15, 2019

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I’m gonna need some context to all those numbers. Like how hard did they have to work to establish the run, or was it just so easy to run from the start that the run was pre established by skill disparity?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
We need some first half run ratios to figure out who is really establishing the run instead of racking up the garbage time rush attempts

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Leperflesh posted:

I'm a homer but also the niners ran the ball 99 yards right into/around/through aaron donald, corey littleton, and all the other stars of the Rams' much vaunted defensive line and linebacker corps. Whereas the Ravens trashed 0-6 Cinci. Certainly they ran more runs and more yards and got a bigger score, but... isn't it easy mode against the bengals?

Strong argument. I vote Niners.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Vando posted:

We need some first half run ratios to figure out who is really establishing the run instead of racking up the garbage time rush attempts

We need a “rushing attempts while down” stat to augment the carry and ratio stats

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Not that Washington deserves happiness or success or recognition, but I have to grudgingly admire Bill Callahan’s week. He said he was going to change things up and run the dang ball, and then he did so, securing the team’s first win* Not a vote for the Racists, just pointing it out.

*against a team trying its hardest to lose, but still

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I vote for the team whose quarterback outran every running back this week. 19 attempts for 152 yards is unbelievable for the guy that's supposed to be passing. Real commitment to the run here.

+1 Baltimore

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Docjowles posted:

Not that Washington deserves happiness or success or recognition, but I have to grudgingly admire Bill Callahan’s week. He said he was going to change things up and run the dang ball, and then he did so, securing the team’s first win* Not a vote for the Racists, just pointing it out.

*against a team trying its hardest to lose, but still

Disqualified for racism.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hizawk posted:

Disqualified for racism.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I vote for the team whose quarterback outran every running back this week. 19 attempts for 152 yards is unbelievable for the guy that's supposed to be passing. Real commitment to the run here.

+1 Baltimore

Are these 19 planned runs, or 19 times they planned to pass but HAD to run.

Seems being forced to run because you were going to pass is negative points.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

deedee megadoodoo posted:

+1 Baltimore

I fully agree with this post.

Another vote for Baltimore.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Votes:

Baltimore 4 (Flikken, Shinji2015, deedee megadoodoo, ShadowedFlames)
San Francisco 6 (Hizawk, Beethovens Fist Symphony, Leperflesh, Vincent Van Goatse, Athanatos)

Will let it run through the day if anyone else wants to chime in.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I want to vote for Baltimore but I'm not really sure where I stand on QB rushes, especially ones that aren't designed runs but scrambles. Designed QB runs are legit (allows there to be more blockers which is rad) but a scramble is really like an incidental run and is thus worth a bit less.

I'll go niners

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Play posted:

I want to vote for Baltimore but I'm not really sure where I stand on QB rushes, especially ones that aren't designed runs but scrambles. Designed QB runs are legit (allows there to be more blockers which is rad) but a scramble is really like an incidental run and is thus worth a bit less.

I'll go niners

A scramble is haram.

It is the direct opposite of establishing the run.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A scramble is the game telling your team that they needed to have run instead of trying and failing to pass. In this respect, it is useful, because sometimes you need to be told repeatedly and harshly "run the drat ball, you fools."

The direct opposite of establishing the run is the successful forward pass. It is a trap, a luxurious and false temptation, a deceptive illusion, a mirage in the desert that leads you to your doom. The successful forward pass creates the delusion that the run wasn't needed, the run was the slow way, the hard way, the old way, the obsolete way.

What the temptation of the successful forward pass betrays is the inescapable fact that without the run, there can be no pass, for it is the establishment of the run that makes all offense possible. That is the essence of football.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Leperflesh posted:

A scramble is the game telling your team that they needed to have run instead of trying and failing to pass. In this respect, it is useful, because sometimes you need to be told repeatedly and harshly "run the drat ball, you fools."

The direct opposite of establishing the run is the successful forward pass. It is a trap, a luxurious and false temptation, a deceptive illusion, a mirage in the desert that leads you to your doom. The successful forward pass creates the delusion that the run wasn't needed, the run was the slow way, the hard way, the old way, the obsolete way.

What the temptation of the successful forward pass betrays is the inescapable fact that without the run, there can be no pass, for it is the establishment of the run that makes all offense possible. That is the essence of football.

Where do screens/pitches fall in this category?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The NFL statisticians categorize backwards passes and screens as runs. Essentially they are runs in which the player receiving the snap was not near enough to the player designed to run the ball to give them the ball directly - you could say they're a sort of aerial handoff.

There are also impromptu pitches, such as occurs occasionally on the final play of a game in which a team desperately tries to keep a play alive. I submit that these are also categorically runs, albeit with an aerial component.

For those who might disagree, consider: with this type of run, the ball being tossed in the air is not gaining the team yards and in fact, to avoid accidentally being a pass, typically loses the team some yards. The team is gambling a few yards away, against the potential for them to run the drat ball enough to make up for those lost yards. That is the same thing that happens with the classical run, in which the runner could be tackled behind the LOS for a loss. Compare to the forward pass, in which the incomplete pass does not lose the team any yards (and also stops the clock). The forward pass is the safety blanket cheap easy mode; the run is the tough, serious, hard mode of football, in which you must start from behind and then press forward well enough to wind up ahead.

There is a fuzzy area here: screen passes that are technically forward passes, but where the receiver catches the ball behind the LOS. These are catalogued as passes, but they carry the same risk as the run: the receiver, tackled on the spot, will have lost the team yards - the play is only counted as successful if the receiver advances by running the drat ball. Does that mean the forward-pass-behind-the-LOS screen is a Run and therefore Good? I'm not sure, I think it's open for debate.

Perhaps one factor against it is that the team cannot allow its linemen to block for such a screen pass, since they must remain behind the LOS to avoid an ineligible man down field penalty. On the other hand, having your wide receivers run block is cool and good...

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 16, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

hierarchy from best to worst:

4th down run
Fullback run
3rd down run
Gap/Power run
Zone run
Pitch of any kind so long as its backwards
Designed quarterback run
Option run (wishbone or otherwise)
Sweeps (hand off)
Screen pass
Sweeps (forward pitch)
Underneath forward pitch
Quarterback scramble
[...]
Pass
Flea flicker (unconscionable deception)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Going with the Niners this week, swayed by the 'actually good opposition' and 'committed to the run while result was still in doubt' metrics

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Play posted:

4th down run
Fullback run
3rd down run
Gap/Power run
Zone run
Designed quarterback run
Sweeps (hand off)
Screen pass
Sweeps (forward pitch)
Underneath forward pitch
Quarterback scramble
[...]
Pass

Half back option pass is actually the worst play. The runner is supposed to run and instead chooses to throw? Tragedy

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All of you are wrong, a field goal is the final abandonment of the run. It is betraying the part of the body made for running and forcing it to pass the ball. Sins and blasphemies, blasphemies and sins

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
We have established that QB scrambles are bad and should not be rewarded with this weeks champion. We have also established that if the run is not working at all, and you keep running anyway, you win.

Week 1: The Minnesota Vikings - 46 Attempts for 265 yards, and a 3.80 Run/Pass Ratio
Week 2: The San Francisco 49ers - 42 Run Attempts for 259 yards, and a 1.62 Run/Pass Ratio
Week 3: The Minnesota Vikings - 38 Attempts for 211 yards, and a 1.81 Run/Pass Ratio
Week 4: The Philadelphia Eagles - 33 Attempts for 176 yards, and a 1.22 Run/Pass Ratio
Week 5: The Indianapolis Colts - 45 Attempts for 180 yards, and a 1.50 Run/Pass Ratio
Week 6: The San Francisco 49ers - 42 Run Attempts for 99 yards, and a 1.24 Run/Pass Ratio

Divisions:
NFC North: 2
NFC West: 2
NFC East: 1
AFC South: 1
Everyone Else: 0

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
It seems kind of shameful that the winning team this week ran a flea flicker.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We can build the correct model. We can establish establishing the run

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Play posted:

4th down run
Fullback run
3rd down run
Gap/Power run
Zone run
Designed quarterback run
Sweeps (hand off)
Screen pass
Sweeps (forward pitch)
Underneath forward pitch
Quarterback scramble
[...]
Pass

I don't understand why the option run is so low in the hierarchy

when you run the triple option, you are not only committing to establishing the run, you are committing so thoroughly that you are willing to have multiple ball carriers on a single play, despite numerous fumble risks in doing so

that should be worth extra points if anything

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Play posted:

4th down run
Fullback run
3rd down run
Gap/Power run
Zone run
Designed quarterback run
Sweeps (hand off)
Screen pass
Sweeps (forward pitch)
Underneath forward pitch
Quarterback scramble
[...]
Pass

FB dive isn’t #1, list invalid.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

It's called a RUNNING BACK for a reason.

A RB running behind a beautiful, strong, stocky, sonofagun fullback is the way the game was intended to be played.

As Spike famously said, POWER I.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Where does the RB draw fit in? Is momentarily faking a pass deceptive hubris, or is it a Tantalus-like punishment for those who would throw the ball (and also the defense)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

fartknocker posted:

FB dive isn’t #1, list invalid.

A fullback dive on 4th down is the holiest run as you can see, but yeah there are two schools of thinking there about whether the down or the personnel should be the determining factor. Both are acceptable so long as the order is correct

PupsOfWar posted:

I don't understand why the option run is so low in the hierarchy

when you run the triple option, you are not only committing to establishing the run, you are committing so thoroughly that you are willing to have multiple ball carriers on a single play, despite numerous fumble risks in doing so

that should be worth extra points if anything

The ball travels through the air on a lot of those plays. Even if it goes backwards it's still highly suspicious

mastershakeman posted:

Half back option pass is actually the worst play. The runner is supposed to run and instead chooses to throw? Tragedy

You are entirely correct. I will amend our promotional materials

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Athanatos posted:

We have established that QB scrambles are bad and should not be rewarded with this weeks champion. We have also established that if the run is not working at all, and you keep running anyway, you win.

Just to be clear, I think the niners' YPC went way down in the 4th quarter when their aim was to run down the clock more than to try and score. There were a bunch of up the gut for 0 yard plays in their last three drives.

You could say that if the run has been working and you are winning the game with the run, keep running to keep being the winner?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Quarterback sneaks make me cry. They're like the scene at the end of the Hidden Fortress where the bad guy switches sides.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The only honest play is a direct snap to a fullback or nose tackle.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Wrong thread

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Leperflesh posted:

Just to be clear, I think the niners' YPC went way down in the 4th quarter when their aim was to run down the clock more than to try and score. There were a bunch of up the gut for 0 yard plays in their last three drives.

You could say that if the run has been working and you are winning the game with the run, keep running to keep being the winner?

Are QB kneels in the Victory formation counted as negative rushing yards?

If an offense has established the run to where the opponent is down by 9 points with a minute thirty to go and no time outs and the offense is in that tight standing V, they should not be punished for negative yardage.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 18, 2019

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Play posted:

4th down run
Fullback run
3rd down run
Gap/Power run
Zone run

I would posit that the typical fullback run these days, when he's in front of the running back and gets a surprise quick handoff, involves trickery that lessens its standing in the hierarchy. Lining up in I and ramming it down the D's throat even as they know it's coming is more worthy.

Basically this

Hizawk posted:

It's called a RUNNING BACK for a reason.

A RB running behind a beautiful, strong, stocky, sonofagun fullback is the way the game was intended to be played.

As Spike famously said, POWER I.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

The only honest play is a direct snap to a fullback or nose tackle.

Can we switch to back yard flag football rules where the "QB" snaps the ball to himself? A big fat center just picking up the ball and lumbering forward for 1 yard, pushed from behind by the QB and running backs, might be the purest possible manifestation of The Run.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Has the thread discussed the topic of those little jet sweep actions that are only technically a pass? Obviously since the ball does travel forward they are haram, but as far as passes go, certainly they must rank near screen passes for being the least evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The ball probably travels less than a yard in the air. To me, it’s a pass in name only. It’s functionally a run and using a receiver to boot.

Now what if you could time it so the qb never gets the ball. Just snap it directly to the runner as he cuts in front of the QB. That’s a good run.