Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah, this all the way.

Maybe wear shoes tho.

Watch out for snakes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK do you want
1. "Plants in General: Spring better be loving magical"
2. "Plants in General: I spent a shameful amount"
3. "Plants in General: I spent a shameful amount on bulbs"
4. I test the max length of thread titles with the whole dang lot

(personally I like #1)

"Spring better be loving magical"

Then in February: "I spent"
March: "I spent a shameful amount"
April: "I spent a shameful amount on bulbs"

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008
This is amazing. You guys gave me some very good suggestions. Thank you very much!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A strong wind knocked over my potted fig, which lost a small branch. I stuck the branch in a cup of water, which is what I do for any prematurely severed leaf or shoot (hence my three baby Christmas cacti). It lost its leaves and sat there with its hard green tip, essentially neglected, for a few weeks.

Yesterday I noticed it had roots...and leaves. :stare: I put it in a fresh, nicer jar of water for now; does anyone know if I can just tuck it into a pot of soil + Osmocote and get anything significant, or is this its last desperate hurrah?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Hirayuki posted:

A strong wind knocked over my potted fig, which lost a small branch. I stuck the branch in a cup of water, which is what I do for any prematurely severed leaf or shoot (hence my three baby Christmas cacti). It lost its leaves and sat there with its hard green tip, essentially neglected, for a few weeks.

Yesterday I noticed it had roots...and leaves. :stare: I put it in a fresh, nicer jar of water for now; does anyone know if I can just tuck it into a pot of soil + Osmocote and get anything significant, or is this its last desperate hurrah?

You've basically done water propagation, once the root tissue looks significant you can move it over to some moist soil

I've heard that the root structure is somewhat different and needs to be eased into being in soil

I've always used very moist soil and walked it back to a more regular water schedule over a week or two but that's just me

https://cleverbloom.com/root-plant-cuttings-water/

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have found that the roots on cuttings rooted in water are very delicate and need to be handled carefully. Once you move it to soil, I’d give it a while before you added fertilizer. Let it spend a good while getting comfortable and growing roots before you start pushing top growth. Figs are pretty tough and easy to root usually, so it’ll probably be fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When pot or repot small plants, I submerge the pot so the soil is floating around freely, tease the roots into it, and let the soil solidify around the roots as I pull the pot out of the water.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for the tips. I've water-propagated just about every plant in my house--even got roots on a torn-off piece of tomato plant--but I've never even had the opportunity to do so with a woody branch (or thought it possible). Another fun experiment in the making!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pictured: a shameful amount spent on bulbs. (Not mine.)

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
There are no words. Just... the work. The cost. The result. Just... wow.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Mantees posted:

My garden is divided in 2 parts
- 110sqm on the back
- 300sqm on the front

So, about a tenth of an acre if I got the math right. (Typical Canadian metric schizophrenia - I think of distances in terms of metres and kilometres, but land area in acres.)

Good quality modern reel push mowers are awesome and do a good job of collecting grass, but they need to be kept sharp to work properly. If you get behind on your mowing and the grass gets too tall a reel mower will probably start choking, but as long as you mow regularly a reel mower should work well for that size of lawn. Compact for storage too.

For powered mowers my personal preference would be a battery mower. I already have too many small gasoline engines that I need to keep track of - my local small engine shop gets a lot of business in the spring from owners who forget to winterize their machines. Any battery operated tool should have two batteries - one on the tool and one on the charger.

Mantees posted:

with significant slopes.

That might complicate things a bit. If it's more than 20 degrees you're pretty much looking at a scythe and rake to keep it trim, or ripping out the grass and planting ground cover. If less than 20 degrees, can you safely mow across the slope with a power mower and keep yourself up slope of it while making turns? Much less risk of slipping on wet grass and poking your foot into a reel push mower.

The automowers look really cool. They're small and compact so they won't need much storage space in the off season. The Husqvarna is supposed to be good on slopes and uneven ground. (Can't find the YouTube comparison I watched last year that was actually useful - it's lost amongst the cruft now.) It should be possible to set up the guide wires to allow it to travel between your two plots. Husqvarna will have a virtual boundary system on offer next spring. Until then you'd need guide wires around plants you don't want mowed. The wires can either be buried in a trench or installed on top of the grass where they will eventually disappear into the turf.

I think all automowers are mulching mowers now. They chop the grass up into little bits and spit it back onto the lawn where it decomposes quickly back into the soil. Much healthier for the grass but the blades need to be kept sharp to work properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-504c97uHo

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone has some advice for buying seeds online? I'm looking for wild violets and none of the nurseries around me have any.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I purchased a Fiddle Leaf Fig from Home Depot about a month ago. It was small and ended up dying pretty quickly due to spider mites. I put a cutting in water and it quickly started to grow roots. In the past few days it even sprouted a new leaf!

I'm wondering whether now is a good time to pot this little guy - and if there are any tips out there for potting a FLF propagation. What size pot should I use? Also, I’m going on vacation for a week in 2 weeks, and I know that newly potted plants need special care and attention. Should I do it now or later?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

there wolf posted:

Anyone has some advice for buying seeds online? I'm looking for wild violets and none of the nurseries around me have any.

Look for weird hippy seed bank places with websites that look like they were designed in the 90s. You may need to mail them a cheque or something.

Don't buy from Amazon / AliExpress.

If you're in Canada, West Coast Seeds and Richters are more professional-scale outlets that have a good range of wild seed.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

there wolf posted:

I'm waiting for orders from Seedsavers and Park Seed (they're not late or anything) and they both had healthy selections on stuff that was fairly obscure.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
My issue is that the variety I want is practically a weed so no one really cultivates them much. I did find some at Sheffield's seed. Any reason not to jump on it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They seem reputable as far as I can tell.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

there wolf posted:

If you're looking for Viola odorata or tricolor, Strictly Medicinal Seeds has them. They carry some really unusual material and I've had good luck with them. I've ordered true wasabi, horehound, stoneroot, and a couple of uncommon aloes from them, and they all grew really well.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It was viola sororia, the most common of violets that people often avoid because they can take over. I want to replace my grass with a mix of violet and clover, and I figured I'd start with the easy one and maybe add some of the more interesting variants in later.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
I am moving my succulents for the winter but the new windowsill is half the length (maybe 18 in?) and maybe the width of my pinkie so I need help figuring out either shelves or a hanging system or... Help.

I originally thought I could buy some Dollar Tree bottles and cut some foam core to go across the top and make shelves, but the sill is too narrow and it would be too wobbly anyway.

I thought maybe an over the door wire rack I could hang from a curtain rod but the racks are too heavy for the one flimsy rod I have. The window is behind my craft desk and I can't move the desk to access the ceiling. In fact, it's hard to reach the window itself.

Any ideas?

eta: here's my precioussss

That70sHeidi fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 10, 2019

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Have you considered a table?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Since they all seem to fit in the photo, it looks like that must be the sill where they are now. Is that correct? If so, can you show us the destination windowsill?

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Saw a monarch lay some eggs a few weeks ago and we were wondering if any of them would hatch, so we are really excited that our big rear end milkweed has a tenant . Plenty of leaves for them to eat. The milkweed has sprouted alot of seed pods, so we will plant alot more in the backyard as a result.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
Please excuse the three projcts dumped on the table, this is the window:

And this is the curtain rod holding the sheer curtain:

And this is the narrow sill, which I thought would show better but ah well. The aqua cup is the same as the one with plants, it overhangs the edge a little.

God the new Imgur has an awful interface.

Anyway, there are three cups that need broken out into six cups as they've over grown, and I want to cut down the overly leggy plants and repot some leaves from them as well, so I'm looking at about a dozen cups to fit in this space, somehow.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Why don’t you just buy a piece of wood sufficiently wide for the plants and drill it into the window sill?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

That70sHeidi posted:

Please excuse the three projcts dumped on the table, this is the window:

And this is the curtain rod holding the sheer curtain:

And this is the narrow sill, which I thought would show better but ah well. The aqua cup is the same as the one with plants, it overhangs the edge a little.

God the new Imgur has an awful interface.

Anyway, there are three cups that need broken out into six cups as they've over grown, and I want to cut down the overly leggy plants and repot some leaves from them as well, so I'm looking at about a dozen cups to fit in this space, somehow.

Thanks for the photos - that makes it much easier to see the spatial relationships. One thing that I'm pretty sure won't work is to hang anything from the curtain rod - the brackets that hold those to the wall aren't strong enough to handle the weight of a bunch of plants in pots.

Fomecore also won't be strong enough to support the plants unless you laminate several layers of it. Wood or plywood would be a much better bet. Big box hardware places often have a scrap bin for the bits and pieces that get cut off of other people's projects, and I'd think you could find an 18 inch length of board there pretty cheaply/easily.

Drilling to install a wider piece of wood on the sill as Paris suggests would be a good, straightforward solution if making holes in the sill is acceptable (may not be, if you are renting), but if that sill is marble like the other one you showed, then drilling would be trickier. But you could stack some bricks (or glass or wooden blocks from the craft store) on your craft table below each end of the windowsill, and use those to support the wider piece of wood for the plants. That'd be pretty secure and reversible.

If you want multiple shelves, the best bet might be something like a set of wire shelves like this one that you could put on your table in front of the window. (You could anchor it to the wall for more stability). They come in lots of sizes, so if you wanted to, you could get one wider than the window and use the extra space to store some of your craft supplies to either side of the plants. They're usually pictured with wheels, but the wheels come as separate casters and you don't have to install them.

Just some thoughts! I'd be interested to see what you end up going with.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Missus planted some broccolini to feed us the caterpillars

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Jestery posted:

aaaaagh!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Jestery posted:

Hopefully you squashed them, because eight hours have passed since you posted and the plants are gone otherwise.

Seriously, I have never seen so many of those fuckers in one place at the same time. I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Smh at pests. I’m currently on a warpath with the deer. They hosed up several of my newly acquired plants and so now my backyard smells like rotting flesh enema from the anti deer spray I soaked everything in. I think everything should live or at least sucker new growth if nothing else happens but the bald cypress was totally hosed with and lost much bark :(

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
In good news however I managed to finally get a specimen I have coveted for a long time: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklinia

extinct in the wild, extremely rare and hard to find potted even at high end nurseries. Has incredible fall color, very cool flowers, and interesting growth habit.

Local nursery was going out of business and when I asked about whether they had a hookup to find any, dude went into the back and brought out two 2-3 year saplings for me in little quart pots, no charge (probably didn’t hurt that I’ve dropped like 200 bucks total on other poo poo). I was elated

Now, gotta try to figure out how to keep these fuckers alive. Repotted into gallons with high end potting soil, but they need hyper specific conditions to flourish in ground. Pretty sure they went extinct for a reason, but Super hoping that I can pull this off once I get soil tested where I think at least one will go

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

In good news however I managed to finally get a specimen I have coveted for a long time: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklinia

extinct in the wild, extremely rare and hard to find potted even at high end nurseries. Has incredible fall color, very cool flowers, and interesting growth habit.

Local nursery was going out of business and when I asked about whether they had a hookup to find any, dude went into the back and brought out two 2-3 year saplings for me in little quart pots, no charge (probably didn’t hurt that I’ve dropped like 200 bucks total on other poo poo). I was elated

Now, gotta try to figure out how to keep these fuckers alive. Repotted into gallons with high end potting soil, but they need hyper specific conditions to flourish in ground. Pretty sure they went extinct for a reason, but Super hoping that I can pull this off once I get soil tested where I think at least one will go
That’s exciting! I’ve never grown (or seen!) Franklinia, but some friends have a closely related Gordonia and it is finicky with reasonably demanding requirements as well. What’s your native soil like/what area are you in? I think the natural habitat of both Gordonia and Franklinia is on slight slopes just above the flood plain-plenty of water, but no standing water. They probably don’t like wet feet and need very well drained soil, but also aren’t very drought tolerant. I would think it would like fairly acidic, sandy soil like is common to river bottoms in the southeast. If you’re in the hot, Deep South, it would probably appreciate some high part/dappled shade especially while it’s getting established. Most of those small bottomland evergreeens are really understory trees and prefer some protection from the blazing sun.

And yeah, gently caress deer and beavers. Nothing like planting some nice cypresses along a pond and coming back the next morning to find a dozen perfectly clipped off trunks. Or trying to plant mast trees for the deer to eat the acorns from in 20 years and having the deer just eat every leaf off of them. I AM TRYING TO HELP YOU!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jestery posted:

Bt. This is exactly what Bt is best for.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That’s exciting! I’ve never grown (or seen!) Franklinia, but some friends have a closely related Gordonia and it is finicky with reasonably demanding requirements as well. What’s your native soil like/what area are you in? I think the natural habitat of both Gordonia and Franklinia is on slight slopes just above the flood plain-plenty of water, but no standing water. They probably don’t like wet feet and need very well drained soil, but also aren’t very drought tolerant. I would think it would like fairly acidic, sandy soil like is common to river bottoms in the southeast. If you’re in the hot, Deep South, it would probably appreciate some high part/dappled shade especially while it’s getting established. Most of those small bottomland evergreeens are really understory trees and prefer some protection from the blazing sun.

And yeah, gently caress deer and beavers. Nothing like planting some nice cypresses along a pond and coming back the next morning to find a dozen perfectly clipped off trunks. Or trying to plant mast trees for the deer to eat the acorns from in 20 years and having the deer just eat every leaf off of them. I AM TRYING TO HELP YOU!

My canned response to the widespread problem of burgeoning deer populations is "spawn more wolves".

Unfortunately that's not a popular option in most suburban areas. It is the correct solution, though.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:laugh: I feel you, apparently the rabbits can just squeeze through the gate I built into my garden. I thought 2" would be small enough haaaahaha I'm so stupid

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Bt. This is exactly what Bt is best for.

My canned response to the widespread problem of burgeoning deer populations is "spawn more wolves".

Unfortunately that's not a popular option in most suburban areas. It is the correct solution, though.

Coyotes do an okay job on fawns (but unfortunately a much better job on turkey poults), Cronic Wasting Disease is only a state or two away and might pick up the slack? Convincing hunters to shoot more does too instead of just waiting around for that big trophy buck would help too.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I let my dog chase the deer away from my garden every time they come around. They've settled for the apple tree across the yard and I just compost their poo poo because it makes me feel better.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah I’m in piedmont of N.C. so completely red clay for most of the yard if you dig more than a couple inches lol. I have to heavily soil condition everything I put into the ground to give it a fighting chance.

The property descends into an often dry creek in the back but it’s like deep dark woods in there. It’s also like Way too far to reach with my hose just in case of a drought. I think my current plan is to dig a giant, deep loving hole in a good spot and fill it in with better soil so that it drains more efficiently. Maybe keep the other in a pot for the time being. The Franklinia is deciduous unlike the gordonia so it can handle some serious light but I’m looking for a spot that still gives decent shade during hottest part of day. Idk, this thing seems ADVANCED lmao, people on YouTube talking poo poo like “it made it! thank god we have nearby underground stream” @__@

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Oil of Paris posted:

I think my current plan is to dig a giant, deep loving hole in a good spot and fill it in with better soil so that it drains more efficiently.

I think if you do that, you’ll end up with a pond.

You need to build a mound and/or install a drain to take the water to someplace lower.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah dig a big WIDE hole and then add enough stuff (compost, ground pine bark, maybe some sand, whatever) to your native dirt to make it a bit of a mound and that's prolly your best bet. Let it settle and rot for a few months or maybe a year before you plant. Definitely plant it high like an azalea or camellia (Franklinia's actually in the camellia family!), not low. The best time to dig holes for trees you want to plant in December is February. If you can make sort of a berm at the base of the mound to hold water that makes watering easier. If you have a hardpan down under that clay, make sure you dig through it so it can drain. Mulch the hell out of it with pine bark. I've had good luck working ground/rotted pine bark (my Lowe's sells it as 'Soil Conditioner') into clay, but starting with good bottomland dirt would obviously be easier/better.

It's amazing how much better my bottomland swamp yard looks with half the effort vs a friend that lives in sandy clay a few miles away. poo poo just wants to grow here and he has to make it grow there, but it's worth making things grow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Four fruit trees in the ground today, finger lime, two pomegranate and a yellow guava

I have to go on a solo mission to get more worm juice bc if the wife does it she’ll come back with a couple trays of seedlings and we still haven’t got all the ones she bought from our last trip planted yet

Bonus picture of the grey water garden looking real lush and green except the borage which has flowered and immediately started looking poo poo afterwards