Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Arcanum: lmao you can wear four rings now, you could only wear three like two days ago

I choose to believe that the technical debt is actually just the dev adding support for more rings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I've always been able to wear 4 rings, a collar and 2 pendants.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So holy poo poo, I somehow triggered a bug that lets me buy unlimited unholy candles and now every dungeon is just a matter of mapping the highest-damage shadow spell I have to like 5 hotkeys and hammering them.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Before fires were capped you could put hundreds in your house and become fire lord for dungeons. Glad to see that sort of style returned even in a buggy way.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Also no, the technical debt is that literally everything is passed by value with no way of keeping track of what anything should be. For example if you cast a buff it raises your stat then puts a timer to remove the stat. But if you load a save while a buff is active the buff gets reapplied to your already buffed stat and only the reapplied buff gets removed. And there's no way to find out what your stats were supposed to be.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

dis astranagant posted:

Also no, the technical debt is that literally everything is passed by value with no way of keeping track of what anything should be. For example if you cast a buff it raises your stat then puts a timer to remove the stat. But if you load a save while a buff is active the buff gets reapplied to your already buffed stat and only the reapplied buff gets removed. And there's no way to find out what your stats were supposed to be.

I had an issue like that happen with enchanting - I put an enchant on an item and, mid-cast, equipped it to myself (I didn't realize that there was a cast time involved) and now I permanently just have one less max mana.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

dis astranagant posted:

Arcanum has officially collapsed under the weight of technical debt and is being rewritten. :rip:

Lmao what a ride

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Finally, a fantasy game that lets me roleplay as a murderhobo

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

There's a really cool bug where enchanting Hestia's Charm with life pool adds 4 life to each instance of Hestia's Charm. There's no limit to the number of charms you can get from Hestia's Cottage, and no limit to the number of enchants on each charm. With three of them that means each Blood Gem converts to 12 life. :orks101:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dis astranagant posted:

I've always been able to wear 4 rings, a collar and 2 pendants.
oh poo poo the neck is collar + 2 pendants I was wondering why it was sometimes 2 and sometimes 3

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Phssthpok posted:

There's a really cool bug where enchanting Hestia's Charm with life pool adds 4 life to each instance of Hestia's Charm. There's no limit to the number of charms you can get from Hestia's Cottage, and no limit to the number of enchants on each charm. With three of them that means each Blood Gem converts to 12 life. :orks101:
has the dev made them equippable again?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I quit Arcanum a week ago when the buggyness became too much to deal with, not surprising that he needs to rebuild everything from scratch. Awesome game and concept, definitely needs things like 'bug testing' and a 'roadmap' and a 'changelog'.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it was definitely an early sign when he posted to the game's reddit that he was too busy coding to make a roadmap.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Ghostlight posted:

it was definitely an early sign when he posted to the game's reddit that he was too busy coding to make a roadmap.

Honestly better for them to learn this lesson on a free idle game than something more important.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
It was rather fun to mess around with the save game in Arcanum. I gave myself 100 extra actions from Chronomancy for awhile. And 10,000 levels of void lore.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Arcanum felt like it was being developed by an actual wizard for a while and that was really good

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Samuringa posted:

Arcanum felt like it was being developed by an actual wizard for a while and that was really good

Arcanum is the bones of a really loving good game. It just needs a prestige system (you already get an apprentice so just become that guy, right?), More reasons to adventure, more content for every skill and a reason to scale all of them up.

Hopefully it doesn't go up in smoke during this technical rewrite because I really like the game. What's there anyway.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Somethingggg, will the steam art be ported to the armorgames version?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

terrenblade posted:

Somethingggg, will the steam art be ported to the armorgames version?

Armor games was dropped months ago. The art has been part of the kong/ kart version for awhile

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I just finished maxing the V3 Exile drops and I'm sort of at a loss as to how I'm going to make the push to V4. There aren't really any major sources of adventure stats left. Is it just gonna be months of grinding hacks, NGU and advanced training?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Zokari posted:

I just finished maxing the V3 Exile drops and I'm sort of at a loss as to how I'm going to make the push to V4. There aren't really any major sources of adventure stats left. Is it just gonna be months of grinding hacks, NGU and advanced training?

I just got my stats high enough to manually kill v4 and moved on to sadistic. It took about a week of no rebirths.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Depending how how deep he had to run to autokill V3, the gap to V4 even manually can be pretty huge.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.

Omi no Kami posted:

So holy poo poo, I somehow triggered a bug that lets me buy unlimited unholy candles and now every dungeon is just a matter of mapping the highest-damage shadow spell I have to like 5 hotkeys and hammering them.

Crap. That’s a bug? I now have like 800 shadow and I regen like 20 a second. I burned like 50,000 gold on it so I thought it was just an endgame thing

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Zokari posted:

Im in the same boat and am not sure i can be bothered to continue.

Have been autokilling Exile v3 for a couple of weeks, a couple of day before the Steam launch at least.
Since then i have gained about 1e24 more attack per day, and 750e24 is needed to kill Exile v4. I realise it probably scales up with time (?) but it still looks like it will be months before i can kill v4. I kill boss 301 on every rebirth. The only source of adventure stats left is the PP that costs 10k per, and i have half of that already.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
You only need about 1/3rd of that for a manual kill, so it's not quite as bad as it initially looks.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

ashnjack posted:

Crap. That’s a bug? I now have like 800 shadow and I regen like 20 a second. I burned like 50,000 gold on it so I thought it was just an endgame thing

I think so, because a few updates ago it stopped letting me buy new candles. I think fireplaces are still unlimited though, so you could always just grind your fire up high enough that no amount of spamming pyromancy will overcome your regen rate.

Meanwhile I finished everything except for the catacrypts, which I gave up on when he pushed a new update that made you unable to eat children and rest while running a dungeon. I'll be really interested to see what he comes up with after thoroughly planning out and re-implementing this thing.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Omi no Kami posted:

I think so, because a few updates ago it stopped letting me buy new candles. I think fireplaces are still unlimited though, so you could always just grind your fire up high enough that no amount of spamming pyromancy will overcome your regen rate.

Meanwhile I finished everything except for the catacrypts, which I gave up on when he pushed a new update that made you unable to eat children and rest while running a dungeon. I'll be really interested to see what he comes up with after thoroughly planning out and re-implementing this thing.

I must have finished it just before he pushed that update. You get fuckall from finishing it, but I did manage to pick up some ebonwood wings. I'm kinda sad because I was enjoying trying to speedrun different classes to check out their exclusive stuff, but now that I've got all the halloween equipment I don't want to get it again.

Guess I'll tackle NGU again after a year :toot:

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Im in the same boat and am not sure i can be bothered to continue.

Have been autokilling Exile v3 for a couple of weeks, a couple of day before the Steam launch at least.
Since then i have gained about 1e24 more attack per day, and 750e24 is needed to kill Exile v4. I realise it probably scales up with time (?) but it still looks like it will be months before i can kill v4. I kill boss 301 on every rebirth. The only source of adventure stats left is the PP that costs 10k per, and i have half of that already.

The exile is going to have a feature added soon which will probably make it smoother

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

What's the minimum I need to kill v4 manually with all the fixings? Wiki says 350k power.

Should I just dump xp into adventure stats to reach it? Do I want to hit sadistic as soon as I get that first kill?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Gay Hitler posted:

What's the minimum I need to kill v4 manually with all the fixings? Wiki says 350k power.

Should I just dump xp into adventure stats to reach it? Do I want to hit sadistic as soon as I get that first kill?

I think it was lower than 350Sp power. I did it around 250ish? Before spending XP on adventure stats, make sure you've maxed (or are working on maxing) all of the adventure stat wishes, quirks, and perks. They help a bunch. I do think I dumped some XP in adventure stats, but not much.

Once I unlocked sadistic, I jumped right in. It's actually surprisingly fast to make progress up to boss 100 or so, so you'll have everything unlocked almost immediately. Everything slows way down, of course. Except for PP, which I found was significantly higher very quickly, especially with the sadistic quirks and perks. I'm getting around 12-13 PP/kill.

You will be miles away from the new sadistic adventure zones, though. Enemies in back to school have 600ish SP attack and West World is 2 Oc, so don't expect to be getting those items soon.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
FYI, Arcanum is on Kongregate only now, under a new name:
https://www.kongregate.com/games/lerpinglemur/theory-of-magic

(same game, no new content yet, but that's its new home now)

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
I've been playing a lot of Bitburner later, and mostly getting by using scripts copied from other people/guides. That said, does anyone have scripts that help automate more stuff in general? I've started doing BitNodes, but it's getting a bit tedious.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's actually a fair bit of new content but it's it's mostly half implemented and/or buried under obscure conditions. Also a lot of buggy looking equipment dropping, like iron belts and leather clubs.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

dis astranagant posted:

There's actually a fair bit of new content but it's it's mostly half implemented and/or buried under obscure conditions. Also a lot of buggy looking equipment dropping, like iron belts and leather clubs.

I was gonna Google for a leather club because I thought it would be funny and uh I did not find weapons

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wouldn't a leather club just be a blackjack?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dis astranagant posted:

the equipment is actually awesome - it looks like material type is a prefix indicating level and the actual item is just a suffix now, so you can get iron everything and squeeze a few more enchantments on it (mostly just armor, but you can get 2/3 mana from iron rings, etc)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

ugh. oh well, i beat the 10k catacrypts so there's nothing to do anyway until prestige options.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

mycelia posted:

I must have finished it just before he pushed that update. You get fuckall from finishing it, but I did manage to pick up some ebonwood wings. I'm kinda sad because I was enjoying trying to speedrun different classes to check out their exclusive stuff, but now that I've got all the halloween equipment I don't want to get it again.

If you want to speedrun different classes, here's a tier0 save with all the halloween stuff.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Phssthpok posted:

If you want to speedrun different classes, here's a tier0 save with all the halloween stuff.

You are a very cool person, thank you :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Anyone playing NGU Idle on Steam, make sure you fiddle with your download settings. By default, playing a game like NGU Idle will pause your Steam downloads. You can manually re-start them once it's running - and maybe change a per-game setting that lets downloads run while you play it?