Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/moonshinemaude/status/1181666279167541248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grand_danois
Jan 9, 2005
not a dog irl

christmas boots posted:

Didn’t it turn out that opioids actually don’t work all that well for chronic pain? And that Pfizer knew that but pushed doctors to prescribe it anyway?

Skwirl posted:

I don't think so,they're pretty much the only pain killer, everything else used as one treats conditions that cause pain, opioids make pain go away.

Opioids are good for acute, short-term pain management. But as christmas boots says, they're often not good for managing chronic pain. If you want to read more, look for opioids long-term efficacy on Google Scholar. It's pretty well-documented at this point.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

I don't think so,they're pretty much the only pain killer, everything else used as one treats conditions that cause pain, opioids make pain go away.

Not exactly. NSAIDS and acetaminophen will disrupt the body's ability to communicate pain to the brain. Opioids are just much, much better at it because they directly trigger receptors in the brain that control that whole process.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

grand_danois posted:

Opioids are good for acute, short-term pain management. But as christmas boots says, they're often not good for managing chronic pain. If you want to read more, look for opioids long-term efficacy on Google Scholar. It's pretty well-documented at this point.

Opoids are the class of drugs like benzos where long term use is almost certain to lead to addiction and a need for greater and greater doses and in the end are can be as bad as the problem they are supposed to treat.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jippa posted:

twitter.jpg

Not quite. To be properly twitter.jpg it should finish with '...and that's why I like Scorcese films!'

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/Bobnoxious80884/status/1183975192726519808

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At hospital, lost mumbet

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

T-man posted:

oh hun

More ontopically, this is a hosed up situation but take the loving car and use the money for your child, or at least toss it in a college fund.

Right? Whatever money the kid has put aside could go towards his newborn on the way. Take the drat car

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Avi, Australia's no-budget answer to Andy Ngo, between begging his few followers for money to pay for legal fees and beating his wife/GF, likes to make up absolutely ridiculous bullshit snorted readily by semi-literate rednecks and wannabe nazis.

If that's not good enough, his followers are something else...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Something 7 days of opiod treatment permanently changes the way that rats percieve pain, measurably lowering their pain tolerance; this is consistent with observed patterns humans (though obviously you can't measure things the same way in humans). Opiods are really good for short-term pain management, and they're really good for palliative pain management, and they're not great for anything in between.

For my own part I can't understand why people even enjoy them. When I had my wisdom teeth out I took 1 T3 and I felt so goddamn awful and useless on that poo poo that I just dealt with the pain for the rest of it. Guess my brain just isn't wired that way.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CommonShore posted:

For my own part I can't understand why people even enjoy them. When I had my wisdom teeth out I took 1 T3 and I felt so goddamn awful and useless on that poo poo that I just dealt with the pain for the rest of it. Guess my brain just isn't wired that way.

I had some kinda painkillers when I had my wisdom teeth removed--I was a little bit too far out of it thanks to having my wisdom teeth removed to know what those tablets were, but I know I didn't even need seven of them.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

CommonShore posted:

Something 7 days of opiod treatment permanently changes the way that rats percieve pain, measurably lowering their pain tolerance; this is consistent with observed patterns humans (though obviously you can't measure things the same way in humans). Opiods are really good for short-term pain management, and they're really good for palliative pain management, and they're not great for anything in between.

All opioids are not created equal. And dont affect people the same.

Vicodin just makes me nauseous and isnt more effective that ibuprofen.

Percocet on the other hand takes all my pain and makes me a floaty happy boi. 100% see why that could addict someone.

(Severed finger tendon surgery)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Bombadilillo posted:

(Severed finger tendon surgery)

How did that Super Nintendo detonation pan out for you?

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

A coworker fell and tore a muscle in his shoulder and as a result has been on oxycontin daily for 5 years now. At a party his sleeve caught fire from a candle and the fire gave him second degree burns without him even noticing it. His wife saw it first and put out the fire.

I don't know if he's addicted but probably.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Weatherman posted:

How did that Super Nintendo detonation pan out for you?

Middle finger so is just has to Cradle the bottom of the controller. So I'm good.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Avi, Australia's no-budget answer to Andy Ngo, between begging his few followers for money to pay for legal fees and beating his wife/GF, likes to make up absolutely ridiculous bullshit snorted readily by semi-literate rednecks and wannabe nazis.

"Antifa works with Muslims and Communists" is absolutely true, insofar as an idea can be said to be working with anyone, there are antifascists of all faiths

and lmao anyone who thinks communists being antifascist is in any way a revelation doesn't know anything about communism or fascism

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

It's always morbidly amusing when these grifting shitheads try "actually the left are the real racists" and immediately get disowned by their followers for acting like racism is a bad thing :v:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Imagine believing that all your neighbours have been replaced with agents hired to kill you. That's some schizophrenia-level paranoia.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All-powerful UN/EU globalist body that is capable of replacing all your neighbors with murder doppelgangers, and yet they are so inept that the best they can do over however long this process has taken—their most ingenious diabolical plan—is "tried to stab me"

:umberto:

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

RoboRodent posted:

Imagine believing that all your neighbours have been replaced with agents hired to kill you. That's some schizophrenia-level paranoia.

It is straight up a for real diagnosed psychiatric disorder to think your friends and loved ones have been replaced by strangers.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Data Graham posted:

All-powerful UN/EU globalist body that is capable of replacing all your neighbors with murder doppelgangers, and yet they are so inept that the best they can do over however long this process has taken—their most ingenious diabolical plan—is "tried to stab me"

:umberto:

Yeah why wouldn't they just set up an Air Loom?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

I felt gross on painkillers after using them for post wisdom teeth removal despite enjoying the effects otherwise so that could just be swallowing blood/generally feeling nauseous process major mouth surgery adds to the experience

Edit: this is not supposed to be taken as an opioid endirsement

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Oct 15, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I never got strong painkillers when I got my two impacted -buried inside my gums- wisdom teeth taken out :psyduck: Only the same poo poo I take for my menstrual cramps. What the gently caress?

Was that a case of "women are faking pain/have high tolerance to pain" medical bullshit?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Desperado Bones posted:

I never got strong painkillers when I got my two impacted -buried inside my gums- wisdom teeth taken out :psyduck: Only the same poo poo I take for my menstrual cramps. What the gently caress?

Was that a case of "women are faking pain/have high tolerance to pain" medical bullshit?

Possibly! I don’t know what Mexico is like when it comes to prescribing painkillers though. My mom literally gets hydrocodone for her migraines which wasn’t even a thing I knew opioids were given out for so it definitely varies from doctor to doctor

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Desperado Bones posted:

IDK, I had the same thing but I'm a dude, they had to take them out of the side of my jaw and only gave me Tylenol-3. It sucked. Also, I had it done on 12/23 as that was the only appointment available until like March. That whole Christmas sucked.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Possibly! I don’t know what Mexico is like when it comes to prescribing painkillers though. My mom literally gets hydrocodone for her migraines which wasn’t even a thing I knew opioids were given out for so it definitely varies from doctor to doctor

I think there isn't a big fuzz about it, I remember my aunt had no problems getting painkillers for my uncle (sadly he was too sick already so they weren't working anymore), although there was a published story in a magazine about this doctor not giving morphine to a cancer patient because they would "turn addicted to it". A dying patient who just wanted some small relief.

Overall some doctors are dumb assholes.

Edit:

Croatoan posted:

IDK, I had the same thing but I'm a dude, they had to take them out of the side of my jaw and only gave me Tylenol-3. It sucked. Also, I had it done on 12/23 as that was the only appointment available until like March. That whole Christmas sucked.

Overall some doctors are dumb assholes.

Desperado Bones has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Oct 15, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bombadilillo posted:

All opioids are not created equal. And dont affect people the same.

Good news:

quote:

An exciting new study, led by a team of Australian researchers, has discovered a unique fungus in Tasmania that produces novel molecules with similar activity to opioids. The research suggests this never-before-seen molecule could have similar analgesic properties to morphine but without its dangerous, respiration-suppressing, side effects.

Discovered around 16 years ago near a boat ramp in Tasmania’s Huon Valley, this previously unknown genus of Penicillium was found to produce several molecules that had never been seen before. These compounds are known as tetrapeptides, and the newly discovered fungus seemed to produce three kinds of tetrapeptides with entirely novel molecular structures.

Even more surprising was the observation that these unique molecules looked very similar to the kinds of molecules that influence opioid receptors in the human body.

Bad news - it'll be at least ten years and a billion dollars before it's ready to test on humans.

It'll probably never be heard of again, but I love the idea of a genuine alternative to opioids being found near a boat ramp at the arse end of nowhere.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Communists are itchy, fascists are scratchy

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The guy who was literally too genocidal for the Trump administration is actually a secret good guy

https://twitter.com/AndreiCherny/status/1183952099459112960?s=19

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MizPiz posted:

The guy who was literally too genocidal for the Trump administration is actually a secret good guy

how loving dare this twit compare a hero to that genocidal

uh

i mean

read another book?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

MizPiz posted:

If I understand the reference correctly (I've not actually read the harry potter books because I was old enough I wasn't a literal child when they came out) he's saying that John Bolton wants to gently caress the poo poo out of Melania Trump.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

These days, I don't know if they really read it. If you squint really, really hard, even the plot beat still looks utterly wrong, never mind the character.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Desperado Bones posted:

My wife got fully knocked out for her wisdom teeth, I got local and a guy hammering at my face for a good 20 minutes to get mine out (given I don't have good teeth, they seem to like staying in my head - one dentist couldn't pull one out before, so she cut it in half just took that out). Didn't get anything for post treatment. When I broke my jaw I got one pill while I was in the hospital an that was it.

In the complete opposite, my wife had a repetitive strain injury or something in her shoulder, and her doctor gave her 32 percs after the steroid injection in case it was sore. She was a nurse, and knew this was completely absurd.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

RoboRodent posted:

Nastyman posted:

It is straight up a for real diagnosed psychiatric disorder to think your friends and loved ones have been replaced by strangers.
I read it and thought word salad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Someone tell Donald Trump Junior to read his wikipedia page

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/spikedonline/status/1183774581242417154?s=21

Priti Patel was born in London.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Her right-wing views include homophobia and threatening to starve the Republic of Ireland.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

maswastaken posted:

Her right-wing views include homophobia and threatening to starve the Republic of Ireland.

Charles Trevelyan is back baby

https://twitter.com/gabebergado/status/1184145221694742528

Uh.....huh.

zoux has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Oct 15, 2019

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Violent anti Italian extremists.