Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
My dad is an ok cook. My mom is pretty bad and boils everything. It's weird, my granddad and great grandma (on my dad's side) were super awesome cooks and separately taught me a lot about Polish foods and I make them today for my kids. I don't know why boomers are poo poo at cooking but they really are. My kids loving love pierogies and galumpkis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

I do not miss old style GBS-writing.

I was surprised that it was from 2012, that writing style reminds me more of early-mid 2000's.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was surprised it was from SA. I would have pegged it as somebody's blog.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Croatoan posted:

My dad is an ok cook. My mom is pretty bad and boils everything. It's weird, my granddad and great grandma (on my dad's side) were super awesome cooks and separately taught me a lot about Polish foods and I make them today for my kids. I don't know why boomers are poo poo at cooking but they really are. My kids loving love pierogies and galumpkis.

My parents are both good cooks. Especially my mom. She was raised in a big family and learned to cook very early. My granddad was also a hunter so she learned how to prepare and cook all kinds of game. She told me once that during a trip to south Africa in her 20's she even helped carve and cook elephant meat. That's pretty badass :black101: So I've been exposed to all kinds of delicious and exotic and more traditional food as a kid, and it's probably why today I'm apparently a good cook and enjoy even the strangest dishes like pig's feet or veal's kidneys

I think it's extremely difficult to become a good cook if:
- you don't enjoy eating tasty food
- you weren't raised to appreciate eating good ingredients
- you didn't at least learn some cooking 101 with your parents as a kid

Maybe your mom's parents were lovely cooks too or just didn't enjoy eating good food

e: this just reminds me of the day my mom called for some help. When I arrived at their home she welcomed me with a bloody apron. She explained that she heard a deer being hit by a car nearby so they went and dumped it into the car trunk. She was trying to cut it to put it in the freezer but the bones were too hard to cut so she asked me to do it. Thanks mom. I almost believed you were going to ask me to help you dispose of dad's body when you opened the door covered in blood. At least I got a free deer leg

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Oct 15, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

My guess is that they grew up in the time when convenience food was really coming into it's own. Why exert any effort in cooking when you can just Shake 'n Bake it?

What really gets to me is that my parents are retired now and literally spend all day doing nothing, yet when it comes to cooking they literally only eat frozen dinners now.

EDIT:

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I think it's extremely difficult to become a good cook if:
- you don't enjoy eating tasty food
- you weren't raised to appreciate eating good ingredients
- you didn't at least learn some cooking 101 with your parents as a kid

Maybe your mom's parents where lovely cooks too or just didn't enjoy eating good food

I can agree to that, also I'd like to add that access to microwaves is detrimental. I know that in my youth when I hosed up my microwave and couldn't afford another one it was the first step for me in learning how to cook. Of course I'm still slow as hell at it because I had to teach myself everything for the reasons you mention.

I can also confirm that my grandparents were lovely cooks.

Iron Crowned has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Oct 15, 2019

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Maybe your mom's parents where lovely cooks too or just didn't enjoy eating good food
All I remember about their food was that my grandfather on that side would ask you how you like your meat cooked and would then promptly cook it to very well done no matter what you said so you're probably right.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
My mom is an early Boomer (born 1945) and basically hasn't changed her recipe collection since the early 80s. She has a collection of old neighborhood/church recipe books from the 70s and they are a fantastic look at Louisiana/Texas white people food. I make a chicken spaghetti of hers sometimes that includes canned mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup, canned chicken, shaky cheese and jarred pimentos and it's loving delicious, I have no idea why. I tried making it with real food once and it just wasn't the same. Good, but that nostalgia for the aggressively mediocre childhood comfort food is real and changing it feels wrong.

e: the recipe calls for oleo, which I'm like 100% sure isn't even a thing anymore (it's just margarine anyway)

TheKennedys has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Oct 15, 2019

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I have lived in the South almost all of my life and I still cannot fathom why the gently caress people smother a perfectly good salad with a handful of shredded cheddar cheese. It's like the standard here. It's gross and the flavor is strong enough that all you get is cheddar and dressing half the time. It adds nothing texture-wise as the cheese is cold and the salad is cold, it's all wet, cold clumps. Am I the only person in the Tri-state who doesn't like ranch or something? Dressing wise, Greek, Italian or a vinaigrette just DON'T go with cheddar!

A bit of crumbly blue cheese or parmesan or mozzarella? I get it. But why cheddar??

e: Even salads when my super redneck dad made them and boy, did he not ever eat a vegetable, would have a huge handful of shredded cheddar on them. Why? Just...what the gently caress.

empty sea has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Oct 15, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

#keto #healthybreakfast

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait, that's not pepperoni pizza????

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Nope, just some ugly bacon.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Croatoan posted:

My mom is a boomer but she has Polish heritage so she would make pierogies and galumpkis and the whole family would get together and make kielbasa from my grandpa's recipe.

I think the key is to have some cuisine to latch on to instead of just being generic white people food.

empty sea posted:

I have lived in the South almost all of my life and I still cannot fathom why the gently caress people smother a perfectly good salad with a handful of shredded cheddar cheese. It's like the standard here. It's gross and the flavor is strong enough that all you get is cheddar and dressing half the time. It adds nothing texture-wise as the cheese is cold and the salad is cold, it's all wet, cold clumps. Am I the only person in the Tri-state who doesn't like ranch or something? Dressing wise, Greek, Italian or a vinaigrette just DON'T go with cheddar!

A bit of crumbly blue cheese or parmesan or mozzarella? I get it. But why cheddar??

e: Even salads when my super redneck dad made them and boy, did he not ever eat a vegetable, would have a huge handful of shredded cheddar on them. Why? Just...what the gently caress.
Wait, where in the South is the Tri-state?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Croatoan posted:

:

CannonFodder posted:

My mom is a boomer but she has Polish heritage so she would make pierogies and galumpkis and the whole family would get together and make kielbasa from my grandpa's recipe.

Only if you have time, but of the bazillion different versions of galumpkis online, do any of them look like they'd be close to the ones you remember?

Been searching for this for years. An old family friend of my parents' made them and they were amazing, but she pronounced it "gwumpkie" and so my searches through cookbooks years later were in vain.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

TofuDiva posted:

Only if you have time, but of the bazillion different versions of galumpkis online, do any of them look like they'd be close to the ones you remember?

Been searching for this for years. An old family friend of my parents' made them and they were amazing, but she pronounced it "gwumpkie" and so my searches through cookbooks years later were in vain.

The ones online are anywhere from meh to bad to be honest. I'll PM you mine. As for how to pronounce it, the Polish pronunciation got easily bastardized into what she said or when I say "Gei-umkis".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CannonFodder posted:

I think the key is to have some cuisine to latch on to instead of just being generic white people food.

Wait, where in the South is the Tri-state?

I think just about every state is part of The Tri-State except for Alaska and Hawaii.

Zombear
Dec 4, 2007
Catchphrase!

Something offal.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zombear posted:

Something offal.

I'm seeing double!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I liked it better when it looked like a bread free pizza

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

TofuDiva posted:

Yep, that's pretty much how it's pronounced. The Polish is golabki (gołąbki), which should get you a lot more hits.

eta: I remember David Lynch marveling over how the city of Lodz (Łódź) is pronounced "woodge". :eng101:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
That L with a line in it that sounds like an American W :argh:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

CannonFodder posted:

That L with a line in it that sounds like an American W :argh:

It's in "kielbasa" (kiełbasa), too, making it more correctly "kew-basa."

KewwwwwwBASA
WHAT A SAUSAGE

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TheKennedys posted:

e: the recipe calls for oleo, which I'm like 100% sure isn't even a thing anymore (it's just margarine anyway)

Wasn't oleo that kind of oil that your body can't process so you won't get fat but also it caused explosive diarrhoea

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

spankmeister posted:

Wasn't oleo that kind of oil that your body can't process so you won't get fat but also it caused explosive diarrhoea

Oleo is an old name for margarine.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hirayuki posted:

KewwwwwwBASA
WHAT A SAUSAGE

There's a tune I haven't heard in a while.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'd like to learn how to speak polski but it's not really that handy so :effort:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spankmeister posted:

that was olestro, i believe

and it was only bad if you ate a whole big bag of chips at once

so of course everybody poo poo all over themselves

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Randaconda posted:

olestra under the brand name olean

I ate the lays lite that had it and never had a single issue. Probably ate 2-3 servings at most but not an entire family sized bag

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

empty sea posted:

I think it's the protein component vs. the sheer water/fiber of the vegetables that makes it nice to add cheese on salad. I would agree though, not cheddar, and not, like, 8 cups of the stuff. I like mozzarella, and parmesan personally on pretty much any salad I eat.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Randaconda posted:

Olestra, and the craze for it was loving weird. We were so fat-obsessed in the 90s that when a chip with "NO added FAT" came out we started gobbling them like calories weren't a thing. Even my fitness-obsessed family bought bags upon bags of them, and we didn't normally EVER buy potato chips.

Then the explosive poop thing came out and they vanished overnight. It never happened to us, but I assume if you eat an entire giant bag of ANY potato chips in one sitting bad things will probably happen to your colon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Olestra, and the craze for it was loving weird. We were so fat-obsessed in the 90s that when a chip with "NO added FAT" came out we started gobbling them like calories weren't a thing.

I mean some weirdos did I guess but the real benefit was that they had half the calories too

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I think it's the protein component vs. the sheer water/fiber of the vegetables that makes it nice to add cheese on salad. I would agree though, not cheddar, and not, like, 8 cups of the stuff. I like mozzarella, and parmesan personally on pretty much any salad I eat.

I like a little crumble of pecorino, for a bit of saltiness

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Olestra, and the craze for it was loving weird. We were so fat-obsessed in the 90s that when a chip with "NO added FAT" came out we started gobbling them like calories weren't a thing. Even my fitness-obsessed family bought bags upon bags of them, and we didn't normally EVER buy potato chips.

Then the explosive poop thing came out and they vanished overnight. It never happened to us, but I assume if you eat an entire giant bag of ANY potato chips in one sitting bad things will probably happen to your colon.

Between olestra and all the sorbitol/sugar-alcohol-based sugar alternative foods that featured "anal incontinence" in the fine print under the ingredient list, I'm pretty sure it wasn't just a matter of people pigging out because they thought they were suddenly invincible, though that is why the side effects affected people at a level the scientists never predicted because they assumed people would just eat normal human amounts and not like the LD50.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hirayuki posted:

KewwwwwwBASA
WHAT A SAUSAGE
My... my world has been shattered :negative:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Iron Crowned posted:

I liked it better when it looked like a bread free pizza

It is. It's pepperoni pizza, but with bacon instead of bread.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is this like, chemical warfare for people with peanut allergy?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Between olestra and all the sorbitol/sugar-alcohol-based sugar alternative foods that featured "anal incontinence" in the fine print under the ingredient list, I'm pretty sure it wasn't just a matter of people pigging out because they thought they were suddenly invincible, though that is why the side effects affected people at a level the scientists never predicted because they assumed people would just eat normal human amounts and not like the LD50.

Turns out the only people to have a problem with low-calorie foods are the ones who think it’s an excuse to eat an entire day’s worth of food in a single sitting while “being healthy.”

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Zombear posted:

Something offal.

Legit been looking at this since work. It's now 4pm and I just now noticed it's some sort if pizza made on top if bacon?? Ham??

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Legit been looking at this since work. It's now 4pm and I just now noticed it's some sort if pizza made on top if bacon?? Ham??

No pizza there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Croatoan posted:

My dad tended to fry the gently caress out of everything, from what I remember of him being around.. My mum boils everything to death. To be fair she is really great when it comes to stuff like cakes and desserts, but everything else just gets boiled to oblivion.

My grandad on my mum's side had an amazing vegetable garden and my sister and I used to love digging up carrots or eating snap peas off the vine, but our parents completely ignored all of his veg and insisted on making meals based on boiling all the things into the blandest food imaginable.

There really was a generation that ignored all the benefits of homegrown food and embraced the processed food culture.