Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ewiley posted:

Hold up did he tell a joke? Like Biden's campaign is as recoverable as Hillary's emails? Because like that's a decent joke and now I'm disturbed. Or maybe it's Poe's law

I just assumed he meant his campaign can't recover from this "scandal."

It's Trump. Choose the stupidest possible option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Pellisworth posted:

This isn't exactly politics, but an interesting agricultural tidbit: pregnancy rates for beef cattle are precipitously low this year. This is probably because of the long winter and flooding putting stress on the animals, they then fail to conceive.

My dad is a cattle rancher, his pregnancy rate is usually around 85-90% but the heifers we just checked were down around 50% which is abysmal. The vet said it's widespread, low pregnancy rates all over the Great Plains.

What this means is beef prices are probably going to skyrocket next year.

edit: more like late next year and early 2021. These are next year's calves would mostly come on the market spring 2021.

So now might be a good time to buy stock in those Impossible and Beyond beef companies?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

bobjr posted:

The current parents who vote against it also hurt themselves. I have a friend who teaches in a district where they removed a lot of buses due to the vote failing, and PTA meetings are apparently full of parents mad about how they bus their kid used is gone so now.

That would be staying consistent with short-sighted actions and votes.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Aramis posted:

Finally some good news.

It'll probably take a few years to recover, I'm certainly not an expert but I would guess around 5 years of high beef prices before herds are rebuilt. That's assuming good conditions, if there's drought or another bad winter who knows.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

VH4Ever posted:

So now might be a good time to buy stock in those Impossible and Beyond beef companies?

Maybe. The beef industry is incredibly influential and our political structure is incredibly corrupt, so it's entirely possible that the beef lobby will make a lot of noise and suddenly the Impossible Burger is found to cause* pancreatic cancer** or something. Alternatively: lol, who the gently caress has stock money?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
It’s gonna be awful as gently caress when the GOP blames the dems for high cheeseburger prices and Bubba falls for it hook, line and sinker. :stonk:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ershalim posted:

Maybe. The beef industry is incredibly influential and our political structure is incredibly corrupt, so it's entirely possible that the beef lobby will make a lot of noise and suddenly the Impossible Burger is found to cause* pancreatic cancer** or something. Alternatively: lol, who the gently caress has stock money?

what they've been doing is passing state by state laws banning people from describing the impossible burger with any words that relate to meat

because, you know, it's false advertising, people are confused by the existence of veggie burgers

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ripoff posted:

It’s gonna be awful as gently caress when the GOP blames the dems for high cheeseburger prices and Bubba falls for it hook, line and sinker. :stonk:

I mean they already were accusing AOC et. al of wanting to take all your burgers away.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Pellisworth posted:

It'll probably take a few years to recover, I'm certainly not an expert but I would guess around 5 years of high beef prices before herds are rebuilt. That's assuming good conditions, if there's drought or another bad winter who knows.

So are you telling me that... climate change... is going to take away my hamburgers?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

evilweasel posted:

what they've been doing is passing state by state laws banning people from describing the impossible burger with any words that relate to meat

because, you know, it's false advertising, people are confused by the existence of veggie burgers

I think Mississippi is leading this charge.

Also gently caress Mississippi.

Disclaimer: I live in Mississippi. It's terrible.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ripoff posted:

bubba doesn't loving matter and never will. people that vote GOP have and will continue to be lost causes and we'll all pay the price

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

bobjr posted:

I live in Ohio where school funding is voted on, and there are a lot of people who go “well I don’t have kids/mine already graduated, why should my money go to the schools?”

This happened in my hometown in NH. My high school had to close down sections while I was there because it wasn't up to fire code and they had buy portable classrooms to put on the baseball field because the town was full of people who no longer have anything to do with the school or parents who would rather pay to send there kid to private school than pay a little extra in taxes for improvements. The town eventually voted to fix a lot of the issues but it took almost 2 decades and took newer/younger families moving there to do something about it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

PT6A posted:

That's obviously not a sustainable solution, although I agree in the short term it is the correct course of action.

Schools are not sovereigns, they cannot print their own money, so they have to manage their budget carefully. If "lunch debt" is a problem, that money comes from somewhere else, and it's not like schools are flush with cash to just throw around willy-nilly. This means possibly diverting funds from maintenance, support staff, equipment, teachers, etc. The entire funding system is broken, and while that could take a long time to fix in a meaningful way, the one thing that could be done right now is for higher levels of government, either state or federal or both, to underwrite the provision of food to all children. If there's outstanding "lunch debt," that fund will pay it off, the school doesn't have to worry about their budget, and all children get to eat a proper meal.

See, this is the kind of numbers fuckstain bullshit that leads to kids not eating. In most schools, there are many many many places to get that money. Fire some school administrators, end the sports programs, fire the coaches, or just go into debt and feed the loving kids.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Toobly posted:

This happened in my hometown in NH. My high school had to close down sections while I was there because it wasn't up to fire code and they had buy portable classrooms to put on the baseball field because the town was full of people who no longer have anything to do with the school or parents who would rather pay to send there kid to private school than pay a little extra in taxes for improvements. The town eventually voted to fix a lot of the issues but it took almost 2 decades and took newer/younger families moving there to do something about it.

So things got better once the olds hosed off and/or died? Sounds about right.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

See, this is the kind of numbers fuckstain bullshit that leads to kids not eating. In most schools, there are many many many places to get that money. Fire some school administrators, end the sports programs, fire the coaches, or just go into debt and feed the loving kids.

you know who else thinks the solution to public school funding problems is to fire overpaid, useless administrators? (also public schools can't engage in deficit spending without public bond issuance, which gets back to the same local control of funding at the root of the problem)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VH4Ever posted:

Maybe. Probably? It seems like those companies have a lot of growth potential even absent an increase in beef prices.

What's currently happening is ranchers are deciding how many animals to keep over the winter. An "open" (not pregnant) cow is a loss, business-wise, because you have to feed them over the winter and they won't produce a calf to sell.

Since pregnancy rates are so low, that means ranchers are going to sell off many of their unbred cows. That means beef will probably be cheap in the short-term because of ranchers selling off open cows, then in spring 2021 there will be a lot fewer yearling calves on the market and prices will go up and stay high for several years.

skylined! posted:

So are you telling me that... climate change... is going to take away my hamburgers?

Well, kinda. What will probably happen is you'll see more heat-tolerant breeds like Brahma on the market. Their meat is generally considered inferior to Angus which are a less heat-tolerant breed.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

luxury handset posted:

you know who else thinks the solution to public school funding problems is to fire overpaid, useless administrators?

Normal people that deal with school administrators all the loving time?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

ah, common sense solutions at work

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

generally if you're at this point the local government has been putting the screws to you for a while and the fat has long since been trimmed. also, generally schools have no ability to independently issue their own debt, only the local government may do that.

the blame should be directed where it belongs: the local governments that implemented the general policy of denying children necessary funding, rather than the people put into the situation (against their will, generally) of deciding what vital need of children should be taken away as the result of the local government's actions

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrodyLevesque/status/1184141815684812801

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

luxury handset posted:

ah, common sense solutions at work

If you seriously don't think there is an issue with school funding going to admin staffs instead of teachers and kids then I don't even know where to start.

evilweasel posted:

generally if you're at this point the local government has been putting the screws to you for a while and the fat has long since been trimmed. also, generally schools have no ability to independently issue their own debt, only the local government may do that.

the blame should be directed where it belongs: the local governments that implemented the general policy of denying children necessary funding, rather than the people put into the situation (against their will, generally) of deciding what vital need of children should be taken away as the result of the local government's actions

Oh for sure, the issue is local governance, but the schools have responsibilities to kids, and should prioritize that over much of anything else (sports, admin staff, etc)

It's a loving tangled knot of local politics, embedded grifters, and people trying to do their best with nothing.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 15, 2019

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1184107312690139136

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

the less funding a school system has, the more unreasonable the administrators are going to seem because they don't have the funding to do things that obviously need to be done and so (a) they simply can't do things that need to be done; and (b) they get bitter about getting the blame for things that aren't their fault

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

pffffthahahahaha

I used to work for a school district that was facing severe budget shortfalls. They started cutting foreign language teachers before they grudgingly cut three of the nine(!) football coaches.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Glad we've mathematically proven that starving children is the fiscally responsible option, great work everybody

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

What a complete piece of silicone, botox grafted poo poo

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

I wonder if that's going to be a thing in the future. The GoP line might run with it. What she said is true, the average American doesn't know what a Kurd is, couldn't find Turkey on a map, and likely thinks of both of those things as being food. But like, if we make policies with that as a basis, can we also completely defund Wyoming? After all, the vast majority of Americans don't know where that is, either.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

luxury handset posted:

you know who else thinks the solution to public school funding problems is to fire overpaid, useless administrators? (also public schools can't engage in deficit spending without public bond issuance, which gets back to the same local control of funding at the root of the problem)

I'm honestly fine with sliming administrators, most of the toxic public discourse is focused on "bad teachers" meanwhile management gets a free pass for treating staff like poo poo and making terrible loving decisions that impact entire schools all the drat time.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If you seriously don't think there is an issue with school funding going to admin staffs instead of teachers and kids then I don't even know where to start.

i think the deeper problem is local control of highly fragmented school districts which source funding primarily from property taxes, which is an extremely antiquated system that bakes unequal outcomes into education from the beginning of childhood itself

go off about leech bureaucrats tho if you want

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

VitalSigns posted:

Glad we've mathematically proven that starving children is the fiscally responsible option, great work everybody

Great job misrepresenting the discussion. Obviously the lunch debt issue is horrific, and no amount of being fiscally responsible will ever change that, but I'm just saying the blame should be apportioned primarily to those who have the ability to control the budget, rather than to the individual schools who are left with a no-win choice and cannot issue debt on their own.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ershalim posted:

I wonder if that's going to be a thing in the future. The GoP line might run with it. What she said is true, the average American doesn't know what a Kurd is, couldn't find Turkey on a map, and likely thinks of both of those things as being food. But like, if we make policies with that as a basis, can we also completely defund Wyoming? After all, the vast majority of Americans don't know where that is, either.

whattya mean, there are TWO Dakotas?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

\

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So Ohio has a law where if a school district is in a state of emergency for long enough, the state basically takes over and names a "CEO" (god, Republicans are the worst) that replaces the superintendent and works alongside the school board. THEN, if after another set amount of time the school district STILL isn't hitting its goals or whatever, the state basically says gently caress you to the democratically elected school board and the governor appoints a brand new school board.

The first part happened to Youngstown City Schools around 3 or 4 years ago and the second part happened just this week.

I know administrators and school boards are garbage and/or crazy a lot of the times (that's the nature of democracy I guess, the people can elect incompetent morons) but I can assure you the answer to these problems is not running the school district like a business, which is what the Ohio GOP is essentially doing. Nevermind that the city of Youngstown's problems with poverty are the primary reason the school district suffers so much, not the leadership.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Issue in America, at least in California is how schools also get funded per student being in school daily, which makes them pack students for as long they can regardless of it being a good idea or not, they should have a fixed budget according to student number and size of school and not on how many students they can keep packed imprisoned all day.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

PT6A posted:

Great job misrepresenting the discussion. Obviously the lunch debt issue is horrific, and no amount of being fiscally responsible will ever change that, but I'm just saying the blame should be apportioned primarily to those who have the ability to control the budget, rather than to the individual schools who are left with a no-win choice and cannot issue debt on their own.

I'm not sure if this would work (and it likely wouldn't) but would it be possible for schools to order necessary things on credit and them simply fail to pay for them to force the issue to public attention? In the event a school becomes insolvent, what happens? Do they just shut down? Are the cities that don't have public schools any more?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That new school board is going to end up being pro-child labor to pay for the schools or something horrible I bet.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Even though voters' decisions about funding is the root of the problem, if the school is facing budget shortfalls and has to cut something, seems like "if we can't pass this bond we have to cut football" would be way more effective at motivating voters than "if we can't pass this bond, we'll just gently caress over poor kids so don't worry Karen, Ashton and Lakynn's extracurriculars will be just fine"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/darth/status/1184140765099970560

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

They would shut down, the people doing the ordering would be fired and/or the city itself would go into debt. But the budget would have to get approved by the city so they can't just operate in a vacuum and order a bunch of stuff on a card then shrug and say "whoops".

Edit: whoa, was looking at the wrong page. Can I delete? This post was in response to "why doesn't the school just buy a bunch of stuff on credit, fail to pay and then force it into the public attention".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

On a scale of 1 to "Attacking Jackie Chan in a ladder factory while he's holding a baby and already told you he doesn't want any trouble," how dumb is this administration?